UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> BIZARRE NATURAL PHENOMENON IN THE PHILIPPINES

7/26/13 6:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crubs
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Snowing in the Philippines first time ever on July 24. Kinda scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxmqIyQ2MQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player Phone Post
7/26/13 7:12 AM
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HAARP
7/26/13 8:06 AM
darren23372
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Global warming....
7/26/13 8:08 AM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake.

http://rp2.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/07/25/13/snow-philippines-fake-says-expert

MANILA (UPDATED) - Don't fall for a fake YouTube video clip supposedly showing snow falling in Mindanao, a weather expert said Thursday.

The "Philippine snow" video clip making rounds online is fake, according to NHK World weather anchor Robert Speta.

Speta said the supposed snow is ashfall taken in 2009 around Christmas during an eruption of Mayon volcano in Albay.

"Ash can sometimes look like snow when it falls," he said in a blog post.

"The Christmas decorations would put it at the right time. Regardless it is not snow and it was not on July 24th," he added, describing the video footage.

He said "Rodsburgh News Live," which uploaded the clip, is a "phantom news agency."

"It's a bogus news station. I was unable to source it back to anything else outside of its YouTube channel where 2 videos are uploaded," he said.

Speta also explained that it would be impossible for snow to fall in Mindanao is in the tropics near the equator.

"There was no reports of snow in the Philippines by any weather stations or temperatures getting below 20C for that matter," he added.

"Just shows how good amateur news graphics are becoming, and to double check every story you hear about," he said.

State weather bureau PAGASA has not reported any recent snowfall in the country.

7/26/13 8:13 AM
TheBBWAssassin
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 

Fake.

http://rp2.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/07/25/13/snow-philippines-fake-says-expert

MANILA (UPDATED) - Don't fall for a fake YouTube video clip supposedly showing snow falling in Mindanao, a weather expert said Thursday.

The "Philippine snow" video clip making rounds online is fake, according to NHK World weather anchor Robert Speta.

Speta said the supposed snow is ashfall taken in 2009 around Christmas during an eruption of Mayon volcano in Albay.

"Ash can sometimes look like snow when it falls," he said in a blog post.

"The Christmas decorations would put it at the right time. Regardless it is not snow and it was not on July 24th," he added, describing the video footage.

He said "Rodsburgh News Live," which uploaded the clip, is a "phantom news agency."

"It's a bogus news station. I was unable to source it back to anything else outside of its YouTube channel where 2 videos are uploaded," he said.

Speta also explained that it would be impossible for snow to fall in Mindanao is in the tropics near the equator.

"There was no reports of snow in the Philippines by any weather stations or temperatures getting below 20C for that matter," he added.

"Just shows how good amateur news graphics are becoming, and to double check every story you hear about," he said.

State weather bureau PAGASA has not reported any recent snowfall in the country.

7/26/13 8:16 AM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why did you respond with the video? lol

7/26/13 8:19 AM
12SixElbow

http://manila.coconuts.co/2013/07/25/you-know-report-snow-southern-philippines-fake-right

7/26/13 8:19 AM
KidPittsburgh
1230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, Ned Stark was right.
7/26/13 8:20 AM
12SixElbow

Why this is a hoax:

1. The Rodsburgh News YT channel has only been up for 3 days.
2. The decor in the background looks Western. (probably somebody's pavilion who had set-up banana trees, when it snowed.)
3. Reporter claims Philippines has a Fall season. Now if I remember my Filipino seasons, there were only wet and dry seasons.

I think who made up this hoax understood our gullibility. It's almost too easy. Aside from things that gave it away, it was brilliant.

7/26/13 8:20 AM
TheBBWAssassin
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 

Why did you respond with the video? lol

Brain fart - I meant to add a comment to say here is the bogus video, but I'd clicked post without thinking.

Then realised that editing the post was just going to be a hassle as often the code doesn't work after an edit.

Stupidity basically?

7/26/13 8:21 AM
TheBBWAssassin

KidPittsburgh - So, Ned Stark was right.

LOL - VTFU.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.