UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does Josh Gross deserve his credentials back?

8/3/13 6:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe Zuffa will change ownership and then things will change? Until then, its DFW's way or the highway.

8/3/13 7:02 PM
JCON
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who was the journalist on sherdog that predicted every ufc fight for an event wrong? I want to say it was around ufc 60 or 70 Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 7:20 PM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While Gross might be good for MMA,
He is not a friend to Zuffa. Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 7:39 PM
Rickson's Aura
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Gross is a legit MMA journalist and one of a select few. Not surprised Dana and his lemmings on this site hate him. The TUF spoilers came from other places as well. For TUF 2, I remember fight sport posted each match and the end result on it's site. Dana is a child. He's happy as long as he has flunkies like Ariel Helwani, Franklin McNeil, etc around him.
8/3/13 7:41 PM
Josh Gross
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey everyone, thanks for your thoughts.

I don't visit the UG so often but I always remember my email/password combo. Gotta love that.

Must say, it's an intense experience reading the posts of people who seem to have passionate feelings about me and my situation with UFC. Good and bad alike, thanks. Not all of it was fun to read and some of it was straight hate, but I also saw criticisms I can do something about.

Enjoy the fights tonight. I continue to no matter where I'm watching, which is mostly from my couch. Nothing's like cage-side, I gotta say. Maybe a UFC some day. I know enough to never say never.

While I'm here, may as well ask you to check out ESPN's coverage of the card tonight: http://espn.go.com/mma/

- JG
8/3/13 7:51 PM
SilvaWho?OnlyBoTrulyKnows
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Gross - Hey everyone, thanks for your thoughts.

I don't visit the UG so often but I always remember my email/password combo. Gotta love that.

Must say, it's an intense experience reading the posts of people who seem to have passionate feelings about me and my situation with UFC. Good and bad alike, thanks. Not all of it was fun to read and some of it was straight hate, but I also saw criticisms I can do something about.

Enjoy the fights tonight. I continue to no matter where I'm watching, which is mostly from my couch. Nothing's like cage-side, I gotta say. Maybe a UFC some day. I know enough to never say never.

While I'm here, may as well ask you to check out ESPN's coverage of the card tonight: http://espn.go.com/mma/

- JG

Give this man credentials, Dana White. Come on, son.

8/3/13 7:53 PM
SilvaWho?OnlyBoTrulyKnows
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PS - Which way did you vote, Josh?
8/3/13 10:41 PM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's some pretty fucking epic lurking. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 9:31 AM
Brian J DSouza

Why so quiet in here all of a sudden? Was there a "Bachlorette" marathon on TV or something?

8/5/13 9:42 AM
caposa
1558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If there was ever a thread to display how UFC fans blindly follow Dana White's opinion, this is it. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 4:39 PM
notsobigmike
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm always shocked at how people hold it against him about the TUF spoilers.

It's his JOB as a journalist to find these things out and report them. You're talking about the next person getting a title shot with a UFC superstar.

Remember the hype around the first season of Survivor? You think if ANY news organization found out who the winner was ahead of time they wouldn't have reported it?

It isn't the job of the news media to protect the interests of the subjects they report on. If anything, the UFC should have gone apeshit on whoever leaked the information in the first place, not whoever reported it.

His two biggest beefs with the UFC (the spoilers and the PED open-letter) were totally legitimate journalistic moves. In fact, his PED letter has proven to be prescient as the UFC has been moving towards EXACTLY what he said they should have been doing - cleaning house from the inside. More independent testing, and company-based consequences that go beyond what the athletic commissions mandate.
8/5/13 4:50 PM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike - I'm always shocked at how people hold it against him about the TUF spoilers.

It's his JOB as a journalist to find these things out and report them. You're talking about the next person getting a title shot with a UFC superstar.

Remember the hype around the first season of Survivor? You think if ANY news organization found out who the winner was ahead of time they wouldn't have reported it?

It isn't the job of the news media to protect the interests of the subjects they report on. If anything, the UFC should have gone apeshit on whoever leaked the information in the first place, not whoever reported it.

His two biggest beefs with the UFC (the spoilers and the PED open-letter) were totally legitimate journalistic moves. In fact, his PED letter has proven to be prescient as the UFC has been moving towards EXACTLY what he said they should have been doing - cleaning house from the inside. More independent testing, and company-based consequences that go beyond what the athletic commissions mandate.

Good post.

I bet the majority of the folks that voted no just know him for those two things and have never read any of his articles or seen his fighter interviews.
8/5/13 4:54 PM
Team GDP
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike - I'm always shocked at how people hold it against him about the TUF spoilers.

good post vtfu

8/5/13 4:54 PM
Team GDP
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - If there was ever a thread to display how UFC fans blindly follow Dana White's opinion, this is it. Phone Post 3.0

agreed. i am actually a little surprised at the results

8/5/13 5:06 PM
IIAces

Team GDP -
TuLegit - Can someone give a better backstory on what happened here? Phone Post 3.0

http://www.cagepotato.com/dana-white-never-forgets-espns-josh-gross-cbs-sports-loretta-hunt-and-sherdogs-jeff-sherwood-denied-media-credentials-for-strikeforce-diaz-vs-daley/

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/11/15/1815216/josh-gross-to-espn-dana-whites-least-favorite-reporter-joins-sports

Thank you Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 5:30 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

- JG

You handled the comments well. Can't say that for a lot of the journalists around here, including some in this thread.

You probably don't feel like hanging around a community that hates on you so much, but a lot of us here would enjoy your input on certain subjects in a more discussion based environment. It may help you clarify the intent of a lot of your stories too. I think a lot of backlash you get is from people making assumptions about your agenda.

8/28/13 10:10 PM
MMA Playwright

8/28/13 10:31 PM
UGCTT_granite007
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy just likes to stir up drama more than talk about fights. So, nah, I don't care if he does.

8/29/13 12:46 AM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free Josh Gross!
8/29/13 1:01 AM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NO. Josh is a snotty, snarky writer and has no significance today. The sport has passed him by.
8/29/13 2:34 AM
Ray Cappa

Why is Joah Gross a douche? Because he's a real journalist and not a company shill like Ariela? Phone Post 3.0
8/29/13 3:04 AM
Thacommish
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

- JG

Come back to sherdog radio more! how about that for constructive criticism. More roundtables at the least
8/29/13 3:04 AM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Nothing against him or anything but I really don't care. That whole tuf thing is reason enough to be Barred for life but to be honest espn sucks pretty bad so I can't support anything from them. He's a solid writer. Phone Post
8/29/13 3:05 AM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Also screw people who don't like Ariel. He asks tough questions and people don't like it. Fighters don't like it. But he does it. He's not perfect but Ariel does a good job. Phone Post
8/29/13 3:11 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
notsobigmike - I'm always shocked at how people hold it against him about the TUF spoilers.

They have every right to bar him from their events. It's not their job to let him report their events. They can do what they want why do people think just because you are a good journalist or good writer you get access? You don't. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.