UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC1 fighters reflect on the event 20 years later

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/23/13 12:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
possum jitsu
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -

was this a gi choke?

these guys dont think so
I always thought it was. Although just watching the fight and looking for it, i say you can see him grab his bicep. His arms would've been in a dif position had it been a gi choke. That was some sorta rear naked choke. Phone Post
7/23/13 2:17 PM
William Colosimo
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks!
7/23/13 2:25 PM
Jack Skellington
962 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

read BJM book

as a life long fan I was amazed how much I learned

7/23/13 3:06 PM
Lux Fixxins
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crowbar -
ssj - awesome read

i lol'd @ the 10k art made at UFC1 and there are still fighters making less than that 160 UFc's later ..

Art made $20,000.

Hell,SEG even offered Art 20% of the company,but Art chose the 20,000 cash.

Bad investment.

Ouch. Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 3:08 PM
StratTone
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramy Daoud - Art Jimmerson made more in UFC 1 than some prelim fighters make today Phone Post 3.0

My guess is it was because he was a top 10 fighter and under card fighters are not.............

7/23/13 3:09 PM
Lux Fixxins

ssj - awesome read

i lol'd @ the 10k art made at UFC1 and there are still fighters making less than that 160 UFc's later ..
SEC Also ended up having to sell to Zuffa.

So make of that what you will. Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 3:11 PM
epwar
677 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramy Daoud - Art Jimmerson made more in UFC 1 than some prelim fighters make today Phone Post 3.0

Haha, good point.  VTFU!

7/23/13 3:17 PM
TheBearStare
455 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
7/23/13 3:19 PM
Zaph
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Phone Post
7/23/13 3:29 PM
Nerdface Killah

We were at my friends house and back then you'd just call in to order a ppv with a password I believe. My friend knew the pw and called in to order. Amazing experience to see that ppv. Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 3:40 PM
Filo_Beto

Prelims??

He's making the same as TKZ and he's fighting for the belt.
7/23/13 3:42 PM
Filo_Beto

ssj - awesome read

It was 20k
7/23/13 3:47 PM
graciesrule
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good article.
7/23/13 3:49 PM
Filo_Beto

Lux Fixxins - 
ssj - awesome read

SEC Also ended up having to sell to Zuffa.

So make of that what you will. Phone Post 3.0

Because of the political pressure brought by crooked politicians. They did not have the financial resources as the billionaires who bought the company.
7/23/13 4:01 PM
Humboldt
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 4:23 PM
JoeHurley
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For people talking abou the pay, keep in mind this is was a true NHB tournament where you may fight 2 or 3 times in the same night.

7/23/13 4:28 PM
Haulport
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very cool.

7/23/13 4:35 PM
D241
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeHurley - 

For people talking abou the pay, keep in mind this is was a true NHB tournament where you may fight 2 or 3 times in the same night.

That's a valid counter point. Taking into account it wasn't 10k per fight, that does adjust the apples to oranges comparison.

But even still, all the more reason to respect the old school guys.  They took far more risk, for less pay. Even if the pay was equal, the risk isn't. Lower level new guys who complain about short notice fights, puh-lease.

7/23/13 4:53 PM
JoeHurley
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 
JoeHurley - 

That's a valid counter point. Taking into account it wasn't 10k per fight, that does adjust the apples to oranges comparison.

But even still, all the more reason to respect the old school guys.  They took far more risk, for less pay. Even if the pay was equal, the risk isn't. Lower level new guys who complain about short notice fights, puh-lease.

You are 100% correct.

Those guys showed up for a tournament that nobody had even seen before.  It was NHB rules which most people didn't fully understand and comprehend what could happen to you in there. You had no idea who else was in except for Royce who you knew nothing about. You didnt know who you were fighting until the event. No 3 month training camp with video of opponents fights to study. You couldn't get many of today's ufc fighters to show up unprepared on days to weeks notice to fight just one time against an unknown opponent, let alone a tournament in one night. I'm not slamming them because I fully understand about the money, the small window you have in this business to make a living, and having to be smart about managing your career, but there is a respect for the old school guys that nobody else deserves.

7/23/13 5:48 PM
Rocky Dennis
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 6:00 PM
patsully98
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at Shamrock bitching about the gi. The gi is a huge DISadvantage for the guy wearing it, especially if the opponent isn't. Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 6:15 PM
Lazer MMA

Sweet
7/23/13 6:58 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeHurley -
D241 - 
JoeHurley - 

You are 100% correct.

Those guys showed up for a tournament that nobody had even seen before.  It was NHB rules which most people didn't fully understand and comprehend what could happen to you in there. You had no idea who else was in except for Royce who you knew nothing about. You didnt know who you were fighting until the event. No 3 month training camp with video of opponents fights to study. You couldn't get many of today's ufc fighters to show up unprepared on days to weeks notice to fight just one time against an unknown opponent, let alone a tournament in one night. I'm not slamming them because I fully understand about the money, the small window you have in this business to make a living, and having to be smart about managing your career, but there is a respect for the old school guys that nobody else deserves.

To play devil's advocate, didn't Royce have plenty of knowledge of his opponents? His older brother did set the event up and hand pick the fighters for the first several events. Phone Post
7/23/13 7:03 PM
SJBenoist
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VU for the OP and the best article I've read in a long time.

It should also be noted 20k in 1993, adjusted for inflation is about 33K today. And that was just Show money.
OTOH, they needed Jimmerson for his status in boxing more than for his ability as a fighter, so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

This also reminds me of how different VT fights were from "MMA" fights. No take-downs for "points", no holding on until the end of the round. The problems of being in guard with headbutts in play. And so on, and so on ...

The gi is absolutely an advantage for a grappler. It makes your opponent easier to control when sweaty and opens a lot of very nasty, very quick chokes.
The Gracies weren't handicapping themselves by wearing one ;)
7/23/13 7:06 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" The gi is absolutely an advantage for a grappler. It makes your opponent easier to control when sweaty and opens a lot of very nasty, very quick chokes.
The Gracies weren't handicapping themselves by wearing one ;)"

Unless the opponent is Sakuraba Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.