UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> FEAR Acronym

5/18/03 6:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mykhendrix
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-May-03

Hi Tony and PDR Team, Can you please tell me if it was you guys that originated the FEAR Acronym, False Evidence Appearing Real ? This link suggests it was Zig Ziglar. http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=16 Just Curious, Mike
5/18/03 10:47 PM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
To be honest, I dont know its original origin...I started using it in 1987-8 it was used u=in our Cerebral Self-Defense seminar. DId we coin it? Likely not, Im sure some SPARTAN general said somethign similar. ANd subsequently, Ive seen it in other books over the years and in many arenas (sales, business, sports, psychololgy and all from different authors). Obviously, within the martial community our company definetly made it popular.. The one you cite though is a secondary term from the 'Cycle of Behavior' block on Fear Management. The main acronym we use is False Expectations Apprearing Real.... and we also use, Failure Expected/Action Required. TOny
5/18/03 11:32 PM
mykhendrix

Coach Blauer, Thanks for the reponse, was just checking more than anything else.. There's plenty of fun to be had there anyway. Frightening Encounter Aggressive Reaction ? Fierce Energy Acting Responsibly ? How about Foolish Enquiry Appears Ridiculous ? Do you have any advice for a student who might have lost their desire to workout/train in a martial art ? I am referring specifically to someone who used to be scared of their own shadow but has gained some measure of confidence and released/overcome/understands how to manage some "fear issues" as a result of research into the subject and training experiences. Is there a time to put down the sword and "walk on" ? I ask because I think the MA's have a lot to offer someone long term, not just a regular workout. Do you bother trying to convince someone to stick around ? My initial guess would be that I should show them what's possible and what it's done for me, and they can decide for themselves. Any thoughts ? Sorry if i'm not being very clear. Mike
5/19/03 8:59 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 19-May-03
Mike youre being very clear...going for a run, will reply later with my thoughts. TOny
5/19/03 8:16 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 19-May-03
I vaguely recall Mr. Blauer citing the original source in one of his tapes. It was a pop psych author but I don't think it was Zig Ziglar. Huh. A search engine should put this to rest quickly.
5/21/03 9:19 AM
FullBlastJKD

Edited: 21-May-03
Hello again Tony, Bryan Smith checking in after a long hiatus from posting on forums LOL You said in your "Cerebral Self Defense" audio tape that you found that particular version of the acronym in a book written by Dennis Waitely (sp). Anyway, hope all is well with you Tony, currently I am overseas on a 'temporary' assignment and have been 'temporarily' here since the first of December LOL! I am still planning on attending a PDR course in the near future! Take care!
5/21/03 11:27 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 21-May-03
Good to hear from you Bryan and thanks from remembering where the acronym is from, I always cite the source of the motation/inspiration even if its evolves and grows into another field. :-) Stay safe, next PDR is in October! TOny
5/23/03 1:14 PM
ironmongoose

Edited: 23-May-03
That's right, "The Psychology of Winning" I think. It's good stuff!
5/27/03 12:42 AM
mykhendrix

Edited: 27-May-03
Coach Blauer, I know you're a busy man... "...going for a run, will reply later with my thoughts. " TTT ? mike
5/27/03 1:09 AM
Tony Blauer

Now that was a run...whew! 8 days, Mike, I need to rest, will reply soon :-) TOny
5/27/03 1:12 AM
Tony Blauer

Seriously Mike, I was called away out of town at the last minute, just got back yesterday and have been hanging with the kids and catching up some...hand in there. Tony
6/13/03 10:44 AM
mykhendrix

Edited: 13-Jun-03
Do you have any advice for a student who might have lost their desire to workout/train in a martial art ? I am referring specifically to someone who used to be scared of their own shadow but has gained some measure of confidence and released/overcome/understands how to manage some "fear issues" as a result of research into the subject and training experiences. Is there a time to put down the sword and "walk on" ? I ask because I think the MA's have a lot to offer someone long term, not just a regular workout. Do you bother trying to convince someone to stick around ? My initial guess would be that I should show them what's possible and what it's done for me, and they can decide for themselves. Any thoughts ? Sorry if i'm not being very clear.
6/13/03 12:30 PM
taroson

Edited: 13-Jun-03
Mike, I think there are really only a few who will stay 'on the path' for years and years. Who really knows what makes someone feel that they have had enough? This is something that needs to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. In some cases, the student has just had enough. Great. Just let him/her know that you are there if they ever need further training or a refresher course. Sometimes the student is really just frustrated and needs more individual attention. Perhaps there is an issue with fear or maybe it's just a money issue. Whatever the case, use the opportunity to become a better teacher. Define the problem, resolve it if possible and if not, learn from the experience and move on. Personally, I can’t see how anyone could be ‘done’ with the system. There are many levels, physically, intellectually and philosophically, covered in the PDR Manual and in the BTCMS System. One of the most amazing aspects of what Tony has created is the idea of making F.E.A.R. your Spiritual Guide. Putting this concept into action gives you your own personal roadmap to continuous self-improvement. You will as Tony says, "Expand as a human being." If Know Fear, you have the exact direction to take and if you follow the formulas Tony has carefully laid out, understanding "Capacity VS Potential" and "Performance Enhancement" psychology you have a step-by-step, personalized "recipe for success". The most important thing, I think, is to commit to your self to face your own fears and move beyond them in increments you can handle. Students will come and go according to their own agenda, but the smart one’s will recognize what you are doing and realize that this process is much more than poking someone in the eye. Just my 2 cents. Take Care, Mike Suyematsu/PDR Coach

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.