UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rillion Gracie attacking Dana via twitter

8/5/13 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Deputy Porker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bispingpokedmybrowneye - Roger ia still better than quite a few guys getting consistent fights. Losing a decision to Tim Kennedy in your first fight shouldnt cost you your contract. Phone Post
It didn't cost him his contract it ran out and they just didn't renew Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 5:42 PM
TheThrill
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what is that gif from?
8/5/13 5:47 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enough with the R names jeez Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 5:58 PM
AokiPants
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARAIDER -
Gamebred -
MMARAIDER - 
AokiPants -
DarkHelmet - For the last time ...... BJJ is not fighting Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, it's not fighting but it beats every other fighting in a pure martial art contest. Makes sense.

I agree though, that this isn't 1993, and everyone knows BJJ now, you can't just except to walk in and outclass people on the ground even if you're the best BJJ competitor alive. Roger admitted it himself when he said that only like ten percent of sport BJJ is applicable to MMA.

Personally, I think Roger is one of the only non-annoying Gracies and I hate to see his family members make him look bad by trying to fight his battles for him. Phone Post 3.0

beats every other fighting in a pure martial art contest?

How you figure that? Phone Post

see UFC 1-4 when it was vs
It's 2013 though no? Phone Post
Why yes it is 2013! Great observation! And not relevant at all to my point!

Obviously you can't succeed in mma on BJJ alone anymore. We just saw that. My point was that if BJJ isn't a fighting style, then Royce Gracie did a fantastic job beating everyone at UFC 1 without even fighting. Must have been magic.

Also, while most of the Gracies are annoying as fuck, Roger is one of the few nice ones, and I hate people assuming that he's just as arrogant as all the others. In addition to that, people shit on Roger when he tries to use BJJ to win fights and praise Demein Maia when he uses BJJ to win fights. The only difference between the two is success; Maia has adapted his BJJ to be incredibly effective in MMA, whereas Roger has not. Yet they both have the same strategy, but one gets criticized because the rest of his family has given their name a bad reputation. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 6:18 PM
mister_sticks
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

athsportsnutrition -
John M - Why do so many of the Gracies names' start with R?

Rickson, Relson, Royce, Renzo, Rhalan, Roger, Rose, Royler, Rodrigo, Ralek, Ralph, Rener, Ryron, Rolles, Ryan

The only ones I can think of that don't are Helio, Carlson, Crosly and maybe Cesar?

And now there's a Rillion......

Why you has confuse me Gracie family?

I think it had to do with 'R' having a good base and being close to a triangle.

Then they should have chosen the letter A. Can't think of a letter looking more like a triangle... Phone Post
8/5/13 6:25 PM
Mykal McDerp
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for nostra-dumbass pic of that phaggot front row brian Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 6:20 AM
Old Boxer

Mustard Tiger -

Awesome gif and screen name. VTFU Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 8:38 AM
kano350chevy
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blunderhooks -
John M - Why do so many of the Gracies names' start with R?

Rickson, Relson, Royce, Renzo, Rhalan, Roger, Rose, Royler, Rodrigo, Ralek, Ralph, Rener, Ryron, Rolles, Ryan

The only ones I can think of that don't are Helio, Carlson, Crosly and maybe Cesar?

And now there's a Rillion......

Why you has confuse me Gracie family?
You spelled Relio wrong. Phone Post 3.0
The correct spelling for 'wrong' when used in the context of a Gracie is 'rong' Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 9:26 AM
MattyECB
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fightharder - He just needs to be better. He even got controlled on the ground. It has nothing to do with kickboxing. Dana just wants to see exciting fights period. Roger does not really deliver on that front unfortunately. Phone Post 3.0

DJ's last title fight was a perfect example of how exciting positional grappling and TDs/Clinches can be to an average fighter.

That entire fight, whether or not striking was going on, every bit of grappling was a battle. Transitioning, chaining subs, trying to land strikes and scramble...

The issue isn't that people want to see MT, it's that we're no longer in the fucking 90s where someone can get away with being a monster BJJ fighter.

Learn some fucking wrestling, learn some fucking MT and come back with athleticism. Roger has the most incredible and transferable BJJ for MMA, but as is, he's not much of a UFC-caliber fighter -- or more accurately, he's not a top-level UFC-caliber fighter AND he isn't terribley exciting.
8/6/13 9:28 AM
OGT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRB is an enormous tool. Phone Post
8/6/13 9:29 AM
NicolasExitBJJ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whether BJJ is or isn't fighting is besides the question. this isn't street fighting, it's the SPORT of MMA and Roger just isn't athletic enough to cut it at the top level.

BJJ is still valid in a street fighting context, just as judo/wrestling/boxing/muaythai etc are.
8/6/13 9:53 AM
BeatonHauff
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roger is the only one I really like, he's humble and a nice guy. Most of the gracies are annoying and entitled as shit. I'm pretty confident jiu-jitsu would have come around sooner or later with or without Royce. Phone Post
8/6/13 10:02 AM
lb420lb
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mustard Tiger -

Awesome gif!! Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 10:05 AM
torquemada
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got more vibe that Zuffa didn't want to renew that Strike force $ contract. I think his show $ was 50g. Phone Post
8/6/13 10:06 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at my family has been doing it for a 100 years...

doing WHAT exactly? First of, it's been definitely less than 100 years and secondly, half the fights were fixed, many fights they lied to opponents about or changed rules so they are completely in their favor.

Anyone remember Choke with Rickson? Do ya'll remember the rules; specifically the one where a standing opponent getting rocked gets a standing-8 count while on the ground they don't...the rules favored the grappler, 100%. The early Gracie "fights" were equally as bad.
8/6/13 10:37 AM
mynameisjonas

ArthurKnoqOut - LOL at my family has been doing it for a 100 years...

doing WHAT exactly? First of, it's been definitely less than 100 years and secondly, half the fights were fixed, many fights they lied to opponents about or changed rules so they are completely in their favor.

Anyone remember Choke with Rickson? Do ya'll remember the rules; specifically the one where a standing opponent getting rocked gets a standing-8 count while on the ground they don't...the rules favored the grappler, 100%. The early Gracie "fights" were equally as bad.

The standing 8 count was part of the standard Shooto/Japan Vale Tudo rule set, not just for the tournament in Choke. And I think the only special rules they've ever asked for are no time limits, no judges, no ref stoppage, and sometimes unlimited rounds instead of no time limit. As has been discussed before, they ask for LESS rules instead of more in order to make it more like a real fight.
8/6/13 10:44 AM
OneSidedWar

Rillions butt-hurt because they let Roger go. Derpa-derp. Phone Post
8/6/13 10:45 AM
Dawkins

Roger Gracie Massacred Keith Jardine. He also owned Trevor Prangley who is close to fighting on the big show again. Losing one fight in the UFC doesn't mean you suck. He needs to get his ass to Thailand and work on his stand up.
8/6/13 10:58 AM
Mustard Tiger
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mynameisjonas - 

The standing 8 count was part of the standard Shooto/Japan Vale Tudo rule set, not just for the tournament in Choke. And I think the only special rules they've ever asked for are no time limits, no judges, no ref stoppage, and sometimes unlimited rounds instead of no time limit. As has been discussed before, they ask for LESS rules instead of more in order to make it more like a real fight.

Science!

8/6/13 11:12 AM
JetSetter

If FORD motor company never evolved from the Model T car they would be out of business.

The Gracie's are the Model T of MMA Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 11:16 AM
lenz0799

Just be sued you have gracie after your name doesn't immediately mean you an expert in all aspects of MMA and promoting fights.

Sooooooo many gracie's need to talk less and fight more. Phone Post
8/6/13 11:39 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

mynameisjonas - 

I know it was part of Shooto and Vale Tudo, I was simply stating that most people may know the rules strictly from Choke, not having watched eaaarrrllly "MMA".

Anyhow, coming into dojos in Brazil and requesting things like no punches, and the like, has been well documented on here in many many threads.

All I was trying to say. And, their (claim) history of promoting events for 100 years is still incorrect and for decades they were calling out masters in other disciplines to make a name for themselves--that's not putting on events haha, that's selling your craft, or put you in a position to tell Dana White (and Zuffa) what to do in the promotion business..

Pretty much doesn't change the fact that he's obviously butthurt about his 31-st cousin.
8/6/13 1:22 PM
Mata_Leon
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/06/13 1:22 PM

People like Rillion need to start understanding that MMA is a sport, not a fight. If you want to play, you need to adapt to the rules of the sport, not the other way around. His argument is like a hockey player saying figure skaters aren't skating because they skate differently.

Different sports, different rules, different success criteria.

8/6/13 1:30 PM
luctaro
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should thank the UFC. This frees Roger up to:
-Do seminars
-Do BJJ Tourneys (Metamoris ??)
-Fight for relative big money against easier opposition in MMA in order to improve, or just get a paycheck whatever suits his needs.
8/6/13 1:35 PM
cawsie77

Id love to see roger in this years adccs. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.