UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Inform fighters of current round scoring?

8/5/13 12:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EFeeez
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but if they can't fix the judging, why not simply tell the fighters where they stand? If after round 1, Lyoto was told he was losing by points, I think he would have made adjustments. I think we would see fighters be more aggressive and lead to more finishes. Especially in the 3rd round. Phone Post
8/5/13 12:35 PM
plastekt
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they do this in certain kickboxing organizations.
8/5/13 12:38 PM
babbling monkey

YES! YES! YES! If the evolution of MMA is pointfighting, the just put a fightmetric scoreboard in the arena. Fighters and fans would benefit. You can get rid of the judges. Place a point value for a jab, significant strike, sub attempt, knock down, takedown etc kinda like a wrestling tournament.
8/5/13 12:40 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Open scoring has been tried in boxing. Kizer rejected it a couple years back because he feared that it would lead to more injury DQs.
8/5/13 12:44 PM
ChrisAllen
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like it would be another distraction and have a more of a negative impact on the losing fighter than a positive. Sure, he might be more desperate to win but have you ever noticed when a fighter obviously loses a round his corner is still telling them they took it! IMO the positive reinforcement to boost confidence is more necessary than knowing you're losing.

I would also like to add that I do not fight and do not know the mindset, this is just how it would seem to me. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 1:08 PM
UGCTT_AndersonKnowsHowToNap
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

plastekt - I think they do this in certain kickboxing organizations.
Titan or Legacy or one of the AXS fight promotions does this also iirc. Going into the 3rd the are given the current score or something of that effect. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 1:11 PM
quality

I believe the last Super Fight League or last couple of events of theirs had open scoring for each round. It was pretty cool to see what each judge scored it round by round as soon as the round was over.
8/5/13 2:57 PM
EFeeez
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChrisAllen - Seems like it would be another distraction and have a more of a negative impact on the losing fighter than a positive. Sure, he might be more desperate to win but have you ever noticed when a fighter obviously loses a round his corner is still telling them they took it! IMO the positive reinforcement to boost confidence is more necessary than knowing you're losing.

I would also like to add that I do not fight and do not know the mindset, this is just how it would seem to me. Phone Post 3.0
I always thought the corners said that because they're biased. Dude, if I'm in there throwing bungalows and thinking I'm winning and I'm not, I want someone to tell me. Don't worry about my confidence. How will my confidence feel after the L. I do see your point tho. I guess I'm looking for Condit vs Rory type finishes. Condit knew he was down. I'm sure his corner told him. He went out and got it done. Phone Post
8/5/13 3:00 PM
EFeeez

babbling monkey - YES! YES! YES! If the evolution of MMA is pointfighting, the just put a fightmetric scoreboard in the arena. Fighters and fans would benefit. You can get rid of the judges. Place a point value for a jab, significant strike, sub attempt, knock down, takedown etc kinda like a wrestling tournament.
Lol, I am not into point fighting. Just saying if I trained and dieted for 12 weeks, I would like to know where I stand. Too many bad decisions out there. True, don't let it go to the judges...but if I think I've won the first two rounds against a game opponent, of course I will be more conservative to preserve my lead. I would still try to finish but know I don't need to make stupid decisions either. Phone Post
8/5/13 3:04 PM
RearNakedToke
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It never seemed to make K-1 boring. It let the guy ahead on cards know that his opponent was coming to take his head off the last round if they are far behind. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 3:10 PM
stickman
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel it may lead to fighters not trying their hardest, if they know they're winning. A good example of this was when Miesha Tate told Bryan Carraway (sp?), "you can coast this round" (not an exact quote but she definitely used the word "coast", I believe).

I know it's not good, strategy-wise, to go for the finish, if you're clearly winning but I like it from the true "battle" sense of the fight, vs the scoring sense of a sport.

On a side-note, I think Carraway ended up losing that fight, a decision I didn't agree with but was still kind of glad that it happened so as to discourage further coasting.
8/5/13 3:24 PM
notsobigmike
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stickman - I feel it may lead to fighters not trying their hardest, if they know they're winning. A good example of this was when Miesha Tate told Bryan Carraway (sp?), "you can coast this round" (not an exact quote but she definitely used the word "coast", I believe).

I know it's not good, strategy-wise, to go for the finish, if you're clearly winning but I like it from the true "battle" sense of the fight, vs the scoring sense of a sport.

On a side-note, I think Carraway ended up losing that fight, a decision I didn't agree with but was still kind of glad that it happened so as to discourage further coasting.

But there's a flip side to that coin.

The losing fighter knows he's down big and needs to make something happen in the final round.

The winning fighter may want to coast through the last round, but that's tough to do if they other guy is going for broke, knowing that he needs a finish.

I also think there's the "make a statement" factor. If I'm gunning for a title shot, I know that the win is the most important thing, but I also know that I need to go out and SHOW people why I deserve to fight the champ.

Even if I've dominated a guy throughout the first two rounds, if I think I can get a finish, I'm going for it, ahead on points or not.
8/5/13 3:26 PM
Brian McLaughlin
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cornered a fighter in Pancrase which does open scoring. Before the fight I was on the fense about open scoring, but having experienced it there is no doubt it is the way to go

8/5/13 3:43 PM
FeardBucker

notsobigmike -
stickman - I feel it may lead to fighters not trying their hardest, if they know they're winning. A good example of this was when Miesha Tate told Bryan Carraway (sp?), "you can coast this round" (not an exact quote but she definitely used the word "coast", I believe).

But there's a flip side to that coin.

The losing fighter knows he's down big and needs to make something happen in the final round.

The winning fighter may want to coast through the last round, but that's tough to do if they other guy is going for broke, knowing that he needs a finish.

I also think there's the "make a statement" factor. If I'm gunning for a title shot, I know that the win is the most important thing, but I also know that I need to go out and SHOW people why I deserve to fight the champ.

Even if I've dominated a guy throughout the first two rounds, if I think I can get a finish, I'm going for it, ahead on points or not.
Yeah and if you have the first and secind round split I would think they would both be going for broke..... Would definitely make it interesting Phone Post
8/5/13 6:08 PM
Arlovskis Chin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

babbling monkey - YES! YES! YES! If the evolution of MMA is pointfighting, the just put a fightmetric scoreboard in the arena. Fighters and fans would benefit. You can get rid of the judges. Place a point value for a jab, significant strike, sub attempt, knock down, takedown etc kinda like a wrestling tournament.
Asking for more stalling than ever. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.