UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do MLB/NFL/NBA fans watch every single game?

8/4/13 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LILBROCK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar - 
LILBROCK -
fryingarmbar - 
UFCJudgesRule - I absolutely watch every Ravens game and know what happened to every team in the AFC north and all the other potential playoff teams... NFL is a whole different monster compared to MMA though Phone Post 3.0
Right. You watch every Ravens game in the same way some ppl watch every of ______'s fights and don't have any interest in, say, 125lb fights. Other fans might bag on your choice of team but they don't accuse you of not being a fan because you don't watch exactly what they watch. Phone Post 3.0

Again, you're comparing the NFL which would take someone about 1,800 hours a year to watch all games versus about 36 hours to watch all PPVs in a year.
So in your mind, because it's possible to watch all live UFC programming, if someone has no interest in some of it, they're not real fans?

To clarify and reiterate the point of this post:

1) Not caring about certain fighters/weightclasses/cards doesn't make one less of a fan.

2) Complaining endlessly about cards you think are weak is pointless. The only thing that matters towards change is whether or not you pay to watch. Phone Post 3.0

Please point out one time I've ever said anything about being or not being a real fan. My point is you used a completely stupid comparison with the NFL and an even worse one with MLB. One is PPV. One is not. With one you can watch your chosen team. With the other you cannot choose to watch certain fights (Kj Noons example). One takes up about 36 hours a year. The other 1,800 hours.
8/4/13 1:22 PM
Mihow
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LILBROCK - 
Mihow - 
LILBROCK - I can't believe it's so confusing for you. If the NFL were like the UFC, it would be like me, as a Vikings fan, having to pay $55 and order a Patriots game and then they put the Vikings game on during halftime.

A fair comparison would be asking if Vikings fans watch all 16 games throughout the year or if they skip ones they are not interested in. One teams season is about the equivalent amount if time needed to watch the major UFCs for a year. Roughly 3 hours an event and game.
I watched 5-6 hours of mma last night and do so every time there's a UFC. Also there's closer to 20-24 cards a year Phone Post 3.0

He's talking about PPVs (cards worth the $$). There are at most 12 PPVs a year and no, that portion is not 5-6 hours. Half is free on Facebook or Fuel.

He? You mean you?

this thread is weird
8/4/13 1:33 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIAces -
LILBROCK - NFL fans absolutely watch every game they can. Kinda hard to compare MLB which has 162 games a year to the UFC, which puts on about 12 PPVs a year. I don't have a problem with a weak card every now and then. I have a problem with a card so weak it must be cancelled when the main event falls apart (Jones/ Hendo). That to me is the UFC knowing its a garbage card that no one wants to see other than the main event.

I also don't have a problem with a weaker card on free TV, but if they are charging $55, it should be stacked every time.
I watch every NFL game I can on Sundays. I also buy and watch every UFC card. I never miss a fight from other promotions if they are televised. I love these sports. I like the others also but I have to watch every game. There have been some weak cards for sure, but many things can affect one event. Which can screw with cards down the road.

Love the card or hate it, I always buy/watch it. I'm that big of a fan Phone Post 3.0
And someone who doesn't have the same level of dedication as this poster and skips some events or doesn't care for certain fighters or styles isn't automatically "not a fan." They may not be super-fans like this person, but they're still fans. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 2:14 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LILBROCK -
fryingarmbar - 
LILBROCK -
fryingarmbar - 
UFCJudgesRule - I absolutely watch every Ravens game and know what happened to every team in the AFC north and all the other potential playoff teams... NFL is a whole different monster compared to MMA though Phone Post 3.0
Right. You watch every Ravens game in the same way some ppl watch every of ______'s fights and don't have any interest in, say, 125lb fights. Other fans might bag on your choice of team but they don't accuse you of not being a fan because you don't watch exactly what they watch. Phone Post 3.0

Again, you're comparing the NFL which would take someone about 1,800 hours a year to watch all games versus about 36 hours to watch all PPVs in a year.
So in your mind, because it's possible to watch all live UFC programming, if someone has no interest in some of it, they're not real fans?

To clarify and reiterate the point of this post:

1) Not caring about certain fighters/weightclasses/cards doesn't make one less of a fan.

2) Complaining endlessly about cards you think are weak is pointless. The only thing that matters towards change is whether or not you pay to watch. Phone Post 3.0

Please point out one time I've ever said anything about being or not being a real fan. My point is you used a completely stupid comparison with the NFL and an even worse one with MLB. One is PPV. One is not. With one you can watch your chosen team. With the other you cannot choose to watch certain fights (Kj Noons example). One takes up about 36 hours a year. The other 1,800 hours.
How exactly does the UFC not having the sheer volume of live programming that other sports have invalidate either of the points I made? Even if they had thousands of hours of shows, how would that change the fact that your favorite fighter might be buried on a card you don't care for and that if you choose not to buy it, it doesn't make you less of a fan? How would it make posting about weak cards any more productive than it is now?

I don't get why you're hung up on the fact that, yes, it's physically more possible to watch all the UFCs than it is all NFL or MLB games when that's not the point of this thread at all. I suspect you just raged at the "stupid comparison" and completely glossed over the fact that this thread has nothing to do with how many hours of tv a human is capable of watching or the fairness of whether your beloved KJ Noons is featured on shows that are great from top to bottom. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 2:46 PM
LILBROCK

Mihow - 
LILBROCK - 
Mihow - 
LILBROCK - I can't believe it's so confusing for you. If the NFL were like the UFC, it would be like me, as a Vikings fan, having to pay $55 and order a Patriots game and then they put the Vikings game on during halftime.

A fair comparison would be asking if Vikings fans watch all 16 games throughout the year or if they skip ones they are not interested in. One teams season is about the equivalent amount if time needed to watch the major UFCs for a year. Roughly 3 hours an event and game.
I watched 5-6 hours of mma last night and do so every time there's a UFC. Also there's closer to 20-24 cards a year Phone Post 3.0

He's talking about PPVs (cards worth the $$). There are at most 12 PPVs a year and no, that portion is not 5-6 hours. Half is free on Facebook or Fuel.

He? You mean you?

this thread is weird

Dude, pay attention if you're going to join a thread. I didn't start the thread. I didn't comment about cards being "worth the $$" in the OP. It's in response to people ordering PPVs and then complaining about them including last nights card.
8/4/13 2:55 PM
LILBROCK

My beloved KJ? Now you're just getting emotional. If you weren't so dumb, you'd understand what "for example" meant. Just admit you made a completely fuckin stupid comparison, let your horrible and not very well thought out thread die, and move on about your day.

If you want to give it another shot, try comparing the UFCs PPVs to a specific franchise such as the Vikings, Patriots, Bears (don't get confused here...those are EXAMPLES again). That would make a lot more sense. You're welcome for the help.
8/4/13 3:18 PM
IIAces

fryingarmbar -
IIAces -
LILBROCK - NFL fans absolutely watch every game they can. Kinda hard to compare MLB which has 162 games a year to the UFC, which puts on about 12 PPVs a year. I don't have a problem with a weak card every now and then. I have a problem with a card so weak it must be cancelled when the main event falls apart (Jones/ Hendo). That to me is the UFC knowing its a garbage card that no one wants to see other than the main event.

I also don't have a problem with a weaker card on free TV, but if they are charging $55, it should be stacked every time.
I watch every NFL game I can on Sundays. I also buy and watch every UFC card. I never miss a fight from other promotions if they are televised. I love these sports. I like the others also but I have to watch every game. There have been some weak cards for sure, but many things can affect one event. Which can screw with cards down the road.

Love the card or hate it, I always buy/watch it. I'm that big of a fan Phone Post 3.0
And someone who doesn't have the same level of dedication as this poster and skips some events or doesn't care for certain fighters or styles isn't automatically "not a fan." They may not be super-fans like this person, but they're still fans. Phone Post 3.0
I have to use the DVR. I can't watch it all live. I have a wife and 3 kids and most TV sucks now. So I like to watch MMA and pass out after work Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 3:29 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No but many hardcore fans of mainstream individual sports watch every event of that sport. Golf, tennis, racing have very loyal followings. Heck, so do bowling and bull riding.
Why compare an individual sport to a team one when there are so many obvious ones that are much more applicable? Phone Post
8/4/13 3:34 PM
I LOVE GSP
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lots would if they could , that's why they buy "sunday ticket"from cable. if the games were scheduled so they could be watched individually they would all be watched, by a majority of fans.
8/4/13 3:50 PM
Ryan Black
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a friend that watches every NFL game, and every NBA & MLB game he can. He works from his home and rarely leaves his couch. He has all the special HD sports subscription channels, and DVR's all the games he can. It's his hobby, pretty much...

I understand that is a unique situation, but then again- I have another friend that works at a hockey rink and smokes a lot of weed in his spare time, who basically does the same thing when it comes to NFL games. He records them all, and spends his spare time on his couch with his bong, in front of his TV, watching NFL games. We don't talk much since this has become his 'thing,' we just don't have enough in common these days to get together and actually hang out. Shame... Phone Post
8/4/13 4:01 PM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK - My beloved KJ? Now you're just getting emotional. If you weren't so dumb, you'd understand what "for example" meant. Just admit you made a completely fuckin stupid comparison, let your horrible and not very well thought out thread die, and move on about your day.

If you want to give it another shot, try comparing the UFCs PPVs to a specific franchise such as the Vikings, Patriots, Bears (don't get confused here...those are EXAMPLES again). That would make a lot more sense. You're welcome for the help.
And you still have yet to state how the difference in volume between UFC and other sports leagues invalidate the points i made. Whether it's because of cost, the number of hours involved, or sheer preference, being selective about what you watch doesn't make you less of a fan. That was my first point.

My second point was bitching on the UG about how the guys you like are buried on weak cards is pointless--only what you pay for matters.

Again, your volume comparison means nothing in terms of these 2 specific points and you're just too dense to see that. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 4:03 PM
fryingarmbar

zedlepln - No but many hardcore fans of mainstream individual sports watch every event of that sport. Golf, tennis, racing have very loyal followings. Heck, so do bowling and bull riding.
Why compare an individual sport to a team one when there are so many obvious ones that are much more applicable? Phone Post
Because they're more relatable? Again, whether the barrier is time required, expense, or preference, being selective does not disqualify one from being a fan. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 4:12 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team sports are more "relatable" to mma than other individual sports? That makes about as much sense as wookies living on the planet Endor. Phone Post
8/4/13 4:31 PM
fryingarmbar

zedlepln - Team sports are more "relatable" to mma than other individual sports? That makes about as much sense as wookies living on the planet Endor. Phone Post
If I knew for a fact that golf fans don't argue over who is a real fan based on particular events or golfers, I absolutely would've used that.

But since I don't, I went with sports that I know most ppl watch and where I know for a fact that one can skip a bunch of games, not like particular styles of play, etc., and still be considered fans. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 5:00 PM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar - I'm thinking they don't. They follow the teams/divisions they like and maybe read up on results of other games. In those cases, do other fans accuse them of not being real fans?

On the flip side, clearly there are cards not worth the $--in which even if the fights are competitive, they lack any kind of significance-- but why complain endlessly about them? Just don't order them. Phone Post 3.0
As far as NHL goes, i do not miss an oiler game. Try not to miss leaf games and if neither are pkayig I'm normally watching the most relevant game that's on.

MLB I watch every blue jay game and I try to catch the rest of the divisions games along with the tigers and cardinals.

As far as mma goes, I've missed 3 UFC events tfat I can't remember. 1 not by choice. The other 2 were the Winnipeg card and this last event. Reasoning? I refuse to pay to watch lyoto machida throw two punch combo then run away. Guy throws the least amount of strikes for a "striker" I've ever seen. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 5:19 PM
fryingarmbar

ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever -
fryingarmbar - I'm thinking they don't. They follow the teams/divisions they like and maybe read up on results of other games. In those cases, do other fans accuse them of not being real fans?

On the flip side, clearly there are cards not worth the $--in which even if the fights are competitive, they lack any kind of significance-- but why complain endlessly about them? Just don't order them. Phone Post 3.0
As far as NHL goes, i do not miss an oiler game. Try not to miss leaf games and if neither are pkayig I'm normally watching the most relevant game that's on.

MLB I watch every blue jay game and I try to catch the rest of the divisions games along with the tigers and cardinals.

As far as mma goes, I've missed 3 UFC events tfat I can't remember. 1 not by choice. The other 2 were the Winnipeg card and this last event. Reasoning? I refuse to pay to watch lyoto machida throw two punch combo then run away. Guy throws the least amount of strikes for a "striker" I've ever seen. Phone Post 3.0
And that's fair enough. That's what you choose to not pay for in time or $--but you're still every bit a fan, even if I don't agree wit you (I kind of do).

Too often on the UG ppl write others off as noobs or not real fans for simply not liking what they like. If someone hates GSP's style or can't get into the little guys, all of a sudden they're clueless, they need to watch toughman championships, etc. That's a shitty attitude and one that I'm not sure exists in other sports. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 5:53 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
369 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NFL fans at least watch 1-3 games WEEKLY from August until January.

Average fans will watch the 1pm game, 4pm game, Sunday night game AND Monday Night Football.

That is 4 games per week of regular season.

Over 12 hours.

I'd say that's on par with a fight fan watching 2 UFC events per month on average at 6 hours maximum accounting for 1 PPV and 1 TV or 2 PPV.

Sorry but pretending like following UFC is on par with watching every NHL or MLB game does not hold up.

Average NFL fans commit to 10 plus hours WEEKLY for 5-6 months.

I'd say 6 hours MONTHLY isn't so hard to do. Phone Post
8/4/13 6:18 PM
r_o_y

I know one thing for sure.... no other sport fans bitch more than mma fans.

P4p best right there.
8/4/13 6:20 PM
fryingarmbar

JeffersonDArcyChoke - NFL fans at least watch 1-3 games WEEKLY from August until January.

Average fans will watch the 1pm game, 4pm game, Sunday night game AND Monday Night Football.

Over 12 hours.

I'd say that's on par with a fight fan watching 2 UFC events per month on average at 6 hours maximum accounting for 1 PPV and 1 TV or 2 PPV.

Sorry but pretending like following UFC is on par with watching every NHL or MLB game does not hold up.

But the time commitment is neither here nor there. The point is that in other sports you can be a fan of only particular teams or divisions and you're still a fan of the sport as a whole. On the UG, however, if you don't like a particular fighter or weight class, there's no shortage of posters saying "You're not a fan of MMA!" And that what's really retarded, sir. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 8:51 PM
LILBROCK

fryingarmbar - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke - NFL fans at least watch 1-3 games WEEKLY from August until January.

Over 12 hours.

But the time commitment is neither here nor there. The point is that in other sports you can be a fan of only particular teams or divisions and you're still a fan of the sport as a whole. On the UG, however, if you don't like a particular fighter or weight class, there's no shortage of posters saying "You're not a fan of MMA!" And that what's really retarded, sir. Phone Post 3.0

So that's what your stuck on? Because a few outspoken posters on mma.tv out of 7 billion on the planet say another poster is not a true fan, it's the a gospel now?

How much time have you spent on message boards for other sports? I'm guessing not many. The terms "fair weather fan" and "jumping on the bandwagon" have been around long before UFC, mma.tv, and mma.
8/4/13 9:04 PM
UFCJudgesRule
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How dedicated am I to the NFL you ask? I'm watching the fucking HOF game! Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 10:07 PM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK -
fryingarmbar - 

Over 12 hours.

So that's what your stuck on? Because a few outspoken posters on mma.tv out of 7 billion on the planet say another poster is not a true fan, it's the a gospel now?

How much time have you spent on message boards for other sports? I'm guessing not many. The terms "fair weather fan" and "jumping on the bandwagon" have been around long before UFC, mma.tv, and mma.
If you had any sort of reading comprehension you would've realized that was one of the main points of this thread. That the UGers constantly dismissing those who don't like what they like or follow what they follow as non-fans detract from the level of discourse.

Fair-weather and bandwagons jumpers refers to a lack of loyalty to a particular team, not a sport as a whole. When those terms are used, one's fandom for the entire sport is not what's being questioned. On the UG, it is. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 10:14 PM
LILBROCK

ssj - op is arguing in circles that are square

Ya he's all over the place. I have a feeling he gets distracted by shiny objects frequently.
8/4/13 10:21 PM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK -
ssj - op is arguing in circles that are square

Ya he's all over the place. I have a feeling he gets distracted by shiny objects frequently.
Nope. Only 2 points to this thread and you managed to miss them both. I'll try to dumb it down a shade for you next time Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 10:25 PM
LILBROCK

Allen Hood - No way I'm watching 82 games. But I watch every single UFC card and most bellators when I don't work the next morning. Phone Post 3.0

Not 82. He wants to know if you watch all 82 games from every team in the NBA. He basically wants to know if "real fans" of the NBA watch all 1,230 games each season.

I know. It's stupid.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.