UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> What are your thoughts on Barry Windham?

8/9/13 6:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was a bit before my time when I was growing up, and even when he was in WCW we could hardly get coverage of it over in the UK. So my knowledge on the guy is limited.

But what are your thoughts on him?

Great Wrestler or not?

What matches of his should I watch?

Where did you rate him in his era? One of the best or just below that level?
8/9/13 6:33 PM
Marlo Sansfield
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/09/13 6:36 PM
One of the most natural talents ever.

As far as matches to watch, him and Flair had 3-4 5 star matches in 86-87. He also had some really good matches with Luger and I believe Steamboat.
8/9/13 6:48 PM
DreamMMA
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn shame the widowmaker will never be a finisher again. Phone Post 3.0
8/9/13 9:11 PM
Jack Skellington
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/09/13 9:13 PM
DreamMMA - Damn shame the widowmaker will never be a finisher again. Phone Post 3.0

I loved his Widowmaker gimmick, worlds better then the 'Stalker' gimmick he was shackled with in the late 90's.

People dont realize how big Barry was. At 6'5 he moved much faster & smoother then most smaller men. His dad was a big man too & taught Barry how to wrestle using skill over size. I first saw Barry as part of the 4 Horsemen; he was the short lived NWA Western States Heritage champion.

(Funny thing was Larry Zbyszko took the title with him to the American Wrestling Association and was even photographed with both the WSH and AWA title belts.)

Barry left the WWE (along with Mick Foley) after the infamous 'Montreal Screw Job' saying he couldn't work for a man like Vince. Barry proved he was much more then just Blackjack's kid.

8/9/13 9:15 PM
Jack Skellington
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any old school guys remember this?

VTFU if you do

8/9/13 9:53 PM
Stryfe
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't like Barry as a babyface but once he turned heel and started using the claw he was way over with me.
8/9/13 10:03 PM
Daht
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The switcheroo to try and steal the world title for Sid. Sadly it did not work, much to Sid's frustration.

Probably was Arn's idea.

NWO should have been forced to watch that match at some point during their fued with sting, was far better done than any "fake sting" they ever did.
8/10/13 1:35 AM
jju
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Skellington -

VTFU if you do

Probably been 20 years since I thought about that. Was that Halloween Havoc or Clash of the Champions? Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 3:19 AM
Ramirez83
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jju -
Jack Skellington -

VTFU if you do

Probably been 20 years since I thought about that. Was that Halloween Havoc or Clash of the Champions? Phone Post 3.0
Halloween Havoc 1990 I believe Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 3:28 AM
jju
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first PPV I ever got. I was so excited when my dad said we could get it. It was 19.99. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 9:33 AM
instantkarma
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramirez83 -
jju -
Jack Skellington -

VTFU if you do

I think you're right. Same show that had Luger vs Hansen IIRC. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 9:59 AM
Bendos Toothpick
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably most underrated of all time. Deserved better.
8/10/13 10:09 AM
Festus
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Flair and Arn talk about the horsemen being the greatest group of wrestlers to ever step foot in the ring they make it a point to make it clear the group they are referring to is Flair, Arn, Tully, and Barry. That tells some about just how good Windham was. Also the fact that it was that group inducted into the wwe hall of fame says what tgey think of Windham as a wrestler. Phone Post
8/10/13 7:03 PM
Jack Skellington

Festus -  When Flair and Arn talk about the horsemen being the greatest group of wrestlers to ever step foot in the ring they make it a point to make it clear the group they are referring to is Flair, Arn, Tully, and Barry. That tells some about just how good Windham was. Also the fact that it was that group inducted into the wwe hall of fame says what tgey think of Windham as a wrestler. Phone Post

Well he's no Paul 'Romeo' Roma ........ *cough*
8/12/13 5:39 AM
Couldabeen
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Skellington -
Festus -  When Flair and Arn talk about the horsemen being the greatest group of wrestlers to ever step foot in the ring they make it a point to make it clear the group they are referring to is Flair, Arn, Tully, and Barry. That tells some about just how good Windham was. Also the fact that it was that group inducted into the wwe hall of fame says what tgey think of Windham as a wrestler. Phone Post

Well he's no Paul 'Romeo' Roma ........ *cough*
Or Mongo McMicheal Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 6:07 AM
MisterDerp
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

West Texas Redneck Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 9:25 AM
dangerboy12
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was OK but even though he was big he looked soft and weak compared to wrestlers of the time, and really didn't have much charisma.

He was basically an average heel.
8/12/13 10:05 AM
Festus
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dangerboy12 - He was OK but even though he was big he looked soft and weak compared to wrestlers of the time, and really didn't have much charisma.

Which era windham are you referring too?

Barry not Kendall right? Horsemen barry and early 90's had a great look and movement. No homo Phone Post
8/12/13 11:59 AM
JJitsu
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramirez83 - 
jju -
Jack Skellington -

VTFU if you do

Mom ordered it for me THANK YOU MOM!

best thing I ever saw was on that ppv when  the steiners top rope bulldoged the Nasty boy onto a chair.

Windahm was an awesome worker in the massive steroids era, if he had done more he probably would have gotten farther, people wanted to see Sid Vicious and Lex Luger at the time and he wasnt that buff for a big guy, but he still held the NWA strap when WCW had a seperate worlds title and was respected as one of the best, think he was over in Japan.  He made the best version of the 4 horsemen.

8/12/13 12:31 PM
JJitsu
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/12/13 1:27 PM
dangerboy12
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Festus - 
dangerboy12 - He was OK but even though he was big he looked soft and weak compared to wrestlers of the time, and really didn't have much charisma.

Which era windham are you referring too?

Barry not Kendall right? Horsemen barry and early 90's had a great look and movement. No homo Phone Post

I remember when he first came to Crockett. As a kid, you don't notice ring work most of the time, but I do remember him being very bland as a good guy. As a bad guy, he just never seemed to be a menacing or villainous figure.

I'm sure the promoters and other wrestlers loved him, and looking at his matches now he was solid in the ring, he just didn't have the it factor. He is very much like Dustin Rhodes without a good heel gimmick. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but on the big stage, both guys were midcard heels at their very best.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.