UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ben Askren vs these UFC Welterweights

8/3/13 2:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NFABeeJay
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a side note Marcelo Garcia is an absolute wizard! Not a knock to Ben at all but he made him look like a small child and that's crazy. Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 2:37 PM
Beefy Wellington
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12-10 Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 2:53 PM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

Demian Maia would out grapple him
Johnny Hendricks would ko him
Josh Koscheck- close fight But id say kos
Nick Diaz-idk
Carlos Condit- I think askren may win a three rounder on points but he would take more damage for sure
Jake Ellenberger-I'd guess jake puts him out, but I could see askren wearing him down
George St Pierre-lol
Gunnar Nelson- would be a sick fight
Jake Shields-askren outdoes him in the piterest patterist "fight" ever.
Tyron Woodley-askren either gets ko'd or he wins a decision.

So is give him at least a chance in 6 fights Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 2:59 PM
Barnburner

He would be top 5.
8/3/13 3:06 PM
Haulport

There are some very powerful striker/wrestlers in the UFC 170 who would be able to do a good job keeping Ben off of them enough to hurt him so I voted 5-5. I think he would be about as successful as Jake Shields.

8/3/13 3:28 PM
tunaburn
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theres no way he beats maia or gsp. or a lot of those people but especially maia or gsp.
8/3/13 3:35 PM
D241
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't help but think the only thing Ben has worked and maybe improved on, is his submission defense.

Ben isn't the first, and I doubt he's the last, but I have a problem with wrestlers who don't evolve their offense.

Wrestlers who stick to wrestling and try to polish off their game with submission defense don't have a good record of longevity at the very top.

Koscheck, GSP, Hendricks, they didn't earn a title shot by being pure wrestlers. They all EVOLVED their game and all of them added offense. GSP is a little different as he had good stand up before wrestling, but GSP evolved his wrestling bigtime.

Askren is Mark Coleman before Pete Williams. Sooner or later his weakness will be exposed when he can't rely on his wrestling.

8/3/13 5:06 PM
NFABeeJay
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strange Brew -
NFABeeJay - On a side note Marcelo Garcia is an absolute wizard! Not a knock to Ben at all but he made him look like a small child and that's crazy. Phone Post 3.0

Is this on video anywhere?

Earlier in this thread. The video was embedded. Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 5:41 PM
NotSomeTourist
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Koscheck, Nick Diaz and Gunnar are the only ones I can see him beating. I think Kos is mostly done, Nick showed he really has nothing for a wrestler with very good top control, and Gunnar would end up getting decisioned I think in a really boring fight.

8/3/13 8:09 PM
GodSaveTheReem
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How big is askren? He looks like he could cut down to LW if he wanted. If that were the case he would be an absolute terror...
8/5/13 5:07 PM
OGT

MaliceX -
OGT - 
MaliceX -
Aaron Becker - Demian Maia 1-0
Johnny Hendricks 1-1
Josh Koscheck 1 -2
Nick Diaz 2-2
Carlos Condit 2-3
Jake Ellenberger 2-4
George St Pierre 2-5
Gunnar Nelson 3-5
Jake Shields 4-5
Tyron Woodley 5-5

This is exactly how I see it...5-5.
You guys think he beats maia huh? Interesting. Phone Post

Why is that so hard to believe? Maia has already lost to 2 wrestlers.
One was against the MW champ, and the other a MW as well...

Judging by his last 3 fights I'd say maia belongs at WW. Especially after dismantling an Askren-like fighter (who is arguably better.. but not about to start that convo)

I see Askren having the same experience Fitch did, maybe one day we will find out, although I hope not tbh... Much more exciting/better fights out there for Maia. Phone Post
8/7/13 9:57 AM
snobordr
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pidgey - He didnt fight a single wrestler so far.

Hieron is the only one of his wins with half decent wrestling, and Askren barely got past him (controversial split dec. Phone Post 3.0

GSP demolished Hieron, and he hadn't had as many pro-fights as Askren had at that time.

8/7/13 1:14 PM
Haulport

Edited: 08/07/13 1:14 PM
The responses are breaking down like this (since people might have trouble analyzing so many poll choices):

Winning record = 36.69%
.500 Record = 17.74%
Losing record = 45.57%

So 54.43% of the UG thinks Ben would have a .500 or better record over ten specific WW fights.
8/7/13 1:18 PM
D241
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just did a little research since a lot of you seem to be putting credit into Andrey Koreshkov being an olympic gold medalist.

Here are some facts about Andrey Koreshkov

1.He has fought in Bellator at both welterweight and lightweight

2.The gold medal he won was in pankration. It is accepted and acknowledged by Fila as 1 of 12 mixed martial arts. Boxing, Judo, Kickboxing, Sumo, Wushu, wrestling, sambo, jiu jitsu, kempo, karate, muay thai, tai kwon do

Askren's discipline is wrestling. Andrey's discipline is NOT wrestling.

To mention Andrey's gold medal, it can be mentioned as a credential his(Askren)'s opponent has, but it is not an example of an "accomplished wrestler" that Askren has faced.

8/7/13 1:41 PM
Dogman

Arachnoid - 
buddie - Some of you guys are pretty unrealistic. I don't think he'd beat GSP, but he'd have a decent shot at embarrassing anyone else on the list with how dominant his wrestling is.

Fixed...

Some of you guys are pretty unrealistic. I don't think he'd beat GSP, but he'd have a decent shot at embarrassing anyone else on the list with how dominant his stalling is.

Creating scrambles from the top position is NOT stalling!!! You may not enjoy watching him scramble, but he is not stalling!!!
8/7/13 1:54 PM
D241

Still not sold on Askren. How does beating:

Mitchel Harris

Matt Delanoit

Ryan Thomas

Dan Hornbuckle

Lyman Good

Nick Thompson

Jay Heiron

Douglas Lima

Karl Amoussou

Andrey Koreshkov

translate to beating-

Demian Maia

GSP

Josh Koscheck

Johny Hendricks

Nick Diaz

Carlos Condit

Jake Ellenberger

Tyron Woodley

Gunnar Nelson

Jake Shields

????????????????

8/15/13 7:34 PM
D241

I hope this thread helped influence the intrigue of the Fertitta bros/Dana White regarding signing Ben Askren to find out how he compares.....

10/29/13 4:35 PM
D241

ttt

11/14/13 2:58 PM
D241

Anyone think Askren gets someone from this list?

11/14/13 3:08 PM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't be surprised if they threw him in at the deep end. I would be genuinely excited for Askren vs Maia.
11/14/13 3:13 PM
shadysavagecameonmaiaface
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRE - 10-0
Costco sized curses being handed out over here... Phone Post 3.0
11/14/13 4:47 PM
D241

duckhuntgangsta - Great poll Phone Post 3.0

That's what she said

11/14/13 5:01 PM
mmamathwiz
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Purgey - I think Ben finishes 7-3 losing only to GSP, Hendricks and Koscheck. Phone Post 3.0

He would go 7-3 with losses to GSP, Hendricks and Koscheck.
11/14/13 7:22 PM
flemingo
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if he fights gsp how are they gonna both lie on top of each other for 25 minutes
23 days ago
D241

flemingo - if he fights gsp how are they gonna both lie on top of each other for 25 minutes

lol, would make for an interesting fight. 

Would have to give GSP the edge but if Askren could take GSP down for just over 2 1/2 rounds, he could pull off a w.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.