UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Attn: Business Owners / Self-Employed

7/20/13 12:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hawkeyez
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Were you always in business for yourself or did an event lead you down that path?

I am about to take the plunge and give up my corporate job to work for myself. I have been looking forward to this for some time now but now that I am about to pull the trigger I am questioning myself and clamming up.

I know that the corporate grind is not for me in the long run but it would be great to hear some encouragement from some OG'ers that left their day jobs and never looked back.
7/20/13 1:35 AM
Tinerrz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same position....I have to pull the trigger by 3pm today - it's now 6:30am and I've had about 3 hours sleep (not through lack of trying).....what to do??!!!?? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 1:50 AM
rustyshakleford
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know what is awesome about being your own boss?
Everything is on you. Everything. At the end of the day, if you made that money, you won!
You are so fucking smart, you were able to Produce/inspire/motivate/create :MONEY>
an awesome feeling. If it fails, it hurts, its on you, if you make it and do well.......its like banging two chicks at once. DOPE. Do it, if you fail, you can get another job, if you make it, you literally do what you want.
I have had some lean years, but nobody tells me a GODDAMM thing. Do it. Life is short. We regret the things we didn't do,,not the things we do...
7/20/13 1:51 AM
rustyshakleford
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NOT a GODDAMM Thing,
vote the fuck up....
all yall
7/20/13 1:59 AM
kosmo777
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fact that you have already decided that this is the path you want to take means that you have the right attitude and no doubt, work ethic.

I went out on my own after being an employee for around 14 years or so. I could see that there was money to be made in my industry if you offer the right product, with good service at the right price.

Not sure what particular industry you are in but you have probably seen people making good money who really don't have a clue. You need to be confident in your abilities, back yourself and go head on into it and I'm sure you'll be successful. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 2:00 AM
cameltoenail

Do you know everything all aspects of what you are starting?

There are an awful lot of "technicians" that are awesome at their job but have no practical experience in all of the other aspect of running a business.

Unfortunately they excel in one or two parts of running a business but ultimately fail for not knowing how to really do the back end.

Whats the business and what do you know about it?
7/20/13 2:10 AM
SearchingTudor
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trust in yourselves, an fuck ALL detractors. You have it within yourselves to cjamge your world, no matter what anyone says. Peace be upon you. Phone Post
7/20/13 2:12 AM
SearchingTudor
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, put people around you that know what you are lacking, and trust them to do their jobs. Phone Post
7/20/13 2:39 AM
someonestolemysocks
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A few years back I was laid off from my job, terrified with a year old daughter and no income I instantly hit the job trail, and brothers it was cold. I was receiving some unemployment but not enough to live long on. So I decided to nut up and do what I'd been talking about for a few years and start my own tee shirt line tying in all my favorite things sports, sneakers, movies.

It was an instant success, our first hoody went through 9 restocks at our first account, it's been a pretty steady grind since, it's been about 7 months since our last release because of some personal family things but new tees will dropping in a week and a half, our websites under construction and will be back up then too.

My favorite part about owning my own business is the sense of accomplishment, nothing's like it to know that YOU created something that thousands of people want, and are willing to spend their hard earned money to obtain.

Our newest tees

[IMG]http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s524/someonestolemysocks/null_zpsf20da2a5.jpg[/IMG] Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:22 AM
Hawkeyez
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rustyshakleford - You know what is awesome about being your own boss?
Everything is on you. Everything. At the end of the day, if you made that money, you won!
You are so fucking smart, you were able to Produce/inspire/motivate/create :MONEY>
an awesome feeling. If it fails, it hurts, its on you, if you make it and do well.......its like banging two chicks at once. DOPE. Do it, if you fail, you can get another job, if you make it, you literally do what you want.
I have had some lean years, but nobody tells me a GODDAMM thing. Do it. Life is short. We regret the things we didn't do,,not the things we do...

I know it will be like a roller coaster at times but I am honestly looking forward to it. I don't think I would have it any other way.

Great advice, VU!
7/20/13 11:29 AM
Hawkeyez

someonestolemysocks - A few years back I was laid off from my job, terrified with a year old daughter and no income I instantly hit the job trail, and brothers it was cold. I was receiving some unemployment but not enough to live long on. So I decided to nut up and do what I'd been talking about for a few years and start my own tee shirt line tying in all my favorite things sports, sneakers, movies.

It was an instant success, our first hoody went through 9 restocks at our first account, it's been a pretty steady grind since, it's been about 7 months since our last release because of some personal family things but new tees will dropping in a week and a half, our websites under construction and will be back up then too.

My favorite part about owning my own business is the sense of accomplishment, nothing's like it to know that YOU created something that thousands of people want, and are willing to spend their hard earned money to obtain.

Our newest tees

[IMG]http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s524/someonestolemysocks/null_zpsf20da2a5.jpg[/IMG] Phone Post 3.0

Congrats on your business! Let me know when your website is back up so I can purchase a shirt.
7/20/13 12:46 PM
cruedi
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't say anything about what type of business you're starting, but remember there are more parts to running your business.

You've got to do the "work" be it mowing lawns, computer programming, plumbing etc.

Then you've got to run the business on the backend. You've got to do your marketing, pay the bills, keep track of expenses. Make sure you pay your company taxes, and send in your personal withholding, SSI, etc. Make sure you've got the proper licenses / permits / insurance for it.

Keep your personal bills as separate has you can from the business, believe me if the business fails for any reason you don't want it to drag you down too.

7/20/13 1:22 PM
Badmonkey

Pretty much this.

I always look to this quote when things are tough and i daydream about a steady job joining the "work force:"

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
Friedrich Nietzsche
7/20/13 1:30 PM
Authority Figure

My boss's clients suggested it. So I did it. One of them came with me.

Save up some money to live and work with.

Buy your equipment and pay for your business license and any permits upfront. Budget for 2 years of that.

Write a business plan.

Set some flexible goals for 3-6 years.

Be prepared to see people you thought were smart and courageous show their cowardly streak.

Network. Budget 100-400 just on dinners, happy hours, fundraisers- anything to get you out front.

Budget 1,000 to sponsor a charity event. Your name will be in press release, on t-shirts, on signs etc. Good promo. Phone Post
7/20/13 10:50 PM
rustyshakleford

Authority Figure - My boss's clients suggested it. So I did it. One of them came with me.

Save up some money to live and work with.

Buy your equipment and pay for your business license and any permits upfront. Budget for 2 years of that.

Write a business plan.

Set some flexible goals for 3-6 years.

Be prepared to see people you thought were smart and courageous show their cowardly streak.

Network. Budget 100-400 just on dinners, happy hours, fundraisers- anything to get you out front.

Budget 1,000 to sponsor a charity event. Your name will be in press release, on t-shirts, on signs etc. Good promo. Phone Post
Snap , you just dropped some science Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:13 PM
Harmon Whistler
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will probably fail - initially.. don't let it stop you!

It took me almost 2 years to earn my first dollar. I nearly cashed in multiple times, but looking back, I'm glad I didn't.

Good luck and stay motivated.

7/20/13 11:20 PM
someonestolemysocks
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harmon Whistler -

It took me almost 2 years to earn my first dollar. I nearly cashed in multiple times, but looking back, I'm glad I didn't.

Good advice VTFU, what field are you in? Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:21 PM
IDXtreme

I was not a good employee. I butted heads with alot of bosses. Problem was that I could only get shitty jobs or jobs in constuction. Neither paid that great.

My only education was highschool. But I was good at alot of things. I had no resume since my jobs were short lived.

I figured out that I could bid on work and solicit major companies for servicing their machines without a resume, but as a business.

I made a business plan. Bought a service truck, maxed out my credit cards buying tools, matched the required insurance of the customers, made a script so I wouldn't choke on the phone. My confidence grew with every call. I refined my script and eventually landed some accounts. I was very careful and kept good records and communicated better and better. I now have a name in my industry which helps in perpetuating my business.

The negatives are that I have no health insurance. I have no unemployment insurance, no disability, no worker's comp. I pay cash when I go to the hospital.
7/20/13 11:26 PM
Rev Horror

Eater of Sacred Cows, Pwner

No offense at all but this sounds like bullshit to me. Running a business is not a gamble. Your description sounds like that an college student trying to beat 21 in Vegas.

It depends on what kind of business you want to start OP. I'll say this: plan on spending 3x as much as you think. If you think startup costs are 20k have 60k or you might be forced to make bad decisions.

I know this will fall on deaf ears, but I actually do own a brick and mortar business, and its not the one in my link LOL.

7/20/13 11:33 PM
Harmon Whistler
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

someonestolemysocks - 
Harmon Whistler -

Good advice VTFU, what field are you in? Phone Post 3.0

Landscape/irrigation

7/20/13 11:44 PM
Altofsky
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Takes longer to find a position at this level in my career than it used to. Kept hearing I was overqualified for most positions and the ones I did qualify for are specific and fewer. Took the time to take up my craft and it started going well so I worked it out to fit with actual work.

Its fun and rewarding, so I continue to do it in an effort to master the craft. Ive not plateaud yet, each blade is better than the last and Ill continue as long as Im improving. Eventually my goal is to have a small line of production knives and handle a limited amount of customs over time. Ive already got three, so its a start. Phone Post
8/21/13 4:19 PM
someonestolemysocks

Welp my websites back up with some new tees in stock

http://cleanupclothingnyc.com/shop/

with an offer code for my OG brethren enter "teh og" at checkout
8/21/13 4:56 PM
icedog11
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gladiator Mouthguards, president/principle

greatest part of starting out being self employed is you can work half days and it does not matter if its the first 12 hours of the day or the second

8/21/13 5:19 PM
notsobigmike
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's great in the sense that you're your own boss, but ultimately, no one's really their own boss.

Even if you're king of your company, the customer is still your boss and they can be harder to please than any motherfucker you've worked for.

But, at least you get to decide if they're worth keeping around.
8/21/13 5:23 PM
icedog11
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gladiator Mouthguards, president/principle
notsobigmike - It's great in the sense that you're your own boss, but ultimately, no one's really their own boss.

Even if you're king of your company, the customer is still your boss and they can be harder to please than any motherfucker you've worked for.

But, at least you get to decide if they're worth keeping around.

I have a dentist client who at christmas every year he let his employees fire one patient so long as they replace them, the staff loves this power the dump the p.i.t.a. patients that make their life miserable

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.