UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lombard: UFC wanted me to drop to welterweight

7/15/13 11:15 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Hector Lombard recently revealed that he would be dropping to the welterweight division to fight Nate Marquardt. The decision, however, was not his he revealed on today's edition of the MMA Hour:

"That wasn't my plans, UFC wanted me to go to 170. They believe that I have, that I will perform better at 170 than 185. I have to do what the bosses say you know. Can't argue with the bosses. If it were up to me, I would have stayed at 185. I have to be disciplined and I have to do what they want me to do. I've been training hard and I think I will be able to make it and I will be able to perform better that way. "That wasn't my plans, UFC wanted me to go to 170."

7/15/13 11:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sincitydc
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not shocking. It's his chance to salvage a career in the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
7/15/13 11:34 PM
Kings21
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how well he'll make weight. He's a pretty solid, thick and tight dude isnt he?
7/15/13 11:52 PM
jwistead
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - I wonder how well he'll make weight. He's a pretty solid, thick and tight dude isnt he?

I've seen a few pictures of him recently, he looks like he's already dropped a ton of muscle. Makes me optimistic he'll be acclimatized to 170 when he shows up on fight night. Good on him for doing things the right way, if so.

I could only find this thread to substantiate my claim...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=2192919
7/15/13 11:55 PM
cool hand Ed
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was a wise decision. He looked small compared to the other middleweights he fought. Phone Post
7/15/13 11:56 PM
Kings21
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jwistead - 
Kings21 - I wonder how well he'll make weight. He's a pretty solid, thick and tight dude isnt he?

I've seen a few pictures of him recently, he looks like he's already dropped a ton of muscle. Makes me optimistic he'll be acclimatized to 170 when he shows up on fight night. Good on him for doing things the right way, if so.

I could only find this thread to substantiate my claim...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=2192919

Does look a bit smaller there so I'll take your word for it. Hope its not an issue for him.
7/15/13 11:57 PM
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the money he's getting paid, he better listen.

Worst investment the UFC has made in quite some time.
7/15/13 11:57 PM
Chaelismyhero

I bet he weighs in a Rumbleweight.
7/16/13 12:50 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming - For the money he's getting paid, he better listen.

Worst investment the UFC has made in quite some time.
You could argue it hurt their competition at Bellator though. Phone Post
7/16/13 1:35 AM
Chris27

UFC isnt paying him 300k a fight to lose to top MW and they arent gonna pay him that to beat bums.  So its either try WW and get your career going again or get cut. I'll bet you anything Bellator and WSOF arent paying him 300k a fight if the UFC cuts him.

Lombard was paid that much because they wanted to take a champ from Bellator who was on a 20 plus fight win streak, put him on Fox vs Stann, get him a win and then have Silva embarrass him.  That way they would say see, this is the champ at Bellator who Bjorn said is the best in the world, see what Silva did to him.  Plus it would be a big fight, champ vs Bellator champ, MW tyson on a huge win streak.  So they figured the investment would atleast pay off getting to stick it to Bellator and get a big fight out of it.

Instead the Stann fight on Fox fell through, he went on a PPV vs Tim B, lost a terribly boring decision and that killed all his hype and any shot at getting him in a title fight.  Then he won a fight nad lost to Okami. 

That investment didnt pay off, moving to WW and beating Nate impressively would establish himself as a contender to watch out for in a div that he is built for. 

7/16/13 1:42 AM
yellow wrkahlc is dead

I just hope he isn't another Papy situation. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:43 AM
bknumber1
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see what they said but I hear "we want you to start winning fights". Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:47 AM
time traveling 12er
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - 

UFC isnt paying him 300k a fight to lose to top MW and they arent gonna pay him that to beat bums.  So its either try WW and get your career going again or get cut. I'll bet you anything Bellator and WSOF arent paying him 300k a fight if the UFC cuts him.

Lombard was paid that much because they wanted to take a champ from Bellator who was on a 20 plus fight win streak, put him on Fox vs Stann, get him a win and then have Silva embarrass him.  That way they would say see, this is the champ at Bellator who Bjorn said is the best in the world, see what Silva did to him.  Plus it would be a big fight, champ vs Bellator champ, MW tyson on a huge win streak.  So they figured the investment would atleast pay off getting to stick it to Bellator and get a big fight out of it.

Instead the Stann fight on Fox fell through, he went on a PPV vs Tim B, lost a terribly boring decision and that killed all his hype and any shot at getting him in a title fight.  Then he won a fight nad lost to Okami. 

That investment didnt pay off, moving to WW and beating Nate impressively would establish himself as a contender to watch out for in a div that he is built for. 

I wonder if they think it was anywhere worth the investment? On one side he could be crushing cans in Bellator and all the usual suspects would call him one of the best in the world. But 300k a fight is a lot for what he's producing.
7/16/13 1:48 AM
mmamozza
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude has a ton of talent, just needs to pull the trigger and cut off guys instead of following them.

7/16/13 2:47 AM
xXJayRobXx
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta do something to get him into the win column. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 4:31 AM
iodio

Lombard is great, his only loss was a decision against Okami, and you say he ain't worth the money the UFC gave him?
7/16/13 4:35 AM
WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

leave hector guzman alone

7/16/13 4:37 AM
xXJayRobXx
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iodio - Lombard is great, his only loss was a decision against Okami, and you say he ain't worth the money the UFC gave him?
He's 1-2 in the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 4:58 AM
Winston Wolf

sound like hes having trouble making 170
7/16/13 5:05 AM
iodio

xXJayRobXx - 
iodio - Lombard is great, his only loss was a decision against Okami, and you say he ain't worth the money the UFC gave him?

I perfectly know they wanted Boetsch to be a contender but they failed miserably.
7/16/13 5:17 AM
JetSetter

You're horrible so I think its a good idea.

What's the alternative? Staying at your current weight and getting thrashed? Not a good career choice Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 5:18 AM
Bootsy Collins
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iodio - 
xXJayRobXx - 

I perfectly know they wanted Boetsch to be a contender but they failed miserably.

Please to be repeating in English
7/16/13 6:25 AM
TheFaintingGOATClownedAwayMySN
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They prob want their money's worth! Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 7:34 AM
ThickS0lid N Right
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - I wonder how well he'll make weight. He's a pretty solid, thick and tight dude isnt he?
Indeed ;) Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 7:40 AM
Affliction Blackbelt
318 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Things looked like they were starting to click in the 3rd against Okami. At WW debut I hope he gets that sense of urgency from the start of round 1.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.