UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Liddell: Playing it safe is biggest problem in MMA

7/21/13 10:20 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

MMA has a number of problems, including use of PEDs, issues over compensation, and it is still illegal to fight professionally in New York state.

However, former UFC lightheavyweight champion and current UFC executive VP of business development Chuck Liddell recently appearanced on Inside MMA, and said the biggest problem in the sport is guys playing it safe.

Liddell used UFC welterweight Georges St-Pierre as an example. Although it could be attributed to an increased caliber of competition, but there was a marked change in GSP fight resutls before and after his KO loss to Matt Serra.

In the nine fights before the Serra loss, GSP had three wins by TKO, three wins by submission (and a loss by submission), and three submissions. In the eleven fights since the Serra loss, GSP has had two wins by TKO, one win by submission, and eight wins by decision, inlcuding the last six fights.

"I'm probably not going to be popular with the fighters with this one, but my biggest problem is guys playing it safe," said Liddell. "I understand it from a coach's standpoint and a manager's standpoint. I understand why you'd want to play it safe and win the fight, win every fight. I get it. But do I want to watch a guy go beat a guy for four rounds and then ride him the fifth round not doing anything?

"You want to be worth more? Go out and fight. Have fun. Knock people out. Submit them. Beat them. I don't care. Just go try to finish a fight."

"That's one of the reasons I retired. To stick around, the way I was fighting, I'd have to start playing it safe. I went out on my shield. That's the way I liked it. I fought that way my whole career. I don't want to bore people my last three or four fights."

What do you think is the biggest problem in MMA? And what do you think about fighters playing it safe?

Thanks to Yahoo for the transcription.

7/21/13 10:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Brool Story Company
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no, he's wrong, Mighty Mouse and GSP are exciting, he just doesn't truly appreciate MMA

- MMA snobs

7/21/13 10:25 PM
cool hand Ed
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. When he took Wandy down in the 3rd, he stole the possibility of an epic round from us. Phone Post
7/21/13 10:27 PM
PoundFoolish
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool hand Ed - I agree. When he took Wandy down in the 3rd, he stole the possibility of an epic round from us. Phone Post
it was pretty epic. what fight were you watching Phone Post
7/21/13 10:28 PM
Carrtrouble
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundFoolish -
cool hand Ed - I agree. When he took Wandy down in the 3rd, he stole the possibility of an epic round from us. Phone Post
This lol Phone Post 3.0
7/21/13 10:32 PM
Drunkie
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i really agree with his comments. but the ufc is to blame for alot of this. you have fighters scared to fight because they fear they might get cut. there are some fighters the ufc has kept who lost but always fought. but for the most part fighters know if they lose 3 fights in a row they prolly gone.

fighters are smart if you give them a system where they can win on points with out taking much damage sooner or later fighters and trainers will start working the system to keep there guys safe. maybe change the pay structure. x amount to show then x amount for a finish. if you just win you get only your show money maybe.that kinda sucks but it would encourage people to go balls out atleast
7/21/13 10:33 PM
cool hand Ed
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 3rd round was epic when he took wandy down and layed on him? Phone Post
7/21/13 10:39 PM
TtoMyJ14
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool to see chuck honest like that. You definitely can tell since he was koed by rampage he started fighting more with a shield.
7/21/13 10:40 PM
bartatua
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool hand Ed -  The 3rd round was epic when he took wandy down and layed on him? Phone Post

Rewatch the fight
7/21/13 10:42 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
471 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunkie - i really agree with his comments. but the ufc is to blame for alot of this. you have fighters scared to fight because they fear they might get cut. there are some fighters the ufc has kept who lost but always fought. but for the most part fighters know if they lose 3 fights in a row they prolly gone.

fighters are smart if you give them a system where they can win on points with out taking much damage sooner or later fighters and trainers will start working the system to keep there guys safe. maybe change the pay structure. x amount to show then x amount for a finish. if you just win you get only your show money maybe.that kinda sucks but it would encourage people to go balls out atleast

That's true but if you consistantly fight 'safe' and boring, you run the risk of getting cut after only one loss like Fitch. On the flip side, guys who go balls to the wall usually have more of a safety net if they lose, like Dan Hardy.

7/21/13 10:43 PM
cool hand Ed

bartatua -
cool hand Ed -  The 3rd round was epic when he took wandy down and layed on him? Phone Post

Rewatch the fight
Will do. I admit its been a while. Phone Post
7/21/13 10:46 PM
transamman

"In the nine fights before the Serra loss, GSP had three wins by TKO, three wins by submission (and a loss by submission), and three submissions"

wut? Phone Post 3.0
7/21/13 10:51 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hard to say anything GSP does is a "problem" for MMA with the numbers he pulls. Phone Post
7/21/13 11:08 PM
Ip Man 81

Lol it was an epic fight, him taking Wandy down actual was exciting Phone Post 3.0
7/21/13 11:09 PM
huggy bear

Carrtrouble -
PoundFoolish -
This lol Phone Post 3.0
I second this that fight was a war I assume chuck didn't want anymore brain damage. Phone Post 3.0
7/21/13 11:21 PM
bartatua
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool hand Ed - 
bartatua -

Rewatch the fight
Will do. I admit its been a while. Phone Post

That was an unexpectedly cordial response

If memory serves they just weren't on the ground very long at all in any round
7/21/13 11:23 PM
Samoa
561 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunkie - i really agree with his comments. but the ufc is to blame for alot of this. you have fighters scared to fight because they fear they might get cut. there are some fighters the ufc has kept who lost but always fought. but for the most part fighters know if they lose 3 fights in a row they prolly gone.

Chris Lytle disagrees? Phone Post 3.0
7/21/13 11:23 PM
WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's check back with Chuck in a few years and see how the ol slurr is doin....

7/21/13 11:47 PM
Gucci2x

Edited: 07/21/13 11:46 PM
I love how they show Burkman vs Fitch @1:17 when they're talking about fights not getting finished. Lol
7/21/13 11:53 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Athletes competing to win as the first priority at the highest level of a sport is not relegated to MMA.
7/22/13 12:07 AM
Authority Figure

Finally a legend that is good standing with the UFC says it. Now its harder to ignore.

7/22/13 12:22 AM
kinson

I live that man chuck. Phone Post
7/22/13 12:30 AM
Brian J DSouza

Would be nice if this phrase "MMA has a number of problems, including use of PEDs, issues over compensation, and it is still illegal to fight professionally in New York state" was written more accurately in articles henceforth, to say:

"MMA has a number of problems, including use of PEDs; low fighter pay combined with unchecked greed regarding the signing of fighter rights and likenesses, as well as the parasitic attitude of promotions towards sponsors; and it is still illegal to fight professionally in New York state."

7/22/13 12:44 AM
blupitt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - Am i missing something? Why cant i see op? Phone Post
Me too. I think its cuz were both on phones? Phone Post
7/22/13 12:55 AM
Got MMAlk

Mu feeling on this issue is leonard garcia. Loss after loss and I cant help but love him. Too bad his next fight is in legacy instead of the UFC. I ALWAYS want a leonard garcia fight on the cards i watch. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.