UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What determines KO power?

7/15/13 1:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Purgey
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think most of it has to do with guys not turning into their punches/putting their weight behind them, think of Hendo/Marciano/Carwin, their entire bodies were behind their punches, now think Tyson/Lombard, they twist their whole bodies into punches but a guy like Bisping who doesn't have that much power and kind of throws arm punches.
Then of course there's guys who have it naturally such as Hendricks, Shogun and Ellenberger.

TLDR: their, twisting, bodies, punches.

I'm bored so I just started thinking about this. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:22 AM
brahmabull81
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Youre classifying them too much. Carwin has natural power, not just weight behind his punches. He KOd Gonzaga with like the weakest punch ever. Hendo dropped Rashad with a jab and KOd Wanderlei with a left hook, which is not his strongest punch at all due to him standing so sideways.
7/15/13 1:26 AM
Purgey
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

brahmabull81 - Youre classifying them too much. Carwin has natural power, not just weight behind his punches. He KOd Gonzaga with like the weakest punch ever. Hendo dropped Rashad with a jab and KOd Wanderlei with a left hook, which is not his strongest punch at all due to him standing so sideways.
I probably shouldn't have listed Carwin because he's at HW and everyone has KO power there, but I've seen the god quite a bit and it seems like he turns his hips over great for that right straight. I didn't see Rashad/Hendo, was it like Vladdy running into Gustafsson's jab? Hendo has a pretty good left hook, Bisping said Hendo kept tagging him with it, that's why he started circling into the H-Bomb. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:27 AM
Purgey

XIITT_rrefs - The bigger the butt, the more power.

Beep Phone Post
It's true. Carwin? Ghetto booty, Guillard? Ghetto booty, Elvis? Ghetto booty (those who know, know) Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:28 AM
Purgey

I'm so tired I legit LOL'd at God. I meant gif. :( Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:34 AM
t G G t
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

F = ma Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:47 AM
Unseen
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always thought there's at least two types of power (snapping and concussive).

There are also guys who may not have legendary power but have good accuracy like Anderson and every shot is on the button.

Finally there are guys with such good movement that they can catch you at a blind angle or always catch guys coming in like Roy Jones in his prime (like having the ability to sucker punch someone in the middle of a fight). Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:56 AM
Purgey

Unseen - I've always thought there's at least two types of power (snapping and concussive).

There are also guys who may not have legendary power but have good accuracy like Anderson and every shot is on the button.

Finally there are guys with such good movement that they can catch you at a blind angle or always catch guys coming in like Roy Jones in his prime (like having the ability to sucker punch someone in the middle of a fight). Phone Post 3.0
Examples of snapping power?

Anderson is definitely different, he catches you coming in, on the button, with insane accuracy.

RJJ was one of the trickiest boxers ever, he was incredibly creative and fast with great reflexes. You mean like what he did to James Toney?

I think Gustafsson is a good example of that, he always catches guys coming in. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 2:14 AM
wasssp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/15/13 2:16 AM
Hand size/weight is a huge determining factor. George Foreman, huge hands. Carwin, Brock? Huge hands.

Houston Alexander once confessed that the secret to his KO power was using those jack lalane hand grippers to build the muscles (size and weight increase)in his hands.

Bisping has Diaz-esque stamina, is hella-athletic and is technically sound, but Hector Lombard was quoted as saying, "Michael Bisping has got the smallest hands I've ever seen in my life."
I'm too lazy right now to come up with more/better examples, but I'm sure if a study were done, the correlation would be obvious.

Thing is, unlike in, say, the NFL combines, they don't measure handspan in mma.
7/15/13 3:00 AM
Chris's Weidman in Tom O'Butthole
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cus said you are born with it or not. He believed in his heart that it was a gift only nature could give a person. Phone Post
7/15/13 3:07 AM
Purgey

Wasssp:
That is true, but, Johny Hendricks is known for having huge KO power, right? His hands are laughably small, look at his weigh ins, they're very tiny yet he packs crazy power.

And then there's a guy like Ben Rothwell who IMO doesn't seem to have one shot KO power for a HW, he has many TKO's but only one KO that I can remember...and that's against Schaub.

I'm not saying you're wrong though, it seems to play a factor. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 3:12 AM
Purgey

Chris's Weidman in Tom O'Butthole - Cus said you are born with it or not. He believed in his heart that it was a gift only nature could give a person. Phone Post
So Jake Shields going vegan is his way of saying "FUCK YOU NATURE!"?

That's cool though, I never heard of Cus saying that. It just seems like the great KO punchers do things that the not so great KO punchers do. I wonder what other guys thoughts on this are like Roach, Mayweather etc. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 3:18 AM
LyotoBundy
311 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus. /thread Phone Post
7/15/13 3:21 AM
Purgey

LyotoBundy - Jesus. /thread Phone Post
Damn, I thought Jon Jones was Jesus' boy too.

Guess Jesus liked Hendo a little (lot) more. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 3:31 AM
armbarseverywhere
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHERE YOU PUNCH.

Seriously. There's a lot of truth to the 36 chambers or shaolin pressure points. There are nerve bundles in the body that cannot stand miniscule amounts of pressure. Overloading these points on the body causes the brain or limb to shut down. IT's all about accuracy.
7/15/13 3:32 AM
dubate
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Core strength, solid technique, God. Not necessarily in that order. Phone Post
7/15/13 4:51 AM
xXJayRobXx
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mechanics Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 5:02 AM
Ajm1218
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knocking people technique,reaction time and speed seem to be the biggest factors. Power is simply mass multiplied by speed equals power. But I see guys who can punch as powerful as pro boxers but don't k.o. people. They can't put themselves in position to land a k.o. punch or they're too slow on the trigger when the opportunity presents itself. You're always going to have freaks who are so heavy handed that they can knock people out from hitting someone anywhere on the head, but those guys are far and few between.
7/15/13 5:08 AM
DontBeScaredGomi
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forearms=punching power Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 5:10 AM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's mainly technique. The more of your bodyweight you get into a shot the harder you hit. When you combine that with accuracy - a punch on the jaw will ko someone better than a punch on the collar bone - then you can see both are a matter of technique.
7/15/13 5:11 AM
ChaosOverkill
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The gooch, it's all in the gooch

7/15/13 5:16 AM
spliff
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your power level
7/15/13 5:18 AM
armbarseverywhere
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - It's mainly technique. The more of your bodyweight you get into a shot the harder you hit. When you combine that with accuracy - a punch on the jaw will ko someone better than a punch on the collar bone - then you can see both are a matter of technique.

Accuracy.
7/15/13 6:15 AM
Bootsy Collins
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Power of Greyskull imo
7/15/13 7:35 AM
Bobby Lupo
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The people who fucked to make you

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.