UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC perception?

8/10/13 9:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bawls
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Instead, I see over-muscled steroid cases, covered with as many scary-looking tattoos as they could finance, grunting, throwing weight around, and engaging in copious public displays of ass-hattery. They have skulls on their shirts, or bandannas on their heads. Their entire posture is designed to intimidate. They are often fans of MMA, an activity which simulates street fighting for people who have managed to avoid actual street fights their entire lives.

The men for whom success isn’t even an option — the rural, the uneducated, the discarded — well, they choose a distended hyper-masculinity. They can’t take care of their children, but they can bench-press a small car. They can’t hold a job, but they can kick your ass under MMA rules. They’ll never ascend above the service class, but if you are walking down a narrow hallway towards them you will guaranteedly have to bump shoulders with them. It is the appearance of masculinity serving in the stead of its actuality, an unemployed gym rat living with his parents and riding a Hayabusa covered with tribal graphics to the 7-Eleven on Saturday nights."

from this..
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/04/hype-and-hypertrophy-how-lamborghini-lost-its-man-card/
8/10/13 9:31 AM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeez Phone Post
8/10/13 10:28 AM
crazydave
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Baruth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Jack Baruth (born November 8, 1971) is a former professional BMX racer, cycling instructor, and cycling/auto journalist, perhaps best known for writing the "One Racer's Perspective" and "BMX Basics" columns[1] for the National Bicycle League, for his regular (and sometimes controversial)[2] contributions to The Truth About Cars and for maintaining the now defunct bmxbasics website under his pen name Jim Boswell.[3] As of 2013, Jack Baruth is now a contributor to Road and Track magazine. On July 12, 2013, he became the temporary editor-in-chief of [[The Truth About Cars]] after previous chief, Bertel Schmitt, quit.

As a car racer, he races in the NASA, Koni Challenge, and Skip Barber Mazdaspeed Series.[1]

8/10/13 10:31 AM
7/13neverForget
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol what a pussy Phone Post
8/10/13 10:47 AM
OneSidedWar

Blah blah blah.....blah... Phone Post
8/10/13 10:53 AM
UGCTT_Messiah
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's talking about the douchey fans that try so hard to look like hardasses. Read the article.
8/10/13 12:05 PM
AlbertEinstein

I read the whole article. It's embarrassing but not surprising. I mean the whole content, not the jab at mma fans, which for the most part is entirely justified. Most of the mma fans I see, at least the ones who advertise it, are MASSIVE douchebags. That's why I don't even talk about mma in real life, unless someone asks about it.
8/10/13 12:27 PM
devilishstoner
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlbertEinstein - I read the whole article. It's embarrassing but not surprising. I mean the whole content, not the jab at mma fans, which for the most part is entirely justified. Most of the mma fans I see, at least the ones who advertise it, are MASSIVE douchebags. That's why I don't even talk about mma in real life, unless someone asks about it.

This.
8/10/13 12:35 PM
Bawls
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlbertEinstein - I read the whole article. It's embarrassing but not surprising. I mean the whole content, not the jab at mma fans, which for the most part is entirely justified. Most of the mma fans I see, at least the ones who advertise it, are MASSIVE douchebags. That's why I don't even talk about mma in real life, unless someone asks about it.

What are some of the specific things you disagree with in the article?
8/10/13 12:35 PM
QuadAces
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with the entire article. That said, I think his girlfriend is fucking a UGer. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 1:16 PM
AlbertEinstein

Bawls - 

He makes good points about people trying too hard to look like badasses. But for this I personally blame women. Guys act like douchebags because stupid girls fuck douchebags. Maybe it's the MTV culture or Hollywood that has brainwashed them, but that's just the way it is.

He also makes it sound like wanted to be strong in the gym is a bad thing, as if everyone that can bench 300+ is one of these pseudo-masculine guys.

"The actual “man’s work” of the world — winning wars, building businesses, feeding families, protecting the weak from the strong — is generally accomplished by men who can’t bench three hundred pounds. That’s not how Hollywood likes to play it, but that’s the way it is.
Of course, “man’s work” isn’t what it used to be. Forget the “war on women” you’re hearing about right now, although it may well exist. There’s been a “war on men” for the last fifty years, and it’s been more successful than any of the Middle Eastern adventurism which has burned up the lives of American men like so much unwanted firewood at the end of winter. A war against the ideas of manhood, fatherhood, responsibility, dependability. The traditional American man — think Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird — has been parodied, denigrated, humiliated, ironized, writen out of existence. It’s no longer pleasant or even feasible to emulate our grandfathers and their unashamedly masculine lives."

Hyperidealism, selective memory, and Leave it to Beaver syndrome is all I see in writing like this. This is the kind of stuff conservatives eat up though, so if you consider yourself conservative you probably find his writing brilliant.

One of the comments I thought displayed some of his hypocrisy:

"Yet the “men’s cars” he laments are the ones that bench 300 and have the automotive styling equivalent of neck tattoos.

Conversely, the cars that build businesses, put food on the table, protect their occupants, etc, are the ones that routinely get panned on these blogs because they aren’t fast enough or uniquely styled enough or exciting enough."
8/10/13 1:16 PM
AlbertEinstein

wanting not wanted
8/10/13 2:48 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlbertEinstein -
Bawls - 

He makes good points about people trying too hard to look like badasses. But for this I personally blame women. Guys act like douchebags because stupid girls fuck douchebags. Maybe it's the MTV culture or Hollywood that has brainwashed them, but that's just the way it is.

He also makes it sound like wanted to be strong in the gym is a bad thing, as if everyone that can bench 300+ is one of these pseudo-masculine guys.

"The actual “man’s work” of the world — winning wars, building businesses, feeding families, protecting the weak from the strong — is generally accomplished by men who can’t bench three hundred pounds. That’s not how Hollywood likes to play it, but that’s the way it is.
Of course, “man’s work” isn’t what it used to be. Forget the “war on women” you’re hearing about right now, although it may well exist. There’s been a “war on men” for the last fifty years, and it’s been more successful than any of the Middle Eastern adventurism which has burned up the lives of American men like so much unwanted firewood at the end of winter. A war against the ideas of manhood, fatherhood, responsibility, dependability. The traditional American man — think Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird — has been parodied, denigrated, humiliated, ironized, writen out of existence. It’s no longer pleasant or even feasible to emulate our grandfathers and their unashamedly masculine lives."

Hyperidealism, selective memory, and Leave it to Beaver syndrome is all I see in writing like this. This is the kind of stuff conservatives eat up though, so if you consider yourself conservative you probably find his writing brilliant.

"Yet the “men’s cars” he laments are the ones that bench 300 and have the automotive styling equivalent of neck tattoos.

Conversely, the cars that build businesses, put food on the table, protect their occupants, etc, are the ones that routinely get panned on these blogs because they aren’t fast enough or uniquely styled enough or exciting enough."
Agree mostly except the conservative reference, because the emasculation of the american male is typically associated with liberal attitude, not the gun totin' flag wavin' conservatives who are all about the traditional male role in society. I don't care one way or the other, but felt compelled to point that out. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 3:33 PM
pheonix5
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see my grandfather and his generation, (WW II) era, as men. Pride in their nation, worked hard, respected others, took care of their families, courageous and kind. True gentlemen. The traditional American Man as Einstein put it.

8/10/13 5:46 PM
Bawls

AlbertEinstein - 
Bawls - 

I like the thought you put into. You're right about the cars that build businesses.

When I look at the overall point he is making- I think it speaks to a few things.

- MMA is defining itself as the "let me bang bro" culture and the fighters are of this makeup. I don't necessarily agree with it (Lauzon is a perfect reason why), but I understand why the public would think it.

- Men have had their masculinity stripped. Consider a boy.. what does they love? Toy guns, fighting, etc.. You bring a toy gun into a school at 7 and what happens?

- Glamorization of Justin Bieber.. Instead of glamorizing real men doing real work.. That's why I loved the show "Dirty Jobs"

This could go on and on, but I certainly think that article captures a lot of what the American public thinks about MMA and its crowd.
8/10/13 5:50 PM
MasterofMartialArts
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

devilishstoner -

This.
This

I don't usually bring up MMA, or advertise it, but when I do, it is in good form. Unfortunately, all the world sees is the guys in bandanas walking around with their chest out. It's just a shame, because that's not what MMA is about at all. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 7:26 PM
AlbertEinstein

Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - 
AlbertEinstein -
Bawls - 

Agree mostly except the conservative reference, because the emasculation of the american male is typically associated with liberal attitude, not the gun totin' flag wavin' conservatives who are all about the traditional male role in society. I don't care one way or the other, but felt compelled to point that out. Phone Post 3.0

That's my point. It's the conservatives who are always complaining about the "pussification" of America, or emasculation. Liberals don't care. That's why I think conservatives will identify with his ideas more.

But insofar as his idea of mma fans go, I think we are all in agreement. I can't help but think TUF had an impact in this. The immaturity, needlessly breaking stuff to create "drama," pissing in each others' food. Yeah that's not going to attract douchebags to the sport at all. Or maybe it's just the nature of the sport. I'm sure a lot of people who would improve the average mma fan image consider themselves to "classy" to be mma fans. To a lot of people it is seen as more barbaric than boxing. IDK why. Boxing is just traditional I guess.
8/24/13 8:47 AM
Bawls

Need to bang Phone Post
8/24/13 8:51 AM
PhoqueME
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Working at a Starbucks where I'm instantly presumed gay these guys are even more of a douchebag too me but then I just drop some mma knowledge on them and its a whole different world. Literally every time I've done it I've learned that I know more than they do about the sport. Phone Post 3.0
8/24/13 10:11 AM
7/13neverForget

I talk about it all the time i watch all ufc events and bellator when i have time. I follow a fighter in each weightclass. I train. My friends are mostly drive by. My dad and his work mates are all into mma so i talk to him all the time. And even tell him when his friends are wrong about stuff.

My mom bought me an mma elite shirt thinking id like it. I toldhere thank you but those who do dont advertise. I wear it rarely its a nice looking blue shirt with a red srripe that says mma elite in white but the stigma is to douchey Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.