UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Please help Rachel get to Disney World

8/9/13 12:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FeardBucker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LiveToFightInc -
kying418 - 
Knockdown1967 - 

For a number of years Susanne Flanagan worked as my assistant when I was fighting professionally.  Her daughter Rachel has severe special needs and is a sweetheart, she's become like a daughter to me.  Her mom is trying to bring her to Disney World and if you can do anything to help I know she'd be grateful.  Thank you!

http://www.gofundme.com/3kdpww

I'm sure she probably already knows, but Susanne should also look into the Make A Wish Foundation.

http://wish.org/refer-a-child

My son has a genetic disorder and they have been working with him (and my ex wife- who submitted the applications, etc), and are in the process of planning something really cool for him.

Make A Wish is an awesome organization. Good luck with that and I wish you the best with your son. I'll be saying prayers. 

My org is called Live To Fight.  We will be raising money for people in the MMA community who are suffering from life threatening illnesses. So that includes children and siblings. We will also have a MMA Make a Wish aspect. If any of our beneficiaries want to meet a fighter or go to a fight we are going to try and make that happen. 

Would be great if you guys could help spread the word and if you know of anyone you think would we could help send them our way! Or anyone you think may want to help us. 

It's www.livetofight.org and My email is Kristen@livetofight.org 

Thanks guys!! 

Kristen Brown :) 

Absolutely amazing! Where are you guys based out of? Phone Post
8/9/13 12:35 AM
bluecloud
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LiveToFightInc - 
Knockdown1967 - 

For a number of years Susanne Flanagan worked as my assistant when I was fighting professionally.  Her daughter Rachel has severe special needs and is a sweetheart, she's become like a daughter to me.  Her mom is trying to bring her to Disney World and if you can do anything to help I know she'd be grateful.  Thank you!

I just started a non profit organization and we are just getting off the ground. I can not promise anything right now because I have to go through my Board of Directors but do me a favor and go to www.livetofight.org And fill out the form to tell your story and ask for help. Our first event isn't until September. I'm pretty sure in the future we can help you guys with something. Thanks. And good luck :) 

Kristen :) 

Kristen, I sent all our info to you from the Live to Fight website. Let me know if you got it, you can pm me
8/9/13 12:45 AM
bluecloud
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Rachel

I've had a few people who don't know Rach or haven't seen her in a long time ask about Rachel. Rachel's diagnosis is Subcortical Band Heterotopia (SBH) which is a cell migrational disorder. Don't know why it happened but for some reason the cells in her brain didn't migrate to where they should have. Normally cells migrate from the center of the brain to the outer part but Rachel's did not so she has thick areas in the middle of her brain that shouldn't be there and then on the outer part, if you see a photo of a brain it's got lots of ridges and grooves, Rachel's doesn't have that, it's smooth and that's where the cells were supposed to travel to. Her whole brain is affected by this structural disorder. Because of it she has severe delays and she is a severe case of SBH. She also has a Cortical Visual Impairment which basically means that we don't know how her brain processes what she sees so she is registered with the Commission for the Blind. She definitely does see though.

Rachel is 16 but skill-wise somewhere between an infant and toddler level. She's non-verbal and 100% care. She has no daily living skills of her own and battles constantly with seizures to which have not responded to medications. It's a lot of work. Feeding her, changing her, walking with her, making sure she's safe during seizures. It's not easy doing it as a single parent, but God knew that and has placed good people in our lives to help. I do have nurses that come to the house 6 days a week to help - Thank God for them. Right now Rachel is not in school due to her seizures and the difficulty of getting in and out of our apartment on a second floor with many stairs but we are on waiting lists for better housing. Working hard with a parent advocate to get all of Rachel's educational needs set up at home until our situation is better when she can go back to school.

Rachel also has the additional diagnosis of Lennox Gestaut Syndrome with Intractable Epilepsy, which basically is the worst it can get when it comes to seizures and one of the most unresponsive to treatments. Seizures are horrible and Rachel has a few types. They get in the way of her going to school, having fun, learning, eating, etc. If there were anything I could change for Rachel, I would take away her seizures. Everything else is gravy. Seizure medications are sedating, many side effects and still seizures on the medications. The seizures break my heart every time Rachel has to go through one and she goes through many that have been increasing more as she gets older and have been causing deterioration of her skills. Rachel recently (April 2013) got the VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulator) an implant placed right under the skin in her chest with a wire wrapping around her Vagus Nerve going into the brain that will give off electrical impulses that hopefully will stop some of her seizures. As of July 2013 I'm only seeing a very slight improvement I think, it's still way too soon to tell. Rachel was on the Ketogenic Diet recently for seizure control for the second time but unfortunately it had no effect for her this time (the first time was in 2001 and she was seizure free and off ALL medications for 2 years!) Rachel also is going through Botox treatments and a serial casting program on both of her legs right now to hopefully walk flat-footed instead of on her toes. She will be in casts for 6 weeks through the summer that will hopefully bring good results.

With all of this, I have to say there are MANY positives to my life with Rachel. She's sweet as can be, innocent, she gets to live in this bubble world of complete love and being taken care of. She has no other health issues (feeding tube, trach, etc.) and has an easy going, sweet personality. Never ever one complaint. She hasn't cried in years and truly is always a delight to be around. She smiles and laughs and I swear she sees angels. She loves Disney and Mickey Mouse. She enjoys lights and fireworks, wild rides and the wind in her face. Rach comes alive when the sun goes down and it cools off and the breeze kicks up. Rachel likes the water and you can't be in a pool with her and think you won't get your hair wet. She drools and slobbers on you, gives too many open mouth kisses and steals your heart. Can I have gotten any better? I can say with all sincerity that the Lord certainly picked the best of the bunch for me. One day, I know in heaven we will be complete, there she will say Mommy and I'll watch her run and jump. It will be a celebration. Now we live with struggles but she gives much happiness. I love my Rachel girl.

I would love to bring Rachel to Disney World, for there she is really a different child. I will be honest and say we have been before but it's been years and she gets such joy from it. The magic of Disney seems to have a great effect on her - alert, vocal, no seizures - really amazing.

And we REALLY could use a vacation :) As Rachel's mom, it's been a tough year worrying about her and back and forth to doctors, hospitals and therapies. In the midst of all of this I took care of my dad with cancer and my mom with Alzheimers who both passed away. My dad 4/25/13 and my mom 5/31/13. I miss them immensely.

ANYTHING RAISED OVER OUR GOAL AMOUNT WILL GO TO A WHEELCHAIR VAN WHICH WE WILL DEFINITELY NEED AS RACHEL CONTINUES TO GROW AND SO DOES HER WHEELCHAIR.

Thank you & God Bless, SUSANNE AND RACHEL xox
8/9/13 3:43 PM
Knockdown1967
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

8/10/13 3:50 PM
bluecloud

ttt
8/10/13 4:09 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2569 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 4:25 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FeardBucker -
LiveToFightInc -
kying418 - 
Knockdown1967 - 

I'm sure she probably already knows, but Susanne should also look into the Make A Wish Foundation.

http://wish.org/refer-a-child

My son has a genetic disorder and they have been working with him (and my ex wife- who submitted the applications, etc), and are in the process of planning something really cool for him.

Make A Wish is an awesome organization. Good luck with that and I wish you the best with your son. I'll be saying prayers. 

My org is called Live To Fight.  We will be raising money for people in the MMA community who are suffering from life threatening illnesses. So that includes children and siblings. We will also have a MMA Make a Wish aspect. If any of our beneficiaries want to meet a fighter or go to a fight we are going to try and make that happen. 

Would be great if you guys could help spread the word and if you know of anyone you think would we could help send them our way! Or anyone you think may want to help us. 

It's www.livetofight.org and My email is Kristen@livetofight.org 

Thanks guys!! 

Kristen Brown :) 

Absolutely amazing! Where are you guys based out of? Phone Post
We are based out of NY.
Check out www.livetofight.org

If anyone wants info or to buy tee shirts or donate. Thanks!
Kristen :) Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 4:26 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bluecloud -
LiveToFightInc - 
Knockdown1967 - 

I just started a non profit organization and we are just getting off the ground. I can not promise anything right now because I have to go through my Board of Directors but do me a favor and go to www.livetofight.org And fill out the form to tell your story and ask for help. Our first event isn't until September. I'm pretty sure in the future we can help you guys with something. Thanks. And good luck :) 

Kristen :) 

Kristen, I sent all our info to you from the Live to Fight website. Let me know if you got it, you can pm me
I got it and wrote you back. Your story is amazing and I really hope we can help you and Rachel in the upcoming months. :)

Kristen Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 4:47 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shared Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 5:11 PM
Tat2tillidie
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Racheal Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 2:27 AM
bluecloud

We are a little bit over half way, if anyone can help. Even the smallest donation is a step closer and I can't tell you how much we'd appreciate it. If you're willing to share, that would also be great. Thanks!

8/11/13 2:49 AM
Weidman_wild_each_it
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does Disney have any sort of program for all expense trips for this sort of thing. Just wondering.
8/11/13 4:31 AM
bluecloud

Weidman_wild_each_it - Does Disney have any sort of program for all expense trips for this sort of thing. Just wondering.

No, I checked with them and they don't. They don't even offer a discount for disabilities.
8/11/13 3:14 PM
Knockdown1967
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GO RACHEL!

TTT

8/12/13 5:09 AM
bluecloud

TTT
8/12/13 8:37 AM
MexiCain AmeriCain
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 6:01 PM
bluecloud

melendez - 

I'd be wiling to auction some autographed gear to a UG'er and donate the money.

Let me know.

We are interested :) and thankful
8/13/13 1:46 AM
Knockdown1967

TTT

8/13/13 4:11 AM
bknumber1
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 10:33 AM
UGCTT_sakurabas ear
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
8/16/13 2:37 AM
bluecloud

We still have half way to go. Please help if you can. Thank you Joe Silva for being on board.
8/16/13 2:01 PM
bluecloud

bluecloud - 
melendez - 

Let me know.

Hi, Does this offer still stand? We'd like to take you up on it :) Thanks

TTT
8/17/13 12:02 AM
bknumber1
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bluecloud -
bluecloud - 
melendez - 

Let me know.

Hi, Does this offer still stand? We'd like to take you up on it :) Thanks

TTT
TTT Phone Post 3.0
8/17/13 2:52 AM
Knockdown1967

TTT for Rachel

8/18/13 12:02 AM
bluecloud

TTT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.