UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Performance bonuses here to stay

7/16/13 5:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

There has been an extended discussion within the UFC, and the fan base, as to whether there should be a pay raise for entry level fighters, paid for by shuttering the 'Of The Night' performance bonuses, as well as dscretionary 'locker room' bonuses.

In an interview during today’s media conference call for UFC on Fox 8: Johnson vs. Moraga, MMASucka.com asked UFC president Dana White if there was a possibility of future UFC contracts being broken up into show money, win money, and finish money while doing away with the 'OTN' bonuses,.

“No," said White. "After I talked about looking at what we’re doing with the bonuses, the fighters all made it clear that they want to keep the post-fight bonuses and the discretionary bonuses.”

What do you think UG?

7/16/13 5:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BTT-RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's hilarious that a 1.5 billion dollar company had to choose between the bonuses or paying the lower teired fighters more. Just shows how much backlash they are getting for their contracts/low pay. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 6:15 PM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like it.
7/16/13 6:27 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pay has been increasing steadily, not fast by any means, but it is going up.

Just a matter of time I think.
7/16/13 6:27 PM
Mix6APlix

FANTASTIC! Now when questioned why undercard fighters can't pay their bills, Dana can just say 'This is the way they wanted it."

7/16/13 6:49 PM
Brian J DSouza

Mertvaya Ruka - Pay has been increasing steadily, not fast by any means, but it is going up.

Nothing is going to change in time. As long as a company can string employees (or contractors) along for as long as possible, that's what they will do.

7/16/13 6:52 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTT-RyannVonDoom - I think it's hilarious that a 1.5 billion dollar company had to choose between the bonuses or paying the lower teired fighters more. Just shows how much backlash they are getting for their contracts/low pay. Phone Post 3.0

They didn't. And it'd be nice if they'd raise the floor anyway now.

To give them just a tiny bit of credit, from what I can gather it does seem like the norm for new contracts is now $8k + $8k instead of $6k + $6k. While that's nice, this still is paying a UFC rookie who loses their first fight and wins their second $24k a year when they have to pay out of pocket for every facet of training as well as flying out a second cornerman for their fights. When you take out those things they end up making the same as they would working full time at McDonald's (maybe a bit less in fact).

7/16/13 6:54 PM
catgobling

nothing wrong with the current fighter pay. what obligations do 6/6 fighters have to fulfill? having the opportunity to make a smooth 12 grand in 15 minutes is good enough. then you figure in OTN bonuses and it gets pretty lucrative.
7/16/13 7:03 PM
Mix6APlix

I pray every time that there is a 300 million dollar powerball that I am the sole winner. I would start my own promo and pay fighters what they deserve.
7/16/13 7:07 PM
Mix6APlix

catgobling - nothing wrong with the current fighter pay. what obligations do 6/6 fighters have to fulfill? having the opportunity to make a smooth 12 grand in 15 minutes is good enough. then you figure in OTN bonuses and it gets pretty lucrative.

Yeah. It's only 15 minutes. They really just show up and fight. They don't train 2, 3 times a day. They don't sacrifice family time to go to top camps. They don't have bills to pay during the 6 months in between fights. You are totally correct.
7/16/13 7:12 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

catgobling - nothing wrong with the current fighter pay. what obligations do 6/6 fighters have to fulfill? having the opportunity to make a smooth 12 grand in 15 minutes is good enough. then you figure in OTN bonuses and it gets pretty lucrative.

Let's see, for the privelege of fighting twice a year (or three times a year if they're very lucky) for that sweet $12 grand (although, since every fight has a winner and loser, the average they'll take home at that pay rate is $9 grand) they have the obligation of two 8-9 week training camps, paying their gym, paying all other training expenses out of pocket, and paying for a second cornerman's airline ticket and hotel room if they want more than one cornerman. They also have rent and utilities and other living expenses. This is if they are single without children.

In short, very few people making $6k + $6k twice a year can live off of it without other forms of income. While the new UFC base-pay appears to be $8k + $8k now, this doesn't change that.

7/16/13 7:14 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least Zuffa survey'd the fighters for their opinion.
7/16/13 7:16 PM
bknumber1
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix -

Yeah. It's only 15 minutes. They really just show up and fight. They don't train 2, 3 times a day. They don't sacrifice family time to go to top camps. They don't have bills to pay during the 6 months in between fights. You are totally correct.
Thank you for beating me to it. Anyone who still says fighters make xxx for xxx minutes is living under a rock. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 7:18 PM
crossfire

OP is a fag.
VD Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 7:33 PM
catgobling

Chromium - 

Let's see, for the privelege of fighting twice a year (or three times a year if they're very lucky) for that sweet $12 grand (although, since every fight has a winner and loser, the average they'll take home at that pay rate is $9 grand) they have the obligation of two 8-9 week training camps, paying their gym, paying all other training expenses out of pocket, and paying for a second cornerman's airline ticket and hotel room if they want more than one cornerman. They also have rent and utilities and other living expenses. This is if they are single without children.

In short, very few people making $6k + $6k twice a year can live off of it without other forms of income. While the new UFC base-pay appears to be $8k + $8k now, this doesn't change that.

i dont get the premise that these guys shouldnt have to work full time jobs while they are still trying to build a name for themselves.

the amount they need to prepare is relative to the competition they are fighting. if they are fighting other dudes that have to work full time jobs and figure out how to fight on the side then what is the big deal?

what do they really have to do get on with the UFC in the first place? win a few fights in smaller shows? eating clean and staying in shape isnt that costly, maybe a dojo fee as well? rich franklin was a high school school teacher (notoriously underpaid profession) and was able to do it. hell, getting his degrees just to be employable as a teacher was probably harder than getting into the big show.

true fighters will find a way to persevere.

also some nights the undercard guys are grabbing 75k bonuses so that 9k average is inaccurate.

7/16/13 7:39 PM
RKing85
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good.

Those bonuses are needed.
7/16/13 7:54 PM
Il Duce
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if these are the same fighters who all picked Weidman. Phone Post 3.0
7/16/13 7:55 PM
jimbonice

Why, of course they are. They were never going anywhere. Phone Post
7/16/13 7:58 PM
Thacommish
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beast of America - 
BTT-RyannVonDoom - I think it's hilarious that a 1.5 billion dollar company had to choose between the bonuses or paying the lower teired fighters more. Just shows how much backlash they are getting for their contracts/low pay. Phone Post 3.0

Do you ever say anything positive about the UFC?

Like say oh without the UFC, your lower tier fighters would be fighting in bingo halls right now for $200?

So you understand the point he is making and you are not disagreeing with it, however you just want him to throw in some compliments while hes at it? For what fucking purpose?
7/16/13 7:59 PM
Thacommish
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Il Duce - I wonder if these are the same fighters who all picked Weidman. Phone Post 3.0

yup , ALL of them!
7/16/13 8:31 PM
ChaosOverkill
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - 

FANTASTIC! Now when questioned why undercard fighters can't pay their bills, Dana can just say 'This is the way they wanted it."

After asking all the Champs and Hector Lombard

7/16/13 8:45 PM
time traveling 12er
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thacommish - 
Beast of America - 

Like say oh without the UFC, your lower tier fighters would be fighting in bingo halls right now for $200?

So you understand the point he is making and you are not disagreeing with it, however you just want him to throw in some compliments while hes at it? For what fucking purpose?

What point is he making? Saying they can afford it without knowing how much money they make and how much it costs to run the business? That doesn't sound like much of a point, it sounds like the typical short sighted whining of someone who hates the UFC and everything they do.

More people should be complaining about Bellator pay. They pay less but are backed by more money. Bellator raising pay would force the UFC to raise pay to keep up. The UFC just raising it's pay actually hurts the lower tier organizations and makes the UFC more powerful. But stupid MMA hipsters want to focus on the UFC and pretend the lower tier promotions are all saints. It's bullshit. There's a market for fighters out there and anyone with money is welcome to pay whatever they think is a feasible amount without going broke.

People forget how podunk and small MMA was not so long ago. Instead of worrying about not getting paid or the sport dying, now we have people complaining that the money isn't going up fast enough. lol.
7/16/13 9:03 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - I pray every time that there is a 300 million dollar powerball that I am the sole winner. I would start my own promo and pay fighters what they deserve.

300 mil, I give you a year or two for you to go bankrupt.
7/16/13 9:03 PM
Thacommish

time traveling 12er - 
Thacommish - 
Beast of America - 

What point is he making? Saying they can afford it without knowing how much money they make and how much it costs to run the business? That doesn't sound like much of a point, it sounds like the typical short sighted whining of someone who hates the UFC and everything they do.

More people should be complaining about Bellator pay. They pay less but are backed by more money. Bellator raising pay would force the UFC to raise pay to keep up. The UFC just raising it's pay actually hurts the lower tier organizations and makes the UFC more powerful. But stupid MMA hipsters want to focus on the UFC and pretend the lower tier promotions are all saints. It's bullshit. There's a market for fighters out there and anyone with money is welcome to pay whatever they think is a feasible amount without going broke.

People forget how podunk and small MMA was not so long ago. Instead of worrying about not getting paid or the sport dying, now we have people complaining that the money isn't going up fast enough. lol.

You seem angry that i pointed out why his statement was idiotic and in some rage fueled post decided to lecture me on bellators situation and your childlike understanding of the company that backs them and how you think it means all that money should be dedicated to them. If you would like to engage in a reasonable debate you can find and present evidence relating to what bellator and ufc generate as far as revenue on their own, and the comparative pay scale to go with both seeing as how this would be a much more realistic way to go about venting your frustrations.
7/16/13 9:08 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

Brian J DSouza - 
Mertvaya Ruka - Pay has been increasing steadily, not fast by any means, but it is going up.

Nothing is going to change in time. As long as a company can string employees (or contractors) along for as long as possible, that's what they will do.

The pay hasn't gone up over the years?

If the always went up over time, what makes you think "nothing is going to change"?

MMA is a Market, sure the UFC is a Titan in this market, saying things won't change is pretty short sighted when things are so dynamic.

And historically things HAVE CHANGED, so I don't get your point.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.