UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC1 fighters reflect on the event 20 years later

7/24/13 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MoomBah
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heres a what are they doing now follow up article:

ROYCE GRACIE

Retained his title at UFC 2. Now 46, Gracie (who last fought in 2007 and who has a career record of 14-2-3) teaches jujitsu to everyone from martial arts newcomers to police officers in the Middle East.

GERARD GORDEAU

The Dutchman never fought in another UFC. Instead, he returned to the Hague, where the 54-year-old currently busies himself teaching kickboxing and karate classes at his dojo.

KEVIN ROSIER

Fought again at UFC 4 and submitted to an armbar after 14 seconds. The 51-year-old Army vet now struggles with knee and heart problems as well as head trauma. Says Rosier, "I'm all busted up."

KEN SHAMROCK

He's taking his 28-15-2 record to England for a July 27 MMA scrap with Ian Freeman—but the 49-year-old Shamrock wants fans to know that, contrary to rumors, "it's for fun, not 'cause I have to."

ZANE FRAZIER

Keeping a promise he made himself at UFC 1 that he'd still be in fighting shape 20 years later, Frazier, 46, is scheduled to fight in a King of the Cage card this fall. He also teaches martial arts at a Phoenix country club.

ART JIMMERSON

Lost 13 of his next 17 boxing matches and in 2009 found himself homeless, standing outside a new, public UFC gym in L.A. Now 49, Jimmerson trains clients at that gym and is studying to become a minister.

PATRICK SMITH

Advanced to the UFC 2 finals but succumbed to Royce Gracie; last fought in 2009. In '00, Smith (now 49) was convicted in Colorado of lewd or indecent acts or proposals to a minor.

TEILA TULI

Better known to TV viewers as Kamekona, an informant and the proprietor of Waiola Shave Ice on CBS's Hawaii Five-0.As an actor (Forgetting Sarah Marshall), the 44-year-old uses his legal name, Taylor Wily.

ART DAVIE

Sold his stake in the UFC in 1995. In 2008 he helped launch XARM, "a combination of hardcore arm wrestling, kickboxing, mixed martial arts and mayhem." He also oversees his own ad and marketing outfit.

BOB MEYROWITZ

Sold the UFC to Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta for $2 million in 2001 (current value: close to $2 billion). In '08 he started now defunct YAMMA Pit Fighting. His latest company streams live concerts online.

7/25/13 3:16 AM
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't believe Moombah only has 64 vote ups for this excellent thread. I'll get you again tomorrow:)

Cindy

7/25/13 4:11 AM
escudo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
7/25/13 11:29 AM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imagine taking a $2 million investment and turning into $2 billion in just over 10 years. No, I can't imagine :(
7/25/13 12:00 PM
ajjr0ller
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - Imagine taking a $2 million investment and turning into $2 billion in just over 10 years. No, I can't imagine :(
To be sure, Fertittas invested an additional $40+ million running a deficit until TUF turned it around. Phone Post
7/25/13 12:05 PM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liyon - 
JoeHurley - 
ajjr0ller - 
JoeHurley -
D241 - 
JoeHurley - 

For people talking abou the pay, keep in mind this is was a true NHB tournament where you may fight 2 or 3 times in the same night.

That's a valid counter point. Taking into account it wasn't 10k per fight, that does adjust the apples to oranges comparison.

But even still, all the more reason to respect the old school guys.  They took far more risk, for less pay. Even if the pay was equal, the risk isn't. Lower level new guys who complain about short notice fights, puh-lease.

You are 100% correct.

Those guys showed up for a tournament that nobody had even seen before.  It was NHB rules which most people didn't fully understand and comprehend what could happen to you in there. You had no idea who else was in except for Royce who you knew nothing about. You didnt know who you were fighting until the event. No 3 month training camp with video of opponents fights to study. You couldn't get many of today's ufc fighters to show up unprepared on days to weeks notice to fight just one time against an unknown opponent, let alone a tournament in one night. I'm not slamming them because I fully understand about the money, the small window you have in this business to make a living, and having to be smart about managing your career, but there is a respect for the old school guys that nobody else deserves.

To play devil's advocate, didn't Royce have plenty of knowledge of his opponents? His older brother did set the event up and hand pick the fighters for the first several events. Phone Post

Good point. Royce was a special case as Rorion's brother.  Even knowing who he's going against doesn't give you much to gameplan on given a lack of film on a lot of guys back then, but Royce's gameplan was the same for everyone back then so it doesn't matter all that much.

Keep in mind that Rorian's idea for the UFC was basically as a PPV informercial to sell GracieJJ to the public. He made sure things went in his favor as much as possible. If nothing else, the fact that the Gracies actually had a history of fighting NHB/Vale Tudo was a huge advantage.

As for why they picked Royce, Rickson just looked like a bad-ass and Royler was considered too small. Royce wasn't huge, but he wasn't sacrificing length and reach like Royler would have.

probably the only infomercial in history where you had to beat up 3 guys in one night to promote product. hell of a risk to take with your product. The Gracies may have had a history of nhb fighting, but Royce had only done a few dojo challenge matches by then and was stepping in with much larger men.
7/25/13 12:10 PM
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrColdCock -  Motivated Penn
Chuck with that look in his eye
Prime Cro Cop
TRT Vitor

And now;
Ken with shoes and knee pads.

No can defend. Phone Post

the knee pads was funny, but I garuantee the no shoes rule hurt guys like Ken, Coleman, Randleman, Tank etc. these guys were wrestlers who trained with shoes on and as a wrestler my self I KNOW FOR A FACT I'm quicker and get much better grip going for takedowns with the shoes on.
7/25/13 12:12 PM

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX - 
Prime Cro Cop
TRT Vitor

And now;

the knee pads was funny, but I garuantee the no shoes rule hurt guys like Ken, Coleman, Randleman, Tank etc. these guys were wrestlers who trained with shoes on and as a wrestler my self I KNOW FOR A FACT I'm quicker and get much better grip going for takedowns with the shoes on.

and notice how everyone of these guys put the shoes back on when they went over to pride!
7/25/13 1:03 PM
Chucklesmf
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking amazing thread Phone Post 3.0
7/25/13 3:14 PM
MrColdCock
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX -
Prime Cro Cop
TRT Vitor

And now;

and notice how everyone of these guys put the shoes back on when they went over to pride!
Very true. Ken was wearing shoes by UFC 5 I believe. Still, not sure it matters as he hit the takedown with ease.

BTW, I like the cut of your jib dude. What's your regular screen name? Phone Post
7/25/13 7:21 PM
CavRyda
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for posting, voted up

7/25/13 10:45 PM

MrColdCock - 
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX -
Prime Cro Cop
TRT Vitor

And now;

Very true. Ken was wearing shoes by UFC 5 I believe. Still, not sure it matters as he hit the takedown with ease.

BTW, I like the cut of your jib dude. What's your regular screen name? Phone Post

CLINTK9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.