UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Please help Rachel get to Disney World

9/15/13 10:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how close are you? and happy birthday! Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 10:51 AM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happy Belated Bday !! Phone Post 3.0
9/15/13 11:23 PM
bluecloud
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tommy Gunnz - how close are you? and happy birthday! Phone Post 3.0

We are within $1000 of our goal now - so thankful!!! And thank you for the birthday wishes
9/15/13 11:23 PM
bluecloud
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_El Pescadero - Happy Belated Bday !! Phone Post 3.0

Thank you!! :)
9/16/13 4:06 AM
BJ Penn is Irish
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
9/16/13 11:21 PM
Krs10KO.com
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was a good one!! 

9/16/13 11:55 PM
MrAntichrist
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For all the ridiculous things the UG says in other threads, you really see the character of our UG residents in moments like these. We might vehemently disagree with each other when it comes to MMA, but I think we can all agree that sending this girl to Disney World is a very good deed.

I'm about a week out from my next pay check, but I would be glad to contribute then.

TTT for now Phone Post 3.0
9/17/13 12:50 AM
bluecloud

Edited: 09/17/13 12:56 AM
You really see the character of our UG residents in moments like these!! SO TRUE!! And I've seen great heart and generosity and kindness. Our lives are not easy and honestly Rachel is a fighter in a very different kind of way but she is a fighter - the kind who will try to sit up after a seizure and tries to shake it off and go on, sort of like when you get slammed with a hard hit and you shake it off and keep on going in the fight. Going to Disney is you rewarding her with a belt. Thank you for cheering her on and letting her know she's a winner! The MMA community is awesome!
9/17/13 12:52 AM
bluecloud

Krs10KO.com - 

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope it was a good one!! 

Thank you, it actually wasn't one of her best days (she sort slept through most of it) but we'll make up for it in Disney :)
9/17/13 1:00 AM
bluecloud

Thank you every day Joey "Knockdown" Brown for being like a dad to Rachel where her own father would not.

9/18/13 8:14 PM
bluecloud

TTT
9/18/13 11:20 PM
UGCTT_sakurabas ear
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Truly sorry for not saying it days ago....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL!!!

Bump! Phone Post
9/19/13 10:36 AM
Knockdown1967
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

9/19/13 10:53 AM
KroniK
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didnt know this thread existed

Happy Belated!

As a father to a special needs child, I know what you are going through and I wish well for Rachel and her parents.

9/19/13 10:56 AM
Marcgeo13

Happy belated birthday, shall donate a lil something to help soon. : )

Much love Phone Post 3.0
9/22/13 1:09 AM
bluecloud

TTT
9/22/13 1:09 AM
bluecloud

Marcgeo13 - Happy belated birthday, shall donate a lil something to help soon. : )

Much love Phone Post 3.0

Thank you!!
9/22/13 1:12 AM
bluecloud

KroniK - 

I didnt know this thread existed

Happy Belated!

As a father to a special needs child, I know what you are going through and I wish well for Rachel and her parents.

Thank you!! Sending well wishes and prayers for your child too and your family!! Susanne (Rachel's mom)
9/22/13 2:23 AM
bluecloud

UGCTT_sakurabas ear -  Truly sorry for not saying it days ago....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL!!!

Bump! Phone Post

Thank you!!
9/22/13 11:40 AM
bluecloud

ttt
9/22/13 7:22 PM
Knockdown1967
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

Thank you everyone.

9/24/13 10:05 PM
bluecloud

InteSaSerios - I have to mention that I didn't like that you made it seem (Im guessing not on puprpose) like this was her first trip though and after almost 4000$ was donated then it was mentioned that she has already been there before.

I feel that should have been included in the first post since people might have donated thinking they were helping her experience disneyland for the first time.

Im sure you didn't do that on purpose though. And wish you all the best :)

** I guess it was Knockdown1967 who made it sound like that with the title. But I feel it should have been mentioned in your first response. :)

Hi, no offense taken, On the link for Go Fund Me where I write a full description of Rachel's disability it has stated from day one when signing on with Go Fund Me that it isn't the first time Rachel will be going to Disney World and the link has always been available so all along it has been there.

Here is the paragraph - I would love to bring Rachel to Disney World, for there she is really a different child. I will be honest and say we have been before but it's been years and she gets such joy from it. The magic of Disney seems to have a great effect on her - alert, vocal, no seizures - really amazing.

Joey "Knockdown" Brown nor myself were not trying to hide anything and you are correct is saying it wasn't done on purpose. I thought explaining on Go Fund Me, explained it.

For Rachel, Disney is not just a vacation - it truly is therapy and the amount of stimulation she gets from it can no where be duplicated. The alertness and responsiveness from Rachel lasted at least a good six months or more after she went. There's truth to laughter and joy being the best medicine (and prayer too!)

We are truly thankful for every penny that was given so Rachel could go.
9/24/13 11:00 PM
bluecloud

InteSaSerios - I think I might have pressed "post" to fast without explaining a bit more.

My question was since you have a budget, im sure you also have a calcuited expense plan for all the things needed for this trip..

That would be cool to see. So we all can get an idea how expensive these type of things can get for a family that isn't in a "normal" situation..

I will gladly be open about myself. I don't work, not out of laziness or anything like that. I worked 2 jobs at a time before Rachel was born. I tried to work when Rachel was young. There are only a certain amount of times a job will put up with you taking days off or having to leave early. Rachel has many doctor appointments, therapies, etc. Yesterday perfect example, had doctors appointment with neurologist to get her VNS (Vagal nerve stimulator) adjusted to a new setting, then get in car to another appointment with Rachel's pediatrician to get antibiotics for a urinary infection that she developed. My yearly salary is $11,500 which is the total amount based on Rachel's SSI and child support. This is the same amount I have lived on for years. If one goes up, the other goes down. If I ever have a salary where I receive income of more than $2,000 in a month Rachel will no longer qualify for SSI or Medicaid. No medicaid, no healthcare so I will stay at same level really unless I get one of the top Megamillions payments where Rachel is set for life. I am by no means doing a poor me, we make it. I manage to budget and we actually are able to live on $11,500 - I'm proud of myself and know that God provides for us in many ways. I do though, don't have anything for extras. There is not extra when the car breaks down or you'd like to bring your daughter on a trip.

Breakdown of trip expenses:

4 people going - Myself, Rachel, Joey Brown who is like a father to Rach and will be the muscle who will be lifting 17 year old 90 pound Rachel on and off rides etc (without Joey, Rachel and I would not be able to go just for the pure fact that I could not get her around, he is the one who transports Rachel up and down stairs at my 2nd floor apartment for her to go to the doctors etc. I can't carry her myself anymore) and Dawn, Joey's fiance who is a nursing assistant who will help me if Rachel needs a diaper change, medication or oxygen if having a seizure. Rachel requires more than 1 person always caring for her. At home, Rachel has nursing covered by insurance 7 days a week for 12 hours a day.

Total Disney package for 4 people which includes hotel, tickets to park, and meal plan $3550 booked through Disney.com. Also includes trip insurance should last minute Rachel not be able to go due to a hospitalization.

Car rental - Rachel requires medications, oxygen tank, diapers, food, wheelchair, etc that would be a major hassle to bring on a plane with all the security and costs of baggage. $999 Minivan with enterprise car rentals. 2 days drive to Florida, a week at Disney, 2 days drive home. Can't do 16 hour drive all in one day with Rachel.

Gas Roundtrip $500 calculated on AAA.com

$1,000 which includes - Hotel 2 nights (1 night drive halfway to FL, 1 night drive halfway home), Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party ($248 total, $62 per person) any food not covered in meal plan and anything I forgot.

When coming up with a goal of $6,000 for 4 people for a little over a week including travel time, I did not include any extras in my figuring out an amount.

Hope this helps and you can see where I would never be able to do this without the kindness of others on our yearly income.

I've given more personal information about myself than I've had to reveal but I don't have anything to hide and I'm sincerely not trying to be some mooch or beggar or feel I'm entitled because Rachel has special needs or even throwing a pity party. I'm just a mom who wants to do something great for her daughter and I can't do it all by myself.

9/25/13 11:07 AM
vegasdolphin
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bluecloud - 
InteSaSerios - I think I might have pressed "post" to fast without explaining a bit more.

My question was since you have a budget, im sure you also have a calcuited expense plan for all the things needed for this trip..

That would be cool to see. So we all can get an idea how expensive these type of things can get for a family that isn't in a "normal" situation..

I will gladly be open about myself. I don't work, not out of laziness or anything like that. I worked 2 jobs at a time before Rachel was born. I tried to work when Rachel was young. There are only a certain amount of times a job will put up with you taking days off or having to leave early. Rachel has many doctor appointments, therapies, etc. Yesterday perfect example, had doctors appointment with neurologist to get her VNS (Vagal nerve stimulator) adjusted to a new setting, then get in car to another appointment with Rachel's pediatrician to get antibiotics for a urinary infection that she developed. My yearly salary is $11,500 which is the total amount based on Rachel's SSI and child support. This is the same amount I have lived on for years. If one goes up, the other goes down. If I ever have a salary where I receive income of more than $2,000 in a month Rachel will no longer qualify for SSI or Medicaid. No medicaid, no healthcare so I will stay at same level really unless I get one of the top Megamillions payments where Rachel is set for life. I am by no means doing a poor me, we make it. I manage to budget and we actually are able to live on $11,500 - I'm proud of myself and know that God provides for us in many ways. I do though, don't have anything for extras. There is not extra when the car breaks down or you'd like to bring your daughter on a trip.

Breakdown of trip expenses:

4 people going - Myself, Rachel, Joey Brown who is like a father to Rach and will be the muscle who will be lifting 17 year old 90 pound Rachel on and off rides etc (without Joey, Rachel and I would not be able to go just for the pure fact that I could not get her around, he is the one who transports Rachel up and down stairs at my 2nd floor apartment for her to go to the doctors etc. I can't carry her myself anymore) and Dawn, Joey's fiance who is a nursing assistant who will help me if Rachel needs a diaper change, medication or oxygen if having a seizure. Rachel requires more than 1 person always caring for her. At home, Rachel has nursing covered by insurance 7 days a week for 12 hours a day.

Total Disney package for 4 people which includes hotel, tickets to park, and meal plan $3550 booked through Disney.com. Also includes trip insurance should last minute Rachel not be able to go due to a hospitalization.

Car rental - Rachel requires medications, oxygen tank, diapers, food, wheelchair, etc that would be a major hassle to bring on a plane with all the security and costs of baggage. $999 Minivan with enterprise car rentals. 2 days drive to Florida, a week at Disney, 2 days drive home. Can't do 16 hour drive all in one day with Rachel.

Gas Roundtrip $500 calculated on AAA.com

$1,000 which includes - Hotel 2 nights (1 night drive halfway to FL, 1 night drive halfway home), Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party ($248 total, $62 per person) any food not covered in meal plan and anything I forgot.

When coming up with a goal of $6,000 for 4 people for a little over a week including travel time, I did not include any extras in my figuring out an amount.

Hope this helps and you can see where I would never be able to do this without the kindness of others on our yearly income.

I've given more personal information about myself than I've had to reveal but I don't have anything to hide and I'm sincerely not trying to be some mooch or beggar or feel I'm entitled because Rachel has special needs or even throwing a pity party. I'm just a mom who wants to do something great for her daughter and I can't do it all by myself.

Aww!! I so wish that I could help. As you & most of the UG do, my son is very ill and we are barely getting by to pay bills and keep up with Joeys diet needs.

I will try to stay in touch. I work alot, so I'm not online much at all. Tony ( my husband ) is usually the one on the UG. But he's recovering from a bunch of seizures.

TTT for you!

9/25/13 5:20 PM
bluecloud

Please know I'm keeping you and Tony and Joey and your whole family in prayer. I know how hard it is to deal with all the medical stuff, the questions, the worries, the paperwork, the expenses, the diet, all of it and it's never ending day in and day out. You are not alone. I know what it's like to watch those seizures too and how helpless you feel when your loved one has one. Rachel just had a big one five minutes ago( her nurse is with her) and though you kind of get used to them and you know what you need to do when they have one, you just wish every one would be the last one. I'm here if you need to talk.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.