UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> JLau: I couldn't be happier with UFC pay structure

7/20/13 11:11 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The issue of fighter compensation is a hot topic, with a number of fighters including Jon Fitch, John Cholish, Jacob Volkmann, and Tim Kennedy vocally advocating for higher pay.

UFC management has argued back that fighter compensation is determined by how much fans want to see a fighter, and that fans are not paying an average of $250 in an arena or $50 on a pay per view in order to watch say Jacob Volkmann.

The 22-8 Joe Lauzon has never fought for the title, and has a relatively modest contract with the organization, but in a a recent interview with Boston's 1460 AM Sports Radi, he said he couldn't be happier with the organization's compensation structure. A lot of that presumably has to do with the 12 'of the Night' performance bonuses he has earned, tied with Anderson Silva for the record.

“We’re paid fighters, so getting in to the UFC doesn’t mean you’re gonna have this cushy job," said Lauzon. "You get paid based on how your performance goes. I’ve been very fortunate where I have had some great fights and I’ve been rewarded with some bonuses. I couldn’t be happier with the pay structure. It all comes down to people wanting to see you fight.”

Lauzon will be looking to add one more bonus when he fights Michael Johnson at UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen, on August 17th in Boston.

Where do you fall on the compensation issue? There appears to be four separate groups of people involved. Management, prelim fighters, top fighters, and non-fighter ZUFFA employees.

No one seems to care how say a video editor at ZUFFA headquarters is being compensated, which leaves three - top fighters, other fighters, management.

There is a finite amount of money - ticket prices are set by what the market will bear, not by costs. Thus, if one of those three groups gets more, it is going to come from one of the other two, or from both. Do you think things are reasonable as they are, or would you like to see someone get more.

And if someone gets more, who pays for it?

Or would you like to pay for it, via increased ticket or PPV prices?

7/20/13 11:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sincitydc
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well he has certainly enjoyed a bonus or two. Definitely deserving. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:15 AM
Mr Makaveli
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sincitydc - Well he has certainly enjoyed a bonus or two. Definitely deserving. Phone Post 3.0
This. He deserves every penny. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:17 AM
gokudamus

what is this world coming to when you have to actually perform in order to get paid?

7/20/13 11:28 AM
InYoMommaCloset

Edited: 07/20/13 11:28 AM
Jesus.

What the FUCK is with these people they can't comprehend the simple logic.

Crank up the entry of prelim fighter pay, such that they would make the equivalent of a minimum wage job they work the year round.

That way, they have a 3 fight contract by example - they fight three times in one year, and they can focus solely on their training regiment without having to worry about secondary employment.

It's fucking drop in the bucket on the grand scale of things as far as the UFC's finances are concerned.

I advocate the incentives and performance bonuses and what not, but just consider the basic financial planning behind the situation for the lower tier fighters (who are tomorrows higher tier fighters - if they perform well, that's their incentive right there).

Like Volkman said.
15 G's a fight, for a 3 fight per year contract - that's the base level pay.
45g's a year, after deductions, is not a cracking sum of money, but it's reasonable for the position them fighters are in.
7/20/13 11:31 AM
CaliKush
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NEVER MISS A JLAU FIGHT Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:38 AM
ranier wolfcastle
842 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am sure he could be happier, if they paid more

but yeah hes doing well for himself

7/20/13 11:41 AM
sincitydc
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaliKush - NEVER MISS A JLAU FIGHT Phone Post 3.0
Same. That guy better be in the UFC for his entire career. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:43 AM
Malvert the Janitor
787 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree with Joe.

Since when is it mandatory for athletes to be millionaires? Like I've said before, if they paid millions just because folks had dangerous jobs, kids would be going to college for coal mining.

I respect all professionals, fighters included. But I don't necessarily believe they deserve to be paid lavishly simply because they fight for a living. I like that there's the potential to be paid well, just like in other professions and, typically, that pay is merit based. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:54 AM
YHTOMIT2001
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lauzon has racked up on those bonuses. Plus he strikes me as the kind of guy that's smart enough to not go publicly bad mouthing the people signing his checks even if he did have issues w/ the pay. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 11:55 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 07/20/13 12:06 PM
InYoMommaCloset - Jesus.

Crank up the entry of prelim fighter pay, such that they would make the equivalent of a minimum wage job they work the year round.

That way, they have a 3 fight contract by example - they fight three times in one year, and they can focus solely on their training regiment without having to worry about secondary employment.

It's fucking drop in the bucket on the grand scale of things as far as the UFC's finances are concerned.

I advocate the incentives and performance bonuses and what not, but just consider the basic financial planning behind the situation for the lower tier fighters (who are tomorrows higher tier fighters - if they perform well, that's their incentive right there).

Like Volkman said.
45g's a year, after deductions, is not a cracking sum of money, but it's reasonable for the position them fighters are in.

why would you pay 45k in guaranteed money when there are 100 fighters waiting in line willing to fight for 1k or even free.

zuffa is paying 6 times the market rate as it is.    GSP did just fine starting with half what the current lowest tier fighters make and CHuck Lidell started with 6 times less.

If you dont love it, this is not something you should be doing.   if you wanna make minimum wage go work at mcdonalds.

Now if you're arguing that zuffa is making so much money...  and that fighters need to be paid based on zuffa's revenue and not their actual market price... where were you when zuffa was losing 10's of millions of dollars?

were you calling for fighters to work for free when zuffa was losing millions?

Market price dictates pay.

Dont blame zuffa for being the only real buyer in the market.  WHy should they be penalized for being the only ones who have figured out how to make it work?  They should be rewarded for figuring out how to stay in business while paying hundreds of guys who otherwise would not be able to make money doing what they love.

If fighters are really underpaid anyone can go and open up an MMA promotion and grab up all this cheap talent...  if a stock was underpriced everyone would be buying it and it wouldnt be underpriced for very long.

7/20/13 12:10 PM
GaryColeman

I think I get more excited to see Lauzon fight than any other fighter. I hope they are paying him well. Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 12:20 PM
Don_Dada
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/20/13 12:21 PM

12 OTN bonuses is unreal. 

7/20/13 12:21 PM
cool hand Ed
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InYoMommaCloset - Jesus.

Like Volkman said.
I need something explained to me. On the OG, you literally come across as a mouth breathing retard. But this post is pretty well thought out and the grammar is far beyond your OG contributions. What gives? Is the OG personality a character? If so, great troll!! Lol Phone Post
7/20/13 12:24 PM
MrHughes1991
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InYoMommaCloset - Jesus.

Like Volkman said.
http://i.imgur.com/VicZd6g.png Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 12:32 PM
Don_Dada
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InYoMommaCloset - Jesus.

Like Volkman said.

I dont think its even a guaranteed 3 fights a year now. I heard Danzig speak about the new contracts since they got renegotiated after the Strikeforce buyout and he says they are only guaranteed 2 fights every 10 months. So it's basically a guaranteed 2 fights a year now which is simply not good enough.

7/20/13 12:33 PM
MrHughes1991
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don_Dada -
InYoMommaCloset - Jesus.

Like Volkman said.

I dont think its even a guaranteed 3 fights a year now. I heard Danzig speak about the new contracts since they got renegotiated after the Strikeforce buyout and he says they are only guaranteed 2 fights every 10 months. So it's basically a guaranteed 2 fights a year now which is simply not good enough.

Yeah they're guaranteed that but they can have more if they want Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 12:38 PM
B_Goetz

UFC 155
-Joe Lauzon made $92,000 ($27K show + $65K FOTN bonus) for 15:00 unanimous decision loss.

UFC on Fox 4
Joe Lauzon made $148,000 ($24K show + $24K win bonus + $50K FOTN bonus + $50K SUB bonus) for 12:44 submission win.

UFC 144
Joe Lauzon: $24,000

Joe made $264,000 last year, not including sponsors, undisclosed bonuses, and any seminars or other appearance fees he may receive.
7/20/13 12:50 PM
JROTT
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're the very first / second card on a fight, do u really need a 3 month straight training camp?? Not bashing at all, but the level of talent is different for the first fight of the night vs the last. Didn't Shane Carwin hold down an engineering job while fighting his first couple of fights?

I work full time, and have time to hit the gym every day (if I wasn't lazy) afterwards. Making 45k a year for training after work and fighting every 4 months seems manageable. But wtf do I know.. Phone Post
7/20/13 12:57 PM
lenz0799

Post isn't working for android app, can't see the op on the board either. Phone Post
7/20/13 12:58 PM
Vader03
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe lauzon is my favorite fighter to watch. Win or lose his fights are exciting EVERY time. Not one boring fight. I will always support j lau! Phone Post 3.0
7/20/13 12:59 PM
InYoMommaCloset

cool hand ed - I need something explained to me. On the OG, you literally come across as a mouth breathing retard. But this post is pretty well thought out and the grammar is far beyond your OG contributions. What gives? Is the OG personality a character? If so, great troll!! Lol

Nah.
OG is chill out time, for the most part, so grammatical precision isn't really a priority over there.

Here, this is a topic I feel rather strongly about, seems as I have had numerous employment situations where I was underpaid, struggle to cover rent, food, basic expenses, so I feel for people in that position.

Simply put, when an athlete is signed to the UFC, that should be his main focus.

If you asked those numpty's like CindyO, who have never fought, never trained, have absolutely zero comprehension of what a training camp entails both mentally and physically and have probably never been outside their comfort bubble in their entire lives, save to criticize those who make that endevour, they'll probably tell you the ins and outs and ups and downs of how a fighter should live and work and have satisfactory monetary benefits, be it from part time work or holding down a full time job or (my favorite), at a very minimum, using their "spare time" during training camp, to get a university degree - lol. Gotta love CindyO.

But the fact of the matter is, when a fighter makes the UFC roster, his sole priority should be a 100% performance.

UFC base level pay does not give him that opportunity, due to the necessity to have that extra income.

Is it going to change?

Do I really think making slightly emotive posts on an internet forum is going to have any baring on whether UFC administration decided to more comprehensively cover their entry level fighters financial requirements?

I don't know.

But it's a situation that really needs to be examined more closely with a more astute eye, because the UFC is setting the bar for mma across the world.
They've done great things, but this, I truly believe, is something that needs to be addressed, despite the criticisms of those who support a lower pay system for the most lowly paid fighters (baffling and all as that is - but people are funny, you know?).

http://i.imgur.com/VicZd6g.png

And I fucking LOL'ed at this.
7/20/13 3:34 PM
Foos
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paying the lowest tier fighters a livable wage would be good for the sport. Yes, it's true that the undercard fighters aren't selling enough tickets to justify higher wages, but look at them as an investment for the future.

If a lower tier fighter can focus 100% on fighting then they will be able to perform at the best of their abilities, which in turn will make the UFC product look better.
7/20/13 4:01 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones -  I would actually argue that Zuffa is overpaying the lower tier fighters. Those are investments really, gambles if you will when, by and large, 80% of lower tier fighters will never draw a ppv buy rate or a ratings point.

One solution would be for Zuffa to just put on less fights per card. Like perhaps 4-5 fights per card. Less fighters overall instead of 400 closer to around 150. But that makes it hard for Zuffa to try out talent and miss the Jon Jones of the world. Jones started as a prelime fighter. I believe he negotiated something like $8k/$8k to be a last moment replacement. Phone Post

You'd be wrong for at least two reasons.

1) Plenty of fans do want to see those lower tier fighters. Sure, many main stream fans don't give a shit. However, many of us watch every fight on a card from the prelims onward. For example, the prelims on FX had strong ratings, averaging 1.36 million viewers. The total payroll for the FX prelim fighters was $239,000 - they easily paid for themselves with viewership alone, let alone any contributions, however small, that they add to ticket sales and increased sales in merchandise since fans are in the building longer and thus more likely to purchase merchandise. Could any other fighters do this? Sure, but that's hardly a good argument for lower pay. Lot's of others can, but that's the case with many occupations, even at higher pay than these fighters are making and you're not going to find a lot of people of equivalent skill levels who will do the job for less, especially over time.

2) This sort of ties into what you said, but it goes beyond that. It's true that not all the prelim fighters are going to be stars, but some will be and over time even many of the ones who don't will develop a fan base that allows the UFC to use them to increase an events viewership. The UFC can't just throw a bunch of guys no one has heard of onto the main card, even if the headlining fight is strong. It wont sell nearly as well. Most people become bigger fans of fighters over time and they want to watch those fighters fight more than someone they are unfamiliar with, especially if that fighter wins and they find their style interesting. The UFC needs fighters with a fanbase. It has two options to get them - it can either build them up from within it's own org or it can wait for them to develop in other orgs and then seek to obtain them. Obviously the UFC does both, but building them up from within the org tends to be cheaper and mitigates the risk of another org building up many fighters (and the org) and those fighters with a fanbase not wishing to come under the Zuffa umbrella.
7/20/13 4:04 PM
gokudamus

Guess what fuckers. U want three fight minimum and 45 a year? U can get it by building yourself up outside the UFC and negotiating that contract. Many other fighters have gotten even much fatter contracts that way. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.