UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roach: Silva lost because he got lazy

8/12/13 2:31 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Freddie Roach was recently a guest on the 'The MMA Hour' and spoke, amongst other things, about Anderson Silva's recent loss to Chris Weidman and what he though went wrong for Silva:

"I definitely saw him get knocked out," Roach said, referring to Silva's UFC 162 loss to Chris Weidman on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "My thought on that is that he just plays around too much. I think it's too easy for him sometimes. He just got caught playing around. In this sport, one punch can change things, and this isn't a sport you should actually play [around].

"The thing is, I think he gets a little bored in there because he's talented, and he seems like he's more talented than a lot of the guys. He is one of the best I've ever worked with. He understands timing and distance really well. I think he could've avoided taking those shots, but again, I'm not sure what his thought process was. I think he was just a little bit lazy and playing around too much."

read entire article...

8/12/13 2:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mix6APlix
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stunning insight. Phone Post
8/12/13 2:40 PM
Pernicious
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What an incredible confluence of Freddie Roach saying what we've already hashed over 100 times and UG Blog posting it in a thread we've already seen 1000 times.

Separately, they are ho-hum. But together...why, I'm reminded a little of Voltron here. The result is most certainly greater than the sum of its parts.
8/12/13 2:51 PM
Ip Man 81

At least he is admitting Weidman won because Silva got cocky.
Indirectly

Lol! Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 3:11 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I agree with him, too little credit is being given to Wiedman and his camp: they trained for a situation in camp and executed that plan when the opportunity presented itself.

8/12/13 3:30 PM
Jacinto
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think we will see Weidman work harder to get Silva to the ground for gnp in the next fight and avoiding the standup as much as he can. While Chris has good standup himself standing with Silva, especially with him training MT hard for the rematch, is playing Russian Roulette imo.
8/12/13 3:39 PM
Pat Giles

Jay Jackson - he lost because he got beat up by the better fighter that night

clown ass got koed . for being a clown
Fighter bashing. Classy Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 3:46 PM
Rudi

This must be a mod account. I swear you are unbannable. You've said a ton of racist comments before now you're fighter bashing. Phone Post
8/12/13 3:57 PM
latinthunder
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too old & slow to to fight like that with a younger more motivated fighter. We already know Chris is the better ground fighter that is a given. The advantage Silva has is his striking but he needs to get back to basics & abandoned his Roy Jones style. It work against wind mill throwing Forrest but it don't make it smart to use against Chris.
8/12/13 4:14 PM
Ip Man 81

latinthunder - Too old & slow to to fight like that with a younger more motivated fighter. We already know Chris is the better ground fighter that is a given. The advantage Silva has is his striking but he needs to get back to basics & abandoned his Roy Jones style. It work against wind mill throwing Forrest but it don't make it smart to use against Chris.
Too old and slow? He's probably faster than 90% of there fighters at that weight still, more skilled than 95% of that fighters at that weight. He got caught is all. Phone Post 3.0
8/12/13 4:58 PM
kicktothecrotch
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard so many people say that Anderson got caught because he was being cocky/bored with how much better he was than Weidman but I never hear the fact that Anderson was missing a lot of his punches. I can't remember Anderson ever missing as many punches actually I can't really remember him ever completely missing and hitting nothing but air like he did against Weidman. I think Anderson knew that win or lose Weidman was going to make him look way less dominant than normal and the possibility of losing a decision was not something he wanted to risk.
8/12/13 5:01 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kicktothecrotch - I've heard so many people say that Anderson got caught because he was being cocky/bored with how much better he was than Weidman but I never hear the fact that Anderson was missing a lot of his punches. I can't remember Anderson ever missing as many punches actually I can't really remember him ever completely missing and hitting nothing but air like he did against Weidman. I think Anderson knew that win or lose Weidman was going to make him look way less dominant than normal and the possibility of losing a decision was not something he wanted to risk.

He actually landed a left hook during the same counter that put him down. Basically the same counter hook (just as flush but probably not as much torque) that put out Forrest.

8/12/13 5:21 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva was missing all the punches he througfh at Weidman and getting tagged quite a bit despite his attempted head movement long before he was playing around too much. Weidman was beating Silva at his own game and that's not even counting the kneebar he almost caught him in.
8/12/13 5:26 PM
Rudi

RyanVonDoom -
Rudi - 

This must be a mod account. I swear you are unbannable. You've said a ton of racist comments before now you're fighter bashing. Phone Post

And the reason you're still here is???
The reason you're staking me bitch? Phone Post
8/12/13 5:35 PM
kicktothecrotch
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zedlepln - 
kicktothecrotch - I've heard so many people say that Anderson got caught because he was being cocky/bored with how much better he was than Weidman but I never hear the fact that Anderson was missing a lot of his punches. I can't remember Anderson ever missing as many punches actually I can't really remember him ever completely missing and hitting nothing but air like he did against Weidman. I think Anderson knew that win or lose Weidman was going to make him look way less dominant than normal and the possibility of losing a decision was not something he wanted to risk.

He actually landed a left hook during the same counter that put him down. Basically the same counter hook (just as flush but probably not as much torque) that put out Forrest.

Don't get me wrong I still give the standup to Anderson I just meant that he wasn't landing the shots that he wanted to, which is something I had never seen from him before. He was definitely landing shots I just think having someone push the pace on him without being able to land his normal counter shots threw his timing and focus out the window.
8/12/13 5:38 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zedlepln -

While I agree with him, too little credit is being given to Wiedman and his camp: they trained for a situation in camp and executed that plan when the opportunity presented itself.

I agree with this. Silva clowned a bunch of guys and still won. Weidman had to ignore Admiral Akbar screaming in the back of his mind and just go after Silva when he was clowning. Most others froze in that situation. Phone Post
8/12/13 5:47 PM
zedlepln

UGCTT_EnderTL - 
zedlepln -

I agree with this. Silva clowned a bunch of guys and still won. Weidman had to ignore Admiral Akbar screaming in the back of his mind and just go after Silva when he was clowning. Most others froze in that situation. Phone Post

Agreed, but there's much more to it than that. He actually trained for a fighter that slips. Longo got training partners to emulate this technique in sparring, and he worked counter techniques to address it. If anyone had prepared for it in any of Anderson's previous fights, it didn't show.

And it's not as easy as it might look to hit someone with their hands down. I love this sparring drill, even as slow as I am. You are forced to move your feet, follow your punches and break the alternating side pattern that so many people train ad nauseum. If you don't, even my slow ass can dodge you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.