UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jamie Varner reports death in gym

7/26/13 10:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shortkick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very tragic, poor family. RIP Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 10:55 AM
CaliKush
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heartbreaking :( Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 11:04 AM
8flat
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SquishyCheeks - 
Combat Corner - RIP.

I have never seen an AED in any gym I have trained in.

Strange, considering the stress these guys go through during their conditioning. Seems like it would be a basic safety precaution (like smoke detectors or fire extinguishers).

True. Hell a lot of office buildings have them nowadays, lineman carry them in their trucks, etc.

They used to be cost prohibitive, now they're $600.
7/26/13 11:07 AM
8flat
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did a search but it doesn't look like they've set up a fund for him yet. I'm in when they do. Feel terrible for those little kids....
7/26/13 11:10 AM
slo ko
1124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/26/13 11:10 AM

Ugh. Terrible news. RIP.

7/26/13 11:10 AM
TimKennedyTookMyVCard
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tragic loss of young life. I just lost my sister. I feel the most for his young children. They are going to have a hard time understanding and accepting the loss. Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 11:11 AM
steveAKAslick
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gomrad -
UGCTT_Messiah -
palfor03 - Can normal physical exams not pick this up?? Phone Post
You have to get an EKG. Phone Post 3.0
Prayers to his family

Any idea which ailments an EKG could detect that could cause this? Phone Post 3.0
Totally different situation and story, but when I was younger around 21 or 22 we were at a party and just doing the normal drinking thing...a couple of guys were fucking around and decided to put on some boxing gloves and just mess around, wasn't any animosity or anything...I'm in the other room about to pass out on the couch and my girlfriend runs in screaming saying Josh got hit boxing and isn't breathing...we were all drunk and not really trained at all well in CPR or just what to do in general...called the paramedics and tried everything we could do...it's one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen in my life to watch someone turn completely blue and then do what seemed like at the time take deep breaths of air (which we were later told was just his body releasing air)...paramedics administered CPR and shocked him to no avail, but said there was nothing we could have done and that most likely he was dead when he hit the ground...he wasn't even 20 years old...I couldn't close my eyes to sleep for months without seeing his body lying there, so I totally feel for Jamie, it's definitely a fucked up situation...most likely there was nothing they could have done for him at the time Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 11:11 AM
Diesel67
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.  Congenital and can't be picked up in a routine physical or EKG.  I lost a 17-yr-old student and captain of his high school track team that way.

RIP

7/26/13 11:31 AM
swedsteve
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When i can id like to donate somethingg to the fund, in the process of moving so yea. In for later in a way...

my condolences of course. I hope to see more safety in the form of ekg machines or ways for testing for pre-existing conditions. Things like this shouldnt happen. Phone Post
7/26/13 12:08 PM
SC MMA MD
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Routine physical examinations are very poor at finding preventable causes of sudden cardiac death. Adding an ECG in adults may help catch some other causes (some hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, long QT, Brugada syndrome), but sadly there is no screening that can eliminate the risk entirely, and identifying the potential causes that are identifiable before an event happens requires an expert evaluation that is expensive (and will be negative in the vast majority of people) Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 12:17 PM
OLDSKOOL2010
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A good stress test is important and a cool down just is so important and is often ignored.
Hate this happened. Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 12:21 PM
Doc T
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is ridiculously sad. RIP. Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 12:24 PM
beerbelly
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, and I'm literally at the doctor getting my heart and cholesterol checked right now! How old? Phone Post
7/26/13 12:26 PM
lildragonof
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn that's horrible.
RIP man. Phone Post
7/26/13 12:32 PM
The Lurker Below

SquishyCheeks - Do fight gyms not have AEDs?

Awesome question. Sadly I don't even think our gyms have them because at the moment, in our province they are not provided in any way and are generally at arenas and other public places, leaving smaller places to pay out of pocket.

I got CPR recert recently and I'm sure they said they are working on getting them down in price and making them more widely available however, that really means nothing with no time frame available :(
7/26/13 12:34 PM
digthisbigcrux
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tragic indeed...RIP

7/26/13 12:38 PM
Beefy Wellington

Would like to know more about this heart issue. Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 12:39 PM
Chucklesmf
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow that is so sad. RIP, and thoughts and prayers out to the team and his family. Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 12:39 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Jeez that's horrible.
7/26/13 12:49 PM
rockemsockem
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's awful. RIP Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 12:55 PM
Jits_n_Hoez

Damn man, RIP Phone Post
7/26/13 1:16 PM
Tiresias
346 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Phone Post
7/26/13 1:18 PM
Tru
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rip

7/26/13 1:20 PM
Shinsplint
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very sad to hear. Thoughts out to his young family and friends. Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 1:24 PM
al neri
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.