UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does Josh Gross deserve his credentials back?

8/1/13 9:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're right. People should hold onto grudges for decades+ over reality TV shows that have no effect on the quality of an individual's life. It makes perfect sense now. How could I have been so blind?

8/1/13 9:23 AM
UGCTT_AndersonKnowsHowToNap
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - How is this poll 50/50? He absolutely deserves his credentials back. There are very few members of the MMA media who have an actual sense of the sports history and were covering MMA during pivotal moments over the past 13 years like Gross. Loretta Hunt should be credentialed too.

Dana has done a great job painting Josh Gross as a villain but in my opinion he is still one if the best journalists covering the sport. People who weren't even watching MMA at the time will just follow Dana's word though, which is why this poll is 50/50. Phone Post 3.0
Definitely this IMO. So what? It happened how long ago now? Meanwhile I bet Paul Daley will be back for the Manchester card. If Josh was any sort of financial asset to the UFC he would have been back ears ago. But because he does not turn a profit for Zuffa he will be blackballed forever. Phone Post 3.0
8/1/13 11:31 AM
Brian J DSouza

Is that a rhetorical question, or did that happen to you while you were watching "The Bachlorette"? Also, did Josh Gross reveal the winner of "The Bachlorette" and how did that make you feel if he did that?

8/1/13 12:23 PM
knuckleballs

I remember Dana was fucking pissed off when he read Gross' open letter to the UFC after Sherk and Franca both got popped for roids after they headlined a PPV main-event. In it Gross told the UFC that they had to reel this shit in and clean up the promotion, and Dana said in interviews that Gross surly will never get his credentials back, fuck him, blah, blah, blah. It didn't change the fact that what Gross was saying was completely true; if PEDs gets out of hand in the biggest promotion, MMA will lose it's integrity and fans will tune out. This was a classic case of Dana wanting to kill the messenger.

When you watch the first UFC DVDs, in the special features you can hear Josh Gross give really good historical analysis about the fights. Gross is very good at what he does, and it's very amateurish to try to blackball one the most important MMA journalists. The multi-billion dollar company that is the UFC should be able to handle occasional criticism from professional journalists, which - most times - is warranted, constructive criticism.
8/1/13 2:38 PM
Team GDP
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

knuckleballs - I remember Dana was fucking pissed off when he read Gross' open letter to the UFC after Sherk and Franca both got popped for roids after they headlined a PPV main-event. In it Gross told the UFC that they had to reel this shit in and clean up the promotion, and Dana said in interviews that Gross surly will never get his credentials back, fuck him, blah, blah, blah. It didn't change the fact that what Gross was saying was completely true; if PEDs gets out of hand in the biggest promotion, MMA will lose it's integrity and fans will tune out. This was a classic case of Dana wanting to kill the messenger.

When you watch the first UFC DVDs, in the special features you can hear Josh Gross give really good historical analysis about the fights. Gross is very good at what he does, and it's very amateurish to try to blackball one the most important MMA journalists. The multi-billion dollar company that is the UFC should be able to handle occasional criticism from professional journalists, which - most times - is warranted, constructive criticism.

great post. dana's response to that ped thing was so childish

8/1/13 2:44 PM
grafzep
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP - 
BuddyRevell - 

I'm surprised ESPN hasn't dumped him for someone with more access.

i think it's testament to josh's skills that espn keeps him despite 0 access

more like the lack of skill of any other mma "journalist"
8/1/13 2:45 PM
Dirty Harold
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck off Josh
8/1/13 3:00 PM
Golden Boy
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gross is aces. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a noob whose opinion doesn't matter.
8/1/13 3:04 PM
Col Angus
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gross/BLAF thing has always been funny to me.
8/1/13 3:26 PM
liukangstoupee

Fuck Josh Gross, I would welcome Paul Daley back before Gross ever gets credentials.

Besides spoiling TUF, He's had plenty run in like the Matt Lindland episode with Loretta Hunt. The guy aims for self-sensationalism for his own gratification, not sports coverage.

Give the guy back his media pass and he will start writing BS like How Karo Parisyan deserves a title shot, or how Loretta Hunt deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Irrelevancy is where he belongs, not ESPN. If he get cut by espn, nobody will cry about it either.
8/1/13 3:28 PM
Brian J DSouza

knuckleballs - I remember Dana was fucking pissed off when he read Gross' open letter to the UFC after Sherk and Franca both got popped for roids after they headlined a PPV main-event. In it Gross told the UFC that they had to reel this shit in and clean up the promotion, and Dana said in interviews that Gross surly will never get his credentials back, fuck him, blah, blah, blah. It didn't change the fact that what Gross was saying was completely true; if PEDs gets out of hand in the biggest promotion, MMA will lose it's integrity and fans will tune out. This was a classic case of Dana wanting to kill the messenger.

Good points. Unfortunately, media criticism might lead to the UFC losing its stranglehold over fighters and MMA as a whole. Right now the monoply seems to work in the UFC's favor.

I feel PRIDE & Strikeforce helped increase UFC PPV buyrates and viewership via synergy. Having real journalists would also do the same.

Trouble is, some are too fearful of losing control to find out. The status quo lives on.

8/1/13 3:43 PM
Pro Ice
1911 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the best / most knowledgable journalists in the sport

8/1/13 3:52 PM
Size

Brian J DSouza - 

For the people here saying that Gross should be barred from events-- why are you saying this? What specific harm has Gross done to MMA, besides promote/cover it at every opportunity for the biggest outlets (SI/ESPN/Sherdog) available?

Spoken like a typical press apologist, talking about a guy trying to make the most of his journalism career as if it's some kind of favor to those he covers.

I just don't like Gross's attitude, and there's nothing special about his work.
8/1/13 3:56 PM
Lux Fixxins

His "reporting" has gotta be better than the shit heads at Cagepotato and whatever lazy the savages shitty website is. Phone Post 3.0
8/1/13 4:00 PM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 08/01/13 4:23 PM

Last time I checked, there was shoddy journalism coming in from ALL outlets, be they MMA media, mainstream, podcasts, blogs or major newspapers.

Look at the SI talk about Anderson-Weidman being fixed. Those journalists are allowed at UFC fights and would never be banned.

All MMA personalities have critics. Everyone here can name at least ten MMA journos that they hate or who have idiotic opinions about the sport. That shouldn't factor into this debate, which is about fairness and access.

8/1/13 4:05 PM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 08/01/13 4:04 PM
Size - Spoken like a typical press apologist, talking about a guy trying to make the most of his journalism career as if it's some kind of favor to those he covers.

I just don't like Gross's attitude, and there's nothing special about his work.

All I'm saying is that Gross did the UFC a favor by covering MMA and not the other way around. Gross covered the sport BEFORE there was decent money to be made covering MMA.

Maybe you don't like his work, but his work isn't what's on trial here-- his right to have access to events and fighters to interview is.

8/1/13 4:06 PM
Clarence Parents
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Gross does an honest job.. he reports MMA news.. not just the news that promoters would like to be reported.

It's hard for me to fault him going public with the scoop he got on that season of TUF.. if he didn't release the news someone else would have. I personally wouldn't have done it myself but I'm also not a journalist.

I think enough time has passed that Gross should be able to get his credentials back..

8/1/13 4:31 PM
da Vinci 81
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe the original ban had to do with a beef between the UFC and the sherdog website (or specifically Jeff Sherwood). Basically sherdog were selling tapes of the ufc events for them back in the dark days. When the UFC took off they wanted to charge more and sherdog balked.

Here's an article that goes into it a little
more:

http://www.cagepotato.com/dana-white-never-forgets-espns-josh-gross-cbs-sports-loretta-hunt-and-sherdogs-jeff-sherwood-denied-media-credentials-for-strikeforce-diaz-vs-daley/ Phone Post 3.0
8/1/13 4:38 PM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - How is this poll 50/50? He absolutely deserves his credentials back. There are very few members of the MMA media who have an actual sense of the sports history and were covering MMA during pivotal moments over the past 13 years like Gross. Loretta Hunt should be credentialed too.

Dana has done a great job painting Josh Gross as a villain but in my opinion he is still one if the best journalists covering the sport. People who weren't even watching MMA at the time will just follow Dana's word though, which is why this poll is 50/50. Phone Post 3.0

Great post.

The radio show with him and TJ was great.
8/1/13 5:32 PM
Il Duce
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Banning him is ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0
8/1/13 5:35 PM
Devlin
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

robnashville -
Stephen Holder - Is this the Sherdog guy who went on his radio show n told the world that the first season TUF finalists were Griffin n Bonnar a day before the first ep aired? I cant remember now.

no it was the comeback season.... the one that was won by Serra and Lutter... the reasoning being that title shots were given away and that constituted being news that should be reported....

i heard that even after that, that Dana actually brought Gross in and wanted him to be the main writer for UFC.com, that Josh turned him down, and i think thomas gerbasi ended up with the gig.... i think dana banning him had to do more with Dana not being able to control/own him
yea, no way do the ufc forgive that, atupid move. Phone Post
8/1/13 5:36 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes he does because he can be a really good journalist. He has a habit of being angsty though, which is annoying and can effect his work sometimes. Phone Post
8/1/13 5:57 PM
BigTedBear
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always liked Josh his podcast and writing have been insightful and his sherdog show was a good listen. However we all know Dana ain't going to forgive Josh the TUF and fighter pay articles were only the tip of that iceberg. Phone Post
8/1/13 5:59 PM
Brian J DSouza

Wow, still 50-50. Guess we should give DFW/UFC propaganda more credit for effectiveness. You can fool some of the people all of the time.

8/1/13 6:17 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian J DSouza -

Wow, still 50-50. Guess we should give DFW/UFC propaganda more credit for effectiveness. You can fool some of the people all of the time.

Yes. Josh has done nothing himself to garner any haters. It has all been the UFC. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.