UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does Josh Gross deserve his credentials back?

8/29/13 3:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Thacommish
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - 
notsobigmike - I'm always shocked at how people hold it against him about the TUF spoilers.

It's his JOB as a journalist to find these things out and report them. You're talking about the next person getting a title shot with a UFC superstar.

Remember the hype around the first season of Survivor? You think if ANY news organization found out who the winner was ahead of time they wouldn't have reported it?

It isn't the job of the news media to protect the interests of the subjects they report on. If anything, the UFC should have gone apeshit on whoever leaked the information in the first place, not whoever reported it.

His two biggest beefs with the UFC (the spoilers and the PED open-letter) were totally legitimate journalistic moves. In fact, his PED letter has proven to be prescient as the UFC has been moving towards EXACTLY what he said they should have been doing - cleaning house from the inside. More independent testing, and company-based consequences that go beyond what the athletic commissions mandate.
They have every right to bar him from their events. It's not their job to let him report their events. They can do what they want why do people think just because you are a good journalist or good writer you get access? You don't. Phone Post

isnt this the same reason you just defended ariel?
"Also screw people who don't like Ariel. He asks tough questions and people don't like it. Fighters don't like it. But he does it."
8/29/13 3:18 AM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Thacommish -
caseharts - 
notsobigmike - I'm always shocked at how people hold it against him about the TUF spoilers.

It's his JOB as a journalist to find these things out and report them. You're talking about the next person getting a title shot with a UFC superstar.

Remember the hype around the first season of Survivor? You think if ANY news organization found out who the winner was ahead of time they wouldn't have reported it?

It isn't the job of the news media to protect the interests of the subjects they report on. If anything, the UFC should have gone apeshit on whoever leaked the information in the first place, not whoever reported it.

His two biggest beefs with the UFC (the spoilers and the PED open-letter) were totally legitimate journalistic moves. In fact, his PED letter has proven to be prescient as the UFC has been moving towards EXACTLY what he said they should have been doing - cleaning house from the inside. More independent testing, and company-based consequences that go beyond what the athletic commissions mandate.
They have every right to bar him from their events. It's not their job to let him report their events. They can do what they want why do people think just because you are a good journalist or good writer you get access? You don't. Phone Post

isnt this the same reason you just defended ariel?
"Also screw people who don't like Ariel. He asks tough questions and people don't like it. Fighters don't like it. But he does it."
He isn't leaking info like that is he? I think gross is good but I don't see a problem barring someone because of that leak. Phone Post
8/29/13 3:20 AM
Thacommish
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

except its the ufc that doesnt like josh gross, and not ariel. so you feel that is different? the tough questions should be asked regardless its not just the fighters that should be subject to that.
8/29/13 3:21 AM
Thacommish

whats with the leak was he contractually obliged to keep said information secret? if not he should be free to report it. If not ufc should pursue legal repercussions otherwise it shouldnt be any concern to you.
8/29/13 3:24 AM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Thacommish - except its the ufc that doesnt like josh gross, and not ariel. so you feel that is different? the tough questions should be asked regardless its not just the fighters that should be subject to that.
Dana gets asked tough questions. What are you talking about? Have you seen post fight scrums? Phone Post
8/29/13 3:26 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Thacommish - whats with the leak was he contractually obliged to keep said information secret? if not he should be free to report it. If not ufc should pursue legal repercussions otherwise it shouldnt be any concern to you.
I think ethically it was wrong to do so. You don't have to agree with me. I think it was a dick move.

Don't give me the 'if he didn't someone else would' well that shows the standards of journalism.

I'm all about transparency but that's not something I agree with. Phone Post
8/29/13 3:29 AM
Thacommish

caseharts - 
Thacommish - whats with the leak was he contractually obliged to keep said information secret? if not he should be free to report it. If not ufc should pursue legal repercussions otherwise it shouldnt be any concern to you.
I think ethically it was wrong to do so. You don't have to agree with me. I think it was a dick move.

Don't give me the 'if he didn't someone else would' well that shows the standards of journalism.

Ethically it should be wrong for ariel to ask some of the tough questions he does to fighters. but he does. not for me to say but its for me to choose to engage or not engage, i do not think his credentials should be pulled.
8/29/13 3:30 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Thacommish -
caseharts - 

Ethically it should be wrong for ariel to ask some of the tough questions he does to fighters. but he does. not for me to say but its for me to choose to engage or not engage, i do not think his credentials should be pulled.
Name one time he asked an unethical question. Phone Post
8/29/13 3:53 AM
Thacommish

thats for me to chose id ask you what gross did unethically and you would say the tuf releasing but at the same time we dont agree to those same ethics so what does it prove? the only difference is i dont wish ariels credentials be pulled for it.
8/29/13 3:54 AM
Thacommish

also bob sapp interview. Straight up. Bob sapp interview.
8/29/13 3:59 AM
Thacommish

I dont think it warrants* ariels credentials to be pulled not wishes the credentials to be pulled. but really i dont feel the media is crossing any lines, asking any sort of questions that shouldnt be asked, and that includes gross reporting what he did. I dont agree with the stuff ariel asks some fighters like in the case of sapp, but i dont feel it warrants any sort of banning from anywhere. If anything i think ufc should restructure tuf and gain better control over the results and situation, which i think they have done since then. But banning gross had nothing to do with it otherwise they wouldve pursued legal recourse.
8/29/13 4:03 AM
Thacommish

they also banned sherdog, unbanned them, then banned them again. Which should indicate it is not the reason for anything. Their inconsistency alone is enough to raise a red flag to even the most aloof as in your case.
8/29/13 4:48 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Thacommish - also bob sapp interview. Straight up. Bob sapp interview.
What was unethical about that interview? Bobb sapp is embarrassing the sport. I see the financial reasons behind it though Ariel handled that way better than you're giving him credit for Phone Post
8/29/13 5:04 AM
Thacommish

caseharts - 
Thacommish - also bob sapp interview. Straight up. Bob sapp interview.
What was unethical about that interview? Bobb sapp is embarrassing the sport. I see the financial reasons behind it though Ariel handled that way better than you're giving him credit for Phone Post

At one point of that interview it became clear sapp was not answering the way ariel wanted and the interview became an attempt to ridicule sapp which i do not feel was ariels place. As i said though i dont feel its any reason to have credentials pulled i just feel it crossed a line in my mind, however i never feel it crossed a line to the point you feel about gross. But at the end of the day this is apples and oranges asking questions and stating truths are 2 different things, would you ever be mad at ariel for reporting the truth when ufc didnt want him to? i feel thats the issue with gross. This is ignoring the inconsistent nature of the ufc credential banning/unbanning/ and banning again.
8/29/13 5:08 AM
Thacommish

there is a line media can cross, when they became too much of a joke to let into the media room fuck yeah toss them out, some brazil media member tries blowing an airhorn before and after every question, make him stop or toss him. If anyone is making a mockery of the sport fuck yeah toss them out, but if you mad someone reported actual information regarding a title shot, Unless he broke a contractual agreement with zuffa, wtf ? why? its not a matter of ethics, if anything reporting the truth would be the most ethical thing in his position
8/29/13 5:09 AM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Are you kidding me? Sapp was deflecting on the fact he has been clearly throwing fights. There was nothing unethical about that he deserved aby ridicule he got abd Ariel came at him as good as anyone could. Don't sit there and act like bob sapp didn't deserve way more than Ariel even gave him. Ariel simply tried to get him to admit it even though he was doing so with weird wording and deflecting to his showman personality and just blabbing. It was sad how he was acting. I think ariel handled that ridiculousness well. Phone Post
8/29/13 5:27 AM
Thacommish

caseharts -  Are you kidding me? Sapp was deflecting on the fact he has been clearly throwing fights. There was nothing unethical about that he deserved aby ridicule he got abd Ariel came at him as good as anyone could. Don't sit there and act like bob sapp didn't deserve way more than Ariel even gave him. Ariel simply tried to get him to admit it even though he was doing so with weird wording and deflecting to his showman personality and just blabbing. It was sad how he was acting. I think ariel handled that ridiculousness well. Phone Post

He explained his unwillingness to take head trauma, and that was not enough apparently. Why was it ariel or your place to decide that? Why does he deserve to be publicly ridiculed by ariel over his unhappiness with the answer he was getting? how is that fucking right for someone in his position? oh yeah cause its not a ufc fighter, it doesnt effect his position with the ufc, and there wont be real repercussions because its bob sapp. At the end of the day hard reporting is only OK if it doesnt implicate the ufc. At the end of the day both are truths, both are being reported.
8/29/13 5:32 AM
Thacommish

I am arguing for the right for BOTH of these people to make reports btw ariel and gross, i dont agree with all of what ariel has done, and you dont agree with what gross has done regarding the tuf results, im just trying to show you there is a middle road where you can say this and not feel having credentials pulled is justified, especially for some bogus ehtical argument over zuffas feelings, hope you understand
8/29/13 5:37 AM
Thacommish

Edited: 08/29/13 5:37 AM
fkedit
8/29/13 5:38 AM
Team GDP
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ariel attacking bob sapp was ridiculous. the guy finally gets tough on the easiest target possible

8/29/13 5:46 AM
Macedawgg
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP - 

ariel attacking bob sapp was ridiculous. the guy finally gets tough on the easiest target possible

This.

Ariel is tough on the most vulnerable targets.

When his own public challenge was answered regarding UFC contracts--which he attempted to challenge Pat Miletich on--Ariel declined to cover at all. 

8/29/13 5:52 AM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP - 

So confronting Diaz, Rampage and Dana is not enough?
8/29/13 6:12 AM
shelikesmeforme
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bop Sapp interview was hilarious. Phone Post
8/29/13 6:31 AM
Team GDP
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lynchman - 
Team GDP - 

So confronting Diaz, Rampage and Dana is not enough?

when did he challenge them? when he asked nick if he didn't like him? 

8/29/13 6:32 AM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crowbar -

Absolutely not.

Dana has conditioned the media to be favorable towards the UFC.We can`t have people like Gross or Hunt that might ruffle some feathers.

Haha!! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.