UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Mayweather gets killed by average wrestler

7/18/13 11:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hikikomori
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If that's the case, imagine what a wrestler like Jordan Oliver would do.

"MMA for sure is more of a realistic contest, more of a realistic test as far as using the body in martial arts competition. Although not considered a martial art, boxing is really a martial art. It's a very limited martial art as long as you agree to just box. It's only hands. There are no kicks; there are no takedowns. It's effective in competition, but in an actual physical fight against someone who's just a wrestler, you're going to get killed. Floyd Mayweather would get killed by an average college wrestler. There would be no competition. If you took Floyd Mayweather today and made him fight against your average college wrestler, that college wrestler is going to shoot on him, pick him up, drop him on his head, and knock him out. There's nothing that Floyd can do about it. He's going to get knocked out by getting slammed on his head. A judo guy would do the same thing to him. A jujitsu guy would strangle him, no question about it."

Boxing vs. MMA? Pfffft. Boxing wouldn't even stand a chance against college wrestling. That's according to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) color commentator and longtime martial arts practitioner Joe Rogan, who deconstructs the art of fighting across multiple disciplines in the August issue of Inked (check it out here). The "Fear Factor" host will also "Question Everything" next Wednesday (July 24, 2013) beginning at 10 p.m. ET on SyFy (see why here), including Bigfoot, viruses and weaponized weather. Sounds like a blast -- and it sure beats listening to what he calls "Unfuckable white dudes." But is he on the "Money" when it comes to his Mayweather prediction?

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/18/4534658/ufc-joe-rogan-inked-floyd-mayweather-killed-average-college-wrestler-boxing-mma
7/18/13 11:30 AM
Hikikomori

7/18/13 11:35 AM
Fr35h Prync3

I agree 100% with Joe Phone Post 3.0
7/18/13 11:38 AM
ProteinBake
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Truth.  Not even controversial. 

7/18/13 11:38 AM
RCP_TT4LIFE
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try doing that to Mike Alvarado. Phone Post
7/18/13 11:39 AM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

He isn't wrong Phone Post 3.0
7/18/13 11:45 AM
Tilla

Truth, but it's not as if May's style translates well to MMA. It's great for Boxing, that's it.

How about David Haye or Pac? They'd probably have great success in their divisions.
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's nothing controversial. He isn't saying Mayweather couldn't learn how to defend against those things, just was giving an example that even the best boxer in the world isn't going to beat grapplers with just boxing Phone Post
KrzyBnzJnz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My brother was on the Toney train hard for his fight against Couture.  After it was over he was all kinds of mad saying the fight was BS and that we didn't learn anything, to which I replied "nothing that we didn't already learn from UFC 1". 

Boxing is a cool sport, but so many boxing fans don't see the truth.

7/18/13 11:47 AM
Chris27

ProteinBake - 

Truth.  Not even controversial. 

This

7/18/13 11:47 AM
triso
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's not wrong, but I always feel like Joe comes across dismissive of boxing, when in fact as a striking art it's extremely effective.

Yes you can't use range as well because of the lack of kicks, and no doubt to compete in MMA you need to add some kickboxing, but it's one of the best arts you can train in.

If we're talking street self defense it's great as well.

7/18/13 11:48 AM
spliff
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori - 

this video should have never happened. embarrassed for both sides
7/18/13 11:48 AM
Tilla

It's Apples & Oranges.

You need someone with a buzz-saw style to crossover to MMA.

Can you imagine Jake Shields in Pro Boxing? How about Hendo? GSP? Munoz? Fuck, DONAIRE throws a harder punch than Munoz!

It works both ways...
7/18/13 11:54 AM
PatK
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the best striker in MMA would get tooled by a mid-card level boxer in boxing.

Apples and Oranges
7/18/13 11:57 AM
Yun
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spliff -
Hikikomori - 

this video should have never happened. embarrassed for both sides
not really,

its easier to eat a punch and drive through your opponent for a takedown than trying defend the take down with perfectly timed punch.

true, no one will ever hang with donaire if they stood but donaire can't knock foos out with one punch. that shit don't happen unless you're lucky. Phone Post
7/18/13 12:00 PM
MTH
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe was perhaps a little more combative than he needed to be in the interview, but he is, obviously, correct. 

I mean let's be honest.  I'm a 180 lb blue belt.  I'm reasonably athletic and in good physical condition.  So long as Mayweather doesn't fire the first punch and assuming he has white belt level grappling, then I'd expect I'd more than likely beat him in a street fight.  Unless he could KO me on the way in, stop my takedowns, or hold me off once we're down, I wouldn't think he'd really have much of an offense to speak of honestly.

I would not say the same about some of even the amateur MMA fighters at my gym.  We've got a guy prepping for his debut at 155 lbs, and I have no reason to believe he wouldn't beat me to death in a real fight.  Mayweather wouldn't stand a chance.  And the UFC-level fighters?  Forget about it.  Straight mauling. 

7/18/13 12:03 PM
Tilla

MTH - 

Joe was perhaps a little more combative than he needed to be in the interview, but he is, obviously, correct. 

I mean let's be honest.  I'm a 180 lb blue belt.  I'm reasonably athletic and in good physical condition.  So long as Mayweather doesn't fire the first punch and assuming he has white belt level grappling, then I'd expect I'd more than likely beat him in a street fight.  Unless he could KO me on the way in, stop my takedowns, or hold me off once we're down, I wouldn't think he'd really have much of an offense to speak of honestly.

I would not say the same about some of even the amateur MMA fighters at my gym.  We've got a guy prepping for his debut at 155 lbs, and I have no reason to believe he wouldn't beat me to death in a real fight.  Mayweather wouldn't stand a chance.  And the UFC-level fighters?  Forget about it.  Straight mauling. 

All due respect, but Floyd is POSSIBLY the best Boxer ON EARTH.

He'd knock you silly. You'd be unhealthy once he's finished with you...

Your Blue Belt? Means nothing.

Makes me laugh how you can disrespect a Pro Boxer like that. You've NEVER encountered movement like that. Ever.

7/18/13 12:03 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously he's right. But what about Mayweather with 6 months of sprawl traneing?

7/18/13 12:07 PM
GROUNDnLB
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

triso - He's not wrong, but I always feel like Joe comes across dismissive of boxing, when in fact as a striking art it's extremely effective.

Yes you can't use range as well because of the lack of kicks, and no doubt to compete in MMA you need to add some kickboxing, but it's one of the best arts you can train in.

If we're talking street self defense it's great as well.

If you listen to his podcasts, he loves boxing and is a fan of the history and its great fights. He is just commenting on how pure boxers are very narrow with regards to overall abilities vs a rounded mma fighter. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/13 12:15 PM
eXtv
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori - 

That is just Joe shouting over Lou Bella whilst being completely wrong about there being no future stars in the world of boxing.

You want to know why Joe didn't bring up Mayweather or Pac as 'stars' in that video? Because Mayweather and Pac weren't stars yet. Thus proving him incorrect of the crux of his argument about boxing being 'swallowed' by MMA.
7/18/13 12:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - It's Apples & Oranges.

You need someone with a buzz-saw style to crossover to MMA.

Can you imagine Jake Shields in Pro Boxing? How about Hendo? GSP? Munoz? Fuck, DONAIRE throws a harder punch than Munoz!

It works both ways...
The difference is MMA isn't limiting what a boxer can do though. Or a kickboxer , or a grappler, or a wrestler. They can do whatever. In boxing you're making what they do to win fights illegal. We saw what happened when they matched up single styles against each other in the first few UFC's.

Personally I love boxing and watching boxing, and I think it is entertaining to watch high level guys compete in one aspect of fighting. But MMA will always be the pinnacle of combat sports because it doesn't limit the style of what any fighter chooses to fight. You really are seeing who's the best at all of it. Phone Post
7/18/13 12:23 PM
MTH
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - 
MTH - 

Makes me laugh how you can disrespect a Pro Boxer like that. You've NEVER encountered movement like that. Ever.

M'eh.  I'm not convinced. 

He'd have a shot, no doubt, and I didn't suggest my "victory" would be guaranteed.  Like I said, if he KO'd me on the way in, stopped my takedowns, or held me off once we were down (and got back to his feet), then I'd obviously have big problems. 

And clearly, if he had some solid wrestling and grappling training, the tables would tip almost insurmountably in his favor. 

But he''s not magic.  And he's a good bit smaller than I am.  So I say that unless he's got some wrestling/grappling under his belt, then it's pretty much over if I get him down.  That shouldn't be a surprising claim.  And I don't see it as inconceivable that I could takedown a boxer who has no wrestling/grappling experience.  

And please understand, I'm not speaking of my abilities as being somehow special.  I used myself as an example, but I think most legit, aggressive blue betls with a weight advantage would win over a boxer who has zero grappling training.  Because again, so long as the fight gets to the ground, the boxer is really out of his element.  He's got to get the KO early, stop the takedown, or be able to get back to his feet or he's going to lose.  It doesn't really matter how good he is as a boxer. 

But I agree with others that a few months of sprawl-and-brawl training would make legit boxers into killers of recreational BJJ practitioners--myself included.  Boxing is very effective in street fights . . . provided the other guy isn't a grappler and/or provided the boxer can at least stop takedowns. 

7/18/13 12:24 PM
MattyJ
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla -
MTH - 

He did say provided Floyd doesn't get the first punch in/stop the takedown etc which is entirely right, obviously if Floyd started throwing he's going to light your average guy up before he even knows he's been hit but if a blue belt got a hold of him then he's going to strangle him/break something . Phone Post 3.0
7/18/13 12:27 PM
supremexb

I'm pretty sure kllitscko can figure out a way to beat Dodson. Phone Post 3.0
7/18/13 12:27 PM
RCP_TT4LIFE
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SquishyCheeks - Obvious, and you don't need to use little Floyd as an example. Any HW boxing contender, would lose to any UFC contender (of any division).

Don't care if it's Dodson against a Klitschko brother. He would dive on a leg and the fight is over.
Now that's just being arrogant. No way a 125 pound man can manhandle a 230 pound athlete who is more than a foot taller than him. Wladimir isn't Choi Man. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.