UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva: There was no lack of respect

7/15/13 12:35 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Suffering a knockout loss to Chris Weidman after doing a lot of clowning around in the cage, a lot of people pointed to Silva as having a lack of respect for his opponent which led to his loss. In interview yesterday with Brazil's Globo TV, Silve said that was not the case at all, citing his antics as 'part of the show':

"If Muhammad Ali came up saying I wasn’t humble, then I’d think if I was humble or not," he said in a Sunday interview on Brazil's Globo TV. "There was no lack of respect. I respect everybody. All the provocation, hands down... It should continue, it’s part of the show"

"Nobody likes to lose," Silva said. "I train four months to win. But you end [up] learning with your mistakes, and I learned the worst way possible. After everything that happened, we calm down and I realized I had something to question, even question Anderson Silva. I lost to myself, and that’s the worst loss. Losing by knockout shakes you, [it] will be in history, but will leave a lesson."

"Everybody has to retire, but it’s not my time yet," Silva said. "I’ll get a rematch. Chris gave me this opportunity and we’re fighting again. That’s another chance to overcome, reinvent myself as a person and athlete."

read entire article...

"There was no lack of respect. I respect everybody. All the provocation, hands down... It should continue, it’s part of the show"

7/15/13 12:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
theoutsiders
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THIS sounds like hungry silva again. Was waiting for comments like that.

WAR SILVA!!!! Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 12:44 PM
tubuku01
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rip weidman Phone Post
7/15/13 12:46 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comonoa Yaaaah Hah! Phone Post
7/15/13 12:47 PM
6ULDV8
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theoutsiders - THIS sounds like hungry silva again. Was waiting for comments like that.

Sounds the opposite to me.  He'll have the big payday and then respectfully hand over the belt to the new guy.

Time's a bitch, but it catches all of us eventually.  The Spider is awesome, but pushing 40.

I'd like to see him go out a boss, and not a beaten down former champ.

Hespect

7/15/13 12:50 PM
stevekt
706 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serious Silva is here. He back. Phone Post
7/15/13 12:52 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should get his belt back and then retire. He literally would have nothing left to prove/accomplish in the sport.

7/15/13 12:59 PM
Ip Man 81
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva will wreck Weidman this time around. No doubt Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:03 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

He should get his belt back and then retire. He literally would have nothing left to prove/accomplish in the sport.

He's going to try to get some type of fight with Roy Jones and I still don't think Jon Jones is impossible based on what he was saying the week of the fight. I definitely don't think he'll fight out the rest of his contract though. Phone Post
7/15/13 1:05 PM
The Black Cheez
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eh. I thought Silva was going to destroy Weidman the first time. I'll definitely root for Silva again, but I don't want the heartbreak of another devastating loss. I think Silva has the skill to dismantle Weidman, I truly hope he is going to be at least a little more cautious with Weidman. Phone Post
7/15/13 1:08 PM
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure ppl will turn this into something negative, but I like this statement.

He admitted he got to into his own hype, which I think explains the excess taunting, "I realized I had something to question, even question Anderson Silva. I lost to myself, and that’s the worst loss."

But also admitted the taunting is something he always does, something he's built his counter-style around, and something that won't simply disappear, "There was no lack of respect. I respect everybody. All the provocation, hands down... It should continue, it’s part of the show"

There's a mild bit of self contradiction, but I think that's language barrier -- I don't think he meant he lost to himself as a way to disparage Weidman, but in the same way Sonnen has claimed to lose to himself.

He wasn't doing anything he thinks is counter to his success or style and he doesn't think he handed the fight over to Weidman, but that he'll need to go back to the drawing board now that he's lost his first fight, and find a way to fine tune the taunting since that's how he likes fighting.

WAR SPIDER
7/15/13 1:18 PM
tenchu

I hope we don't see too much taunting and clowning this time and around. I'd rather see more reliance on skill and techniques over ming games, which was Andy's downfall.
7/15/13 1:18 PM
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 - 
theoutsiders - THIS sounds like hungry silva again. Was waiting for comments like that.

Sounds the opposite to me.  He'll have the big payday and then respectfully hand over the belt to the new guy.

Time's a bitch, but it catches all of us eventually.  The Spider is awesome, but pushing 40.

Hespect

While I agree, I think it's still to early to tell if age has gotten him or if he's simply had someone get the better.

He's too old to be in his physical prime, but considering he wanted to retire at 35 -- amidst heavy criticism over recent performances and at a time when ppl were ranking GSP over him --, but he's actually looked most impressive post-35 -- since the Maia fight he straight matrixed everyone, excluding the Sonnen win which was a beautiful comeback off of someone chating while he was injured -- we can't say he's past his overall prime...

I mean hell, Randy didn't start to compete until 33, so even though he was well past his physical prime, his physiological age was still young as hell, having taken no damage, and his overall prime as a fighter wasn't until years later after he had some time to round out his skill set and hit his groove.

And I know EVERYONE goes on about, "Oh, big deal, every fighter is his biggest challenger...etc," I honestly can't remember the last time a challenger had such a small betting gap as Weidman. Not to mention my friends and I are hardly the type to buy into each challenger's hype, certainly didn't expect Sonnen's first showing to go the way it did, and yet we all knew there was something about Weidman that screamed future.

I think his next few fights, assuming he completes at least half his contract, will really show if AS is just getting outpaced by new guys, or if his age is starting to decay him notably... I'm sure age is a factor, but I can't yet tell if it's the main one or even a significant one, yet
7/15/13 1:28 PM
MattyECB

tenchu - I hope we don't see too much taunting and clowning this time and around. I'd rather see more reliance on skill and techniques over ming games, which was Andy's downfall.

Cote, Leites and Maia had one big thing in common imo -- we saw how much more impotent Andy is when he isn't getting blitzed.

He definitely needs a happy medium, but he's best when counter striking an aggressive wrestler or a brawler -- I'll never forget how quickly he dismantled Leben and at a time when Leben was noshing on Haymakers like he was a dog being handed snausages.

And even Hendo with his 1st round of stifling top game -- the second round he didn't try to clinch or TD once and we really saw, even a second of deciding to exchange or test your chin, spells death against AS.

But how he's going to handle, not necessarily fast or hard strikers, but ones who have a good grasp of fundamentals and reach and who understand AS' limitations are the next batch of fighters I'm curious if he can overcome. I don't think he can be anywhere near as effective without ANY taunting if facing certain styles.

And really, he got caught doing his halfassed rope-a-dope imo, and I don't think he's going to stop that type of taunting. The stanky leg, might've thrown him off, but he kept his composure after that and dodged two/three more punches -- only getting screwed when Weidman's right-right double up with the backfist caused him to misfire and slip to his inside for the lead hook.

Maybe a proper rope-a-dope with hands up, or only dropping the hands when you're at least keeping proper stance and distance -- none of that squared up bullshit and with a fully extended back leaning away.

Anyways, mental masterbation aside and tl;dr,

I don't think he can just stop taunting, I'm more curious how he's going to fine-tune and alter it. It'll be funny if after all this talk about Weidman's striking, he just gets grapplefucked for five rounds lol
7/15/13 1:35 PM
Kenso
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Es normal. Tens for Dana.
7/15/13 1:36 PM
Soul Gravy

MattyECB - 
6ULDV8 - 

Hespect

While I agree, I think it's still to early to tell if age has gotten him or if he's simply had someone get the better.

He's too old to be in his physical prime, but considering he wanted to retire at 35 -- amidst heavy criticism over recent performances and at a time when ppl were ranking GSP over him --, but he's actually looked most impressive post-35 -- since the Maia fight he straight matrixed everyone, excluding the Sonnen win which was a beautiful comeback off of someone chating while he was injured -- we can't say he's past his overall prime...

I mean hell, Randy didn't start to compete until 33, so even though he was well past his physical prime, his physiological age was still young as hell, having taken no damage, and his overall prime as a fighter wasn't until years later after he had some time to round out his skill set and hit his groove.

And I know EVERYONE goes on about, "Oh, big deal, every fighter is his biggest challenger...etc," I honestly can't remember the last time a challenger had such a small betting gap as Weidman. Not to mention my friends and I are hardly the type to buy into each challenger's hype, certainly didn't expect Sonnen's first showing to go the way it did, and yet we all knew there was something about Weidman that screamed future.

I think his next few fights, assuming he completes at least half his contract, will really show if AS is just getting outpaced by new guys, or if his age is starting to decay him notably... I'm sure age is a factor, but I can't yet tell if it's the main one or even a significant one, yet

Physical prime is generally 35 years old.
7/15/13 1:38 PM
Matrixkick
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, but that shit WAS disrespectful! Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 1:38 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soul Gravy - 
MattyECB - 
6ULDV8 - 

Hespect

35?! Seriously?

I'd say more like 25-29.

7/15/13 2:02 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
Soul Gravy - 
MattyECB - 
6ULDV8 - 

Hespect

35?! Seriously?

I'd say more like 25-29.

Usually pro athletes hit their primes from like 29-34ish though. When their skills are at their best but still haven't lost too much physically. And in MMA a lot of guys don't hit their primes until mid 30's.

With Silva he hasn't looked like he's slowed down much, but I'm not sure how he'll come back after being KO'd at that age. Phone Post
7/15/13 2:06 PM
brahmabull81
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Andy. It seems he shook his disdain for his position as the perennial top guy and now wants it back now that he lost it and discovered how much it actually still meant to him.
7/15/13 2:14 PM
Moist Gracie
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

someone mind shopping dana in this one?

http://www.foxmoviechannel.com/images/movie_details/96L0008_lg_1_Samuel-L.-Jackson-as-Reverend-Fred-Sultan.jpg

7/15/13 2:47 PM
Dongbar13
501 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soul Gravy - 
MattyECB - 
6ULDV8 - 

Hespect

just out of curiosity... how old are you?

7/15/13 2:47 PM
dermotfix
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His 'hands down' and disrespecting his opponent was the only thing that looked like it might work for him.

He was always serious Silva and he's not changing this strategy.

We will see the same thing from him, like it or not.

Personally, I like it.

7/15/13 2:55 PM
cecils_pupils

"There was no lack of respect. I respect everybody. All the provocation, hands down... It should continue, it’s part of the show"

That is a matter of opinion. Weidman clearly felt disrespected, Maia as well, and many fans feel the same. Hopefully getting knocked out with your hand down will make Silva respect Weidman. He's a fool if he doesn't.
7/15/13 3:29 PM
Ironhouse
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This KO didn't make sense to me when it happened. That last time I thought that was Chuck vs Rampage. Silvas next fight will show what path he is on.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.