UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson Silva: 'I was out of control'

8/8/13 10:46 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva recently appeared on the Brazilian talk show Agora É Tarde, hosted by Danilo Gentili, and discussed in detail the loss to Chris Weidman, and subsequent events.

The text below comes courtesy of MMA Station, which translated the interview to Enlish, and uploaded it with subtitles.

Silva discussed the KO in the Octagon immediately after the fight, and numerous times since, so Gentili asked what was worse, being KOed or being asked the same questions so many times?

“There will always be questions." replied a relaxed and good natured Silva. "Fans, people, they want to know what happened. But being knocked out is worse because you can’t remember. There is just a black out. And then when you wake up, you’re like: ‘Uh? What happened? The fight is over?’ And the ref says: ‘Yeah, it’s over and you lost.’ But how? Then the ref says: ‘Yeah, you’re knocked out.’ BUT HOW? The ref then answers: ‘You took a big shot and fell to the mat.’”

A video has gone viral in Brazil, and worldwide, of a young, disconsolate Brazilian fan crying about the loss.

Silva reached out to the fan, tweeting this image.

"I’ve texted him and some other fans who called me," Silva explained to the host. "Unfortunately, it was a mistake and I paid a high price for it. It was a technical mistake, but it shouldn’t have happened…but happened. The truth is…the charge that people put on me due to my previous performances was tremendous. So…in this way when you make a mistake people just don’t understand. It was an unintentional thing. I’ve never said that I was the best in the world or that I was unbeatable.”

Silva then went on the describe technically what went wrong. While his reply is not as memorable as that of Jack Roper who upon waking up from a meeting with Joe Louis said "I zigged when I should have zagged," Silva related what went wrong, technically and mentally.

“I stood with my legs parallel when I had to do a step back instead to dodge the punch that KO’d me. Anyways, it was a sequence of events that led me to what happened. All the pre-fight tension and that feeling that makes you want to explode during the fight…During the round breaks, I always go back to my corner. But this time, I didn’t come back to my cornermen.

"I came back to argue with Weidman, asking him to keep the fight on the feet, saying, ‘let’s strike, let’s give a good show,’ when actually I needed to come back to my corner, to get some instructions. I shouldn’t have been there, discussing with Weidman. I should have calmed down to receive the instructions in order to do the right things in the second round. And I didn’t do that. So I think I was out of control, lost my temper a little bit.” 

8/8/13 10:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NINOPLATA???

8/8/13 10:58 AM
pitbullismyfather
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When that video first came out Anderson tweeted something like " sometimes a loss can teach more than a victory, keep fighting" Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 11:11 AM
Pirate Slave
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At great risk of sounding like I'm hanging on the guys balls, I think this interview really illustrates the true mark of a champion. AS was obviously frustrated and emotional after the loss and it seemed as if he acted out of character in post-fight appearences, but he eventually humbled himself and continues to look within for the answers to what happened in that fight. I suspect the only thing he was missing to complete him as a legendary fighter was a defeat, and a revival of spirit. Look for AS to be more dangeeous than ever when he regains "control" again. Phone Post
8/8/13 11:16 AM
TheRealMrBeefy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman got his lucky punch KO in this first fight, and he knows it. I would not expect Silva to be fucking around like that again in the rematch.

Weidman needs to put Silva on his back and keep him there in the rematch! Silva will be going for the kill on the feet.... Phone Post
8/8/13 11:25 AM
Sippi Boy
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheRealMrBeefy - Weidman got his lucky punch KO in this first fight, and he knows it. I would not expect Silva to be fucking around like that again in the rematch.

Weidman needs to put Silva on his back and keep him there in the rematch! Silva will be going for the kill on the feet.... Phone Post
Have you ever seen Andy fight? How was the weidman fight any different from any of his others, besides of course when he got knocked out? Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 11:28 AM
Lazer MMA

Edited: 08/08/13 11:30 AM

"So…in this way when you make a mistake people just don’t understand. It was an unintentional thing"

Some fish on the UG say:
"He's trolling, he lost on purpose" LMFAO @ their dumb asses!

Notice to he says his mistake was not taking a step back only, not clowning (which to AS is just luring so he could counter).

Some fish on the UG say:
"He was never trying" LMFAO @ their dumb asses!

Like it was the first time he did that as well.
8/8/13 11:30 AM
Rudi

Zed Wayne Zed - He is crying over a loss in a fight?

Wow, life is gonna remain tough for this one for a long time.

A break-up might lead him to a bridge jump.
People cry over a fight all the time, are you new? Phone Post
8/8/13 11:32 AM
Sippi Boy
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA -
"So…in this way when you make a mistake people just don’t understand. It was an unintentional thing"

Some fish on the UG say:
"He's trolling, he lost on purpose" LMFAO @ their dumb asses!

Notice to he says his mistake was not taking a step back only, not clowning (which to AS is just luring so he could counter).

Some fish on the UG say:
"He was never trying" LMFAO @ their dumb asses!

Like it was the first time he did that as well.
See the realmrbeefy's comment above Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 11:34 AM
Ip Man 81

Sippi Boy -
TheRealMrBeefy - Weidman got his lucky punch KO in this first fight, and he knows it. I would not expect Silva to be fucking around like that again in the rematch.

Have you ever seen Andy fight? How was the weidman fight any different from any of his others, besides of course when he got knocked out? Phone Post 3.0
Have youuuuu seen Andy fight???

The Weidman fight was completely different. He went way overboard with the taunting and fucking around. Plus didn't really throw much while doing it. That was not the same Silva we have seen in the past. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 11:35 AM
warrendale

Sippi Boy -

When has AS ever pretended to be ko'ed during a fight? He did it over and over against Chris. If you can't see AS showed the least amount of respect for Chris than he did any other opponent of his, then you don't watch AS fights very well. Maybe you are one to have a few drinks. So maybe your eyesight isn't so good during his fights, but I assure you he was on another level of disrespect and unconcerned for what his opponent might do.

AS was acting and fighting with way more attitude than ever before. Reckless and out of control sums it up quit well. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 11:40 AM
Immaculata

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I can't wait for the rematch.
8/8/13 11:41 AM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ip Man 81 - 
Sippi Boy -

Have youuuuu seen Andy fight???

The Weidman fight was completely different. He went way overboard with the taunting and fucking around. Plus didn't really throw much while doing it. That was not the same Silva we have seen in the past. Phone Post 3.0

FWIW, he did land a counter left hook during the combo that put him out. 

8/8/13 11:41 AM
Mario Deveault

Ditto
8/8/13 11:42 AM
Quickash1t

Sippi Boy - 

One main difference besides the overboard clowning around, would be the lead up to the knock out.

The posistion of his feet were not where he normally would have had them. His mistake was that he never stepped back , that is something he normally would have done that never happened.

8/8/13 11:45 AM
Sippi Boy

Look I'm not knocking on Andy. I love him as much as the next guy.But it's very easy to say that it was a different Andy than any other fight, he's never got caught dancing around. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 11:47 AM
Sippi Boy

It's just very disrespectful and takes away credit from Weidman hearing the oh he just was reckless and wasnt serious etc. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 11:58 AM
Coranamo

Sippi Boy - It's just very disrespectful and takes away credit from Weidman hearing the oh he just was reckless and wasnt serious etc. Phone Post 3.0

unfortunately to many that's exactly what happened, weidman is obviously not the better striker of the two so it isn't an outlandish opinion
8/8/13 11:58 AM
JBax1991
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was drunk. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 12:05 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rematch is going to make GSP vs Serra II look like a close fight. Andy is going to whoop that ass. Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 12:05 PM
Sippi Boy

Coranamo -
Sippi Boy - It's just very disrespectful and takes away credit from Weidman hearing the oh he just was reckless and wasnt serious etc. Phone Post 3.0

unfortunately to many that's exactly what happened, weidman is obviously not the better striker of the two so it isn't an outlandish opinion
Lol ok bro Phone Post 3.0
8/8/13 12:23 PM
FatAttack513

I think the reason he was out of control is what happened in the first round. I think he didn't respect Weidman enough. He wasn't expecting to be taken down that quickly or get pounded on by Chris, and I'm sure that sub attempt didn't help either. I think that's what caused him to start talking shit about keeping the fight standing and giving the fans a good show. He knew Chris was a lot better on the ground than he thought he was. That being said I don't think Silvia will be farting around in the next fight. He will be coming out to smash Weidman. I don't know how Weidman is going to do in the next fight but I can't wait. Hope Weidman beats him again.
8/8/13 12:32 PM
kevsh
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Madrugadao - People keep saying "he always does that in every fight bla bla bla"

He does not against people on Weidmans level.

He clowned Forest, Bonner and Maia like that. Look at how he fought Hendo, Sonnen, Franklin and any other serious challenger. He took Weidman too lightly and paid the price.

Whether he wins or loses the rematch, you can guarantee it will not happen like that.

(Though knowing Anderson, he will probably clown again, just to prove he can)

I agree with this but what I still don't get is why he thought he could get away with it against Weidman?

Sure Chris is no Vitor, Hendo or Franklin on his feet but the way Silva goaded him was like he was facing a child. Anderson does his homework, he saw the Munoz fight, he must have known that Weidman has some weapons and presented at least some danger?

Maybe it's true that Anderson was looking for a way out. I'd never suggest he threw the fight, perhap he just gave his opponent a few too many gift-wrapped opportunities to end it.
8/8/13 6:24 PM
The Last Emperor

Coranamo - 

Better doesn't always mean more effective. Weidman is the only guy to knock out both Anderson and Urijah Hall. I think that speaks volumes on how effective his striking is.
8/8/13 6:36 PM
slamming

Madrugadao - People keep saying "he always does that in every fight bla bla bla"

He does not against people on Weidmans level.

He clowned Forest, Bonner and Maia like that. Look at how he fought Hendo, Sonnen, Franklin and any other serious challenger. He took Weidman too lightly and paid the price.

Whether he wins or loses the rematch, you can guarantee it will not happen like that.

(Though knowing Anderson, he will probably clown again, just to prove he can)
Exactly, the Weidman fight was him at his most cocky. He got away with it against slower guys but not someone as good as Weidman.

Rematch is going to see a different Silva. That's for sure. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.