UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lauzon hopes hometown win leads to title shot

8/10/13 10:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Mass native Joe Lauzon is tied with Anderson Silva for most 'of the Night' performance bonuses, but has never received a title shot. 'JLau' hopes a big win in front of the hometown crowd at UFC on FOX Sports 1 leads towards one.

Matt McNulty of the NY Post has the story.

“People say the number one contender should always fight the champ, but that doesn’t work out like that,” Lauzon said. “People get injured, guys who are sometimes coming off of losses get title shots like Chael Sonnen. It’s not always about rankings”

“People always tell me how exciting my last fight was (with Jim Miller at UFC 155), but even thought I had a good fight with Miller, but I’m still coming off of a loss. Having an exciting fight is great, but it was still a loss.”

Now returning to his native Boston with a crowd determined to support him, the fringe lightweight contender is figuring out a new path to the title. After all, Lauzon is already a seven-year veteran of the UFC, and recent wins against Melvin Guillard and Jamie Varner have been squeezed between losses to Miller and Anthony Pettis.

On Aug. 17, he’ll be locked into the Octagon with Michael Johnson, an Ultimate Fighter alum from Season 12.

With the hometown crowd once again backing him, his fight with Johnson is likely a deal breaker for Lauzon as a contender.

“I’m coming off of a couple of a losses and a few good wins, I don’t care who it is, I just need to get a few wins together,” said the Bostonian. “Luck plays a big part of it, I need to stay healthy and not get injured. Then, who knows.”

Read entire article...

8/10/13 11:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Weiderloo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

couchpotato me says he should just focus on MJ

Dude's a sleeper imo
8/10/13 11:30 PM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm all for Joe Lauzon getting a title shot!
8/10/13 11:37 PM
MasterofMartialArts
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has some solid wins, he just needs to get a streak going, he will get a title shot eventually if he continues. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 11:46 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Win your next two/three fights and it will come. Phone Post
8/10/13 11:49 PM
CHiLLEN
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fingers crossed he gets a title shot within the next 3 or so fights.

I don't see Joe ever becoming champion (please prove me wrong Joe). Great fighter just doesn't have the tools to to grab that title or hang on to it if he does. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 11:56 PM
TuLegit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs to beat Pettis before he gets a shot. Unless Pettis beats bendo then Id be all for Pettis lauzon 2. Phone Post 3.0
8/10/13 11:59 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a gatekeeper, not even In the title picture Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 12:00 AM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a big fan of his, but he's got to get some top 10 wins first. Phone Post
8/11/13 12:01 AM
greco yeoman

Pretty sure he had a title shot against Florian Phone Post
8/11/13 4:56 AM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - He's a gatekeeper, not even In the title picture Phone Post 3.0

Nah guys like Guillard are gate keepers. Lauzon is just outside the top 10

8/11/13 6:46 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

Love Joe but getting beat by Miller who was absolutely schooled by the current champ doesn't help your cause. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 7:12 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pancake Syrup Ali -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - He's a gatekeeper, not even In the title picture Phone Post 3.0

Lauzon is a gatekeeper too. Melvin to his credit won 8/9 in the UFC and 5 straight, that's how you get into the top 10. Lauzon lost the majority of his highest profile and meaningful UFC fights (in terms of rankings).

Co-Main of UFC 155-loss
Main card of UFC 144-loss
Main card of UFC 136-win
Main card of UFC 123-loss
Main card of UFC 108-loss
Main event (Stephens)-win
Main event (Florian)-loss
Main card of UFC 63-win

MMA top 10, fuck no he's not close
UFC top 10, he's right on the outside behind Khabib. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 8:16 AM
Pikes
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Pancake Syrup Ali -

Lauzon is a gatekeeper too. Melvin to his credit won 8/9 in the UFC and 5 straight, that's how you get into the top 10. Lauzon lost the majority of his highest profile and meaningful UFC fights (in terms of rankings).

Co-Main of UFC 155-loss
Main card of UFC 136-win
Main card of UFC 63-win

Melvin won 5 in a row, and then got embarrassed by Lauzon. Since that loss, Melvin is 2-3. Troll much? Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 8:51 AM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe should get a titleshot. Bendos fights go 5 rounds. Id rather they were 5 awesome rounds.

Fuck rankings. I wanna see joe fight bendo even if mj wins Phone Post
8/11/13 9:28 AM
Damaynevent

Pikes -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Pancake Syrup Ali -

Co-Main of UFC 155-loss
Main card of UFC 136-win
Main card of UFC 63-win

Melvin won 5 in a row, and then got embarrassed by Lauzon. Since that loss, Melvin is 2-3. Troll much? Phone Post 3.0
Embarrassed? Melvin got caught, gave up his back and got subbed. Happens all the time, what's so embarrassing about that?

Lauzq Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 11:36 AM
Pikes
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damaynevent -
Pikes -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Pancake Syrup Ali -

Co-Main of UFC 155-loss
Main card of UFC 136-win
Main card of UFC 63-win

Embarrassed? Melvin got caught, gave up his back and got subbed. Happens all the time, what's so embarrassing about that?

Lauzq Phone Post 3.0
Melvin walked into that fight thinking it was an easy KO of the night waiting to happen, dancing to the cage without a care in the world. If I could find the article I'd bring up what he said before the fight but without a source I won't mention it. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 11:40 AM
Pikes

Pikes -
Damaynevent -
Pikes -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Pancake Syrup Ali -

Co-Main of UFC 155-loss
Main card of UFC 136-win
Main card of UFC 63-win

Lauzq Phone Post 3.0
Melvin walked into that fight thinking it was an easy KO of the night waiting to happen, dancing to the cage without a care in the world. If I could find the article I'd bring up what he said before the fight but without a source I won't mention it. Phone Post 3.0
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/7/2475540/ufc-136-preview-melvin-guillard-joe-lauzon

"With me, I know damn well he ain't about to come impose his will on me. That ain't happening. I'm definitely gonna impose my will and I'm gonna try to beat my record of a minute and a half this fight. I knocked Shane Roller out in a minute and a half and I'm gonna try to beat that record. I'm gonna try for the quickest knockout ever. Hopefully I can just walk and punch him in the face and he just falls." Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 12:46 PM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/11/13 12:47 PM
Joe is NOT getting fired with a loss but he should focus on either:

A) Getting a streak together. Theres no smelling a title shot for him if he cant pull 3 wins a a row.

B) Fighting as many fights as possible and getting that sweet $$$ even if is on prelims against weak opposition.

Pick your poison Joe!
8/11/13 1:02 PM
MrHughes1991
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude I'd love for Lauzon to be champion. We need a champ to go the fuck after people looking for the finish Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 1:16 PM
Seats Taken
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the article he actually says he needs to string a few wins together and see what happens. He admits that he has too many loses.

Read the article, UG Blog was being the UG Blog with the thread title. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 2:39 PM
sycotik
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrHughes1991 - Dude I'd love for Lauzon to be champion. We need a champ to go the fuck after people looking for the finish Phone Post 3.0
I concur... Phone Post
8/11/13 2:45 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damaynevent -
Pikes -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Pancake Syrup Ali -

Co-Main of UFC 155-loss
Main card of UFC 136-win
Main card of UFC 63-win

Lauzq Phone Post 3.0
Damn right it happens all the time, look at Melvin's record.

Very embarrassing. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 2:49 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck it, if Chael can get a title shot at 205, I wonder if Joe could make the cut to 145? Give him an instant shot at Aldo. That would be fight of the fucking century.
8/11/13 7:27 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Pikes -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Pancake Syrup Ali -

Co-Main of UFC 155-loss
Main card of UFC 136-win
Main card of UFC 63-win

Stick to the point dummy. The argument was that Melvin is a gatekeeper and Lauzon isn't. Lauzon never put together 5 straight UFC wins, lost the majority of his big fights, and went 1-2 after beating Melvin. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.