UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Malki Kawa on UFC vs. Bellator

8/7/13 9:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fight! UK Online
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/07/13 9:12 AM

I thought this was pretty informative reading. Kawa is often outspoken, but he doesn't go crazy here, and makes some interesting points:

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/manager-malki-kawa-weighs-in-on-ufc-vs-bellator-and-distance-between-the-two

"I had a guy headlining a Bellator card a few years ago that was in his hometown. He asked for four extra tickets for his kids to go to the show, and they said no. They said to have him buy them. I've sat around and waited for 45 minutes for vans to come pick up fighters. Undercard guys who weren't given a per diem. Situations where there was no transportation to a place where a fighter could cut weight, and he had to end up paying for access to the hotel facilities. I watched guys get told certain things and them not come through on it. I've watched them promise sponsorship to guys, and it not come through. I've never seen any of that in the UFC.

"I don't want to smash Bellator. I just want people to understand there's a real difference between Bellator and the UFC. I'm not trying to say one is better just because they're bigger or whatever, I'm just saying the UFC has figured it out. They have a lot of stuff that's already been done correctly, where with Bellator I think they're still learning and growing as they go. So when I watch these guys talk about the UFC and how their boss doesn't put stress on them, a lot of it to me is just a lot of bulls---. I know Dana White can be abrasive and aggressive and all that type of stuff, but it doesn't mean you're not able to work with the guy."
8/7/13 9:42 AM
Hikikomori
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malki talks a lot of shit. It will be funny when Zuffa suggests Jones fire Malki. JDs fired Ed Sores claiming he no longer needed a manager because dealing with the ufc was so easy. GSP and Edgar fired Sherri Spencer... Phone Post
8/7/13 9:56 AM
UK Asylum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I had a guy headlining a Bellator card a few years ago"

Im no expert, but im sure its improved.
8/7/13 9:57 AM
funk samurai

Milky Cowa is a moron
8/7/13 10:45 AM
overstander

UK Asylum - "I had a guy headlining a Bellator card a few years ago"

My thoughts exactly, im sure they've gottin it together a lot better since then.

i cant wait for zuffas counter programming, and if Bellator succeeds and grows, will force the UFC to sharpen up there game and get off these watered down cards and bring the heat.
8/7/13 10:59 AM
gokudamus

malki is a snake...he will do or say whatever to keep the jon jones gravy trane rolling - even if that means sacrificing the success of his other fighters

8/7/13 11:05 AM
JStrongMMA

Well...Viacom hasn't owned the company for even two years yet so there is no sense in talking about how things were done prior. That would be like talking shit on how the UFC treats fighters when your only experience with the company was pre-Zuffa. Phone Post
8/7/13 12:38 PM
YonYones
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Malki, manage a fighter who isnt in the top 10 in their respective division and then lets hear your opinion
8/7/13 12:45 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor

In before MMALOGIC

8/7/13 1:01 PM
Don_Dada
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't this guy only let UFC fighters sign with his management company? lol Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 1:16 PM
Pat Giles
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

overstander -

My thoughts exactly, im sure they've gottin it together a lot better since then.

i cant wait for zuffas counter programming, and if Bellator succeeds and grows, will force the UFC to sharpen up there game and get off these watered down cards and bring the heat.
Put a free watered down UFC card on the same night as a bellator card with askren. Chandler. King mo. Guarantee UFC Has more views. I enjoy bellator but they are not a close 2nd by any means. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 1:16 PM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I represent undercard guys, main-event guys and champions. The champions are getting paid pretty well, and most of my guys that deserve it are getting it. But the guys that deserve more money aren't the undercard guys. They're the guys that are carrying these cards, the headliners and the co-main event guys. These guys that are getting paid $50,000 instead of $300,000 or $400,000 to fight, those are the ones I think deserve to be paid more money. Sure, the UFC always rewards them with a nice discretionary bonus, but the guaranteed contracts can be negotiated, too."

Exaclty my point thank you Malki
8/7/13 1:27 PM
CrazyMikeMMA
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UK Asylum - "I had a guy headlining a Bellator card a few years ago"

I'm not going to touch fighter pay, or talk about the UFC. But every time I've been on Bellator's cards, shuttles for saunas, etc.. were available, as was access to scales and workout areas. Fight shuttles were on time, I've even made friends with most of their regular drivers. Everything was incredibly professional and still approachable, top to bottom. I dont know, since I'm a relative newcomer to them, what it was like beforehand, but a lot of this definitely doesn't ring true anymore. Just my two bits. I have never been on a UFC card, so I can't make any comparisons, just relay what I experienced. Phone Post
8/7/13 2:13 PM
MattyECB
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pat Giles - 
overstander -

Put a free watered down UFC card on the same night as a bellator card with askren. Chandler. King mo. Guarantee UFC Has more views. I enjoy bellator but they are not a close 2nd by any means. Phone Post 3.0

What you just described though, it's what's going to make UFC's competition interesting in the future...

As UFC expands, picks up more fighters and raises the fight cards to the point where instead of stacked cards, we're now getting cards with one big-name fight and then a bunch of, "Stop criticising these no-names before you see them," fights -- there's going to be two interesting forces imo...

UFC is fishing with a wider net so there's less available prospects to sneak through and support up and coming Orgs, leaving mainly unrealised talent and disgruntled Ex-UFCers like Page and Tito for smaller Orgs,

But also, there's going to be a huge opportunity for Bellator and these Orgs to try and do a big promotional push and set up a free card with equal or better names while the UFC promotes one of its watered down PPVs -- which from the trend I'm seeing, will only worsen and continue

UFC cards are already pick and choose for me when it's a 60$ price tag, or at least something I'll do with free-time when I can go to a bar, but that I'll no longer skip my own wedding for lol

More mainstream MMA means more people realise there's other Orgs and these free cards or cheap-PPVs suddenly become viable imo
8/7/13 2:15 PM
MattyECB
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JStrongMMA -  Well...Viacom hasn't owned the company for even two years yet so there is no sense in talking about how things were done prior. That would be like talking shit on how the UFC treats fighters when your only experience with the company was pre-Zuffa. Phone Post

Wasn't Bjorn always heading it though?

A lot of the criticism towards Bellator seems to stem from contractual obligations and Bjorn's handling as opposed to promotional power, gratuities and baseline pay.

I'm not sure how much changed after Viacom, or really, if the parts Maliki focused on are even that relevant to what ppl bitch about with Bellator, but iunno. His comments here seemed pretty reasonable for how much of a douche he is
8/7/13 2:36 PM
PrettyBoy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is commenting why? I don't understand how any fighter would have this dummy managing their career. Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 2:53 PM
YHTOMIT2001
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CrazyMikeMMA -

I'm not going to touch fighter pay, or talk about the UFC. But every time I've been on Bellator's cards, shuttles for saunas, etc.. were available, as was access to scales and workout areas. Fight shuttles were on time, I've even made friends with most of their regular drivers. Everything was incredibly professional and still approachable, top to bottom. I dont know, since I'm a relative newcomer to them, what it was like beforehand, but a lot of this definitely doesn't ring true anymore. Just my two bits. I have never been on a UFC card, so I can't make any comparisons, just relay what I experienced. Phone Post
Agreed. A per diem would've been nice tho Phone Post 3.0
8/7/13 3:45 PM
JimmersonzGlove
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Using an example from a Bellator card a few years ago is a bit of a stretch.

8/7/13 3:54 PM
CRE

There was a guy who fights for LFC who was on Fightmaster that was insulting the quality of the ROACH MOTEL the guys were staying in.

The UFC takes better care of their fans than Bellator does their fighters, this is the truth.

If you got a problem with it, then that's too bad, but the facts don't change based on your emotions.

8/7/13 3:56 PM
CRE

Legacy: Talk to me about your reaction with regards to Matt Riddle pulling out your fight at Legacy FC 21. What are your opinions on him "selling out" to Bellator?

Artenas Young: It was going to be my birthday weekend, you know, my birthday just passed yesterday, so I was really excited for that fight. Matt Riddle is a big name and a guy I knew I could beat without a doubt. I feel like he pulled a chump move, man. He pulled a backdoor move on Mick [Maynard], on myself, on everybody in Houston MMA that wanted to see a real big fight. Honestly, no disrespect to Bellator and the guys over there, because they're good guys, but their contracts suck. He's going to hate it and wish he stuck with his Legacy contract. He doesn't even have a fight scheduled right now.

Legacy: Speaking of Bellator, can you tell me about your experience on "Fight Master"? How were you cast for the show?

Artenas Young: It came out of nowhere. I wasn't looking for it and had never heard of it in my life. I got these weird calls and emails from people and I finally got in touch with them back. They were asking me if I was interested. At the time, I had never made 170. So I thought, “let me try and make 170 before I give you a definite answer.” Well, I made 170 for the Brandon Mitchell fight. The night that I finished him, I sent them video right away and showed them I could make 170. After that, they moved pretty quickly. They flew me out to LA., I did the casting and I made it [on to the show] there. Went on to the next stage, which was the medical stuff and ended up flying to New Orleans where it all went down. It was an overall good experience, but I didn't expect Bellator, Viacom, whoever is in charge of that, to cut as many corners as they did with us. Outside of where they took care of us personally, our amenities were very piss poor. We stayed in a “roach motel”. That was kind of strange; they were competing with “The Ultimate Fighter” and they have enough money to go big, but they just really didn't. Which leads me to my fight…

8/7/13 4:07 PM
TheKidAintMine
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/7/13 4:23 PM
B_Goetz

So there were some logistical problems on a card a few years ago. OK.
8/7/13 4:27 PM
JStrongMMA

MattyECB -
JStrongMMA -  Well...Viacom hasn't owned the company for even two years yet so there is no sense in talking about how things were done prior. That would be like talking shit on how the UFC treats fighters when your only experience with the company was pre-Zuffa. Phone Post

Wasn't Bjorn always heading it though?

A lot of the criticism towards Bellator seems to stem from contractual obligations and Bjorn's handling as opposed to promotional power, gratuities and baseline pay.

I'm not sure how much changed after Viacom, or really, if the parts Maliki focused on are even that relevant to what ppl bitch about with Bellator, but iunno. His comments here seemed pretty reasonable for how much of a douche he is
He was CEO since the beginning. ..which is a good point. I would imagine things are different since the Viacom buyout but who knows. Phone Post
8/7/13 4:35 PM
UK Asylum

CrazyMikeMMA - 

I believe you, Bellator has got alot more attention the last couple of years which means it has had to step its game up.

Something that happened a few years ago shouldnt be used negatively years later,evercompany has to start from the ground up.
8/7/13 5:16 PM
Global Shield
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some valid points made... But I love both the UFC and Bellator! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.