UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator has a HUGE problem with Askren

7/31/13 9:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the UFC will be more than happy to let him stay there and stink up the airwaves.

7/31/13 9:20 PM
TzTinkle
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was entertained, but yea the average fan can't appreciate anything other than stand and wang.
7/31/13 9:21 PM
Hikikomori
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lies!

askren will sit out and fight for zuffa soon enough.

askrens contract is up right now....
7/31/13 9:23 PM
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TzTinkle - I was entertained, but yea the average fan can't appreciate anything other than stand and wang.

Holy shit!  The elitist "But I know what I'm watching" reply is the first one in the thread.

7/31/13 9:24 PM
Chris Weidened My Sphincter
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TzTinkle - I was entertained, but yea the average fan can't appreciate anything other than stand and wang.
The guy probably has the softest punches of anyone in mma. Phone Post 3.0
discodrew
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol he wouldn't beat anyone in the top ten. Phone Post
robopimp
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was a boring fight, but I don't think Askren is incapable of having an interesting fight. The problem is, he seems to constantly fight guys who have nothing for him, which doesn't exactly make for scintillating TV.
smth416
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar -
TzTinkle - I was entertained, but yea the average fan can't appreciate anything other than stand and wang.

Holy shit!  The elitist "But I know what I'm watching" reply is the first one in the thread.

I don't want to be that guy but I do like watching him work.

Really curious how he'd do versus top guys. Phone Post
7/31/13 9:25 PM
sacredhate
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana white would give Askren the biggest verbal beating of his life.

Dana needs to have a "won via embarassing strategy" award.

if bellator had such a thing Askren would have 2 belts.
7/31/13 9:26 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 

Why is he elitist because he enjoys watching Askren's wrestling/grappling skills?

7/31/13 9:27 PM
epwar

sacredhate - Dana white would give Askren the biggest verbal beating of his life.

Dana needs to have a "won via embarassing strategy" award.

if bellator had such a thing Askren would have 2 belts.

Indeed.  But it would never happen as Dana and Joe Silva will love to leave Ben in Bellator and making viewers suffer.  Brilliant strategy.

7/31/13 9:27 PM
jwistead
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/31/13 9:28 PM
I hate lay and pray, or any stalling tactics for that matter, but I didn't feel like that was lay and pray at all. My only complaint about Askren vs Koreshkov was that it was brutally one-sided.

I actually enjoyed the fight, though... Askren's constant transitioning kept it interesting. I felt like I was at a BJJ class watching the guys that are 1000x better than me, just a real curiosity about what's this guy gonna do next. I can appreciate that's not very entertaining though for the striking-oriented fans.

I look forward to seeing Askren fight again.
7/31/13 9:28 PM
Rantuckjr
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are not entertained by pure dominance and a guy showing his art is so far superior to the other guys art that he is having a CONVERSATION with the ref during the fight then why are you watching?

I get it that it is fun to watch two guys stand and wang or watch a sub expert take the limb of a novice but it is just as fun to watch a guy who excels at his style of fight and put on an absolute clinic.
7/31/13 9:29 PM
Rudi

I loved it. Best wrestler in mma. Phone Post
Silverball
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a fan, but wouldn't mind if he went for a decisive finish every now and then. Phone Post 3.0
robopimp
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
epwar - 

Why is he elitist because he enjoys watching Askren's wrestling/grappling skills?

I think it's the suggestion that if you don't like Askren's style you must only like sloppy slugfests. There's a big difference between an exciting grappling match and a guy just riding his opponent and hitting pitter pat punches for four rounds.

Since the outcome was pretty damn obvious minutes into this fight, I don't see how anyone could consider that match exciting.
7/31/13 9:31 PM
UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

What is most frustrating to me, much like with GSP when he is on the ground, is the obvious openings to attempt submissions. I grasp position before submission, but there is a point where it gets ridiculous. Especially when you know you are so much better than your opponent that IF you miss the sub you can just get right back up and do it again. Phone Post
7/31/13 9:32 PM
sacredhate
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rantuckjr - If you are not entertained by pure dominance and a guy showing his art is so far superior to the other guys art that he is having a CONVERSATION with the ref during the fight then why are you watching?

I get it that it is fun to watch two guys stand and wang or watch a sub expert take the limb of a novice but it is just as fun to watch a guy who excels at his style of fight and put on an absolute clinic.

Askren is a shark thrown in with guppies in the kiddie pool.

yeah, he's good at what he does but it's simply not impressive given the context.

The fact that he like he's a shark in the big bad ocean of the baddest mma motherfuckers ever makes people view his performances in a different light.

Bry Bry

as much as i hate lay and prayers, i enjoy watching Askren..he stays busy and has a weird grappling style, he just needs to fight the right opponents..guys like Damian Maia, Shields, or GSP would be amazing matchups..id be ecstatic to see Askren fight Koscheck..
sacredhate

sorry...he acts like he's a shark...
LEKS

Saw my first askren fight today.

Speechless... Phone Post 3.0
7/31/13 9:33 PM
banging

Askren did this thing, where he did somekind of arm drag from his knees after getting sprawled on - it brought the Russian just close enough for Askren to clinch and easily get the takedown. Very cool and sort of hard to see.
7/31/13 9:39 PM
mandingo1987

The guy is fucking boring and looks like a straight up fag with those curls. Get a hair cut already Phone Post
7/31/13 9:50 PM
MMALOGIC

I think he would love to stay in bellator and fight these nobodies as long as they pay him... in the UFC he wouldnt even beat mike pierce.

7/31/13 9:52 PM
wisdomseeker76
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jwistead - I hate lay and pray, or any stalling tactics for that matter, but I didn't feel like that was lay and pray at all. My only complaint about Askren vs Koreshkov was that it was brutally one-sided.

I actually enjoyed the fight, though... Askren's constant transitioning kept it interesting. I felt like I was at a BJJ class watching the guys that are 1000x better than me, just a real curiosity about what's this guy gonna do next. I can appreciate that's not very entertaining though for the striking-oriented fans.

I look forward to seeing Askren fight again.
I agree with you 100% Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.