UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> MacDonald: It was fun beating on BJ Penn

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
7/16/13 1:23 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Is Rory MacDonald a little off?

'Ares' fights Jake Ellenberger at UFC on FOX 8 on July 27, 2013 at the Key Arena in Seattle, and Ellenberger has been trying to put asses in seats with some lively trash talk.

"Rory: Welcome to "Chez' Ellenberger," tweeted Ellenberger recently. "Tonight's special is CANVAS SANDWICHES served FACE DOWN. Bon' appetit'!"

"I haven't said anything that wasn't true," said Ellenberger when asked about the trash talk. "My message to Rory was pretty clear... This isn't a Tears for Fears lookalike contest. All I said to him is prepare for some horizontal television time and I meant it."

Rather than engaging in much pre fight trash talk, MacDonald discusses his opponents with a demeanor that draws comparisons with the fictional character Patrick Bateman from American Psycho or Dexter.

"(Trash talk) doesn't really bother me to tell you the truth," MacDonald told Bleacher Report. "It's just talk. People have been talking s--- about me my whole life so I've gotten pretty used to dealing with it. At the end of the day I usually come out on top so I'm not really worried about his talking."

"It comes across as kind of childish, and it just seems like there's a lot of insecurities when people start talking like that or they're just trying to get more fans or more attention on themselves, they're trying to make themselves more confident. I really don't know."

"I really just try to focus on myself and the martial arts side of things. It doesn't really interest me, the whole s--- talking thing. When it happens I voice my opinion on it sometimes, but it's very childish. I don't really think it has a place in martial arts.

"It's like the new model for promoting a fight in mixed martial arts. For me, I never understood it. It reminds me of high school sometimes. The way all the UFC fighters have been talking to each other, the way they have been very immature. The way people respond too has been on the most part immature as well. I think people need to learn how to keep it classy a little bit."

"I don't ever know the people I fight at all. I just know their name and I show up on the night, they show up, and we fight in a cage and we paid for it. That's what we like to do."

"I just focus on the fight part of it and the rest of it will take care of itself. I kind of felt like my career has been that way. I've moved up the ranks pretty fast because of the way I've performed. I don't think I need to change anything."

"I think he's a good fighter. He's got a lot of good tools, but I think he's got a lot of weaknesses as well. I think I'll be able to exploit them quite well and I'm very confident that I'll have a dominant victory."

A downside of trash talking Rory MacDonald is that he may try to hurt you a little more.

"The B.J. fight, I was having fun just beating on him," MacDonald told MMAjunkie.com. "He was talking a little bit of trash, so I figured I might just hurt him a little bit more."

MacDonald said Ellenberger's talk has not changed anything for him.

"Not for me," said MacDonald. "Maybe it is for him, but at the end of the day, this is my job, to fight. I don't let trash talk or anything get in the way or a difference in my focus or my emotions. He could be the nicest guy, or the rudest guy.

"He chose that route, and really, it doesn't make a difference to me. I'm going in there to win a fight, regardless of what attitude he brings in there.

"My last opponent had some stuff to say, too. At the end of the day, it's just bickering. The great thing about our job is that we get to solve our problems because we get locked in a cage, and they tell us to fight."

"Sometimes you train so hard and for so long and you only get 15 minutes max of game day for a few times a year. So sometimes it's nice to spend a little time in there and get hit once or twice or hit him a little more. Sometimes it's just a little more fun. Sometimes, you just want to hurt someone and devastate their lives fast. But I only react to how I'm feeling that night."

What do you think UG? Is MacDonald taking an admirable stand, or is there something about his interviews - a lack of emotion, of empathy - that is a little uncomfortable?

7/16/13 1:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caseharts
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Rory by sub Phone Post
7/16/13 1:27 PM
GoatBallerina_331
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He just crossed the fucking line...
7/16/13 1:29 PM
BshMstr
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like what he says at the end...

while i'm sure every fighter wants to win without getting injured, the reality is, you've trained months for a single fight. maybe you wanna see if a particular technique you drill will work, or if it stills needs practice.... maybe you wanna test your own cardio, and your own heart.

7/16/13 1:29 PM
Card
2031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/16/13 1:30 PM
Rudi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Inb4 shitstorm Phone Post
7/16/13 1:31 PM
digthisbigcrux
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not saying it...but what I'm thinking is 100% pure fighter bashing

7/16/13 1:32 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He beat an aging natural 155'er.

I'm glad he had fun doing it, though. I'm sure Jake will have fun bouncing his head off the canvas soon. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:32 PM
OneGloveJimmerson
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guy enjoys his work who cares. Whats he supposed to do? Cry about it?
7/16/13 1:35 PM
YousHerName
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate this kid. Hope Ellenberger knocks him the fuck out Phone Post
7/16/13 1:36 PM
TheSuperiorMan

I think op is a faggot.... lol zomg
7/16/13 1:38 PM
Rudi

YousHerName - I hate this kid. Hope Ellenberger knocks him the fuck out Phone Post
Wont happen. Phone Post
7/16/13 1:39 PM
Logan Stantons finger
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just for that, I hope Ellenberger knocks his head off. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:41 PM
xXJayRobXx
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh shit. Here they come. Phone Post 3.0
Leck Brosnar

BJ took some brutal shots, even did the stanky leg.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/f392e112c057a41dac397243d20e8fe8/tumblr_merio05tc91qfrkf9o1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ee7b32378a297b0a70c6b7a66de7fe89/tumblr_mert4uqbgn1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

CaliKush
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frat/sub for response after I listen to it. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:42 PM
Logan Stantons finger
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card -

It's weird to see white guys try to showboat. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:42 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bitch Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:43 PM
Logan Stantons finger

Almost as bad as watching them dance at the club. Ala Randy Couture. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:44 PM
Rudi

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - Bitch Phone Post 3.0
U mad? Phone Post
7/16/13 1:44 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Logan Stantons finger -
Card -

There's no rhythm...it's horrible. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:45 PM
CaliKush
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hes a psycho that's a great fighter Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:46 PM
Logan Stantons finger

yellow wrkahlc is dead -
Logan Stantons finger -
Card -

Just like dancing in the club. Awkward. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:48 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead

Logan Stantons finger -
yellow wrkahlc is dead -
Logan Stantons finger -
Card -

It doesn't necessarily bother me that he was showboating. It bothers me that he look awkward doing it.

I didn't think there was such a thing as showing off wrong. I guess there is... Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 1:48 PM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Logan Stantons finger -
yellow wrkahlc is dead -
Logan Stantons finger -
Card -

Well he was in the awkward scenario of fighting a BJ, not for one Phone Post 3.0
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.