UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: Media can't create beef with Rory

7/30/13 5:26 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and top welterweight Rory MacDonald are clearly on a collision course, and clearly say they are not.

"I won't fight Georges," said MacDonald following his win over Jake Ellenberger at UFC on Fox 8. "We're teammates and friends. I've been asked that many times. We'll come to an alternative idea when we get to that point."

GSP is equally adamant.

"Rory and I are friends, I don't know what to say. I'm friends with Rory you know?" said Rush during a UFC media tour stop in Las Vegas. "We text, we call each other, we're friends."

And St-Pierre is too media savvy to get caught into the kind of verbal misunderstanding that sparked off the fight between former teammates Rashad Evans and Jon Jones. When asked "what if Rory MacDonald changes his mind and says he'll fight you?" 'Rush' won't bite.

"This is that hypothetical world, the reporters you guys want a story to make a conflict happening between me and Rory," parried St-Pierre. "It's not going to happen. Rory and I are tight, we're friends. There's many ways of doing this.

"Maybe I might go up, maybe he might go up, there's many other options. I have plans for my career. I cannot tell you everything, guys. There are other things. I don't want to fight Rory."

White has said repeatedly that it is GSP who is playing the media, and that the reality is plain for all to see.

"If you don't think (MacDonald) wants to fight Georges St-Pierre, if you don't think he wants a shot at that 170-pound title, and if you don't think he wants to be the world champion and make the kind of money that Georges St-Pierre makes, you're crazy, my friend."

"I... guarantee you that in no way, shape or form does Georges St-Pierre think that Rory MacDonald doesn't want to fight him."

The question won't really matter until after Georges fights No. 1 contender Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 on Nov 16, but what do you think UG? Does Rory really want to fight Georges? And goes George know it?

Transcription via B/R

7/30/13 8:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HarryPalms
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope they don't fight, it wouldn't be more than a glorified sparring match. They would exchange jabs for 25 minutes.

What a thrill that would be.

7/30/13 8:01 AM
Stea1th
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I rather see Rory fight condit or Diaz Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 8:53 AM
Hikikomori
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tristar aint pulling that Jackson shit. I don't think GSP cared for how Greg handled Jones and Rashad.

But rumor has it GSP doesn't train with Rory at all. Phone Post
7/30/13 8:54 AM
Officer Farva
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like I've hear all this before.

7/30/13 8:55 AM
fob
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They had a PACT!!!

7/30/13 9:27 AM
snobordr
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori -  Tristar aint pulling that Jackson shit. I don't think GSP cared for how Greg handled Jones and Rashad.

You got a sauce for that rumor?  Other UG threads have said that they do.

7/30/13 9:29 AM
ranier wolfcastle
1022 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well if gsp stole rorys favorite outfit, they might have some beef

7/30/13 9:40 AM
Hikikomori
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

snobordr -
Hikikomori -  Tristar aint pulling that Jackson shit. I don't think GSP cared for how Greg handled Jones and Rashad.

I got it from an interview Rory did for Fox 8. May have been Ariel or someone else. The way the question was phrased it may have just been for this camp. Phone Post
7/30/13 9:41 AM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

snobordr - 

Rory pre-fight said they almost didnt trained together at all for this one. He said it was because of different time-schedules, but me thinks GSP/Tristar is not taking any chances and basically getting them used to having "2 different teams".
7/30/13 10:13 AM
CH

Stea1th - I rather see Rory fight condit or Diaz Phone Post 3.0

Both of these fights would be great

Diaz first then Condit

7/30/13 10:20 AM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When did Dana ever say that Rory told him behind closed doors that he will fight GSP? Pretty sure he said when Rory sees GSP's bank account he'll change his mind and that the fight will happen.

7/30/13 10:33 AM
kevsh
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many times can these guys say it, they are not fighting each other. No matter what Dana or the fans want (or want to believe), it's not happening, ever.
7/30/13 11:20 AM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - Who wants to watch them spar for 5 rounds as a main event to a PPV? Sure as hell not me.
Kind of agree, i dont.see either guy going.for.the.kill. Phone Post
7/30/13 11:51 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

luctaro -
snobordr - 

Rory pre-fight said they almost didnt trained together at all for this one. He said it was because of different time-schedules, but me thinks GSP/Tristar is not taking any chances and basically getting them used to having "2 different teams".
Or tht gsp was filming for captain america 2 in los angeles... You know.. That. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 12:59 PM
Foos
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Russell - 

When did Dana ever say that Rory told him behind closed doors that he will fight GSP? Pretty sure he said when Rory sees GSP's bank account he'll change his mind and that the fight will happen.

I can't remember exactly where Dana was saying it, but Dana was saying something like "Rory is in GSP's house (gym), of course Rory isn't going to say he wants to fight GSP publicly. Behind closed doors Rory has expressed he wants to be the champ"

Dana might have said this as the post-fight scrum.

It looked like typical Dana White bullshit. Dana has no credibility when it comes to this type of stuff.

I'm pretty sure Rory will never fight GSP. Rory has said probably a hundred times now that he won't fight GSP.
7/30/13 1:29 PM
bjws
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't really understand why friends would want to fight. Sure, Rory would like to be the champ and make "GSP money". But you have to also consider that if they really are friends, that having a friend in GSP is probably worth a lot itself.

I'm sure Rory knows that GSP will soon vacate the title and move to MW or possibly just do some superfights before his career is over. Now that Rory has taken out Jake, GSP really only has one legitimate test left in Hendricks anyways, so his end at ww seems eminent. I suppose 3 more fights and he'll he in the lead with most title defences which I have to assume is a goal of his.
7/30/13 2:01 PM
McNutt
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Officer Farva -

Seems like I've hear all this before.

Thank you. Phone Post
7/30/13 2:09 PM
Stephen Holder

GSP is shook. I dont see why though, he wont have to fight Rory, Hendricks might though at some point.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.