UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do MLB/NFL/NBA fans watch every single game?

8/4/13 10:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking they don't. They follow the teams/divisions they like and maybe read up on results of other games. In those cases, do other fans accuse them of not being real fans?

On the flip side, clearly there are cards not worth the $--in which even if the fights are competitive, they lack any kind of significance-- but why complain endlessly about them? Just don't order them. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 10:56 AM
jerdney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good point. I'm an NHL fan. Kind of a die hard. But, by no means do I watch every game. I read all the news, watch replays, etc. I do what I can, as a dude with a busy life.
Same with mma. I, for one, think more shows is better. I like learning the stories of up and coming fighters. Or fighters dealing with adversity. I remember the days when there were only a couple shows a year. I also remember what it was like to wait three months for a card, only to be bored out of my mind with lame fights. Phone Post
8/4/13 11:01 AM
LILBROCK

NFL fans absolutely watch every game they can. Kinda hard to compare MLB which has 162 games a year to the UFC, which puts on about 12 PPVs a year. I don't have a problem with a weak card every now and then. I have a problem with a card so weak it must be cancelled when the main event falls apart (Jones/ Hendo). That to me is the UFC knowing its a garbage card that no one wants to see other than the main event.

I also don't have a problem with a weaker card on free TV, but if they are charging $55, it should be stacked every time.
8/4/13 11:02 AM
danggook
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This card was awesome IMO maybe not on paper but I wasn't bored at all Phone Post
8/4/13 11:11 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LILBROCK - NFL fans absolutely watch every game they can. Kinda hard to compare MLB which has 162 games a year to the UFC, which puts on about 12 PPVs a year. I don't have a problem with a weak card every now and then. I have a problem with a card so weak it must be cancelled when the main event falls apart (Jones/ Hendo). That to me is the UFC knowing its a garbage card that no one wants to see other than the main event.

I also don't have a problem with a weaker card on free TV, but if they are charging $55, it should be stacked every time.
My brother is a huge football fan and he doesn't watch every game. He watches "his teams" and Sportscenter for the rest. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 11:15 AM
LILBROCK

I didn't mean they watch 16 games, or about 55 hours each week. I meant they watch their team. Sorry, I figured that was obvious.
8/4/13 11:17 AM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK - I didn't mean they watch 16 games, or about 55 hours each week. I meant they watch their team. Sorry, I figured that was obvious.
Which is exactly my point. You can be a "real fan" of MMA/UFC and only watch a certain subset of divisions/fighters. Because specific cards or weight classes don't hold your particular interest doesn't make you less of a fan. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 11:35 AM
LILBROCK

Ummm ok? People complain because they may want to see one particular fight and to do so, they have to pay $55. They don't have a problem if the rest of the card is solid. It's not a confusing concept.

And your other sport examples dont really apply. sThere are about 40 hours of NFL on Sundays. There probably 30 hours of baseball a day. It's either impossible or unrealistic to watch every game even if wanted to. I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this thread. I get the whole "don't like it don't buy it" but that doesn't make it right that the uFC charges $55 for garbage cards with 1-2 good fights.
8/4/13 12:16 PM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK - Ummm ok? People complain because they may want to see one particular fight and to do so, they have to pay $55. They don't have a problem if the rest of the card is solid. It's not a confusing concept.

And your other sport examples dont really apply. sThere are about 40 hours of NFL on Sundays. There probably 30 hours of baseball a day. It's either impossible or unrealistic to watch every game even if wanted to. I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this thread. I get the whole "don't like it don't buy it" but that doesn't make it right that the uFC charges $55 for garbage cards with 1-2 good fights.
So either that 1 particular fight is worth $55 to you and you order it OR it's not and you don't. Either way, vote with your dollars. It's not a confusing concept.

And the comparisons to other sports are apt because that's exactly what the UFC is trying to get to: They want to have enough fighters to run enough cards to be ubiquitous.

Fans will pick and choose which fighters they want to watch but they should probably just accept that there will be a bunch of match-ups they don't care for. And fans should also probably give the whole "you don't like what I like so ur not a real fan!" stuff a rest, too. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 12:21 PM
UFCJudgesRule
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I absolutely watch every Ravens game and know what happened to every team in the AFC north and all the other potential playoff teams... NFL is a whole different monster compared to MMA though Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 12:24 PM
LILBROCK

I can't believe it's so confusing for you. If the NFL were like the UFC, it would be like me, as a Vikings fan, having to pay $55 and order a Patriots game and then they put the Vikings game on during halftime.

A fair comparison would be asking if Vikings fans watch all 16 games throughout the year or if they skip ones they are not interested in. One teams season is about the equivalent amount if time needed to watch the major UFCs for a year. Roughly 3 hours an event and game.
8/4/13 12:38 PM
Mihow

LILBROCK - I can't believe it's so confusing for you. If the NFL were like the UFC, it would be like me, as a Vikings fan, having to pay $55 and order a Patriots game and then they put the Vikings game on during halftime.

A fair comparison would be asking if Vikings fans watch all 16 games throughout the year or if they skip ones they are not interested in. One teams season is about the equivalent amount if time needed to watch the major UFCs for a year. Roughly 3 hours an event and game.
I watched 5-6 hours of mma last night and do so every time there's a UFC. Also there's closer to 20-24 cards a year Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 12:44 PM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK - I can't believe it's so confusing for you. If the NFL were like the UFC, it would be like me, as a Vikings fan, having to pay $55 and order a Patriots game and then they put the Vikings game on during halftime.

And either you care so much about that portion of the show that it would be worth $55 to you or it wouldn't. I don't get how that's a confusing concept to you. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 12:47 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is for sure: they surely dont bitch about every game not being game of the year.
8/4/13 12:47 PM
fryingarmbar

UFCJudgesRule - I absolutely watch every Ravens game and know what happened to every team in the AFC north and all the other potential playoff teams... NFL is a whole different monster compared to MMA though Phone Post 3.0
Right. You watch every Ravens game in the same way some ppl watch every of ______'s fights and don't have any interest in, say, 125lb fights. Other fans might bag on your choice of team but they don't accuse you of not being a fan because you don't watch exactly what they watch. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 12:49 PM
LILBROCK

Mihow - 

I watched 5-6 hours of mma last night and do so every time there's a UFC. Also there's closer to 20-24 cards a year Phone Post 3.0

He's talking about PPVs (cards worth the $$). There are at most 12 PPVs a year and no, that portion is not 5-6 hours. Half is free on Facebook or Fuel.
8/4/13 12:52 PM
UFCJudgesRule
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar -
UFCJudgesRule - I absolutely watch every Ravens game and know what happened to every team in the AFC north and all the other potential playoff teams... NFL is a whole different monster compared to MMA though Phone Post 3.0
Right. You watch every Ravens game in the same way some ppl watch every of ______'s fights and don't have any interest in, say, 125lb fights. Other fans might bag on your choice of team but they don't accuse you of not being a fan because you don't watch exactly what they watch. Phone Post 3.0
Agreed but even if I was to miss a game because I didn't think it'd be good the chairman wouldn't say I'm not a real fan *ahem* Dana Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 12:54 PM
fryingarmbar

Wasa-B - This is for sure: they surely dont bitch about every game not being game of the year.
Truth. I have no love for Dana White at all so no one can ever accuse me of being a shill.

However, MMA fans seem unreasonably demanding. We're not talking about ticket holders who may have legitimate gripes about not receiving discounts when entire cards are changed. We're talking about ppl who know full well that the card is comprised of guys outside of the top 15 or 20 in their divisions, order it, and then bitch that it was wack. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 12:57 PM
LILBROCK

fryingarmbar - 

And either you care so much about that portion of the show that it would be worth $55 to you or it wouldn't. I don't get how that's a confusing concept to you. Phone Post 3.0

But it's not like that, which is why comparing to other sports is dumb. If I want to watch every Vikings game, I can. If I want to watch every KJNoons fight, I'll have to pay $55 to possibly watch a garbage card. I don't have the option to watch a specific fighter. The point of people complaining is that they don't have a problem ordering and paying the $55 to see KJ Noons if the rest of the card is good. Fact of the matter is they are very watered down lately, which is why PPV buys are way down.

8/4/13 12:58 PM
fryingarmbar

UFCJudgesRule -
fryingarmbar -
Agreed but even if I was to miss a game because I didn't think it'd be good the chairman wouldn't say I'm not a real fan *ahem* Dana Phone Post 3.0
Fair point but it's obviously in DW's best interest to get fans to pay for every show. Attacking one's fandom is a questionable strategy at best but I understand his motivation. I don't understand when it comes from other fans. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 1:00 PM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK -
fryingarmbar - 

But it's not like that, which is why comparing to other sports is dumb. If I want to watch every Vikings game, I can. If I want to watch every KJNoons fight, I'll have to pay $55 to possibly watch a garbage card. I don't have the option to watch a specific fighter. The point of people complaining is that they don't have a problem ordering and paying the $55 to see KJ Noons if the rest of the card is good. Fact of the matter is they are very watered down lately, which is why PPV buys are way down.

You think UFC cares about complaints if ppl keep paying for shit and revenue goes up? No, so make your voice heard by not ordering. 20 threads about a show being hot garbage are completely unnecessary. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 1:02 PM
LILBROCK

fryingarmbar - 

Again, you're comparing the NFL which would take someone about 1,800 hours a year to watch all games versus about 36 hours to watch all PPVs in a year.
8/4/13 1:04 PM
LILBROCK

fryingarmbar - 
LILBROCK -
fryingarmbar - 

You think UFC cares about complaints if ppl keep paying for shit and revenue goes up? No, so make your voice heard by not ordering. 20 threads about a show being hot garbage are completely unnecessary. Phone Post 3.0

Clearly that's what's happening. Look at PPV numbers over the years
8/4/13 1:06 PM
fryingarmbar

LILBROCK -
fryingarmbar - 

Again, you're comparing the NFL which would take someone about 1,800 hours a year to watch all games versus about 36 hours to watch all PPVs in a year.
So in your mind, because it's possible to watch all live UFC programming, if someone has no interest in some of it, they're not real fans?

To clarify and reiterate the point of this post:

1) Not caring about certain fighters/weightclasses/cards doesn't make one less of a fan.

2) Complaining endlessly about cards you think are weak is pointless. The only thing that matters towards change is whether or not you pay to watch. Phone Post 3.0
8/4/13 1:11 PM
IIAces

LILBROCK - NFL fans absolutely watch every game they can. Kinda hard to compare MLB which has 162 games a year to the UFC, which puts on about 12 PPVs a year. I don't have a problem with a weak card every now and then. I have a problem with a card so weak it must be cancelled when the main event falls apart (Jones/ Hendo). That to me is the UFC knowing its a garbage card that no one wants to see other than the main event.

I watch every NFL game I can on Sundays. I also buy and watch every UFC card. I never miss a fight from other promotions if they are televised. I love these sports. I like the others also but I have to watch every game. There have been some weak cards for sure, but many things can affect one event. Which can screw with cards down the road.

Love the card or hate it, I always buy/watch it. I'm that big of a fan Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.