UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Georges St-Pierre paying for UFC 167 VADA testing

8/11/13 12:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DatSpider
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...out of own purse

One reporter asked me if I would be willing to be tested. I said yes, I would be willing to be tested with VADA," St-Pierre told MMAFighting.com. "I believe that VADA is the best anti-doping agency in the world. And I'm willing to be tested. You cannot be against [it]."

St-Pierre's UFC 167 dance partner, Johny Hendricks, wasted little time agreeing to St-Pierre's terms, and now the two are slated to undergo VADA testing prior to their winter welterweight clash, all on St-Pierre's dime.

"I'm ready to pay [for our testing] myself, because I'm the champion," St-Pierre said. "All from my purse, I paid for the tests because I'm the champion. That's why I'm ready, I'm ready to do it. That's a point I want to make.

"I wouldn't mind doing it for the rest of my career," he continued. "Of course it sucks. They can come anytime, you have to give your address and then [VADA representatives come] in the morning. It sucks. But it's my sport and it could be an inconvenience of my job, I'll do it no problem."
8/11/13 12:08 PM
DatSpider
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"A lot of people accuse me [of taking PEDs]. For me, when they accuse me, I take that as a compliment. I believe they compliment my athleticism. I want to prove also that it's possible to be champion without using drugs, and I know VADA is the most professional, it is the best for that."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/11/4609458/georges-st-pierre-paying-for-ufc-167-vada-testing-out-of-own-purse

8/11/13 12:09 PM
Rhys91
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP is the man. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 12:12 PM
DatSpider

Rhys91 - GSP is the man. Phone Post 3.0

Indeed,he's very classy. Hopefully all champions will follow his lead.
8/11/13 12:14 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hespect

8/11/13 12:16 PM
JStrongMMA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's hard not to like the guy. Phone Post
8/11/13 12:18 PM
Malvert the Janitor
860 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yet another BJ Penn contribution. This falls somewhere below making the shaka the universal hand gesture if MMA photos.

Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 12:19 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respect, that's not an easy thing to do. Phone Post
8/11/13 12:25 PM
DatSpider

JStrongMMA -  It's hard not to like the guy. Phone Post

I know, right? I'm not a fan of his chosen style inside the cage, but you can't question his character and ethics outside of it.
8/11/13 12:33 PM
wicketone
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is all great and everything but the only way to be sure is to be tested once a month year round. This testing leading up to a fight is a croc. Lets see if they would do that. I can guatantee there would not be one fighter willing to take out of competition testing year round. That's how you stop PED usage. Throwing money around like Robin Hood when you know to cycle off is just plain insulting for people in the know about such things. Phone Post
8/11/13 12:37 PM
Tad Ghostal
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wicketone -  This is all great and everything but the only way to be sure is to be tested once a month year round. This testing leading up to a fight is a croc. Lets see if they would do that. I can guatantee there would not be one fighter willing to take out of competition testing year round. That's how you stop PED usage. Throwing money around like Robin Hood when you know to cycle off is just plain insulting for people in the know about such things. Phone Post

I thought the whole point of VADA testing was that they have to know your whereabouts 365 days a year and can test you at any point? If GSP is only paying for testing in the lead up to the fight then you're right, it's pointless.
8/11/13 12:38 PM
The Persian Devil
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/11/13 12:38 PM
Do they test for HGH?
8/11/13 12:41 PM
Tad Ghostal
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, the cynic in me thinks that GSP has enough money to beat any test.
8/11/13 12:41 PM
Tad Ghostal

The Persian Devil - Do they test for HGH?

Yes.
8/11/13 12:43 PM
Tad Ghostal

Tad Ghostal - 

Yes.

Although, as far as I understand it, HGH it only detectable for a very short space of time anyway.
8/11/13 1:05 PM
DatSpider

wicketone -  This is all great and everything but the only way to be sure is to be tested once a month year round. This testing leading up to a fight is a croc. Lets see if they would do that. I can guatantee there would not be one fighter willing to take out of competition testing year round. That's how you stop PED usage. Throwing money around like Robin Hood when you know to cycle off is just plain insulting for people in the know about such things. Phone Post

Tell me about another athlete who is tested once a month year round? That seems extremely excessive, unrealistic, pricey and unnecessarily intrusive. The point of Vada, to my knowledge, is to know your whereabouts all year long (GSP said he's willing do it for the remaining of his career).They can surprise you at any moment, which means you're taking a giant risk if you're using.

Regardless of various loopholes, it's a step forward considering his status within the sport.

8/11/13 1:07 PM
PR
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely a step forward.
8/11/13 1:25 PM
The Persian Devil
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal -
Tad Ghostal - 

Yes.

Although, as far as I understand it, HGH it only detectable for a very short space of time anyway.
36 hours i think. Phone Post
8/11/13 1:27 PM
Tilla

Why is GSP so bothered about testing now?

8/11/13 1:44 PM
DatSpider

Tilla - Why is GSP so bothered about testing now?

Who cares, really (besides you asking lol)? As long as it's done.

We will never know, it could be something as simply as an reporter asking him straight up - like he said in the article I posted...
8/11/13 2:15 PM
EvilMaster

All championship fights should involve VADA testing.

Georges is doing something good for MMA here, he is setting a trend that hopefully will be adopted in all weight classes.

Zuffa should be picking up the tab though. And Zuffa should insist on this for all championship fights in the future.

Good job Georges. Props for having the balls to be a trend setter.
8/11/13 2:27 PM
Dead President
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tad Ghostal -

I thought the whole point of VADA testing was that they have to know your whereabouts 365 days a year and can test you at any point? If GSP is only paying for testing in the lead up to the fight then you're right, it's pointless.
Both of you are cunts. Unbelievable. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 2:40 PM
Hikikomori

DatSpider - 

Tell me about another athlete who is tested once a month year round? That seems extremely excessive, unrealistic, pricey and unnecessarily intrusive. The point of Vada, to my knowledge, is to know your whereabouts all year long (GSP said he's willing do it for the remaining of his career).They can surprise you at any moment, which means you're taking a giant risk if you're using.

Regardless of various loopholes, it's a step forward considering his status within the sport.

Donaire
8/11/13 2:41 PM
aarick161

Blah blah whatever. With the money he makes he can afford the undetectable shit Angel Heredia and countless others peddle. Hendricks most likely cannot. All this would do is make sure the playing field is in St. Pierre's favor. Nice PR move though. Sorry for pointing out the obvious. Of course everyone on here thinks his gyno nipples and distended abs are from creatine, right? Or that he's so much better than the 80% ( or whatever the real number is) of fighters that use PEDs that he can beat them all clean (eg Lance Armstrong). Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 2:50 PM
Tilla

Why wasn't GSP doing this when he was built like a tank and on a roll? He only mentions it now that his mass has decreased!

Why is he only doing now? Is it because Hendricks has been laying people like Fitch out with one shot whilst GSP needs 25 minutes to do the job and still can't do it?

It's Pac/May all over again!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.