UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan: Mayweather gets killed by average wrestler

7/21/13 8:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gomrad
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You hear people say things like "when so and so grabs you then your getting slammed on your head", in his prime AK would snatch Floyd up, eat a combo with that fire hydrant head / neck on the way in and then he could literally kill him with his bare hands. His strength / power was as close to super human as you could imagine. If AK wanted to kill any 150lb man by power bombing him there would be no stopping him. Phone Post 3.0
7/21/13 10:59 PM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BriggsSeekins - I don't think it's anywhere near as clear-cut between Mayweather and an average college wrestler as Rogan thinks it is. Mayweather would have an excellent chance of timing a punch on a wrestler shooting straight in, and that punch is going to be far harder than any blow that average college wrestler is likely to ever have taken to the face. Some guys might still finish that shot. But anybody who has seen college wrestlers sparring for their first time ever knows that no matter how tough they are, getting drilled in the face takes some getting used to. And we're talking getting popped by Mayweather. Mayweather isn't a monster puncher by elite boxing standards, but he's got knockout power. But against an average college wrestler, I would give the edge to the wrestler in an MMA fight.

As for hobbyist blue belts in BJJ thinking they would beat Mayweather in a fight, that is more comical. I am a blue belt, and probably a little beyond that in No Gi, and was a pretty decent HS wrestler over 20 years ago. I also earn part of my income writing about boxing and have covered a good number of high level fights ringside. I think some people don't really realize the degree to which boxers do have practical, standup grappling experience, to a degree. There is a ton of clinching, shrugging and jostling for space to punch in close.

A boxer with no grappling training would be prefectly vulnerable to all kinds of quick, crippling joint locks or chokes on the ground, but getting an elite boxer to the ground without getting drilled is much harder than a lot of people seem to think. You're talking about world class professional athletes with years of training to torque their shoulders and torsos violently one way, out of trouble, before exploding back into range. If you have a good, very quick double leg, that's one thing. But most blue belt level, three-five night a week blue belts don't have a double leg anything like a college wrestlers. They're not tossing a guy, based on just a little bit of momentum, the way a trained judoka or greco-roman guy can.

I saw somebody write on here that they think the average construction worker would beat the typical hypster blue belt in a street fight. That's a fucking joke. I've been on construction crews and seen plenty of above average construction worker type of guys trying to learn to fight. They aren't beating an average blue belt, just based on being so much more manly or something. I don't care if the blue belt is a college professor or hair dresser or some other such unmanly profession.

But I also think a lot of average blue belts seriously over-estimate how effective their grappling would be against a world class professional athlete who has been trained for years to control distance and deliver a lot of punches, from a lot of angles, in less time than a normal person's brain can easily process.
Ah a voice of reason at last Phone Post
7/21/13 11:05 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SKARHEAD - 
HexRei - 
thegoldenboy - 
Piyo - As a person with about a dozen MMA fights and lots of sparring experience in boxing gyms...Rogan is correct. Any D1 wrestler beats Floyd nine times out of ten in the street or cage.

Nothing against boxing...I think boxers are crazy tough athletes and very impressive. It's just that, when comparing their pure forms, wrestling is simply superior for fighting. That's it.

Your wrong about the street. Plain and simple.

No he's not. Unless you're taking into account angry homies coming up and stomping you in the back of the head while you're busy wrestlefucking the boxer, or the boxer getting lucky terrain-wise and getting in extra shots while he's bracing against the wall or a counter and you can't complete the TD before you are rocked or something.

But there's no reason, standing the middle of a street, that a D1 wrestler shouldn't be able to put a high level boxer on their back before they get KO'ed 9/10 times. In fact I'd say the wrestler has an advantage in the street vs a ring/cage, getting smashed onto pavement's going to be a lot more dangerous than getting smashed onto a cage or ring canvas.

The wrestling shot is not faster than Floy'd fist....not in ANY universe.

Because Floyd is a KO artist or something? Most of his fights go to decision. It's not a question of whether Floyd could hit him during the takedown, it's a question of whether he could finish him before the takedown is completed.
7/21/13 11:12 PM
HexRei

thegoldenboy - 
HexRei -
thegoldenboy - 
Piyo - As a person with about a dozen MMA fights and lots of sparring experience in boxing gyms...Rogan is correct. Any D1 wrestler beats Floyd nine times out of ten in the street or cage.

Nothing against boxing...I think boxers are crazy tough athletes and very impressive. It's just that, when comparing their pure forms, wrestling is simply superior for fighting. That's it.

No he's not. Unless you're taking into account angry homies coming up and stomping you in the back of the head while you're busy wrestlefucking the boxer, or the boxer getting lucky terrain-wise and getting in extra shots while he's bracing against the wall or a counter and you can't complete the TD before you are rocked or something.

But there's no reason, standing the middle of a street, that a D1 wrestler shouldn't be able to put a high level boxer on their back before they get KO'ed 9/10 times. In fact I'd say the wrestler has an advantage in the street vs a ring/cage, getting smashed onto pavement's going to be a lot more dangerous than getting smashed onto a cage or ring canvas.
The wrestler would get knocked out before they shot. I've already explained a dozen fucking times why that would happen. Before the fight even starts the wrestler would get hit hard with some seriously powerful and accurate shots straight to the chin.

The boxers punches are simply much faster than the wrestlers takedowns. A realistic and likely scenario would be that two guys who don't know each other are in a pub. One is a professional boxer and the other is an elite wrestler, the wrestler starts talking shit to the boxer and they both square up shoving each other. In a split second the boxer unleashes a combination from hell straight to the chin RIGHT before the wrestler shoots (unlikely anyway as he knows he's in a crowded area and wouldn't even know the other guys a boxer and subsequently expect he'd be able to knock him out with his power). My point is that people tend to throw punches in the street before anything else, not fucking double legs where someones friends can easily stomp the shit out of you. And who can throw punches better than a boxer Your wrong. Simple as that. Phone Post 3.0

I guess I assumed this was a fair encounter where we were assuming they both attacked at the same time. If we're assuming the boxer attacks first and the wrestler responds, sure it's going to help them, but still, he's going to need to clean KO said wrestler with that first flurry, because any D1 wrestler is going to have drilled that takedown thousands of times and won't have a problem carrying it out while dazes (believe it or not, people get concussions wrestling too).

If we're going to talk about likelihoods given the angry homies stomping you in the head aspect, that changes everything, but I also thought we were at least trying to keep this relevant to Rogan's comments, rather than assuming the boxer had a gang of friends with him.
7/21/13 11:59 PM
armbarseverywhere
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestlers don't need to shoot within your hand's distance. Why would a wrestler need to shoot so close? Brock Lesnar can begin a shot from at least 10 feet away. And let's not forget how FAST a college level wrestler is.
7/22/13 12:01 AM
armbarseverywhere
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A clearer example of what I'm trying to say would be Randy Couture's low outside single on James Toney. Randy didn't need to be within striking distance to begin his shot. He totally negated Toney's punching range.
7/22/13 12:06 AM
tenchu
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The wrestler would get knocked out before they shot. I've already explained a dozen fucking times why that would happen. Before the fight even starts the wrestler would get hit hard with some seriously powerful and accurate shots straight to the chin. "

People made this assumption before the UFC and got a rude awakening.

Easier said than done.
7/22/13 2:42 AM
thegoldenboy

armbarseverywhere - Wrestlers don't need to shoot within your hand's distance. Why would a wrestler need to shoot so close? Brock Lesnar can begin a shot from at least 10 feet away. And let's not forget how FAST a college level wrestler is.
Because most fights start in punching range. The boxer has a massive advantage in that he can end the fight with one right hand. Regardless of whether he's facing an MMA fighter or wrestler. Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 2:43 AM
thegoldenboy

tenchu - "The wrestler would get knocked out before they shot. I've already explained a dozen fucking times why that would happen. Before the fight even starts the wrestler would get hit hard with some seriously powerful and accurate shots straight to the chin. "

Easier said than done.
You talk of the cage not the street. I've mentioned that many times. You are PREPARED in the cage to do what you have to do to win. The street is a different animal. Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 2:49 AM
thegoldenboy

HexRei -
SKARHEAD - 
HexRei - 
thegoldenboy - 

Because Floyd is a KO artist or something? Most of his fights go to decision. It's not a question of whether Floyd could hit him during the takedown, it's a question of whether he could finish him before the takedown is completed.
Shut up. Look at how he KO'd another elite professional boxer that is Victor Ortiz with one to two punches with fucking gloves on. Now imagine bare knuckles. That is EXACTLY what would happen on the street 9/10 to anyone including MMA fighters and wrestlers. He'd simply throw a combination like that whilst the other guy is vulnerable and unable to respond with other SLOWER moves. Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 2:51 AM
thegoldenboy

HexRei -
thegoldenboy - 
HexRei -
thegoldenboy - 

The wrestler would get knocked out before they shot. I've already explained a dozen fucking times why that would happen. Before the fight even starts the wrestler would get hit hard with some seriously powerful and accurate shots straight to the chin.

The boxers punches are simply much faster than the wrestlers takedowns. A realistic and likely scenario would be that two guys who don't know each other are in a pub. One is a professional boxer and the other is an elite wrestler, the wrestler starts talking shit to the boxer and they both square up shoving each other. In a split second the boxer unleashes a combination from hell straight to the chin RIGHT before the wrestler shoots (unlikely anyway as he knows he's in a crowded area and wouldn't even know the other guys a boxer and subsequently expect he'd be able to knock him out with his power). My point is that people tend to throw punches in the street before anything else, not fucking double legs where someones friends can easily stomp the shit out of you. And who can throw punches better than a boxer Your wrong. Simple as that. Phone Post 3.0

I guess I assumed this was a fair encounter where we were assuming they both attacked at the same time. If we're assuming the boxer attacks first and the wrestler responds, sure it's going to help them, but still, he's going to need to clean KO said wrestler with that first flurry, because any D1 wrestler is going to have drilled that takedown thousands of times and won't have a problem carrying it out while dazes (believe it or not, people get concussions wrestling too).

If we're going to talk about likelihoods given the angry homies stomping you in the head aspect, that changes everything, but I also thought we were at least trying to keep this relevant to Rogan's comments, rather than assuming the boxer had a gang of friends with him.
A fair encounter? This isn't the cage my friend or an MMA fight on the pavement. I'm simply talking about the most common street fight scenarios. Scenarios where boxing is king over MMA and the like. Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 4:23 AM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SKARHEAD - 
GSPsShadyHandWraps - "I know him, the guys a freak athlete no doubt about it. But he's still a fucking wrestler, how do we know he can take successive hard shots to the chin."

He has boxing experience. His dad was an amature boxer

His dad was an ammy boxer...his dad has boxing experience.

What boxing experience does Karelin have ? Hitting the mits that his dad was holding ?

What good or even decent HW pro or even ammy boxers did Karelin spar with and look even OK against ?

How is Karelin's striking defense ? How does he react when someone with TRUE KO power is throwing bombs at his head and body ?

So now Karelin needs to be sparring against the Klitschkos to be able to take 5,8 150 pound soaking wet Floyds "true KO" power?

Or was that a weak ass strawman argument from your buttscooting ass? Shut your mouth and go bring me a frappacino

7/22/13 4:32 AM
thegoldenboy

GSPsShadyHandWraps - 
SKARHEAD - 
GSPsShadyHandWraps - "I know him, the guys a freak athlete no doubt about it. But he's still a fucking wrestler, how do we know he can take successive hard shots to the chin."

What boxing experience does Karelin have ? Hitting the mits that his dad was holding ?

What good or even decent HW pro or even ammy boxers did Karelin spar with and look even OK against ?

How is Karelin's striking defense ? How does he react when someone with TRUE KO power is throwing bombs at his head and body ?

So now Karelin needs to be sparring against the Klitschkos to be able to take 5,8 150 pound soaking wet Floyds "true KO" power?

Or was that a weak ass strawman argument from your buttscooting ass? Shut your mouth and go bring me a frappacino

Wrestlers aren't trained to be able to take punches, let alone a fast, hard, accurate combination to the chin by the P4P best boxer on the planet. Shut your mouth and makes me some sandwiches bitch.
7/22/13 4:47 AM
armbarseverywhere

thegoldenboy - 
tenchu - "The wrestler would get knocked out before they shot. I've already explained a dozen fucking times why that would happen. Before the fight even starts the wrestler would get hit hard with some seriously powerful and accurate shots straight to the chin. "

Easier said than done.
You talk of the cage not the street. I've mentioned that many times. You are PREPARED in the cage to do what you have to do to win. The street is a different animal. Phone Post 3.0

How is someone who trains MMA any less "prepared" for a fight than someone who trains straight boxing? GSP puts in plenty of time in boxing gyms. You claim it takes "one punch" to end a fight. What if it's Johnny Hendricks throwing the first punch?

Why aren't people in the military trained to do straight boxing compared to what they're actually being taught. You claim street effective fighting, how much more street can you get than war? These guys are taught - kicks, punches, throws, chokes, weapons, clinching, grappling.. Sounds a lot like MMA to me.
7/22/13 5:01 AM
thegoldenboy

armbarseverywhere - 
thegoldenboy - 

Easier said than done.

How is someone who trains MMA any less "prepared" for a fight than someone who trains straight boxing? GSP puts in plenty of time in boxing gyms. You claim it takes "one punch" to end a fight. What if it's Johnny Hendricks throwing the first punch?

Why aren't people in the military trained to do straight boxing compared to what they're actually being taught. You claim street effective fighting, how much more street can you get than war? These guys are taught - kicks, punches, throws, chokes, weapons, clinching, grappling.. Sounds a lot like MMA to me.

Thats not what I was saying. My point was that in the cage an MMA fighter whom knows he's fighting a boxer would be mentally prepared in that he KNOWS what he has to do win the fight i.e take him down. In the street this would almost always not be the case. The MMA fighter would very likely try and box the boxer as its the easiest and most efficient way to end a fight in the street and he has no reason to believe he would need to rely on his other skills. This would 9/10 get the MMA fighter knocked out.

Also what the fuck does the military training system have to do with the street. Your talking about war buddy, which is also a completely different animal. Believe it or not but most guys in the military can't fight unarmed for shit, they simply don't need it 99% of the time. Why do they train MMA? I guess because it covers all aspects of fighting, not because its more useful in the street...
7/22/13 5:05 AM
thegoldenboy

Edited: 07/22/13 5:06 AM
7/22/13 5:08 AM
thegoldenboy

armbarseverywhere - 
thegoldenboy - 

Easier said than done.

By the way you said, "What if it's Johnny Hendricks throwing the first punch?". This shows what a complete moron you are. Johnny Hendricks can't punch to save his fucking life if you compare him to professional boxers. The only reason he's knocked out various high level MMA fighters is because they, like him have D level defensive boxing skills. Put him in the boxing ring and see him looks like a fool.

In the street he would likely throw a massive looping overhand right, where the boxer would slip it and counter with a sweet combination straight to the chin.
7/22/13 5:17 AM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thegoldenboy - 
GSPsShadyHandWraps - 
SKARHEAD - 

Wrestlers aren't trained to be able to take punches, let alone a fast, hard, accurate combination to the chin by the P4P best boxer on the planet. Shut your mouth and makes me some sandwiches bitch.

Could Lil Floyd even reach Karelins chin? The muthafucka would have to do a street fighter style Dragon Punch

I was with you when it was about the same size. But Floyd is on lidocain all the time for his hand problems, he aint KOing a 300 pounder with a neck the size of a fire hydrant

7/22/13 5:35 AM
MysteriousNinjaFromMars
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gomrad - You hear people say things like "when so and so grabs you then your getting slammed on your head", in his prime AK would snatch Floyd up, eat a combo with that fire hydrant head / neck on the way in and then he could literally kill him with his bare hands. His strength / power was as close to super human as you could imagine. If AK wanted to kill any 150lb man by power bombing him there would be no stopping him. Phone Post 3.0

100% correct ,if there is one man on this planet you dont want to get a hold of you in a street fight its that fucking gorilla.

He could literally smash you against the ground until you were just wet chunks of meat.
7/22/13 6:03 AM
armbarseverywhere

thegoldenboy - 
armbarseverywhere - 
thegoldenboy - 

Easier said than done.

Thats not what I was saying. My point was that in the cage an MMA fighter whom knows he's fighting a boxer would be mentally prepared in that he KNOWS what he has to do win the fight i.e take him down. In the street this would almost always not be the case. The MMA fighter would very likely try and box the boxer as its the easiest and most efficient way to end a fight in the street and he has no reason to believe he would need to rely on his other skills. This would 9/10 get the MMA fighter knocked out.

Also what the fuck does the military training system have to do with the street. Your talking about war buddy, which is also a completely different animal. Believe it or not but most guys in the military can't fight unarmed for shit, they simply don't need it 99% of the time. Why do they train MMA? I guess because it covers all aspects of fighting, not because its more useful in the street...

You're drunk, trolling, or limited mentally somehow. You can't even stick to your own argument. The street does = war being that both situations are uncontrolled environments. I've never seen a group of Marines lose a street fight, bar fight, whatever.. I have a hard time believing they "can't fight unarmed for shit." Why do they train MMA? Because it's more useful for the street/war than strictly BOXING ALONE.

So, what now there's multiple levels of combat you want to differentiate? Cage vs street vs war?

7/22/13 8:15 AM
Animal Mother
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thegoldenboy -
HexRei -
SKARHEAD - 
HexRei - 
thegoldenboy - 

Shut up. Look at how he KO'd another elite professional boxer that is Victor Ortiz with one to two punches with fucking gloves on. Now imagine bare knuckles. That is EXACTLY what would happen on the street 9/10 to anyone including MMA fighters and wrestlers. He'd simply throw a combination like that whilst the other guy is vulnerable and unable to respond with other SLOWER moves. Phone Post 3.0
This is some presumptuous bullshit right here. What a stupid thing to base on argument on.

"Oh yeah, well the boxer would definitely punch first"

Retarded Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 8:27 AM
thegoldenboy

Edited: 07/22/13 8:43 AM
7/22/13 9:26 AM
thegoldenboy

Animal Mother -
thegoldenboy -
HexRei -
SKARHEAD - 
HexRei - 
thegoldenboy - 

This is some presumptuous bullshit right here. What a stupid thing to base on argument on.

Retarded Phone Post 3.0
How the hell is that retarded. Who can punch and evade punches faster? A boxer or a MMA fighter/wrestler? Street fights always start standing and very often in punching range. AT LEAST 7/10 the MMA fighter gets knocked out before he can respond with other moves such as a double leg. Don't talk shit. Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 10:18 AM
Animal Mother
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thegoldenboy -
Animal Mother -
thegoldenboy -
HexRei -
SKARHEAD - 
HexRei - 
thegoldenboy - 

Retarded Phone Post 3.0
How the hell is that retarded. Who can punch and evade punches faster? A boxer or a MMA fighter/wrestler? Street fights always start standing and very often in punching range. AT LEAST 7/10 the MMA fighter gets knocked out before he can respond with other moves such as a double leg. Don't talk shit. Phone Post 3.0
You are making a completely ridiculous argument. You are essentially saying a boxer would win because he would definitely sucker punch a wrestler. How can you not see how stupid that is? Phone Post 3.0
7/22/13 10:20 AM
Animal Mother

Now that I'm thinking about it, you're clearly trolling. No one is that stupid. Well done, you got me. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.