UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC was doomed when...

7/29/13 11:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheHawker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...Dana White became more famous and recognizable than any of the fighters.

Any time the promoter becomes a bigger story than the promotion, the promotion is doomed. He might keep it going a while longer with TV deals and what not, but once he's burned through all of the available target demographic and there are no more newbies to entice with the novelty of "cage-fighting", the UFC brand will begin sinking into bolivian.

Once that happens, hopefully a more savvy company will resurrect MMA and put someone in charge who realizes that the promoter should be behind the scenes, not upstaging fighters like a white, bald, potty-mouthed Don King. At least Don King gave us some of the greatest boxing matches of all time. What has Dana White given us besides $65 PPV snooze-fests and a crappy reality TV show?
7/29/13 11:18 PM
Vote Ups for Zimmerman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/29/13 11:18 PM

Don King isn't a fake tough guy either.

7/29/13 11:26 PM
TheHawker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King was a real G who didn't need to make up shit about his past. Dana White has to resort to stories about Whitey Bulger trying to extort his boxercise club.
7/29/13 11:33 PM
Phillysliced

Didn't read but I'm pretty sure the UFC is doing pretty well these days Phone Post 3.0
7/29/13 11:33 PM
OneSidedWar

You should kiss Danas feet for allowing you to watch the sport you love...you whiney little emo....jus sayin... Now apologize & move on. Phone Post
7/29/13 11:43 PM
TheHawker

OneSidedWar -  You should kiss Danas feet for allowing you to watch the sport you love...you whiney little emo....jus sayin... Now apologize & move on. Phone Post

I don't love this "sport". I loved it when it wasn't a "sport". Being a sport is what has ruined it.
7/29/13 11:43 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

:) Phone Post 3.0
7/29/13 11:51 PM
D241
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC isn't "Ultimate" for me unless GSP is facing Anderson or Anderson is facing Jon Jones or Jon Jones is facing Cain Velasquez.

I want to know who the baddest man is without the debate, I like to just see them fight, that's all.

7/30/13 12:08 AM
PrettyBoy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don King beat a man to death in broad daylight in the middle of the street over a few hundred dollars. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 12:16 AM
tenchu
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana isn't bigger than the fighters. He's a great promoter and championing the sport. I appreciate him being so accessible to the fans and the media. Of course that makes him so popular, especially since he's been with the company in this role for so long (unlike a typical fighter's career lifespan).

The crappy reality show is still going on, in multiple countries and soon to debut in China. Other combat sports wish their version became just as popular.
7/30/13 12:36 AM
Traktor

OP knows whats up, MMA has already peaked. All the main draws have retired or have lost their star power. GSP is probably the only draw the UFC has right now, a far cry from few years ago. People watched MMA because the guys actually fought, now its dry hump or risk getting cut.
7/30/13 12:40 AM
Vaginal Tear
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just look at P Diddy. He got bigger than the artists and now he barely makes records. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 1:02 AM
Koga

"...the promoter should be behind the scenes, not upstaging fighters like a white, bald, potty-mouthed Don King."

Don King has ruled boxing for what, 30 years? About the worst example you could find to make a point that DFW's character and visibility will harm the UFC.
7/30/13 1:11 AM
TheHawker

King hypes his fights, he doesn't try overshadow them or talk shit about his fighters to the media. Granted he is larger than life, but he's entertaining and not an annoying, false tough guy blowhard. Everything he does is geared toward creating maximum interest in the fights.

Dana, on the other hand, just likes to wax tough and hear himself talk. For him, promoting the fights is secondary to his need for self-aggrandizement.
7/30/13 2:27 AM
daba

tenchu - Dana isn't bigger than the fighters. He's a great promoter and championing the sport. I appreciate him being so accessible to the fans and the media. Of course that makes him so popular, especially since he's been with the company in this role for so long (unlike a typical fighter's career lifespan).

The crappy reality show is still going on, in multiple countries and soon to debut in China. Other combat sports wish their version became just as popular.
Yes he is. He's more recognized than any of the fighters. It's absurd and bad for the sport. Should David Stern be more recognizable than Lebron James? Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 2:43 AM
ausgepicht

Yes, it's so doomed. It should file for bankruptcy any day now.

7/30/13 3:07 AM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought you vowed to leave the UG and never come back. Phone Post
7/30/13 6:28 AM
Bootsy Collins
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHawker - ...Dana White became more famous and recognizable than any of the fighters.

Any time the promoter becomes a bigger story than the promotion, the promotion is doomed. He might keep it going a while longer with TV deals and what not, but once he's burned through all of the available target demographic and there are no more newbies to entice with the novelty of "cage-fighting", the UFC brand will begin sinking into bolivian.

Once that happens, hopefully a more savvy company will resurrect MMA and put someone in charge who realizes that the promoter should be behind the scenes, not upstaging fighters like a white, bald, potty-mouthed Don King. At least Don King gave us some of the greatest boxing matches of all time. What has Dana White given us besides $65 PPV snooze-fests and a crappy reality TV show?

'Any time the promoter becomes a bigger story than the promotion, the promotion is doomed.'

Can I have a list of all the times this happened?
7/30/13 7:04 AM
Chimp Strength
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh look, another MMA hipster thread. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 9:19 AM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

Twelvers hav superior genetics -
ausgepicht - 

Yes, it's so doomed. It should file for bankruptcy any day now.

I absolutely love how you always bring up people's join dates to insult them for their lack of knowledge! I too hope one day one of my comments will be retarded enough for you to qoute my join date too!

That's a vote up for you sir!
This. 98% of his responses to a debate = join date. Sad. Phone Post
7/30/13 9:56 AM
SonOfThePeepHole

I trane ufc Phone Post
7/30/13 9:59 AM
Tilla

OP is correct.

Remember when the UFC really pushed GSP, Chuck, Randy, Tito, Hughes etc? They don't do that anymore.

If Dana took a back seat like Coker did in SF and pushed the fighters, the UFC would be BANGING!
7/30/13 10:41 AM
TheHawker

Bootsy Collins - 
TheHawker - ...Dana White became more famous and recognizable than any of the fighters.

'Any time the promoter becomes a bigger story than the promotion, the promotion is doomed.'

Puff Daddy and Bad Boy Records. Can you name a post-Biggie Bad Boy artist's last hit?

Master P and No Limit.

Drew Rosenhaus.

My secretary is researching more examples, I'll post them when she is done.

7/30/13 11:09 AM
Bootsy Collins
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHawker - 
Bootsy Collins - 

Puff Daddy and Bad Boy Records. Can you name a post-Biggie Bad Boy artist's last hit?

Master P and No Limit.

Drew Rosenhaus.

My secretary is researching more examples, I'll post them when she is done.

If she could provide some examples more sports-related and less ethnic music-related she can go home early today :)
7/30/13 11:16 AM
UGCTT_AndersonKnowsHowToNap
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Though I agree that Dana is more recognizable than most if not all of the fighters, I think they're gonna be ok. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.