UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC1 fighters reflect on the event 20 years later

7/23/13 7:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ajjr0ller
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" The gi is absolutely an advantage for a grappler. It makes your opponent easier to control when sweaty and opens a lot of very nasty, very quick chokes.
The Gracies weren't handicapping themselves by wearing one ;)"

Unless the opponent is Sakuraba Phone Post
7/23/13 7:56 PM
falsecrack
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man, does shamrock know he sounds like a douche every time he opens his mouth?  seriously

7/23/13 8:47 PM
JoeHurley
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajjr0ller - 
JoeHurley -
D241 - 
JoeHurley - 

For people talking abou the pay, keep in mind this is was a true NHB tournament where you may fight 2 or 3 times in the same night.

That's a valid counter point. Taking into account it wasn't 10k per fight, that does adjust the apples to oranges comparison.

But even still, all the more reason to respect the old school guys.  They took far more risk, for less pay. Even if the pay was equal, the risk isn't. Lower level new guys who complain about short notice fights, puh-lease.

You are 100% correct.

Those guys showed up for a tournament that nobody had even seen before.  It was NHB rules which most people didn't fully understand and comprehend what could happen to you in there. You had no idea who else was in except for Royce who you knew nothing about. You didnt know who you were fighting until the event. No 3 month training camp with video of opponents fights to study. You couldn't get many of today's ufc fighters to show up unprepared on days to weeks notice to fight just one time against an unknown opponent, let alone a tournament in one night. I'm not slamming them because I fully understand about the money, the small window you have in this business to make a living, and having to be smart about managing your career, but there is a respect for the old school guys that nobody else deserves.

To play devil's advocate, didn't Royce have plenty of knowledge of his opponents? His older brother did set the event up and hand pick the fighters for the first several events. Phone Post

Good point. Royce was a special case as Rorion's brother.  Even knowing who he's going against doesn't give you much to gameplan on given a lack of film on a lot of guys back then, but Royce's gameplan was the same for everyone back then so it doesn't matter all that much.

7/23/13 10:19 PM
Liyon
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeHurley - 
ajjr0ller - 
JoeHurley -
D241 - 
JoeHurley - 

For people talking abou the pay, keep in mind this is was a true NHB tournament where you may fight 2 or 3 times in the same night.

That's a valid counter point. Taking into account it wasn't 10k per fight, that does adjust the apples to oranges comparison.

But even still, all the more reason to respect the old school guys.  They took far more risk, for less pay. Even if the pay was equal, the risk isn't. Lower level new guys who complain about short notice fights, puh-lease.

You are 100% correct.

Those guys showed up for a tournament that nobody had even seen before.  It was NHB rules which most people didn't fully understand and comprehend what could happen to you in there. You had no idea who else was in except for Royce who you knew nothing about. You didnt know who you were fighting until the event. No 3 month training camp with video of opponents fights to study. You couldn't get many of today's ufc fighters to show up unprepared on days to weeks notice to fight just one time against an unknown opponent, let alone a tournament in one night. I'm not slamming them because I fully understand about the money, the small window you have in this business to make a living, and having to be smart about managing your career, but there is a respect for the old school guys that nobody else deserves.

To play devil's advocate, didn't Royce have plenty of knowledge of his opponents? His older brother did set the event up and hand pick the fighters for the first several events. Phone Post

Good point. Royce was a special case as Rorion's brother.  Even knowing who he's going against doesn't give you much to gameplan on given a lack of film on a lot of guys back then, but Royce's gameplan was the same for everyone back then so it doesn't matter all that much.

Keep in mind that Rorian's idea for the UFC was basically as a PPV informercial to sell GracieJJ to the public. He made sure things went in his favor as much as possible. If nothing else, the fact that the Gracies actually had a history of fighting NHB/Vale Tudo was a huge advantage.

As for why they picked Royce, Rickson just looked like a bad-ass and Royler was considered too small. Royce wasn't huge, but he wasn't sacrificing length and reach like Royler would have.
7/23/13 10:23 PM
Liyon
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

patsully98 - Lol at Shamrock bitching about the gi. The gi is a huge DISadvantage for the guy wearing it, especially if the opponent isn't. Phone Post 3.0

Shamrock had never trained with a gi or against anyone with a gi, so it would have been a disadvantage for him.

Great article! Brings back lots of memories. I remember first reading about the UFC in the March 1994 issue of Black Belt magazine. I remember telling all my friends in school about this real-life bloodsport event that was held in Denver and bringing the magazine as proof.

Saw my first UFC with UFC 4 on VHS when I spotted it on the new release wall at Blockbuster Video. MMA has been my favorite sport ever since.
7/23/13 10:33 PM
Topsyjt
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OPVU. Superb reading. Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 11:14 PM
Master of Cool
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is the Sambo or Judo guy at UFC 1? Phone Post 3.0
7/23/13 11:47 PM
D241
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeHurley - 
D241 - 
JoeHurley - 

You are 100% correct.

slow clap

To all the old school pioneer warriors......

7/23/13 11:54 PM
D241

To touch up on the old school guys.....

The old school guys showed that you had to be a legitimate, out of the ordinary bad ass, to even compete in something like that.  The rules of no weights, barely any rules, and multiple fights in one night, that really separated the tough, and the super tough.

It was needed. Multiple fights in one night, proved few people could do this. As the sport grew, fans started learning skills/skillsets, understanding more aspects of the fighting than just two guys going at it. It wasn't necisary to have multiple fights in one night. Fans got to see more skills used.

Unfortunately, more rules hampered skills, like headbutts for wrestlers like Mark Coleman.  I think the late 90's/early 2000's was the best era.  Skilled tough fighters who won fights based purely on skills, without the use of using the clock as an ally. The clock was always the enemy.

7/23/13 11:58 PM
D241

Not to thread change, but Royce vs Coleman with headbutts allowed in 98/99, that would've been awesome

7/24/13 2:30 AM
danny A
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master of Cool - Where is the Sambo or Judo guy at UFC 1? Phone Post 3.0

They didn't wait long for a Judo guy. Remco Pardoel was in UFC 2. I'm racking my brain on Sambo and can't come up with anyone other that Oleg Taktarov in UFC 5.
7/24/13 2:46 AM
romfartuna
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

danny A - 

They didn't wait long for a Judo guy. Remco Pardoel was in UFC 2. I'm racking my brain on Sambo and can't come up with anyone other that Oleg Taktarov in UFC 5.

Freek Hamaaker, Dutch Sambo guy from Holland in UFC 2.
7/24/13 10:32 AM
Jaybrone
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So far real interesting. Thank you op and vtfu.

7/24/13 10:39 AM
ranier wolfcastle
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

romfartuna - 
danny A - 

Freek Hamaaker, Dutch Sambo guy from Holland in UFC 2.

i saw that fight and it was pretty lame. sambist on top doing g n p only. no subs

7/24/13 1:04 PM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 

ART JIMMERSON (BOXER, PARTICIPANT): They wanted me so bad. They offered me $10,000 at first; then they said, "You're in the top 10 in the world, and we need someone legitimate—we'll double it." My manager and I were like, This will be easy money.

JIMMERSON: I was thinking, If I'm knocking out guys in the gym with 16-ounce gloves, what am I going to do to someone with my bare fists? I felt sorry for these guys. Who could beat me?

lol

The prophet has spoken.

7/24/13 1:47 PM
Bry Bry

great article...seems like Shamrock is still making excuses for that first loss to royce...

as for the gi, Royce also mentioned another reason he wore it is because strikers would be more likely to grab his gi instead of punch him in the face..

i really wonder after watching Ufc 1, how many fighters saw royce gracie and were chomping at the bit to get into Ufc 2 to beat him??i mean, are there stories of the Gracies rejecting certain fighters for Ufc 2?

7/24/13 2:12 PM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

Not to thread change, but Royce vs Coleman with headbutts allowed in 98/99, that would've been awesome

The headbutts becoming illegal hurting Coleman's game is overblown. They were still legal when he lost to Maurice.

7/24/13 2:44 PM
Chalupa

"SHAMROCK: The referee asked, "Did you tap?" Obviously I had, and I said, "Yes, I tapped." But I remember sitting there for a moment, thinking, He just cheated. They took away my shoes; they took away my kneepads; they took away the things that made me who I was as a fighter. But they let him wear a gi? ..."

Of course, Ken. If they had let you wear your shoes and kneepads you would have won.

7/24/13 3:50 PM
TwinkieTheKid
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome article! Loved to hear the background stories...
7/24/13 3:58 PM
MrColdCock
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
7/24/13 4:59 PM
Fury2Feed
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goddamn I miss those days. It had such mystique to it back then. You had this feeling like anything could happen and expected all kinds of wild new fighters with weird styles would emerge. Just seems soooo stagnant anymore. Redundant. Ah well.
7/24/13 6:24 PM
MrColdCock
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn
Chuck with that look in his eye
Prime Cro Cop
TRT Vitor

And now;
Ken with shoes and knee pads.

No can defend. Phone Post
7/24/13 8:55 PM
theDude81
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This would make a great ESPN 30 for 30.
7/24/13 10:09 PM
dennis5
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
7/24/13 10:20 PM
El_Varaco
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great read!

moar!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.