UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The biggest issue with the Davis/Machida decision

8/5/13 12:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
plastekt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My biggest problem with the Davis/Machida decision isn't the decision itself, it's the implications and aftermath of it.

Davis gained nothing by winning it.

Machida possibly lost his last chance for a rematch with Jones.

With the initial announcement of the fight I was extremely excited - a Machida win would solidify himself as the number 1 contender and a Davis win would line up a new opponent and challenge for Jones.

At first I was hoping for Davis to win for that exact reason; to see Jones with a new challenge. However, as time wore on and we got closer to the fight date I had a change of heart.

Machida is aging and probably near the end of his prime as a fighter but is absolutely incredible and deserves a second chance at Jones. Losing this fight would likely keep that from ever happening.

Davis is a green fighter still, obviously talented and skilled but also very young. If he lost vs. Machida no one would bat an eye unless he was spectacularly finished. He could have lost, then been back in the title picture with 1 or 2 more wins. His window isn't closing for a long time.

Now you have the actual fight and the largely disputable decision.

Davis gained nothing from this fight but Machida lost a lot. I like Phil Davis a ton, but there's no justification for a title shot for him now. There's just a ton of justification to keep Machida away from one, which I think is extremely unfortunate. I think Machida is still the second best Light Heavyweight in the world and he's back on the grind to get another chance to prove it, but who knows what fighter we'll see when/if he gets there. Machida's window is either closing or closed. If I was Dana White I'd book Machida vs. Jones 2 regardless of the decision.

Between the above and Aldo vs. Zombie being plagued by injuries, a pretty good card ended on a very sour note.
8/5/13 12:36 PM
T Bag

You think Machida should be rewarded with a title shot after putting up two terrible performances in a row against Hendo and Davis? Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 12:38 PM
plastekt

T Bag - You think Machida should be rewarded with a title shot after putting up two terrible performances in a row against Hendo and Davis? Phone Post 3.0

No. But that didn't happen either, so there's no point in mentioning it.
8/5/13 12:41 PM
T Bag

plastekt -
T Bag - You think Machida should be rewarded with a title shot after putting up two terrible performances in a row against Hendo and Davis? Phone Post 3.0

Lol you're right. Lyoto Landing a combined 56 strikes over the past 6 rounds in two boring and close decisions didn't happen. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 12:50 PM
Leck Brosnar

T Bag - 
plastekt -

Lol you're right. Lyoto Landing a combined 56 strikes over the past 6 rounds in two boring and close decisions didn't happen. Phone Post 3.0

Nothing close about either of those two fights unless you have no idea what you are watching.
8/5/13 12:54 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol he gained nothing by getting the nod against the #1 LHW?

Sit down, OP. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 1:01 PM
Phisher

yellow wrkahlc is dead - Lol he gained nothing by getting the nod against the #1 LHW?

He moved up to 7 from 8 in the "official rankings," but that's about it.

8/5/13 1:04 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc is dead - Lol he gained nothing by getting the nod against the #1 LHW?

This is what I was thinking. I think Davids was like ranked 8 or 9. Beating #1 is a pretty big deal. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 1:07 PM
Leck Brosnar

Rambo John J - Bader, Silva, Evans, Coutour are his only dominant performances.
He is not really that impressive if you actually look at his career.

I am rarely impressed with Lyoto.
But some guys like a guy with a little hip shimmy every 30 seconds.

That's a pretty awesome list of fighters, add in Hendo and Davis for clear 30-27 and 29-28 decisions respectably. Machida also owned Rich Franklin before it was cool and worthy of the UFC MW title.

Lol at not impressive. Let me remind myself for not taking any advice or opinions from you. Lol ;)
8/5/13 1:08 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher -
yellow wrkahlc is dead - Lol he gained nothing by getting the nod against the #1 LHW?

He moved up to 7 from 8 in the "official rankings," but that's about it.

Not the point I was trying to make.

He just beat the guy who was set to face Jones once more with a victory. Davis is one more win away from a title shot now.

OP's saying he got nothing for beating Lyoto. That is, for lack of a better term, stupid. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 1:20 PM
Leck Brosnar

Rambo John J - 
Leck Brosnar - 
Rambo John J - Bader, Silva, Evans, Coutour are his only dominant performances.
He is not really that impressive if you actually look at his career.

I am rarely impressed with Lyoto.
But some guys like a guy with a little hip shimmy every 30 seconds.

That's a pretty awesome list of fighters, add in Hendo and Davis for clear 30-27 and 29-28 decisions respectably. Machida also owned Rich Franklin before it was cool and worthy of the UFC MW title.

Lol at not impressive. Let me remind myself for not taking any advice or opinions from you. Lol ;)

I need some of what you been smoking, Clear cut decisions???

He is a decision machine when he faces tough opponents.

He tried to brawl one time and he got KTFO and his eye swelled shut.

You think Hendo and Davis were close? Please stop watching MMA and do us all a favour, or even better there could be a judging job for you available where you can screw fighters on a regular basis. Good luck in your future endeavours, blindy.

:DD
8/5/13 1:34 PM
shawarma

It's clear from the Davis fight and from his Jones fight that machida is gradually declining and isn't the same as when he beat Rashad.

What is also pretty damn clear is he has nothing for Jones now. Hopefully we get to see the likes of Gustaffson, Glover and any up and comers. Phone Post
JStrongMMA

Lol...who the hell wanted to see Machida vs. Jones again? No thanks. Phone Post
Dugs95

Leck Brosnar -
T Bag - 
plastekt -

Nothing close about either of those two fights unless you have no idea what you are watching.
Hendo fight was a joke, wasn't even point fighting, he just didn't want to engage, no way he "deserves" a title shot! Can't think of any1 actually who does, but U can't just give it to machida because there is no one else or you think he has the best shot. I used to be a big machida fan, I still like him, but he seems afraid to get hit now and point fighting can get u screwed sometimes. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 1:37 PM
Leck Brosnar

Rambo John J - He peaked before SHogun battered his legs and the stole his soul.

The Machida era is over people.

No one is beating Jones so yeah, you could say Machida era is over. He will still clearly beat Rashad, Hendo, Davis, Bader, Franklin, Bonnar... What a "bad" fighter.

;))
8/5/13 1:38 PM
JStrongMMA

Leck Brosnar -
T Bag - 
plastekt -

I think Machida lost both of those fights as well as the the first shogun fight. If I wanted to watch karate I would visit the local c.s. kim dojo so those ten and eleven year olds have an audience. Phone Post
8/5/13 1:46 PM
Leck Brosnar

JStrongMMA - 
Leck Brosnar -
T Bag - 
plastekt -

I think Machida lost both of those fights as well as the the first shogun fight. If I wanted to watch karate I would visit the local c.s. kim dojo so those ten and eleven year olds have an audience. Phone Post

Well this is MMA, his opponents can do anything they fucking want to this one dimensional karate dude. Too bad no one apart from Shogun and Jones has been able to. Such a tough sport losing to a karate guy... ;))
8/5/13 1:47 PM
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal

As far as I'm considered machida has 2 losses. When shogun ko'd him and jones choked him out, and I'm sure alot of people would agree. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 1:49 PM
kevsh
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of you need to get a grip.

Lyoto hasn't been the same since the Shogun lost but up until then the guy absolutely mauled Rashad when Rashad had game, went 5 rounds with Shogun the first time without taking serious damage, blasted Silva and Sokoudjou and went 16-0 to start his career.

The problems started when other LHWs figured out how to deal with his stance and attack. He's no threat to Jones now but he's still a great fighter.
8/5/13 1:52 PM
JStrongMMA

Rambo John J -
Fryedtakyama owns me, it's normal - As far as I'm considered machida has 2 losses. When shogun ko'd him and jones choked him out, and I'm sure alot of people would agree. Phone Post 3.0

Great SN name bro, I like it.

You actually think Lyoto won the first fight with Rua.

He was limping and giving up out there, clearly beaten and bested.

The decision was a joke.
Cecil disagrees...but yea Shogun won that fight. Phone Post
8/5/13 2:03 PM
plastekt

No, it should have been a big deal but it wasn't given the circumstance. There's this thing called context.
8/5/13 2:07 PM
plastekt

kevsh - Some of you need to get a grip.

Lyoto hasn't been the same since the Shogun lost but up until then the guy absolutely mauled Rashad when Rashad had game, went 5 rounds with Shogun the first time without taking serious damage, blasted Silva and Sokoudjou and went 16-0 to start his career.

The problems started when other LHWs figured out how to deal with his stance and attack. He's no threat to Jones now but he's still a great fighter.

That's essentially what I'm saying for the most part, Machida is either on the decline or near the decline, but he's still the 2nd best LHW currently and he would have gotten a title shot after beating Davis.

Now he's going to have to derail some prospects to get another shot and he'll theoretically be fighting Jones while he's on a steady decline instead of the advent of it, which is going to be mostly pointless to watch.
8/5/13 2:42 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't say terrible but was also thinking no way he comes close to winning after barely beating those 2
8/5/13 2:44 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rambo John J - He peaked before SHogun battered his legs and the stole his soul.

The Machida era is over people.

The Bader fight was one of his best examples of his style in action actually but thought he would do more against hendo and davis
8/5/13 2:51 PM
BigTedBear
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 2 cents I thought Lyoto won but I can see how Phil got the decision not a huge robbery surprising in Brazil. The only good thing that might come is Lyoto might consider 185 if Anderson loses again. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.