UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Barao: Cruz plans to fight in Feb of 2014

8/7/13 12:19 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has not fought since late in 2011, due to two AClL surgeries. UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao has fought four times since then, but also had to pull out of a bout due to injury, vs. Eddie Wineland at UFC 161 on June 15. That fight has been rescheduled for UFC 165 on September 21 in Toronto, and Barao says he is "100 percent healed."

Cruz flew to Brazil to attend UFC 163 last Saturday, and met with Barao. According to Barao, Cruz will be fighting in Feb of 2014.

"We only exchanged a few words because my English isn’t that good," Renan told MMAFighting.coml. "He told me he’s returning on February. I was really happy to hear that. I hope he can return so we can finally fight."

However, Cruz's head coach said 'The Dominator' not pushing things beyond his doctor's orders.

"It's a guess," Del Fierro told Damon Martin via text message. "There is no date set, hopefully sooner rather than later. Just progressing as doctor allows."

In any case, Barao has something more immediate than Cruz to think about.

"My focus now is on Wineland. He’s a tough dude, has been doing great fights. I’m well-trained and I will set a good strategy to do my best on Sept. 21."

However, Cruz said that Barao "misunderstood due to the language barrier," and that the return is just a goal at the moment.

"Right now I'm doing no weight-bearing training," said Cruz. "That's why I'm just getting cleared to grapple now because grappling would be considered weight-bearing exercises."

8/7/13 12:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
707 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rip june carter barao.

The dominator 2

Judgement day Phone Post
8/7/13 12:22 AM
12SixElbow
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unable to fight for 3 years... retains belt.

WTF

8/7/13 12:24 AM
Ip Man 81
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CRUZ GUNNA

DESTROY BARAO Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 12:26 AM
707 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ip Man 81 - CRUZ GUNNA

DESTROY BARAO Phone Post 3.0
This is your dirst post I wanted to vtfu

Alas I cant because im on android app Phone Post
8/7/13 12:29 AM

12SixElbow -

WTF

AH AH AH Phone Post
8/7/13 12:31 AM
in_different
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to see Cruz come back and run shop on the bantamweights. Come back better than ever and cement his legacy.
8/7/13 1:07 AM
Herman Munster

LOL at Cruz "guna destroy" anyone. The only thing Cruz has destroyed as Champ is his knee from the way he rides his bicycle in the octagon. "The Decisionator" destroying Barao off 3 years. Put down the kool aid.
8/7/13 1:24 AM
MasterofMartialArts
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

WTF

Lol

The longer he's out, the more Barao improves. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 1:27 AM
Herman Munster

mma interpreter - 
Herman Munster - LOL at Cruz "guna destroy" anyone. The only thing Cruz has destroyed as Champ is his knee from the way he rides his bicycle in the octagon. "The Decisionator" destroying Barao off 3 years. Put down the kool aid.
He made freshly crowned WEC bantamweight champ Brian Bowles quit after the second round because of a broken hand. Come on now, everyone fucking fights through that shit if they want to win. Bowles had taken a two-round ass whooping and didn't want any more, so he quit and gave up the belt he had just recently won.

This decisionator thing is bullshit and you know it. Who at TriStar are you pretending to support that makes you dislike Cruz? Phone Post

When was the last time Bowles had a big win? Shit the bed vs Faber, was just destroyed by Roop. Lived off a win over Torres who has faded into obscurity. Please do a little better than this to disprove him as "the decisionator". You really think he is going to destroy Renan Barao? Tristar has no one at 135 who will make a run at the title any time soon. Maybe Zahabi's younger bro in a few years, but that's still a ways away. This has zero to do with a Tristar bias. I simply respect Barao more than Cruz and consider him as the real Champ at 135.
8/7/13 2:38 AM
minotauro11
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mma interpreter -
Herman Munster - LOL at Cruz "guna destroy" anyone. The only thing Cruz has destroyed as Champ is his knee from the way he rides his bicycle in the octagon. "The Decisionator" destroying Barao off 3 years. Put down the kool aid.
He made freshly crowned WEC bantamweight champ Brian Bowles quit after the second round because of a broken hand. Come on now, everyone fucking fights through that shit if they want to win. Bowles had taken a two-round ass whooping and didn't want any more, so he quit and gave up the belt he had just recently won.

This decisionator thing is bullshit and you know it. Who at TriStar are you pretending to support that makes you dislike Cruz? Phone Post
What? The ref stopped that fight. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 3:14 AM
Eggbert
678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I need to go back and watch Cruz fights. I don't even remember how he fights it been so long Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 3:22 AM
BeatonHauff
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mma interpreter -
Herman Munster -
mma interpreter - 

When was the last time Bowles had a big win? Shit the bed vs Faber, was just destroyed by Roop. Lived off a win over Torres who has faded into obscurity. Please do a little better than this to disprove him as "the decisionator". You really think he is going to destroy Renan Barao? Tristar has no one at 135 who will make a run at the title any time soon. Maybe Zahabi's younger bro in a few years, but that's still a ways away. This has zero to do with a Tristar bias. I simply respect Barao more than Cruz and consider him as the real Champ at 135.
Idk if he'll beat Barão, but I know he can. It depends on how he comes back. A healthy Dom can beat anyone @135.

Check his record yourself to see he's not the Decisionator. Phone Post
In his last ten fights he's finished two, he tkoed the great Kenneth aimes, then the Bowles fight. I wouldn't call him a finisher. Phone Post
8/7/13 3:52 AM
CRE

I am actually really excited for Cruz to return, the sport has been missing him.

Not too sure if he can beat Barao with so much ring rust though
8/7/13 3:54 AM
CRE

MMA Lives Here - lol @ destroys Barao

What's he gonna do, take him down and get STFO?

Kneebar anyone? Phone Post 3.0

Pepper Barao from the outside, use deceptive footwork and head movement to setup awkward combinations from weird positions.

Then when Barao is reactive to Cruz he will use heavy feinting to setup takedowns, from top position Cruz will look to control the fight and dominate.

That's what the best Cruz would do to him probably.
8/7/13 3:56 AM
CRE

Also Cruz could use a wrestler's pace and conditioning to break Barao, the variety of atttacks and angles could prove to be too much for Barao who at this stage of his career is still very green and vulnerable in comparison to a dominant linear champ.

Barao may or may not do better than that ninja who challenged Cruz.

8/7/13 4:58 AM
ChaosOverkill
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/07/13 5:00 AM
DanGold - Wait Cruz is gonna have two and a half years off, come back and then start finishing fights instead of winning decisions?

Unlikely, IMO.

this, ring rust breeds killer instinct now? LOL at "destroy" since he entered the WEC he destroyed one guy, the rest are decisions.

I admit he's skilled and very well may win, but destroy? Fat chance.

8/7/13 6:05 AM
MMALOGIC

you cant come back from that much of a layoff and expect to beat a guy like Barao.  Cruz will be the underdog going into this fight.

8/7/13 7:03 AM
Herman Munster

mma interpreter - 
Herman Munster -
mma interpreter - 

Idk if he'll beat Barão, but I know he can. It depends on how he comes back. A healthy Dom can beat anyone @135.

Check his record yourself to see he's not the Decisionator. Phone Post

His last finish was in 2010 vs Bowles.  Bowles has proven he is not the force people once thought he was...not a big pressure fighter for sure...prior to that the last finish for Decisionator goes back to 2008 vs Kenneth Aimes...if GSP can be labeled a decision fighter, there is no question Dominick Cruz can.  I don't even know how this is debatable.  Cruz at his best isnt beating anyone more impressively than Barao handling his opponents.  Clearly Decisionator has been away far too long, and we are now delusional as to what type of fighter we think he is.  Destroy Barao...easily the toughest opponent he will face in his career at 135... Funny.

8/7/13 7:33 AM
H@GG!S

I really like Dominic but knowing he's gonna be out another while yet, they really should have taken the belt off him for the time being to keep that division moving and offer him number one contender for when he comes back if he wants it or a warm up fight first etc.

I'm shocked they let him keep it for this long tbh.
8/7/13 9:47 AM
buckshot44
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who is this Cruz you speak of?

8/7/13 10:46 AM
Y2JB

I've always enjoyed Dom's fights. His footwork and head movement are second to none.
8/7/13 10:51 AM
Herman Munster

Yes, no one in the history of fighting has ever had better footwork or head movement than Cruz.  Cruz>Sugar Ray Leonard.

8/7/13 11:09 AM
Karl Olsson
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtf is up with that picture :S
8/7/13 2:31 PM
A bag of ricin
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ending of that GIF is funny. It looks like Barao is looking at the camera guy thinking: when is this guy going to go already? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.