UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier wants 205 title shot with Nelson win

7/24/13 10:52 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
913 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

34-year-old heavyweight Daniel Cormier is a man on mission. Just one day after the official announcement of his next fight, vs. Roy Nelson at UFC 166, Cormier appeared on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" with Ariel Helwani, and said following a win over 'Big Country' he wants a title shot, at 205.

Current UFC lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones fights Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in September, and Cormier wants the winner. Many believe that will be Jon Jones.

Cormier will make the cut to 205 gingerly, as he had to miss his shot at Olympic gold in 2010 when his kidneys failed in Beijing. Cormier was cutting weight to compete at 211lbs. Cormier is well into a long, gradual cut, and hopes to walk around in the 220 range, at which point a drop to 205 would not be problematic.

What do you think UG? If Cormier beats Nelson, that would make 13 straight wins in a row at heavyweight, does that give him the right to as he put it "cut the line" at 205?

7/24/13 10:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneSidedWar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stipe beat Roy.... Stipe NOT in line...why would a win over Roy get him a title shot again..? Makes no sense. Phone Post
7/24/13 10:58 AM
Vaginal Tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd go watch it at a bar. Phone Post 3.0
7/24/13 11:01 AM
Card
1798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/24/13 11:01 AM
Arlovskis Chin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since when did a win over a short fat jiu jitsu guy at HW get you a shot at a tall, freakishly athletic wrestling at LHW. I don't understand how Cormier's proving anything/ moving closer to the 205 strap. Hopefully nelson KOs him and sends him to 205 where he eventually takes the gold from jones. Phone Post 3.0
7/24/13 11:11 AM
R1WARRIOR

Cormier for the title?? LMAO! What about me??
7/24/13 11:13 AM
Sapa

I'm happy to see this or glover for the title. (But not machida) Phone Post 3.0
7/24/13 11:16 AM
i remember halloween

Since Glover will crush Bader, there should be a quick turn Glover vs. Cormier (if he wins) for a title shot.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cormier ends up unconscious after a Nelson overhand right lands though.

7/24/13 11:18 AM
inspireduk

Ideally Cormier would face Rashad or another Light Heavyweight first before he gets his shot at Jones. The main reason is to see how he feels at that weight against a top contender.
Cormier felt the octagon nerves when he faced Mir and this is a guy who has competed at the highest levels his entire life.
I think he has a great chance against Jones Phone Post
7/24/13 11:19 AM
Aaron Becker

I would like to see Cormier beat Glover to cement his place in the 205 division
7/24/13 11:21 AM
i remember halloween

I'm not at all sold on Cormier.  He looked like shit against Mir in what was about the worst fight in recent history.  I got it that he KO'd a couple names in SF, but they weren't top level guys.  I think Jones wins the fight ridiculously easy and I don't think Cormier is even competitive in it.  I also don't think Cormier has any compelling reason to get a title shot, he isn't even fighting at that weight, nor has he has done anything worth mentioning in the UFC yet.

7/24/13 11:30 AM
cdnz0mbieopc
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i remember halloween - 

I'm not at all sold on Cormier.  He looked like shit against Mir in what was about the worst fight in recent history.  I got it that he KO'd a couple names in SF, but they weren't top level guys.  I think Jones wins the fight ridiculously easy and I don't think Cormier is even competitive in it.  I also don't think Cormier has any compelling reason to get a title shot, he isn't even fighting at that weight, nor has he has done anything worth mentioning in the UFC yet.

Barnett and Bigfoot aren't top level?
7/24/13 11:40 AM
DaleSonnen

lol The guy has only had one fight in the UFC and he thinks he can just get a title shot just like that? That fight with Mir was horrible.. all he did was clinch up with Mir the whole time. I hope Big Country lands a big shot and drops this guys ego down a few pegs. Even if he does get through Roy, that still shouldn't get him any closer. Like someone had said earlier in this post, if he wants to drop down to LHW, make him fight a few other guys first before he gets Bones. Glover, Evans, Davis, Lyoto, hell even Shogun. Cormier isn't as good as he says he is.. or at least i don't think he is.
7/24/13 11:43 AM
AndersonSilvasMoney
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aaron Becker - I would like to see Cormier beat Glover to cement his place in the 205 division
I think I'm with this camp.

Cormier needs to show that he can cut the weight and be competitive at 205 before going for the title. Give him a top 5 fighter like Rashad or Glover. I'd love to see Cormier get a shot eventually, though Phone Post
7/24/13 11:49 AM
DaleSonnen

cdnz0mbieopc - 
i remember halloween - 

He didn't knock out Barnett for one.. and if I remember correctly, Barnett injured himself early on in the fight. As far as Bigfoot, no... He is not a top guy in my eyes.. Cormier needs to prove himself alot more before he can even think about a Title shot.. let alone a title shot in a different division.
7/24/13 12:09 PM
cdnz0mbieopc
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaleSonnen - 
cdnz0mbieopc - 
i remember halloween - 

He didn't knock out Barnett for one.. and if I remember correctly, Barnett injured himself early on in the fight. As far as Bigfoot, no... He is not a top guy in my eyes.. Cormier needs to prove himself alot more before he can even think about a Title shot.. let alone a title shot in a different division.

He beat Barnett in an awesome fight. Bigfoot just fought for the title AND has wins over Fedor,Overeem, not top level? c'mon son
7/24/13 12:16 PM
i remember halloween

cdnz0mbieopc - 
i remember halloween - 

The last time you could reasonably call Barnett top level was in 2006.  He's 3 biggest wins in the past 7 years include Gilbert Yvel - that's not top level.  I'm anxious to see what he still has left, but he's far from proven in recent history.

7/24/13 12:17 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why should he get a 205 instant title shot with a win over a top 10 HW coming off a loss?

Do not want.

Cut to 205, fight a top 5 LHW, win, see if they offer JJ fight.

And for the record, I'd can't see any way Cormier could beat Jones at LHW with that cut and how insanely dangerous JJ is.
7/24/13 12:33 PM
Silverball
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Why should he get a 205 instant title shot with a win over a top 10 HW coming off a loss?

Do not want.

And for the record, I'd can't see any way Cormier could beat Jones at LHW with that cut and how insanely dangerous JJ is.

Stop it, you're making too much sense.
7/24/13 12:36 PM
MMAMAZ

And dumbass fighter award goes to.... Phone Post
7/24/13 12:38 PM
UGCTT_Song2
568 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sapa - I'm happy to see this or glover for the title. (But not machida) Phone Post 3.0
Hacist Phone Post
7/24/13 12:39 PM
Mix6APlix

Lol at this jackassery. You should have to earn your shot in the weight class. You switch classes, start ftom the bottom, or at least low-middle of the pack. Phone Post
7/24/13 1:48 PM
bruised
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Why should he get a 205 instant title shot with a win over a top 10 HW coming off a loss?

Do not want.

This man here, he gets it. Phone Post 3.0
7/24/13 2:19 PM
JerodR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Cornier but if you want a title shot at 205 then at least have a fight at 205. Complete BS. Phone Post 3.0
7/24/13 2:32 PM
Haulport

Fuck that shit.

If Cormier wins have Jones come to HW and fight Cormier and then fight Cain if he beats Cormier.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.