UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What was Spike TV thinking?

8/2/13 10:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On Wednesday Bellator announced a PPV between Rampage and Tito Ortiz and then a day later Ortiz was revealed to the TNA wrestling audience. An interesting choice by Spike TV, and not a smart one according to MMAMania's Matthew Roth:

The announcement makes sense from a business perspective as both Ortiz and Jackson have a real track record on both Pay Per View and television. Ortiz and Chuck Liddell drew a 1,050,000 buy rate for UFC 66, while Jackson's bout with Dan Henderson on Spike TV set the record for highest ratings for MMA in North America with 4.7 million viewers. With Bellator's failure to gain a foothold in the television market, this is their hail mary pass.

If that was the end of the story, it would be fine. Who cares that Jackson and Ortiz are a combined 2-6 in their last eight bouts or that Ortiz is 1-7-1 since UFC 66? It's a 'freak show', but Bellator has the talent in Mo Lawal, Mike Chandler, and Pat Curran to round out the card with some legitimate and intriguing bouts.

The issue is that last night, Tito Ortiz also debuted on TNA Impact Wrestling as the man behind the #August1Warning tweets. He walked down the ramp to face off with Jackson and the rest of the Main Event Mafia. To some this may not seem like a huge deal. To you, I say don't be stupid. Detractors are always looking for reasons to call the legitimacy of MMA into question.

The line between MMA and professional wrestling is already fuzzy. The UFC has followed the WWE's model for years and used it to built itself into a PPV powerhouse. Dana White's personality is very much like Vince McMahon's character you see every Monday night on Raw. The promotion of events and fighters mirrors the WWE's strategy. The two even focus on fan involvement by way of social media interaction.

But the difference is that the two never crossed paths or worked together in a co-promotional capacity.

read entire article...

8/2/13 10:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Song2
740 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only idiots will get confused. Who cares about idiots? Phone Post
8/2/13 10:59 PM
bigironmike79
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let em make some dough and have fun. Haters gonna hate. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/13 11:03 PM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Inb4 liquid fan and bellator rob

Jk fight the good fight Phone Post 3.0
8/2/13 11:17 PM
Swift1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually think it was a smart financial move on Spikes part. Free publicity to the masses will only up the odds that more of the wrestling fans (who buy ppv's) pony up for this snoozefest of a 'fight'. It's all a ploy for buy rate success and you can't fault them for that. That is until you look at the royal Alvarez screwing.

I say boycott Bellator and read up on results/catch replays on YouTube. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/13 11:33 PM
Jeon Sa

Advertising their fighter? What's wrong with that? Shitty blog. Phone Post 3.0
8/2/13 11:39 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

I can careless what Tito and Rampage do to make money,they are grown men and it has zero affect on me.
What is annoying is they way some fans on the UG blast certain fighters for acting to much like a "pro wrestler",yet when bellator cross promotes with TNA they get a enthusiastic standing ovation.
If Sonnen hypes a fight its wwe,when Rampage & Tito join bellator/TNA it's brilliant.
8/2/13 11:44 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

Would we see a bravo UFC thread on the UG if the ufc started cross promoting with the WWE,like the "Bravo Bellator" thread?

8/2/13 11:53 PM
AshBox
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who cares...let them fight win/lose it's a fight and they gots ta get paid Phone Post
8/2/13 11:55 PM
chokeyou

They should let Randy run Bellator. It's pretty clear Bjorn isn't going to get the job done.

!00 events and zero stars?

At some point someone needs state the obvious.
8/2/13 11:56 PM
bigironmike79
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No real coverage of anything bellator on the front page except for negative shit. Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 12:03 AM
MMAzombie

If The UFC when it was small had the chance to get help from an established company, they would of jumped at the chance

The more eyes the better Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 12:05 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bigironmike79 - No real coverage of anything bellator on the front page except for negative shit. Phone Post 3.0

Not one story on Bellator 97 before the event, no discussion thread either

Now we get a "what were they thinking?" negative thread afterwards

Good job UG news!
8/3/13 12:05 AM
used2wrestle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they might have chandler, mo and some other guy to round out the card but who are they going to fight? Did anybody see the betting lines on wednesday's fight? they were absolutely ridiculous. After I saw the lines I didn't even watch the fights, they were clearly lopsided and then look what happened in the actual fights?

I actually dislike watching Askren so much that I bet against him double what I usually bet AND I didn't bother watching the fights so nobody can say he brings in viewers.
8/3/13 12:06 AM
MMAzombie

chokeyou - They should let Randy run Bellator. It's pretty clear Bjorn isn't going to get the job done.

No stars
They made Lombard and he got paid
Eddie will get paid
chandler is next
Askren will get $
Shelmenko is a beast
They got a few real decent fighters over there, I watch every time it's on.. Good fights Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 12:09 AM
MMAzombie

liquidrob -
bigironmike79 - No real coverage of anything bellator on the front page except for negative shit. Phone Post 3.0

Good job UG news!
Kinda think the UG is part owned by the UFC or just scared of the UFC
All they post is UFC and once every 4-5 months Invicta stuff Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 12:48 AM
chokeyou

MMAzombie - 
chokeyou - They should let Randy run Bellator. It's pretty clear Bjorn isn't going to get the job done.

No stars
Eddie will get paid
chandler is next
Askren will get $
Shelmenko is a beast
They got a few real decent fighters over there, I watch every time it's on.. Good fights Phone Post 3.0

Yes NO STARS...

Lombard wasn't a star and got lucky. Prior to the UFC's interest no one outside the die hards knew who he was.

Chandler isn't a star AND THEY HAVE HAD 100 FUCKING EVENTS!!!!! Most people in this (AN MMA FORUM) haven't watched him fight

Decent fighters - yes.

Fun event s to watch - agreed.

Run poorly.. So poorly Spike is bringing in Rampage to fight Tito.

I'm not a loyalist to ZUFFA, but Bellator needs neew leadership.

When does spike realize the current mistakes has wasted millions of dollars?

Pathetic.
8/3/13 12:49 AM
chokeyou

MMAzombie - 
liquidrob -

Good job UG news!
Kinda think the UG is part owned by the UFC or just scared of the UFC
All they post is UFC and once every 4-5 months Invicta stuff Phone Post 3.0

IT'S NOT..

However, i did ask Kirik that same question about 7 years ago.

Believe it or not, the tide (whatever we want to talk about) drives subject matter.
8/3/13 1:01 AM
The Lurker Below

All i have to say is..

It better be a 5 rounder :)
8/3/13 1:09 AM
Nerdface Killah

Lol the ppv is going to be co promoted with tna and the fight will be a work. Phone Post 3.0
8/3/13 1:10 AM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chokeyou - 
MMAzombie - 

No stars
Eddie will get paid
chandler is next
Askren will get $
Shelmenko is a beast

Yes NO STARS...

Lombard wasn't a star and got lucky. Prior to the UFC's interest no one outside the die hards knew who he was.

Chandler isn't a star AND THEY HAVE HAD 100 FUCKING EVENTS!!!!! Most people in this (AN MMA FORUM) haven't watched him fight

Decent fighters - yes.

Fun event s to watch - agreed.

Run poorly.. So poorly Spike is bringing in Rampage to fight Tito.

I'm not a loyalist to ZUFFA, but Bellator needs neew leadership.

When does spike realize the current mistakes has wasted millions of dollars?

Pathetic.

I gotta agree with this. My cable company doesn't offer Spike in HD and it's packaged with a shitty bunch of channels, so I can't add another 10 bucks a month to my bill for one SD channel. I used to watch Bellator, but to be honest, I don't even notice not watching it anymore.

They do have some great fights for sure, but most guys that you see early on in tournaments and on their undercards are barely regional circuit fighters these days.
8/3/13 1:13 AM
ViciousCesar
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems like the only way for Bellator to build stars (or even get hespect) would be to bring in well known fighters (aka: former ufc fighters) and match up with their homegrown prospects. And it seems like it might be heading in that direction.

But at the same time we'll get Dana and the rest of the zuffabots saying that those fighters were washed up anyways and the down playing will go from there.

Sucks for Bellator, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

8/3/13 1:27 AM
MMALOGIC

Swift1 - I actually think it was a smart financial move on Spikes part. Free publicity to the masses will only up the odds that more of the wrestling fans (who buy ppv's) pony up for this snoozefest of a 'fight'. It's all a ploy for buy rate success and you can't fault them for that. That is until you look at the royal Alvarez screwing.

I say boycott Bellator and read up on results/catch replays on YouTube. Phone Post 3.0

They cant even get pro-wrestling fans to buy pro-wrestling ppv's, but now they're gonna get them to buy an irrelevant mma fight?

TNA cant even pull 20k ppv buys.

8/3/13 2:07 AM
krash24

ViciousCesar - It seems like the only way for Bellator to build stars (or even get hespect) would be to bring in well known fighters (aka: former ufc fighters) and match up with their homegrown prospects. And it seems like it might be heading in that direction.

But at the same time we'll get Dana and the rest of the zuffabots saying that those fighters were washed up anyways and the down playing will go from there.

Sucks for Bellator, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

But they aren't matching former UFC fighters with their homegrown prospects. They are matching former UFC fighters with former UFC fighters. Neither of which has EVER fought in Bellator. Washed up or not, Bellator is saying former UFC fighters make a better PPV than Bellator fighters (by making them the headliner). Bad move in my opinion.
8/3/13 5:30 AM
LastMinuteReplacement

Spike TV presents Ortiz vs Rampage three stages of hell.

1. Tables ladders and chairs

2. MMA fight

3. Lumberjack match

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.