UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Stann: Sonnen causing 'paradigm shift' in MMA

7/26/13 11:24 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1074 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Something Brian Stann realizes is that as the sport of mixed martial arts begings to grow, things will change, and one of those important changes for fighters is that they need to make their own fights more important:

“Jake and Rory is probably the one that is most exciting outside of the main event. You’re seeing a paradigm shift in mixed martial arts in recent years because of what Chael Sonnen’s done and Jake is a pupil of Sonnen. I don’t know if people have realized that with it being behind-the-scenes, but he is,” revealed Stann.

“Fighters are starting to realize that they have to make their fight matter. Boxers have done this for years where they go out and promote to sell their fight and Ellenberger has basically done that. He’s fighting a guy he truly does not like, and he has told him ‘I want to fight you’ and he’s been rewarded with Rory wanting to fight him with major title implications between two guys who are really, really good.”

read entire article...

7/26/13 11:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FoluFam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Merr interesting view on it. True the fighters need to start selling their own fights but most fighters are the quiet type and tend to be sceptical of doing public interviews (like John.M on UFC FOX 8).

If fighters had a simple guide line in some form maybe they would feel more comfortable about it. I don't know, but I do know it's ultimately the fighter who needs A) channels in which they can grow their public speaking skills without much public scrutiny. And B) a guide in which they can follow to ensure they happy/decent interview. Phone Post 3.0
7/26/13 11:54 PM
ThunderDove

If there was a way to be more vocal, but not come across as sounding always like a WWE promo, then this change is good.
Reference someone like Rory having trained in MMA since the beginning, its obvious we're going to see more of this. Still I would expect to always see a trend of fighters who cross train all styles, but not specialize. After many years, the balance will shift back towards fighters who are experts in one discipline. Phone Post
7/26/13 11:58 PM
ThunderDove

Also I have to add that seeing boxers who feel it necessary to get into a shoving match at the weigh-ins or pre-fight press conference, is ridiculously obvious that they are doing it solely because they fear a low number of PPV buys. Phone Post
7/27/13 12:01 AM
CanofPineapple

Fake trash talk certainly doesn't make your fight matter to me, but I'm not retarded. I'm dreaming that one day I can be, but I'm not there yet.
7/27/13 12:07 AM
IIAces

They want to bitch about money, sell your fights. You'll get paid more. MMA fighters have to sell fights. If you don't get your name out there you won't get many opportunities. Phone Post 3.0
7/27/13 12:17 AM
spartancs
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2x FILA World Champion and the 1st amputee pro MMA fighter in Arizona started carying around heads in the likeness of guys who won't take fights with him.

7/27/13 12:18 AM
Augustus Caesar
919 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is definitely true, in the fighting world, people love to see trash talking. 

7/27/13 1:26 AM
Bucephalus

Paradigm shift? That's amusing.

Fighters have been talking shit and selling fights since before Tito and Ken had their little fling.
7/27/13 3:17 AM
Proteus The Invincible

I think it's sad that behaving immaturely is so strongly financially beneficial in the MMA world. It represents the sport and the people involved very poorly. The less trash-talking and other insecure behaviour the better, in my opinion.
7/27/13 4:44 AM
frontrowbrian

Stann... kayfabe. Don't break it.
7/27/13 5:30 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only cool when two gorilla heavyweights do it. When Lesnar was frothing from the mouth was a whoa jesus holy shit who wants to fight this dude moment. Phone Post 3.0
7/27/13 5:59 AM
MT11

JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick - Only cool when two gorilla heavyweights do it. When Lesnar was frothing from the mouth was a whoa jesus holy shit who wants to fight this dude moment. Phone Post 3.0
That was some scary shit Phone Post 3.0
7/27/13 6:23 AM
pheonix5
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael took it to a whole new level though. He got 2 title shots when there were others in line before him and made a lot of money for himself, the UFC and his opponents. Now we're seeing it more often. Aside from Chael though, the best was Diaz/GSP. From him calling out GSP  to the epic conference call, that shit was gold.

7/27/13 6:41 AM
Damaynevent

I think having back stories in fights are a good thing. If talking shit helps that back story the more interesting the fight becomes. Having said that, I'm all for quality matchups, respecting your opponent and all that other martial artist shit, but watching to high level guys that genuinely don't like each makes it that much more interesting. Phone Post 3.0
7/27/13 6:44 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People just love the trash talk. I guess i am a reluctant one as well because for me there is nothing better then to see a person who trash-talks a lot to get viciously punished for it.
For me,personally,the brilliance of Sonnen was/is that even though he trash-talks so much i am still very much rooting for it. It is more of a vaudeville act with him then anything else (with others not so much...i really hope Rory smashes Jake).

But yes i guess there is sort of a paradigm shift in the sense that even the dudes who used to be humble as fuck are now running there mouths as well. Sort of sad but true,but it is hard to deny that people get more emotionally invested in it all (i mean at least half of all the PPV viewer of Floyd want to see him lose right?).
7/27/13 6:54 AM
JosselEmin

Its kind of sad for me, I used to be proud whenever I talked to my friends ( WWE and BOXING fans) with pride about how in MMA u really mean it but I can't do it anymore thanks to Fael and his followers.

IMO they're taking the pride and honor from this game to sell out a fight that most ppl now how is gonna end. Phone Post
7/27/13 7:27 AM
Ktaco
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sonnen has done an amazing job of branding himself. Love or hate him, one has to appreciate the fact that he grew himself from a relatively unknown fighter to who he is today. He has cemented his future with the UFC in one way or another. I see him staying onboard as a broadcaster for a long time and the UFC may even pay him to "coach" fighters on advertising themselves.
7/27/13 8:39 AM
Bucephalus

pheonix5 - 

Chael took it to a whole new level though. He got 2 title shots when there were others in line before him and made a lot of money for himself, the UFC and his opponents. Now we're seeing it more often. Aside from Chael though, the best was Diaz/GSP. From him calling out GSP  to the epic conference call, that shit was gold.

Chael took it to a whole new level? Sorry.. but he doesn't come close to surpassing Ken Shamrock in the hype and bullshit department.

Ken was a washed up, aging, former UFC fighter who was able to get THREE main event matches against Tito Ortiz.. including a championship title shot after a 6 year layoff from the octagon... and he still managed to set a PPV buy rate record that was FOUR TIMES larger than any previous Zuffa event.

Even after getting brutally TKO'd he still managed to get multiple rematches.. only to get TKO'd each time. He was the prototype of marketing hype.. with more than a decade of prowrestling experience to draw upon... And all of this was years before Sonnen ever stepped foot in the octagon.

The only thing Sonnen is good at is twitter wars and broadcast witticisms. But to say that he represents a "paradigm shift" or that he took it to a "whole new level" is ludicrous. The only thing I will give him is his command of the English language. He makes Shamrock sound like an eighth grade dropout.
7/27/13 9:37 AM
XcessiveZ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rambo John J - Ellenburger probably beats Chael
That is ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0
7/27/13 10:27 AM
ThunderDove

Feuds require months, more like years, of "bad blood" to draw from. These newer feuds are so scripted it is hard to get excited about them supposedly being real.

The paradigm will shift back eventually, and one day quotes as subtle as Chuck Liddell simply stating, "I'm gonna knock him out", will make us fans drool with excitement. Phone Post
7/27/13 10:41 AM
pheonix5
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucephalus - 
pheonix5 - 

Chael took it to a whole new level? Sorry.. but he doesn't come close to surpassing Ken Shamrock in the hype and bullshit department.

Ken was a washed up, aging, former UFC fighter who was able to get THREE main event matches against Tito Ortiz.. including a championship title shot after a 6 year layoff from the octagon... and he still managed to set a PPV buy rate record that was FOUR TIMES larger than any previous Zuffa event.

Even after getting brutally TKO'd he still managed to get multiple rematches.. only to get TKO'd each time. He was the prototype of marketing hype.. with more than a decade of prowrestling experience to draw upon... And all of this was years before Sonnen ever stepped foot in the octagon.

The only thing Sonnen is good at is twitter wars and broadcast witticisms. But to say that he represents a "paradigm shift" or that he took it to a "whole new level" is ludicrous. The only thing I will give him is his command of the English language. He makes Shamrock sound like an eighth grade dropout.

Good point. Although he did insult an entire nation and their way of life. Not to mention that he'd slap Anderson's wife on the ass while she cooked him a steak medium rare.

7/27/13 10:42 AM
epwar
658 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Stann a noob?  

7/27/13 11:12 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 07/27/13 11:16 AM

Chael can thank his mouth/persona for atleast 2/3rds of the money he's earned in MMA.  Schtick can be a multiplier of your skills, talent, and accomplishments in MMA.

7/27/13 11:16 AM
hubris
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ paradigm shift

where the hell did Stann learn that?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.