UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Have you ever asked your friends..

7/21/13 10:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Squirrel Guard
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a good friend who "would rather get in a fight, than watch them." Refused to trane bjj (i thought it might help to humble him) with me because , "there is no way ANYONE could take me down in a street fight."

He is 145lbs and I cannot convince him that if a big dude gets ahold of him, he's going to put you where he wants you.

Another friend came to bjj class for a week and I kind of just rolled lightly against him, cause I wanted him to enjoy it, and keep traning.

He quit coming and I've heared him tell people that I couldn't tap him and he wont come back.

I don't try and convince anyone anymore. I just enjoy doing my own thing. (Wrastlin sweaty dudes) Phone Post
7/21/13 10:35 AM
Matt Perry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

QuadAces - I was at a college party a few years ago (OK, a few decades), and was talking martial arts with someone I'd just met. One of his friends came over and laughed at us.

"You guys are aware that it's 1993, right? We've had guns for, like, over a hundred years. All that chop socky bullshit is obsolete."

Really?

"Fuck yeah. Why go through all the effort to learn that chop socky bullshit when you can just blast a fool?"

So what kind of gun do you have?

"I have lots. A 1911, a 9mm Beretta, a Smith and..."

No. Right here and now. What are you carrying?

"Well, right now I don't have any..."

So if some shit starts here tonight, you're helpless, but I have my chop socky bullshit. I always have it. You can't take a gun or even a knife on a plane, but I can take my chop socky bullshit. If we get arrested, they'll take our belts and shoelaces. But you know what they can't take? My chop socky bullshit.

"Yeah, well, uh, I'm getting a beer."

*First guy high fives me* Phone Post 3.0
Well done Phone Post
7/21/13 10:36 AM
Kostakio
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheOne -

No, I have friends with all different tastes, Rugby players, Football players, Computer Science guys and they don't pressure me to try their sports/hobbies so I don't pressure them.

I've asked one or two who I thought would excel and it was just not their bag.

This. Phone Post 3.0
7/21/13 1:40 PM
The Sauce
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. All I get is 5,000 bull shit excuses as to why they can't/shouldn't:

Work too late, bad back, bad knee, doc says I can't get hit in the head or I'll die, I want to get in shape first, too busy, going to play rec league soccer instead, I'll get mad and year the place down, I was looking for a Kung fu school instead, I already can fight, my GF/Wife has plans those nights, can't come to work limping, can't come to work with black eye, I have a heart murmur, too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter.....

But I never hear "I'm not willing to challenge my self as an adult with discipline and goal setting. So I'll just go to work and come home, it's easier" - still waiting to hear this which is the only reason...

Too bad, you couldn't pay me 5 million to take away all my training, friendships, memories, competitions and experiences of being involved in martial arts!

$10,000,000?........ Yeah probably! Lol Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.