UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roach: Shogun not punching like a girl now

8/13/13 11:49 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1073 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua is 5-5 in the UFC, and coming off a loss to Alexander Gustafsson in December. On Saturday at UFC FN 26 Shogun fights Chael Sonnen in the main event. Rua is looking for every advantage, which including training with legendary boxing coach Freddie Roach.

Roach appeared recently on "The MMA Hour" to discuss Shogun's progress.

“It’s funny, when we first started working together he wasn’t punching really hard because he didn’t have his balance and his feet under him, and I told him he punched like a girl. The last day he said, ‘Freddie, can I ask you a question? Do I punch like a boy now?’ I said, ‘Yes, you do.’ He’s really fun guy to be around and a really hard worker. We had a really good time.”

“He didn’t have his feet under him. He wasn’t pivoting off the right foot at the right time. The thing about striking is having weight on the right foot at the right time, and driving off that foot. He was more or less just using his upper body, which is okay. But if you get your whole body behind your shot, it’s just much, much better."

"The thing is, he did improve quite a bit. His punching power did go from, like, a C to an A really quickly."

"He went from an okay puncher to a great puncher in less than a week. He picks up on things very quickly because of the athlete he is. It was like night and day, when he started to when he left. He really, really had a lot more power under his shots. But the thing is, he has to sit down with his shots a little bit more. Sometimes it's a little bit harder with MMA because of the aspect of being kicked at the same time, but it did work for him. When we worked off angles it worked really, really well. I was really happy with the progress."

"The thing is, sometimes when you're getting a guy on the ground, and the ground and pounding, they're just kind of arm punches -- just not really getting their body behind it where they could end it with one shot instead of 50. So it does get a little frustrating at that point, but the thing is, again, it's not their main sport at first for most of the guys. So it's just a learning process, and I'm very open to helping these guys out. It works out well for me because I love working with great athletes."

What do you think UG? Is Shogun going to wake up Saturday with a losing UFC record for the first time since he lost his UFC opener vs. Forrest Griffin six years ago?

8/13/13 11:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
In Limbo
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shogun for life

i think he TKOs chael in the 2nd

8/13/13 11:58 AM
Joebo311
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hoping chael gets hit head knocked off Phone Post
8/13/13 12:06 PM
12SixElbow
614 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The thing is, he did improve quite a bit. His punching power did go from, like, a C to an A really quickly."

SCARY thought when talking about someone like Shogun

8/13/13 12:15 PM
spliff
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 weeks of training isn't going to make a differece.. he throws punches like fedor and it works most of the time
8/13/13 12:22 PM
ranier wolfcastle
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shogun was a killer in pride, undefeated aside from the coleman fluke. his punching was aduquate back then. i have a feeling he has peaked already

8/13/13 12:25 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -

shogun was a killer in pride, undefeated aside from the coleman fluke. his punching was aduquate back then. i have a feeling he has peaked already

His punching on the feet was always mostly brawling though. His bjj and ground and pound incorporated with the soccer kicks and knees is really what he was best at. Phone Post
8/13/13 12:33 PM
Mufasatheking

ranier wolfcastle - 

His punching on the feet isnt what made him so dominant. It was his Muay thai (leg kicks, clinch), soccer kicks, stomps and the way hed dive in for GNP. His punching in Pride was pretty mediocre (or at least, never demonstrated to be that good).
8/13/13 12:46 PM
Mexican Janitor

Glad to hear but unless I see it in the cage I won't hold my breathe. I don't want to live in a world where Shogun gets beat up by Chael. Too bad it's likely to be a reality...Rua hasn't looked good AT ALL. It seems like he gasses on his walk out to the octagon...hopefully Rua goes out with some pride Phone Post
8/13/13 12:53 PM
TuLegit

Those boxing stances will get him put on his butt real quick. Worst fight for him to focus on his stand up. Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 2:06 PM
ante_up81
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why has everyone forgot he went to freddie to train for lil nog? he was there the beginning of summer...
8/13/13 2:18 PM
Ghost of Retard
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freddie should lay on the ground with the mitts and let shogun soccer kick them. I would like to hear his opinion of that shit Phone Post
8/13/13 2:26 PM
Donoghue88
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael won't stand with Shogun
By the time Shogun gets a chance to strike he'll be gassed

I'm seeing Chael win by TKO or sub

8/13/13 2:30 PM
Ip Man 81

Shoguns punching power won't matter since he'll be on his back the whole fight. Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 2:56 PM
Jacinto
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Money to be made on Shogun at +110 imo.
8/13/13 2:57 PM
Ip Man 81

Jacinto - Money to be made on Shogun at +110 imo.
Money to be lost imo Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 3:04 PM
Jacinto

Ip Man 81 - 
Jacinto - Money to be made on Shogun at +110 imo.
Money to be lost imo Phone Post 3.0

lol

Sonnen has only had one finish since 2007 and that was the arm triangle against Stann who has no ground game. Rua has a very good ground game and went to a split decision against Dan Henderson. Sonnen won't keep him on the ground the whole fight and he might even get subbed when he does.
8/13/13 3:14 PM
Zaph
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TuLegit - Those boxing stances will get him put on his butt real quick. Worst fight for him to focus on his stand up. Phone Post 3.0
It's actually a good move. It's not like he can bring his wrestling to a level where it'll neutralize Sonnen's takedowns in that short a time, so he might as well focus on what he can do at the beginning of each round. Phone Post
8/13/13 3:29 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Shogun's punching power has increased anywhere close to what Roach is boasting then I'm expecting him to KO Sonnen if it stays on the feet more than 5 total minutes.
8/13/13 3:48 PM
Jacinto

KingofBJJ - 
Donoghue88 - Chael won't stand with Shogun
By the time Shogun gets a chance to strike he'll be gassed

I'm seeing Chael win by TKO or sub

I'll take that bet and raise you.  Chael  has never met a fighter like Rua.  Rua isn't a polished and talented fighter like Silva and Jones.  He comes from the town called Hard Knocks on the street called Beat Down.

In his fights against Jones and Silva he simply got beat, when he meets Rua it is going to be an ass whuppin'!

First round stoppage like his  name was Forrest or Liddell.

This.

lol at Chael subbing or tko'ing shogun.
8/13/13 6:56 PM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freddie perhaps Shogun's way of punching was giving him an edge with his leg kicks...

You can't leg kick punching and moving like a boxer.
Shogun is going to ruin his MMA performance

8/13/13 7:40 PM
NaughtiiDàwg
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ouch!!! Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 9:05 PM
Sar9on

RockMeAmadeus - So Shogun went from punching like a girl to punching like a boy now?

He punches like Superman now. Phone Post
8/13/13 9:13 PM
deadlysyn

I'm not saying you can't learn a lot from Freddie the man is a legend and has a great deal of useful knowledge that can help anyone but in the sport of MMA especially when it comes to striking no one martial art is better then the rest and you can't alway committed to striking precisely in one style.

Committing to much to a boxing stance or style will get you destroyed by a good kicker. Having to much of a standard kickboxing style will get you picked apart by someone with good hands. To much of a Muay Thai will will get you taken down. To much Karate leaves you open to leg kicks or open to someone with a good slip hook. The key is what to keep from each and what to throw away.

I think for the most part shogun had good striking for MMA hopefully he doesn't change things to much Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.