UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC Tipping Point. When Did it Fall Off

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
7/30/13 1:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bobby Lupo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was it Brock's stomach AIDS turning the biggest star into a gimp?

The introduction on the 'who cares' divisions of 135 and 125 to take up space so they can sell a watered down PPV every few weeks.

Bogus title fights involving guys coming off multiple losses gettting a title shot

The bad attempt at being WWE

Dana promoting himself as the biggest star

The Tito-Dana TV boxing 'special'

Cautious St. Pierre

UFC failing to create stars out of fighters, instead letting guy be bland or WWE.

Other?

7/30/13 1:57 PM
Johan Von Brügermëister
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's when shitty fans like you post winey bullshit on the Internet Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 2:34 PM
Bobby Lupo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johan Von Brügermëister - I think it's when shitty fans like you post winey bullshit on the Internet Phone Post 3.0
They feed you shit and you like it. I've been buying ppv since the 90s the sport is losing steam, why? Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 2:36 PM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It became more and more of a sport and less and less of a spectacle. For better or worse. Better in my opinion.
7/30/13 2:40 PM
Chris27

Bobby Lupo - 
Johan Von Brügermëister - I think it's when shitty fans like you post winey bullshit on the Internet Phone Post 3.0
They feed you shit and you like it. I've been buying ppv since the 90s the sport is losing steam, why? Phone Post 3.0

Because no sport can only grow, all sports hit a peak where it cant get any bigger and then it levels off or drops off a bit.  Doesnt mean it cant climb back up or be successful or profitable which the UFC is.

MMA grew and grew and grew and then in 09-10 hit its peak and has fall back a bit. 

7/30/13 2:50 PM
Pat Giles

Bad attempt at wwe. Can't believe all these fixed fights

Op is an idiot btw Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 2:52 PM
rbl
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't really mind either way but maybe if they played up the martial arts angle and eased off on the HERE'S SOME FUCKIN EXTREME SHIT BRO they might widen their appeal. They still promote it like it's a monster truck rally or an AC/DC tribute band.

The fights are pretty good though, the skill level is higher than its ever been. They just need some more variety, bring in some chechen wrestlers or something. I have a feeling the UFC think a shaggy bearded guy with an unpronouceable name bashing his way to a title and thanking Allah would be bad for business, but it might actually be great.

7/30/13 2:54 PM
Tilla

In!
7/30/13 2:54 PM
HELWIG

It lost its essence when the Fertittas allowed Dana to use the UFC as a vehicle to play "choose your own adventure" and present himself as the biggest start.

It lost any credibility as a serious, merit-based sport, when they made a pro wrestler coming off a submission loss and dec win over a non-ranked opponent the challenger for the HW title.

And it gave up it's ghost when the media and fans watched them openly admit and not even try and justify placing Chael Sonnen into a main event title fight at 205, a division he washed out of years ago after being submitted for the 3rd consecutive time by Jeremy Horn and then Babalu.

"Well we need Bones to headline every NJ show so it doesnt matter who he faces."

7/30/13 2:55 PM
CaliKush
364 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's gaining steam, just not with the original fans Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 2:57 PM
ArtMinaj

Many of the above.  The watered down cards and Dana promoting himself to stroke his fragile ego are their two biggest problems...

7/30/13 2:58 PM
Kick Boxe
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaliKush - It's gaining steam, just not with the original fans Phone Post 3.0
Did you watch the last fox card? No one was there Phone Post
7/30/13 3:02 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Couture dancing in that club was a savage blow to MMA's credibility. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 3:03 PM
Silverball
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaliKush - It's gaining steam, just not with the original fans Phone Post 3.0

Source?
7/30/13 3:13 PM
Tiresias
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outlaw'd by Lytle - Couture dancing in that club was a savage blow to MMA's credibility. Phone Post 3.0
Yup. And his scarves. Phone Post
7/30/13 3:16 PM
thatcpjguy

Agreed. Rather talk and hear about current fighters vs prime fedor than continue to hear all these bitchy complaints from armchair business men who want to tell the UFC how to run their business.

These armchair businessmen should've signed on to help affliction. Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 3:21 PM
thatcpjguy

CaliKush - It's gaining steam, just not with the original fans Phone Post 3.0
I think you're right. It's bringing in huge business here in Vegas. The expo was the biggest I've seen in the 4 years I lived here. Before, the fighters could walk around untouched and this time they were covered with fans every where they went. The 3 fight cards I've been to had a very diverse crowd with lots of internationals.

Sport is definitely healthy Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 3:25 PM
genDAV
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the cancellation of 151, which was Zuffa's fault, not any single fighter on their own
7/30/13 3:38 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 07/30/13 3:46 PM

It was moving off of spike and so far failing to recreate what Zuffa had on that platform... is what happened.

The numbers came back to a point once tuf and fight nights moved to better slots but the shoulder programming still doesnt have the kind of exposure it used to.

FS1 solves this in my opinion.  let's talk at the end of 2014.  If Zuffa is able to recreate on fs1 what they had on spike then it's tits and buttermilk moving forward... if zuffa cant, then might as well smell pussy farts all day because it wont be pleasant.

7/30/13 3:41 PM
Dougie
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rbl - 

I don't really mind either way but maybe if they played up the martial arts angle and eased off on the HERE'S SOME FUCKIN EXTREME SHIT BRO they might widen their appeal. They still promote it like it's a monster truck rally or an AC/DC tribute band.

The fights are pretty good though, the skill level is higher than its ever been. They just need some more variety, bring in some chechen wrestlers or something. I have a feeling the UFC think a shaggy bearded guy with an unpronouceable name bashing his way to a title and thanking Allah would be bad for business, but it might actually be great.

This thread has lots of ideas. I hope Zuffa is listening.
7/30/13 3:43 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana on the cover of the first UFC magazine throwing a punch

7/30/13 3:53 PM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC just needs to sign MANHOEF and have him open every Fox card. Problem solved.

7/30/13 4:07 PM
CaliKush
364 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverball -
CaliKush - It's gaining steam, just not with the original fans Phone Post 3.0

Source?
Ufc expanding events world wide... Phone Post 3.0
7/30/13 4:09 PM
Tilla

HELWIG Just owned this thread.
7/30/13 4:29 PM
Galanis
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - Dana on the cover of the first UFC magazine throwing a punch

I remember seeing that at the grocery store when it first came out in summer 09. I literally could not believe that was chosen as the cover, especially considering it was promoting UFC 100. Terrible

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.