UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey: I'm going to change the idea of what's hot

8/9/13 2:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The ideal body size and porportions are not hardwired, but rather are socially constructed.

The Venus of Willendor shows a hottie in 20,000 BC Mesopotamia.

Medieval painter Peter Paul Rubens captured the rubenesque standards of the time.

Red beans and rice didn't miss Marilyn Monroe in the 50s.

It doesn't take a scientist to see the trend that ends with Paris Hilton.

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey had a well-publicized struggle with weight issues as a teenager, and determined to do something about it, putting on weight, rather than dropping it, for a recent Maxim magazine cover shoot.

186_rondarousey_sl3

186_rondarousey_sl4

Rousey explained, during a recent Google hangout, in response to a fan who asked if Maxim objectifies women.

"No," explained Ronda. "I think it speaks to a truth of society that we’re sexual people and sexual beings and ladies in general are sexual and pretending we’re not isn’t doing us any justice or anything like that. And I think that Maxim emphasizes the sexuality of women but it doesn’t objectify them.

"And that’s one of the reasons for this shoot. I specifically got heavy for it. I was 143 for the ESPN Body shoot and I was 151 for the Maxim shoot and I did it on purpose. Because when i was 14, my idea of – the standard that I held to look like was what I perceived the guys my age to want. And I saw all of them reading Maxim and I never looked like any of those girls.

"I wasn’t looking at Dove commercials for what I should look like or what other girls said looked pretty. 'Oh no no you look fine' Yeah, your friends are gonna say that. You look at what you think guys want and that’s what you want to be. So I kinda think if I’m going to have any cultural impact at all then I’m going to have to change the idea of what’s hot in general.

"Because I look at all these girls doing Playboy and Maxim … they cut weight for these shoots! They don’t look like that all the time. So you are purposefully given an impossible expectation to be industry standard of what’s attractive, and you’re never going to be able to meet or maintain that standard. And you’re going to keep buying and buying and buying more things to try and keep that.

"So I thought that for the Maxim shoot I was going to specifically go out of my way to not diet and go and do that shoot exactly how I walked around all the time. That was a little bit heavier and I think that has a positive impact and doesn’t objectify them, it changes the standard of what they’re expected to look like.

"I had a terrible time with body image and self esteem and eating disorders and all that other stuff. I’ve been open about it up until this point and that’s why I try do do as much as I can for the Didi Hirsch Mental Clinic and people like that because it’s such an unaddressed problem and I struggled through it for so many years and felt so alone in it for so long and then I figured out it wasn’t just me it was everybody and it’s done on purpose.

"Women are purposefully made to feel terrible about themselves so they buy more things so they feel like they look better. And it shouldn’t be like that, and it’s not worth the effect that it has. So it’s extremely important to me."

Thanks to fightlinker.com for the transcription!

8/9/13 2:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KidPittsburgh
1195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is that article saying she's fat or that she's going to be fat? Im confused.
8/9/13 2:56 PM
epwar
578 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*Sigh* Here we go again.

8/9/13 2:57 PM
soliak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/09/13 2:58 PM

Rousey explained during a recent Google hangout, in response to a fan who asked if Maxim objectifies women.

"No," explained Ronda. "I think it speaks to a truth of society that we’re sexual people and sexual beings and ladies in general are sexual and pretending we’re not isn’t doing us any justice or anything like that. And I think that Maxim emphasizes the sexuality of women but it doesn’t objectify them.

8/9/13 2:58 PM
Leck Brosnar

So does this mean Ronda vs Rumble at rumbleweight in the upcoming years?
8/9/13 3:02 PM
Freeman
424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Out of all those physiques in the OP Rhonda most closely resembles Paris Hilton.

So what is she looking to change?

8/9/13 3:03 PM
Dead President
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

STFU already!! Phone Post 3.0
8/9/13 3:06 PM
HandyDarsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/9/13 3:10 PM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"So you are purposefully given an impossible expectation to be industry standard of what's attractive, and you're never going to be able to meet or maintain that standard."

The hypocrisy of this is mind-numbing. In a country with the highest percentage of obese people she's basically saying why bother trying to lose weight and look great when you can just be fat and unattractive and love it. Okay, I stretched a bit.

In any case, sure, I don't think women should starve themselves or go pyschotic trying to get into shape.

But a) it's not THAT hard to get in shape. Start by putting down that fried chicken and spend less than 5 hours each night watching brain-dead TV and b) start thinking less about your physical image and more about how better eating and living will make you into a healthier and likely happier human being.

The attitude of "love yourself for who you are" is part of the reason millions of people are fat, disgusting slobs.
8/9/13 3:10 PM
Whambo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it just me or is that Maxim cover shopped way too much? I know they're all shopped, but I had to read the cover to make sure that was even Ronda. They made her face totally different.

Maxim shops their photo's to the point you may as well be fapping to anime.
8/9/13 3:17 PM
TEX4N
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh -

Phone Post 3.0
8/9/13 3:24 PM
Lasko
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking forward to her retirement.

8/9/13 3:29 PM
mrjedens
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can she please lose already
8/9/13 3:33 PM
Elite Hunting

Whambo - Is it just me or is that Maxim cover shopped way too much? I know they're all shopped, but I had to read the cover to make sure that was even Ronda. They made her face totally different.

You're a fucking idiot.
8/9/13 3:38 PM
HandyDarsh
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ILoveJohnson'sJohnson - Where were u Guys when I was getting murdered by Ronda lovers in Mikes thread Phone Post 3.0
Sorry bro Phone Post 3.0
8/9/13 3:39 PM
TuLegit

HandyDarsh -

This is how I feel every time rouser talks. Phone Post 3.0
8/9/13 3:43 PM
mrjedens
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So ppl want me to take woman's mma seriously, but over half the articles and posts I read are about sex related questions or swimsuit and naked photo shoots.

we don't do all this crap with the men, is this a beauty pageant or a fighting sport?

self BEEP.
8/9/13 3:52 PM
Body Shots
595 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KidPittsburgh - Is that article saying she's fat or that she's going to be fat? Im confused.
This..

She looks like everyone else on Maxim haha Phone Post 3.0
8/9/13 3:54 PM
Dead President
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TuLegit -
HandyDarsh -

This is how I feel every time rouser talks. Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
8/9/13 3:54 PM
FOX Force Five
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was expecting a thread about moles coming back into fashion.

I very dissapoint.
8/9/13 3:57 PM
Whambo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elite Hunting - 
Whambo - Is it just me or is that Maxim cover shopped way too much? I know they're all shopped, but I had to read the cover to make sure that was even Ronda. They made her face totally different.

You're a fucking idiot.

Quality retort, I can tell you are mature and established individual.
8/9/13 4:06 PM
Rudi

Why the fuck is UG news posting about her everyday? Phone Post
8/9/13 4:07 PM
BasBang
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

soliak - 

Rousey explained during a recent Google hangout, in response to a fan who asked if Maxim objectifies women.

LOL!! Just epic.
8/9/13 4:08 PM
Leck Brosnar

Rudi -  Why the fuck is UG news posting about her everyday? Phone Post

Interest->traffic->money?
8/9/13 4:09 PM
catbath
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh boy... Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.