UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bisping: Machida needs to change his style

8/5/13 11:11 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Lyoto Machida lost a close decision to Phil Davis at UFC 163, a decision many thought should have gone in favor of the Brazilian. Whether you believe the judging was bad or not, UFC middleweight Michael Bisping believes it may have been Machida's style that lost him the fight:

His words on FUEL TV's UFC 163 post-fight show:

"Lyoto didn't do enough in this fight. He was hanging around and letting Davis do his work. Davis impressed me with his striking. Machida wasn't overly active. Maybe he needs to change his style. I didn't see the killer instinct. He needs to be more aggressive. He's too reserved and too hesitant."

Machida has often been criticized for his elusiveness and preference to counter strike as opposed to pressing the action. That strategy, however, has proven successful for "The Dragon" in the past, leading him to a UFC Light Heavyweight championship back in 2009.

read entire article...

8/5/13 11:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Vote Ups for Zimmerman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping vs Machida

8/5/13 11:17 PM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vote Ups for Zimmerman - 

Bisping vs Machida

Please! Bisping loses to guys that Machida hasn't or wouldn't, and shouldn't be running his mouth.
8/5/13 11:23 PM
NukSooCow
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's right. Machida was coasting and hesitating. All champs and potential champs should take a cue from Mighty Mouse. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 11:25 PM
Mookie Blaylock
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at Bisping.  He needs to change his style.

I love how Machida fights.  And he was robbed of a win by stupid judges.

8/5/13 11:28 PM
UGCTT_Shope
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ten eight round - Bisping=GOAT

Tellin' it like it is. Phone Post
Lol @ GOAT Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 11:32 PM
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GOAT = Guy Observing Another's Title?

8/5/13 11:32 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's right.
8/5/13 11:34 PM
Mookie Blaylock
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never been bored by a Machida fight.  I enjoy his style.  He's smart.  He avoids punishment and he dishes out a lot of it.

8/5/13 11:34 PM
KrisDonahoo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First and (presumably) only time I'll ever agree with The C(o)unt on anything. Machida tries to win fights by winning the only 30-45 seconds in total that he actually engages, and that's why he loses fights to Rampage and Davis. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/13 11:38 PM
ausgepicht

Whoa. This may be the first time Bisping said something that makes sense and I agree with. 

8/5/13 11:52 PM
kinson

Machida is boring as hell. Phone Post
8/6/13 12:45 AM
flyingtoehold
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida needs to go to bellator. Phone Post
8/6/13 12:45 AM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spot on, mate.

Bisping knows.

8/6/13 3:23 AM
newtotheinterweb

Mookie Blaylock -

I've never been bored by a Machida fight.  I enjoy his style.  He's smart.  He avoids punishment and he dishes out a lot of it.

But the problem is he's not dishing out any damage lately. If he was he wouldn't be ending up with these close decisions. By being so elusive your giving away 2 judging criteria straight away in the judges eyes, aggression and octagon control. He needs to either get more aggressive again or at least pick up his counter striking. Cos staying out of range all night is asking to be on the wrong end of a decision Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 5:36 AM
Arlovskis Chin
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KrisDonahoo - First and (presumably) only time I'll ever agree with The C(o)unt on anything. Machida tries to win fights by winning the only 30-45 seconds in total that he actually engages, and that's why he loses fights to Rampage and Davis. Phone Post 3.0
That's EXACTLY what Davis did. He won round 2 with 10 seconds of GnP which only half came close to landing. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 5:37 AM
DanTheWolfman

And MAchida drops to to 185 to fight Bisping.........................................
8/6/13 6:03 AM
painfulapathy

He's an analyst for FOX he gets paid to give his opinion and lets be fair he's right! Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 6:23 AM
Y2JB

I'm glad that the judges didn't reward Machidas back pedaling style. If your refuse to engage as much as he does, you should lose the fight. If his opponent fought the same way, there wouldn't be a strike thrown.
8/6/13 6:56 AM
Ninja Tea Party

I fucking love Machida's style. But then I also love GSP's. I'm what's wrong with MMA aren't I? :(
8/6/13 7:23 AM
JTRipper
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

painfulapathy - He's an analyst for FOX he gets paid to give his opinion and lets be fair he's right! Phone Post 3.0
This, as an analyst he's entitled to give his opinion even if I don't necessarily agree. It's not as if he just brought this up in an interview by himself Phone Post 3.0
8/6/13 7:54 AM
Koreanflash

Bisping speaks the truth. Machida's style is great for avoiding damage, but it's boring as shit. I'd compare Machida to Lennox Lewis IF Lewis didnt' engage his opponent for all but 30 seconds a round.

How can Machida expect to win if he doesn't do any damage? Machida had only one offensive outburst the entire round. If he had went full 'Wanderlei' mode he probably would have KO'd Davis. Instead, he's going to go down as one of the most disappointing fighters in UFC.
8/6/13 8:03 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum

IMO, Machida-kun destroys Bisping in 2 rounds.

8/6/13 8:10 AM
Big Pookie
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping has a point. Machida needs to understand that TDs that result in zero damage are worth more than anything else. Even if you've been out classing your opponent everywhere. It doesn't matter. If you got taken down, you're going to lose the fight.
8/6/13 8:21 AM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is just flat out wrong, his slow elusive style isn't what brought him to a title...

To remind everyone who might forget, he had a four fight decision streak going into his Sokoudjou fight, subbed him, then had the decision against Ortiz for a total finish rate of just under 50% if you don't count a wierd TKO he got from an earlier opponent passing out lol

He had a nearly perfect TDD, perfect accuracy and was pretty much never hit. Everyone criticised him for being boring and constantly debated how talented he was....

Then he ruined Thiago's shit
Then he ruined Rashad's shit
Then he had the Shogun wars
Then a slower fight against rampage where we saw a return to his elusive form, but a beautiful flurry at the end showing he still had his KO chops
Then the Karate kid crane-kick KO against Couture lol
Then the JJ fight
Then he wrecked Bader's shit...

He really transformed himself from a primarily defensive fighter to an incredibly effective counter-striker. His father even gave a whole interview on how him and Lyoto discussed this as a natural development of his style. How mastery begets the progression from avoiding strikes to countering strikes...

I don't think he needs to change his style back to his old ways, so much as keep the momentum going he's gained over the past few years becoming such an effective counter striker -- there was a great Jack Slack piece on how his counters embodied the one-strike-one-kill Karate philosophy and to elude strikes with a counter instead of dodging.

Right now I feel like he's in limbo. Same with the Rampage fight. He's no longer just dancing outside of range, but mixing up bait strikes very well nd waiting for his chance to pounce. He just seems gunshy in some fights.

And ya, he'd ruin Bisping all day any day. I can't imagine Bisping's striking and footwork particularly hard for Lyoto to capitalize on.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.