UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC & NHL enforcer team up to fight Parkinsons

8/11/13 10:40 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

6' 2" 217 pound Boston Bruins enforcer Shawn Thornton is one of the best fighters in the NHL. And then he started supplementing his 15 plus years of boxing by learning Jiu-Jitsu at Kenny Florian's gym.

"Maybe the average fan doesn't think we do, but yeah, you've got to actually learn how to throw a punch if you're going to scrap in the NHL," said Thornton.

Naturally enough, Thornton is a mixed martial arts fan.

"UFC's kind of our get together night," Thornton said. "After the Stanley Cup we wanted to get the guys together in private and just hang out, so everyone came over to my place to watch the fights and have a few beers. Even the guys who aren't big fans were still glued to the fights."

While Thorton is a ferocious competitor, in his spare time he directs the Shawn Thornton Foundation, which raises awareness, funds innovative research, and helps to relieve the burden and improve the quality of life for patients striken with Parkinsons and cancer.

Wednesday night in Boston, Thornton, UFC president Dana White, and UFC Hall of Famer Forrest Griffin will host a "UFC Homecoming fundraiser for the charity at Barrio Cantina in Boston from 6-10 pm.

"It's such a terrible, terrible disease," said Thornton of Parkinsons. "My grandmother fought it as well as she could, but it was just so bad watching what she went through. I had to do something about it. These guys from the UFC, they don't really get enough credit for how much charitable work they do. They've got a busy week and they're making the time to come out and do it. It's going to be a fun night."

For more information, please check out ufchomecoming.eventbrite.com.

Read entire article...

8/11/13 10:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bad News Garand
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's awesome, Thornton seems like such a good dude off the ice. He's always seems to be doing different kinds of charitable work around Boston. Phone Post 3.0
8/11/13 10:56 PM
zebers3
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad News Garand - That's awesome, Thornton seems like such a good dude off the ice. He's always seems to be doing different kinds of charitable work around Boston. Phone Post 3.0

Agreed, Thornton is awesome.

8/11/13 11:14 PM
Kings21
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its always great to see something like this. Props to Thornton. Always hear good things about him.
8/12/13 12:01 AM
LayzieTheSavage
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. 

Love seeing things like this, especially since my pops has Parkinsons.

8/12/13 1:09 AM
Pancake Syrup Ali
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thorty!

8/12/13 1:49 AM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a Canucks fan, officially, on the ice, I hate Shawn Thornton. But this is awesome, good for him.
8/12/13 2:37 AM
lb420lb
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's awesome to see the respect these NHL have for martial arts. It's great to see them also doing great things off the ice. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 2:46 AM
Phillysliced
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PR - As a Canucks fan, officially, on the ice, I hate Shawn Thornton. But this is awesome, good for him.
Ya I hate the bruins and everyone on that team , but good on em Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 2:50 AM
uniquetechnique
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet! TY Dana and everyone involved.
8/12/13 12:14 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thornton is a tough cookie. Not the best fighter, but seems like a great guy and awesome teammate! Plays well too for a 4th liner.

8/12/13 1:24 PM
MMA Playwright
487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Former boxing champion Paulie Ayala is doing some great things for people with Parkinson's as well.

"Ayala trains each individual differently, for free, depending on how the Parkinson's has progressed. The Fort Worth native said that at first only 25 percent of his participants could step into the ring without help. Now all of them can not only slip their bodies through the ropes but also bob and weave on the canvas.

"I try to read them to understand what they feel — figure out how to isolate body parts so they can focus on one thing at a time," Ayala said. "One arm. One leg. Their core."

Dr. Saud Khan, a neurologist at John Peter Smith Hospital, said speech therapy and physical therapy are recommended for people with Parkinson's, which starts on one side of the body and gradually progresses.

One million Americans are living with the disease, and 50,000 to 60,000 new cases are diagnosed each year, according to the National Parkinson Foundation. About 4 percent of people with Parkinson's are diagnosed before their 50th birthday, and men are 1½ times more likely to have Parkinson's.

"I think we do have enough evidence as studies show that a boxing program is good for Parkinson's patients," he said.

Ayala, who said he was looking for a way to satisfy his philanthropic itch after permanently stepping out of the competitive ring in 2004, got the idea to work with Parkinson's patients when Stacy Christopher came knocking on his door.

A former board member for the Dallas chapter of the American Parkinson Disease Association, Christopher was inspired to visit Ayala after hearing about an Indianapolis-based gym founded in 2006.

"I knew I could help," Ayala said. "Six months later, she came back with more information. We started out with four people.""

Entire link: http://www.thestate.com/2013/08/12/2908675/former-boxing-champion-helps-fight.html

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2013/08/12/2908675/former-boxing-champion-helps-fight.html#storylink=cp
8/12/13 2:54 PM
Herman Munster

Good story...  Leafs will still kick Boston's ass next year along with most of the rest of the leagues ass including being the top team in Canada.  Absolutely not a leaf fan just felt like mentioning it in the thread.

8/12/13 3:06 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PR - As a Canucks fan, officially, on the ice, I hate Shawn Thornton. But this is awesome, good for him.
This. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 3:06 PM
i remember halloween

See you there brosephs.
8/12/13 3:07 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster -

Good story...  Leafs will still kick Boston's ass next year along with most of the rest of the leagues ass including being the top team in Canada.  Absolutely not a leaf fan just felt like mentioning it in the thread.

LOL, wut?? Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 4:16 PM
Mexican Janitor
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster -

I owe you a vote up Phone Post
8/12/13 5:32 PM
choadler
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thornton is awesome. He did a lot for a 501c3 charity we have for pediatric cancer. By all accounts, hes a great guy. Good to hear of this event. Will tryto go. Phone Post
8/12/13 6:40 PM
minotauro11
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Shawn Thornton a lot. I'm not from Boston but I am a Bruins fan (but I'm a Blues fan first) so I'm excited to hear about Thornton training jiujitsu with Florian and being a fellow mma fan. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 8:42 PM
choadler
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sprawl'n'Stall - Thornton is a tough cookie. Not the best fighter, but seems like a great guy and awesome teammate! Plays well too for a 4th liner.

Not the best fighter? Ok, best might be a reach but he cleanly wins 90% of his scraps. People are scared shitless of him on the ice. Phone Post
8/12/13 9:23 PM
RentedMule

NHL players may be the only professional athletes more level-headed and approachable than MMA fighters. Funny considering they're two of the toughest sports to compete in, especially at such a high level.

From a Penguins fan, good on Thornton.

8/12/13 9:53 PM
Theory of Everything
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's part of the hockey culture. This stuff is ingrained in these guys. When Burkie was in Toronto, he said they'll do community work or get shipped out to another team. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 11:04 PM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RentedMule - NHL players may be the only professional athletes more level-headed and approachable than MMA fighters. Funny considering they're two of the toughest sports to compete in, especially at such a high level.

From a Penguins fan, good on Thornton.

I think the toughness of those sports is what makes these guys more level-headed and approachable. Both sports you can easily have one freak injury or have an opponent cheap shot you and your career could be done. Because of that there's a need for a healthy respect for your opponents.
8/12/13 11:18 PM
dogfb
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster - 

lmao... voted up. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.