UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does Josh Gross deserve his credentials back?

8/1/13 6:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Thacommish
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_EnderTL - 
Brian J DSouza -

Wow, still 50-50. Guess we should give DFW/UFC propaganda more credit for effectiveness. You can fool some of the people all of the time.

Yes. Josh has done nothing himself to garner any haters. It has all been the UFC. Phone Post

i can understand hating the guy, but to have or wish his credentials be taken away? for what?
8/1/13 6:28 PM
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So because you hate someone's writing/opinion/reporting/personality, they should be barred from UFC events?

Once again, I can name dozens of MMA personalities who have many more haters than Josh Gross.

Is rubbish reporting the criteria for being barred from UFC events as media? Or is the criteria more about not being a sycophant?

You tell me, I'm curious.

8/1/13 7:55 PM
irahayes
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is Dana "Scorched Earth " White we're talking about right? Phone Post 3.0
8/1/13 8:21 PM
liukangstoupee

Brian J DSouza - 

So because you hate someone's writing/opinion/reporting/personality, they should be barred from UFC events?

Once again, I can name dozens of MMA personalities who have many more haters than Josh Gross.

Is rubbish reporting the criteria for being barred from UFC events as media? Or is the criteria more about not being a sycophant?

Be honest, he has done plenty of damage to warrant Dana's evil stare. Don't try to sell the fact that he didn't provoke his ban.

Besides he can still buy a ticket to the event, He just doesn't get designated media access. Quite frankly, he hasn't broken any major stories in years. These days he just posts his bile on his blog. If he want to resort to doing opinion sensationalism, ask Kid Nate for a job at bloody elbow.

Yes, he has a history of covering the sport in the dark ages, but there are journalists that have that job now. He burned his Zuffa bridges and Franklin McNeal is now doing his job(albeit very poorly). These days, he's still good or jumping on his soap box and giving his 2 cents. He should be that thankful.
8/1/13 10:35 PM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liukangstoupee - 
Brian J DSouza - 

Be honest, he has done plenty of damage to warrant Dana's evil stare. Don't try to sell the fact that he didn't provoke his ban.

Besides he can still buy a ticket to the event, He just doesn't get designated media access. Quite frankly, he hasn't broken any major stories in years. These days he just posts his bile on his blog. If he want to resort to doing opinion sensationalism, ask Kid Nate for a job at bloody elbow.

Yes, he has a history of covering the sport in the dark ages, but there are journalists that have that job now. He burned his Zuffa bridges and Franklin McNeal is now doing his job(albeit very poorly). These days, he's still good or jumping on his soap box and giving his 2 cents. He should be that thankful.

what good is buying a ticket to an event for a journalist? you could do almost the same job by watching on PPV. the access to the fighters is the key for media members. 

what exactly has he done to 'warrent Dana's evil stare'? so because dana doesn't like him, you think thats a legitimate reason for him to be banned? 

8/2/13 8:13 AM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 08/02/13 8:14 AM

liukangstoupee -

Just remember-- you're saying others are doing a poor job, but are they banned from press row?

8/2/13 8:42 AM
Kneeblock
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RicGillespie - Fuck that douche bag for ruining a season of TUF. He did it out of spite and every MMA site had equally large douche bags posting his spoilers just for the fuck of it.

He didn't ruin anything. Any journalist who came into possession of that info would've run that story and no one had to click the spoilers if they didn't want to.

Josh is a cool and very smart guy and has basically been punished for not genuflecting before Zuffa once they finally started to turn a profit. He was my editor for awhile and was super professional and absolutely loves MMA.

It sucks he's on the outside, but at least he's able to say what he wants. It's funny he talks about turning down the UFC.com job since it went to his protege Tom Gerbasi.

8/2/13 9:24 AM
RKing85
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

without question he should get them back. He is way more acomplished and works for a way bigger site than a lot of guys that do get credentialed.

And it sucks that just about every season of TUF has had the finalists leaked, yet people only remember Josh leaking that one season.
8/2/13 10:35 AM
UGCTT_EnderTL
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thacommish -
UGCTT_EnderTL - 
Brian J DSouza -

Wow, still 50-50. Guess we should give DFW/UFC propaganda more credit for effectiveness. You can fool some of the people all of the time.

Yes. Josh has done nothing himself to garner any haters. It has all been the UFC. Phone Post

i can understand hating the guy, but to have or wish his credentials be taken away? for what?
If you read my previous post you can see I say he should get them back. Phone Post
8/2/13 10:59 AM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 08/02/13 11:02 AM

His open letter might not have been the most political move. Nor were the statements he gave in the Matt Lindland documentary "Fighting Politics." But when no reporters do anything but adhere to the status quo, what kind of reporting will we end up getting?

The other issue, and this is the real reason everyone needs to defend Gross, is that if Gross gets banned, then any reporter can be banned for arbitrary reasons. This isn't so much about him as it is about the health of MMA overall.

8/2/13 11:54 AM
purist
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Schopenhauer - He ruined that season of TUF for tons of viewers. That faggot pig should never receive his credentials back. This is like a store owner allowing a stranger that has stolen an extreme amount from the store to continue to shop at the store.

Dana is in the right. Phone Post 3.0

No he didn't did you even listen to the show in question?

If you did, which you obviously didn't, you'd know he warned people he was about to give away the finalists and if they didn't want to hear they should skip the next 30 seconds.

I know, because I heard the show, skipped the 30 seconds and didn't have the season spoiled.
8/2/13 12:34 PM
AnakinHelwani
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keeping Josh out is an easy way for Dana to keep MMA journalists in line. Small price to pay.

8/2/13 1:10 PM
Brian J DSouza

AnakinHelwani - 

Keeping Josh out is an easy way for Dana to keep MMA journalists in line. Small price to pay.

Agree.

8/2/13 2:23 PM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For bellatorfan

What im saying is they are way more accessible at designated media events compared to hotel lobbies Phone Post
8/2/13 2:34 PM
liukangstoupee

Team GDP - 
liukangstoupee - 
Brian J DSouza - 

what good is buying a ticket to an event for a journalist? you could do almost the same job by watching on PPV. the access to the fighters is the key for media members. 

what exactly has he done to 'warrent Dana's evil stare'? so because dana doesn't like him, you think thats a legitimate reason for him to be banned? 

If you bite the hand that feeds, you think you won't get slapped? Besides Josh Gross has resorted to doing mostly commentary, The guy doesn't break big news.

Josh Gross has a history of irritating the Zuffa brass. Between TUF spoilers, the Matt Lindland fiasco,for countless many more he has been trying to start more fires than cover actual stories.

Is it fair to Josh Gross? Nope. Does it work for Zuffa? Definitely.

8/2/13 2:42 PM
liukangstoupee

Brian J DSouza - 

His open letter might not have been the most political move. Nor were the statements he gave in the Matt Lindland documentary "Fighting Politics." But when no reporters do anything but adhere to the status quo, what kind of reporting will we end up getting?

The other issue, and this is the real reason everyone needs to defend Gross, is that if Gross gets banned, then any reporter can be banned for arbitrary reasons. This isn't so much about him as it is about the health of MMA overall.

Sports coverage overall is always been a partnership between the parent organization and the press media. Josh Gross has violated that relationship with Zuffa, and that is why he spends his times blogging instead of attending events.

You think if a member of the media starts spreading locker room gossip that they will be welcomed? What will happen is that his editor will give him a pink slip for being irresponsible. Josh Gross was just lucky his shat his bed before he went to Espn.
8/2/13 4:14 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I seem to be getting a bunch of VDs from my comments in this thread. I could really care less about the number but I'm curious as to what I have said that has offended someone so much. And why are they too shy to comment about it?

Don't be scared homie. Fess up and save some face. I'll even vote you up. Phone Post
8/2/13 5:04 PM
pegson123

No Phone Post
8/2/13 5:29 PM
liukangstoupee

UGCTT_EnderTL -  I seem to be getting a bunch of VDs from my comments in this thread. I could really care less about the number but I'm curious as to what I have said that has offended someone so much. And why are they too shy to comment about it?

Don't be scared homie. Fess up and save some face. I'll even vote you up. Phone Post

People actually care about their votes? Besides this thread has hardly been hostile.

Anyways, I save my vote downs for UKTT whenever one of them needs a vacation.
8/2/13 5:52 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL

liukangstoupee -
UGCTT_EnderTL -  I seem to be getting a bunch of VDs from my comments in this thread. I could really care less about the number but I'm curious as to what I have said that has offended someone so much. And why are they too shy to comment about it?

People actually care about their votes? Besides this thread has hardly been hostile.

Anyways, I save my vote downs for UKTT whenever one of them needs a vacation.
Like I said, it's not about the number. But I think it's relevant knowing who cares and why.

Did they not understand my point?

Do they strongly disagree?

Was it Josh?

Was it dfw?

Since I wasn't being ornery I can only guess. Phone Post
8/2/13 7:28 PM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 08/02/13 7:29 PM
liukangstoupee - Josh Gross has violated that relationship with Zuffa, and that is why he spends his times blogging instead of attending events.

How did he "violate" Dana White/the UFC? What "locker room gossip" are you attributing to Gross?

Last time I checked, Gross had the best job in this business, outside of the television analysts.

8/2/13 7:40 PM
RicGillespie

Kneeblock - 
RicGillespie - Fuck that douche bag for ruining a season of TUF. He did it out of spite and every MMA site had equally large douche bags posting his spoilers just for the fuck of it.

He didn't ruin anything. Any journalist who came into possession of that info would've run that story and no one had to click the spoilers if they didn't want to.

Josh is a cool and very smart guy and has basically been punished for not genuflecting before Zuffa once they finally started to turn a profit. He was my editor for awhile and was super professional and absolutely loves MMA.

It sucks he's on the outside, but at least he's able to say what he wants. It's funny he talks about turning down the UFC.com job since it went to his protege Tom Gerbasi.

He's had info on finalists for every TUF because they always get leaked but he choose to leak that one to make a point. Everyone already knows the finalists for the Bellator reality season but do you see him leaking those? Of course not....

And your point about not "clicking" spoilers doesn't hold water. If you were participating on message boards then, you would know that people were just randomly putting the info in posts just to troll people. Out of spite... Like what Gross did. So clicking or not, people got exposed to the info and it literally ruined the season for a lot of people.
8/2/13 8:10 PM
liukangstoupee

Brian J DSouza - 
liukangstoupee - Josh Gross has violated that relationship with Zuffa, and that is why he spends his times blogging instead of attending events.

How did he "violate" Dana White/the UFC? What "locker room gossip" are you attributing to Gross?

Last time I checked, Gross had the best job in this business, outside of the television analysts.

So putting out spoilers without permission is ok? or Implying that being successful and boring (like Matt Lindland) will get you shit canned. Josh Gross has a history to stirring up a shit storm for Dana. Like you should be surprise when he doesn't get media credentials.

BTW Josh Gross hardly have the best job in the Business. He doesn't have his media credentials, and he blogs for ESPN. I dunno about you, I rather have Franklin McNeal's job. At least he have credentials and a spot on MMA live.
8/2/13 9:02 PM
Brian J DSouza

Edited: 08/02/13 9:02 PM

The best move for Gross is to not even have this conversation (not that he's talking right now beyond that Twitter post). Keep it on the DL like Sherdog did, and bank on the kindness of DFW when PPV buyrates hit an all-time low in a few months/years.

Criticizing Zuffa is doing no one a favor, as anyone in the know understands.

8/3/13 3:00 PM
Team GDP

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.