UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator releases remaining female fighters

8/13/13 10:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney just released a statement saying Bellator has released the remaining female fighters on the roster.

“Jessica Eye, Jessica Aguilar and Felice Herrig represent all that is good in women’s MMA," said Rebney. "Both Eye and Aguilar are ranked No. 1 in the world in their respective divisions and carry themselves with class and distinction elevating the women’s game. I’ve said many times that fighters need to fight and fight often.  Given our current focus, we are not in position to provide these very deserving women regular and reoccurring fights on a large platform. And, I felt it was best to let them go and secure options that did.  I genuinely wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors and will be rooting for each of them wherever they fight.”

Bellator added a 115 lb women's division with a season three tournament, starting in August of 2010. Zoila Frausto-Gurgel became the initial champion, but was injured and never defended her title. Bellator had single women's matches on an ad hoc basis, but never added another women's tournament.

Bellator's loss will prove to be a gain for other promotions. Herrig already signed with Invicta FC. Aguilar is the world's top ranked 115 pound fighter, and will likely also sign with Invicta. Eye can fight at 135, and would be a sound addition to the UFC's women's bantamweight division.

8/13/13 11:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cross3dout
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC plz expand the women's market, these girls deserve to fight. Pioneer oh pioneers Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 11:04 PM
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC needs to think about the 115 division. It's stacked with enough talent to justify the addition of a new division.

8/13/13 11:17 PM
Rudi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cross3dout - UFC plz expand the women's market, these girls deserve to fight. Pioneer oh pioneers Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post
8/13/13 11:35 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 08/13/13 11:36 PM

The UFC can effectively secure 80% or more of the best female talent by adding a 115lb division.  most of the top female mma fighters can compete at either 115 or 135 (even if it isnt the optimal weight they can still compete by going up or down one class).

with a 115lb and a 135lb division in the UFC, female mma can be developed properly.  As the talent improves and increases then you can add the 125lb, 105lb, and 145lb as needed.

8/14/13 12:12 AM
B_Goetz

I'm a Bellator supporter, so that's a huge disappointment. I'm surprised they aren't snatching up as much talent as they can get ahold of at 125 before the UFC opens that division and gets the talent for themselves. The women fight relatively cheap for the talent they bring to the table, and they rarely have boring fights.
8/14/13 12:13 AM
B_Goetz

I don't want to believe it, but it looks like they really are falling apart over there.
8/14/13 12:18 AM
JustAnotherMMAFan
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jessica Eye in the UFC: Yay!

Glad to see Felice in Invicta, and I hope the same happens to JAG!
8/14/13 12:24 AM
I LOVE GSP

just let them all go to Invicta please.
8/14/13 12:33 AM
MMAzombie

Bjorn believes fighter need to fight and since he and Bellator didn't have a women's tournament in the future, he did the right thing allowing those ladies to land elsewhere

Good job Bellator very honorable Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 12:36 AM
BertR

It's unfortunate but probably a smart decision. The market for female fighting seems to be too weak and undeveloped right now for the "big name" talents to be spread out between three orgs, one of which a whole promotion is based on. This gives the UFC (and Invicta) an opportunity if they develop the market right
8/14/13 12:54 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 08/14/13 12:54 AM

Bellator needs to get rid of the HW division next. 

8/14/13 1:20 AM
gabemadrid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator dismantling? This news plus the rumors of the layoffs and spike moving fight master to late night. Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 2:02 AM
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much

Will one of them fight Sarah Kaufman now? Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 8:32 AM
Blazing Knees

They should have 115 fights" girls vs boys for the world series of love". Creepy vs Felice-make it happen UFC.

Anybody tell me what song that's from without google.

8/14/13 10:03 AM
HandyDarsh
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

Lol this guy Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 10:52 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

duckhuntgangsta -

Why is everyone in other threads acting like this is a big deal. Smart move. It takes a lot of work to build a division that has a limited talent pool. I also agree about the heavies...no point, especially since they do not consider themselves a feeder league

Limited? Dude your bias against women is showing here. Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 11:10 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

ASAP and run the later WEC model. Maybe not even lhw. Phone Post
8/14/13 11:10 AM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep the tourneys though. Phone Post
8/14/13 12:08 PM
thatdude21601
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

115 isn't going to come fast enough. Shit's past experimental at this point.
8/14/13 12:30 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh - 
MMALOGIC -

Actually makes sense to me. Were I to try to take an mma promotion national, I would avoid the HW class. Too damned expensive.

8/14/13 12:52 PM
Chris27

HandyDarsh - 
MMALOGIC -

He is right, their HW div is very shallow and nobody cares about it.  Bellator is best from BW to WW, MW is very weak and LHW is getting better with Mo and now Tito/page, though old they add name value to the div.

HW/MW are their worst/weakest divs by far, getting rid of HW would not be a bad idea.

8/14/13 1:17 PM
jqvwxyz

Blazing Knees - They should have 115 fights" girls vs boys for the world series of love". Creepy vs Felice-make it happen UFC.

Anybody tell me what song that's from without google.

It's a Prince song for sure, but I can't seem to come up with the name because I am not googling. I can hear the song in my head, just can't get to the part where he says the title. I will just throw one out there then, is it "Lets go crazy"?

On topic, I enjoyed the womens fights in bellator, but this is an understandable move for them. There is a good organization already for those classes (Invicta), and they have most of the talent. Not really worth it for bellator.
8/14/13 2:05 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have not been a fan of the Bellator HW division, but they need to keep it at this point

Volkov is solid and let's see if Minakov can take it to the next level, they signed some other decent guys and still have another solid Russian for the next tournament, just put them all in the next tourney and see what they have

The average Joe likes the HWs so keep em
8/14/13 2:06 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

duckhuntgangsta - 
BTT-RyannVonDoom - 
duckhuntgangsta -

Why is everyone in other threads acting like this is a big deal. Smart move. It takes a lot of work to build a division that has a limited talent pool. I also agree about the heavies...no point, especially since they do not consider themselves a feeder league

Limited? Dude your bias against women is showing here. Phone Post 3.0

Bias? I love WMMA just like I love men's HW division. It does not change that the HW divisions and WMMA do not have as deep of a talent pool. 

Im defending Bellator for Christ sake, what do you want from me man?

I will murder you in the night mother fucker! I know you're the dog from duck hunt, and I know where you sleep!

HW division has plenty of talent, even with thier being two major orgs. and WMMA has plenty of talent also, bellator did not tap into it though and this is the smart move to let go what they have and focus on building the brand up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.