Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alumynabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARAIDER - 
Gamebred -
MMARAIDER - 
AokiPants -
DarkHelmet - For the last time ...... BJJ is not fighting Phone Post 3.0
Yeah, it's not fighting but it beats every other fighting in a pure martial art contest. Makes sense.

I agree though, that this isn't 1993, and everyone knows BJJ now, you can't just except to walk in and outclass people on the ground even if you're the best BJJ competitor alive. Roger admitted it himself when he said that only like ten percent of sport BJJ is applicable to MMA.

Personally, I think Roger is one of the only non-annoying Gracies and I hate to see his family members make him look bad by trying to fight his battles for him. Phone Post 3.0

beats every other fighting in a pure martial art contest?

How you figure that? Phone Post

see UFC 1-4 when it was vs
It's 2013 though no? Phone Post

Great point Raider. I only train MMA. BJJ is for fags.
8/9/13 9:43 AM
Alumynabjj

Christenson26 - 
Gamebred -
MMARAIDER - 
AokiPants -
Yeah, it's not fighting but it beats every other fighting in a pure martial art contest. Makes sense.

I agree though, that this isn't 1993, and everyone knows BJJ now, you can't just except to walk in and outclass people on the ground even if you're the best BJJ competitor alive. Roger admitted it himself when he said that only like ten percent of sport BJJ is applicable to MMA.

Personally, I think Roger is one of the only non-annoying Gracies and I hate to see his family members make him look bad by trying to fight his battles for him. Phone Post 3.0

I guess that's why college wrestlers are ruling mma right now. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, it's amazing how many wrestlers come straight into the UFC with only wrestling and dominate.

Here is a great example of someone with a low level wrestling background going up against a monster JUDO guy that is world famous on the scene and the wrestling guy just spanking him. Your point is spot on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTm94LbLNQE
8/12/13 1:28 PM
Mark Hunter
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/12/13 1:29 PM
Animal Mother - 
Authority Figure -
ThinkAlpha - I think a lot of people in this thread may not be informed as to who Rilion Gracie is...

I'm not condoning his statements as Roger did not look all that good in his last fight but Rilion deserves more respect in this thread.

He has coached Damian Maia, Renzo, Roger, Kyra and countless others. He co-founded (if I remember correctly) Gracie Barra and is now the main or one of the main leaders of Gracie Elite. He's been a black belt for 30 years. When Maia and Edgar fought in Houston they came to Rilions game for tune ups. Rickson himself was once quoted in saying that Rilion had the most technical guard in the family.

I don't specifically think Rogers of Jiu Jitsu is the best for MMA as compared to someone like Jacare's or Maia who is more explosive/athletic Jiu Jitsu but he has had success in MMA with it. It's MMA so the fighter is responsible for being well rounded but to say Rilion doesn't know what he's talking about is absurd. Phone Post 3.0

His accomplishments don't give him the right to dictate what members of his family can be in the UFC.

Nor does it give him the right to not know how to spell "shameful". 

How well can you spell in Portuguese? Phone Post 3.0

Rilion is the youngest son of Grandmaster Carlos, and has always been around. Watch UFC 1-4, and look to see who is consistently behind Royce rubbing his shoulders on the way to the Octagon in the Gracie Train. Watch the number of Renzo's fights where that same guy's in his corner. Same with Ralph, and Roger. Rilion is well known to have the most technical guard in the Gracie family, and has been a huge influence on GJJ/BJJ.

You don't hear about him as much because he hasn't commercialized his academies or self as much as other family members. It would seem as though most of the BJJ/GJJ critics would respect that, not use is as an excuse to belittle him.

As far as his criticisms, Rilion's been coaching and assessing fighters since far before Dana had even heard of BJJ. So let's don't act like he's not qualified to criticize . . . that's a little bit silly. In the end, I'm sure he was just voicing frustration to Roger being cut prematurely by the UFC.

And do we even know if Rilion is actually the guy who posts under his Twitter name?
8/12/13 1:48 PM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"As far as his criticisms, Rilion's been coaching and assessing fighters since far before Dana had even heard of BJJ. So let's don't act like he's not qualified to criticize . . . that's a little bit silly. In the end, I'm sure he was just voicing frustration to Roger being cut prematurely by the UFC."

Roger got his ass kicked (even on the ground) in his UFC debut so if that is the standard of fighters Rillion has coached, how can you claim he is qualified to criticize Danas decision (who watches better guys than Roger every 2 weeks) ?

8/12/13 1:54 PM
Lobo8

Edited: 08/12/13 1:54 PM
It doesnt matter who Rillion knows or who he trains. His criticism is not valid. Roger Gracie performed horribly in his fight, lost in all aspects, even on the ground. Roger is a high level Bjj guy but that doesnt matter in this issue. He clearly cant hang in the ufc and thats why he was cut.
8/12/13 5:16 PM
Mark Hunter
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSPsShadyHandWraps - "As far as his criticisms, Rilion's been coaching and assessing fighters since far before Dana had even heard of BJJ. So let's don't act like he's not qualified to criticize . . . that's a little bit silly. In the end, I'm sure he was just voicing frustration to Roger being cut prematurely by the UFC."

Roger got his ass kicked (even on the ground) in his UFC debut so if that is the standard of fighters Rillion has coached, how can you claim he is qualified to criticize Danas decision (who watches better guys than Roger every 2 weeks) ?

Assuming you're not trolling . . . Roger's not the only guy Rilion has coached, so why would you ever gauge Rilion's qualifications on how one fighter fought on one night? The bottom line is that Roger gassed, and lost. I'm sure Rilion wasn't pleased with Roger's performance.
8/12/13 5:25 PM
Mark Hunter

Lobo8 - It doesnt matter who Rillion knows or who he trains. His criticism is not valid. Roger Gracie performed horribly in his fight, lost in all aspects, even on the ground. Roger is a high level Bjj guy but that doesnt matter in this issue. He clearly cant hang in the ufc and thats why he was cut.

So one of Rilion's fighters performs poorly on one night, and Rilion (rather than the fighter who performed poorly) suddenly doesn't have a valid opinion . . . after being involved in vale tudo/NHB/MMA for going on three decades? Would that standard be in place for Gregg Jackson, or Miletich, or other coaches? You're either a teenager, or just a guy that doesn't care for the Gracies.

I'm not sure how long you've followed this sport, but there has been more than one fighter that had a poor first appearance in the UFC and has came back to do just fine. Roger should have never been cut after one fight. He did fine in the first round. He gassed . . . bottom line.

It seemed a little premature to me to cut him after that fight, but that's just one man's opinion. I was surprised that he didn't get one more fight before being cut. If he showed up and gassed again, then Dana would have known that it wasn't a fluke. In the meanwhile, the entire BJJ world would probably have paid for the PPV to see him fight.
8/12/13 9:36 PM
Stipe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool info, Mark.

However in this case I must say, the way Rillion phrased his whole point seems miles away from the way you put it.
You seem reasonable, he seems like he's throwing a weird and bad tantrum.
8/12/13 11:28 PM
tenchu
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gamebred - 
MMARAIDER - 
AokiPants -

And the Gracie Challenge matches.

PS: Roger was understandably cut from the UFC.
8/13/13 12:02 AM
TopChute
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know how bad the UFC is a promoting fights? Fighters on the next card are getting asked when they're fighting next on the street.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.